PDA

View Full Version : Standing snipe

Udonge
Aug 23, 2012, 05:14 AM
How exactly does it work? It says that you get a damage bonus if you stand still. Does that mean you can use PAs and still get the damage bonus as long as you don't move? Does shooting in the air (because you are stationary while shooting) count as standing still? Does this skill apply to launchers as well? Also would this skill be a better choice than r-atk boosts?

Coatl
Aug 23, 2012, 06:02 AM
Shooting in the air doesn't count as standing still.
It being better than the r-atk boosts is completely up to the ranger..

Tanarin
Aug 23, 2012, 06:56 AM
Indeed, coatl is right, If you are jumping in place, you will NOT get the bonus for jumping. As far as it being better than the R-attack boosts though, Coatl is wrong, at least partially. Standing snipe is a percentage based boost. With it being a percentage boost, that means it will scale the damage with your level, and thus in the long run will result in more damage. As far as HOW much more though, that we do not know as we do not have the complete damage formula ATM.

Coatl
Aug 23, 2012, 07:09 AM
Also the boost does apply to launchers.
So now you have to pick between mobility and raw power.

doomdragon83
Aug 23, 2012, 07:41 AM
Standing Snipe imo isn't worth it.

Sure you get a percentage based increase but according to the skill calculator, at level 10, you get an extra 15% which to me doesn't sound like much of a boost. Not only that, you must stand still and shoot, not a good thing since you want to be on the move; even if you have a launcher you want to be able to evade attacks in a moments notice plus it's easier to jump shoot with the launcher (fire a bit faster/standing animation is slow).

Taking that into consideration, there will hardly be times where you can just stay afar and shoot. If anything, it's better to spend those skill points on something like Weak Hit Advance. It boosts damage to weak areas by 25% and there are 2 WHA on the Ranger tree so that's a max of +50% damage which is great especially since you'd want to aim for those areas anyway.

I would assume SS works with ARs, Launchers and Gunslashes but so does WHA. As for SS being better than R-ATK up, my opinion on this is no, then again, R-ATK up is a static boost of 50 (no percent, just 50) at max level plus another R-ATK up for a total of 100 R-ATK so get it if you feel like it.

With all of that said, I guess it depends on your play style but for myself, I wouldn't be able to use SS enough to justify putting any points into it. If anyone can argue in favor of SS, I'm all ears.

Tanarin
Aug 23, 2012, 08:16 AM
Well the thing is, we don't know HOW bonuses stack in this game. My best theory on what I observe is that it is multiplicative. If that is indeed the case, you are talking somewhere around the range of a 64% boost in damage with both WSA maxed and even a level 5 Standing snipe (1.25*1.25*1.05) This would obviously be on top of the innate damage increase you get for hitting a weak spot. So I still stand by suggestion at least dabbing in Standing snipe.

lagnarok
Aug 23, 2012, 08:27 AM
Standing snipe works with sneak shooter. (according to JP wiki)
So if you main in rifle, the damage boosts probably will help a lot with WHA.

doomdragon83
Aug 23, 2012, 08:59 AM
Standing snipe works with sneak shooter. (according to JP wiki)
So if you main in rifle, the damage boosts probably will help a lot with WHA.
Even if you crawl/"sneak" during Sneak Shooter? Not that I do that, I just want to know. If it works with Sneak, then I'd consider SS. I used the Skill calc and without doing the quest to get extra SP, at level 40, you can get both WHAs and SS maxed out and Weak Bullet set to level 3; I wish we got more points to use other skills too but I guess it can wait for the time being. So with Sneak, you can deal an extra 65% damage on weak spots. I still can't see using SS myself though, I've been using the AR a bit more lately but I switch to the launcher and I almost always jump first before launching.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 23, 2012, 09:40 AM

Sure you get a percentage based increase but according to the skill calculator, at level 10, you get an extra 15% which to me doesn't sound like much of a boost. Not only that, you must stand still and shoot, not a good thing since you want to be on the move; even if you have a launcher you want to be able to evade attacks in a moments notice plus it's easier to jump shoot with the launcher (fire a bit faster/standing animation is slow).

Taking that into consideration, there will hardly be times where you can just stay afar and shoot. If anything, it's better to spend those skill points on something like Weak Hit Advance. It boosts damage to weak areas by 25% and there are 2 WHA on the Ranger tree so that's a max of +50% damage which is great especially since you'd want to aim for those areas anyway.

I would assume SS works with ARs, Launchers and Gunslashes but so does WHA. As for SS being better than R-ATK up, my opinion on this is no, then again, R-ATK up is a static boost of 50 (no percent, just 50) at max level plus another R-ATK up for a total of 100 R-ATK so get it if you feel like it.

With all of that said, I guess it depends on your play style but for myself, I wouldn't be able to use SS enough to justify putting any points into it. If anyone can argue in favor of SS, I'm all ears.

agreed, with the level cap as low as it is, i went for r-atk and r-def along with standards like weakbullet+^_^+ WHA was the last thing i worked on before hitting cap, after level cap goes up though, a static boost of 100 r-atk isn't going to be much in the long run (talking 6 months-1 year from now) at which point percentage based stat boosts will trump r-atk up, of course by then, they will have new classes with their own skill trees making basic ranger a class for low levels to be set aside in favor of something stronger+^_^+ also, read somewhere dataminers think that new RA classes are going to need ranger at 30+ to switch to+^_^+

Coatl
Aug 23, 2012, 09:52 AM
agreed, with the level cap as low as it is, i went for r-atk and r-def along with standards like weakbullet+^_^+ WHA was the last thing i worked on before hitting cap, after level cap goes up though, a static boost of 100 r-atk isn't going to be much in the long run (talking 6 months-1 year from now) at which point percentage based stat boosts will trump r-atk up, of course by then, they will have new classes with their own skill trees making basic ranger a class for low levels to be set aside in favor of something stronger+^_^+ also, read somewhere dataminers think that new RA classes are going to need ranger at 30+ to switch to+^_^+

I don't think the new RA/gunner sub-class will necessarily be stronger than the current Ranger class. After all, apparently the sub-class will sacrifice the availability of the launcher for twin Mechas, and the Twin Mechas will have to be pretty damn good to replace the launchers.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 23, 2012, 10:10 AM
I don't think the new RA/gunner sub-class will necessarily be stronger than the current Ranger class. After all, apparently the sub-class will sacrifice the availability of the launcher for twin Mechas, and the Twin Mechas will have to be pretty damn good to replace the launchers.

considering how little i use the launcher as it is+^_^+ i won't have too big of an issue+^_^+ (i don't use the launcher not because i don't like it, it's just that every-time i use it, i get hit because i can't move or roll when i need to, also, my DPS on individual enemies is higher with my rifle)+^_^+

GoldenFalcon
Aug 23, 2012, 10:39 AM
My build has both weak hit advances maxed and standing snipe maxed
The change in damage dealt when standing still is closer to 25% though (in my overall experience of it), because it modifies your damage before reducing it by enemy defense

However, I still have the habit of hopping before shooting in quick battles, but I wouldn't need the extra damage in those cases anyway

Zorafim
Aug 23, 2012, 12:30 PM
Keep in mind you're still a low level. If you're worried about percentage boosts, keep in mind that you'll probably have about 400 attack without a weapon, and 800 with. You'll gain +50 Ratk from each +Ratk, which will allow you to equip weapons ten levels lower (I think?), while still provide a 12% boost in your unarmed attack power (6% with a weapon).

So, would you rather have better equipment, and have a 6% boost at all times? Or a 15% boost only when going on the offensive?

Silver Crow
Aug 23, 2012, 02:34 PM

I lol'd at "15% isn't much for 10 points". You might want to have a word or two with hunters.

Yunfa
Aug 23, 2012, 02:55 PM
^This

doomdragon83
Aug 23, 2012, 03:04 PM
I lol'd at "15% isn't much for 10 points". You might want to have a word or two with hunters.
I'm not talking about Hunters, nor is this thread about Hunter skills. I haven't really gotten into playing as the other 2 classes much so I wouldn't even know what to do with them skill-wise.

I still think that investing points into the WHAs is the better option.

satchko
Aug 23, 2012, 04:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUaPy56J3D8&feature=player_embedded
standing snipe lets u get those big ass numbers. ur base dmg gets multiplied by the headshot weakpoint damage, then again by putting applying weakpoint to the dome. and then again by standing snipe. keep in mind this dude has like +10 tigredor and stuff.

Lumpen Thingy
Aug 23, 2012, 05:57 PM
standing snipe is well worth it for rifles don't listen to anyone else who says otherwise

iTz PooKiie xx
Aug 23, 2012, 07:46 PM
standing snipe is well worth it for rifles don't listen to anyone else who says otherwise

I don't say it's worth it.. But what do I know 0.o

Lumpen Thingy
Aug 23, 2012, 08:45 PM
I don't say it's worth it.. But what do I know 0.o
I will make dogs eat you where you stand dawg :D

pikachief
Aug 23, 2012, 08:51 PM

well judging by the fact that most people don't seem to like standing snipe because they don't like standing around much... idk if that would go exactly as planned.

Alenoir
Aug 23, 2012, 08:58 PM
well judging by the fact that most people don't seem to like standing snipe because they don't like standing around much... idk if that would go exactly as planned.

If you want to be actually accurate and have your hits hit, you'd stand still. (Because yeah, rifle misses a lot while you're moving.)

Enforcer MKV
Aug 23, 2012, 09:01 PM

Because I couldn't resist.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m94viwG1lF1qbpihmo2_1280.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

JeyKama
Aug 23, 2012, 09:23 PM
The problem with Standing Snipe is being patient enough to let it activate. You have to be standing still for at least 1 second (maybe 2) before the game registers that you have indeed been standing still (much like with loss of rifle accuracy until you stop moving for a sec). So you don't want to just suddenly stop moving and tap Sneak Shot (or try to Weak Bullet for that matter). It's hard to break that habit, much like not jumping with your launcher.

ANYWAY. If you can get past that, then Standing Snipe is really nice, but I wouldn't level it over say, Weak Hit Advance, since the latter works all the time. I also wouldn't take R-ATK Up, but only because it requires a hefty investment into R-DEF Up to even get to it.

Miyoko
Aug 24, 2012, 02:55 PM
If you're wanting to stop moving to take advantage of standing snipes bonus damage, I find that a very short hop is a much faster way to stop than to let your character run through the "I'm coming to a stop" animation, which takes surprisingly long to do. Just lightly tap your jump button and let go of your movement key/stick, and you'll be standing still for that nice chunk of damage!