PDA

View Full Version : So I typed a big post and then...

Narugami
Aug 27, 2012, 08:59 AM
So I saw this thread (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200265) and I was typing this down. When I hit the post button, I was greeted with the closed thread message = = Here's what I typed down:

I saw the image and thought that it would make a nice story.

Bolded part is the important part I guess?

[SPOILER-BOX]
I was living in Arks ship Geofu (because ship 7) for as long as I can remember. Oftentimes, I heard fables and legends about my race conquering some distant planet called Earth. Earth supposedly was run without our technology, and without machines to maintain the temperature and oxygen levels. Over the years in that planet, my race developed the technology to enter the Wiefu, which they back then called "Outer space". At first, they landed on the planet's moon. Few decades later, they sent a robot expedition to a neighboring planet called Mars. A decade later, man stepped on Mars. This was the major event that led to my race being able to live in Wiefu. They took geological and atmospheric samples from Mars. The air is Mars was poison to my race, and the scientists were figuring out a way to neutralize the poisonous air. They tried to let a plant from Earth grow on Mars. It lasted two hours before it died. At this point of time, the Earth was getting sicker and less inhabitable for my race. The climate was changing and the polar ice caps was melting, increasing sea level and threatening to submerge continents to the ocean. The scientists tried to reduce sea level by transporting great amounts of seawater to man-made creeks and dams in Mars. They also hoped that bringing seawater to Mars will make it at least habitable. It didn't. NASA, the leading space organization at that time, took major heat and scorn from the people of my race when they reported the failure of making the neighboring planet habitable with the transport of seawater. It apparently was the cause of a massive depression in the economy of that era. In the midst of the media bashing and riots, a scientist, Doctor Saito, proposed an extremely daft idea: "contaminate" an organism with the air of Mars.

-CUT. I feel like I could go on entire paragraphs with this so I'm stopping it here.-

It feels fabricated to me, but what would I know? I wasn't there twenty thousand years ago. It's the information that was zapped to my brain by the history archive disks. Two days ago, Arks Ship Geofu was plunged into chaos. At first, we had the usual call to arms warnings of an incoming collision with alien life form. I'm a normal Arks civilian, not an Arks combatant. During times like these, civilians like me get evacuated in the bunker of the Arks ship while the combatants stay on the surface and fend them off. The Arks combatants usually finish the job within an hour or less, so I just take a quick nap whenever these things happen. When I wake up, the lights on the bunker doors would be green indicating it was safe to leave the bunker. After the warning calls, the announcement of the evacuation elevators opening will be heard in the residential area. Whenever announcements like these happen, they always mention to stay calm and that it will be over soon. They always deliver; it gets over pretty quickly, actually, but I always have this fear at the back of my head. What if something goes terribly wrong? I heard that the first encounter of alien life forms that the Arks people encountered lasted for over 9 hours. But after each encounter, the Arks started to have their coordination and movements planned and more refined, and the time used to deal with them gradually shortened. I wonder what the people in the evacuation bunks did for 9 hours. I walked towards the elevators pondering these thoughts.

I sigh as I arrive in front of the elevators. Everyone was with a group, casually talking and laughing. I was alone. I was always that person in the back, away from the crowds and keeping to myself, waiting for more people to enter the bunker before entering by myself, when there are less people. I wasn't always this way. Seven years ago, I had friends. We used to walk to the bunkers together and I would always be comforted by their words whenever I started to get scared when encounters like these happened. Now, I'm alone, taking a nap by myself in an empty room of the bunker whenever emergencies happened. My reminiscence of the good old days was interrupted by the sound of the elevator reaching the bunker. I stepped out, walked forward and entered a series of doors that scanned my hand, body, iris and fingerprints before opening. The familiar sound of chatter and laughing greeted me as I entered the bunker. I look around and I admire the engineers of the bunker once again. The bunker was well made, very spacious. I think it's about the size of an entire area of the floating continents in the planet Amduscia. They also had establishments obviously made for leisure. Fitness gyms, theaters, bars and restos, and even surprisingly love hotels. It reminds me of this area that existed back in Earth called Las Vegas. I once "roamed the streets", as it was phrased back in Earth, I never really entered the establishments. Except for the sweets bar and restaurants. A group of men jokingly punching each other went straight for the fitness gym. A group consisting of two female newmans and a female cast went to the sports resto while gossiping. It seems like the two newmans were being led by the female cast. Each one of them were with groups. I pull up my hoodie and walk to the usual sleeping quarters. The quarters was empty, as usual. I was the regular visitor. There's not even a person in charge here, unlike the other establishments. Not that one is actually needed anyway. At times there would be one or two other souls who would just rest, but the numbers never exceeded five. I jumped face first into the bed labelled L-74, my usual bed. You could tell they barely changed the sheets because I can still smell my own drool from the pillow. I smile at the thought of my grossness. No wonder I'm alone. I fall asleep with those thoughts.

When I woke up, I immediately thought something was wrong. I tried to put it at the farthest back of my head as I stood up and walked. I walked towards the bunker door, and I noticed the red light still up from afar. I blinked and took a second look. Still red. Must've been a short nap, I thought. I decided to just wait by the door. Standing for a minute or two won't kill me. As I reached the door, I immediately knew something was wrong. People were also out there standing and staring at the red light. I slowly approach the crowd. I overhear a newman and a human talk.

It's still red?

I know! What's going on out there?

I don't know! How long has it been?

Three hours and counting. I tho--

I stopped listening. Three hours? An emergency encounter for three hours? The thoughts fear raced to my head. What happened? Did our ship get taken over? Did the combatants lose? If they lost, we're all just sitting meat for whatever's out there. We can't defend ourselves. Our Arks combatants were our best and only defenses. How long do I have left to live? I haven't even done anything worthwhile with my life! Will I ever--

Hey, are you okay? I heard from infront of me. I looked up. I didn't even know I was already looking down. You look pale. You nervous? I examine the face of the human standing before me. He was about a feet taller than me. His face was fit, he had freckles on his nose and below his green eyes, dark skin complexion, and a goatee. He moved his concerned eyebrows and opened his mouth. "Well?" I quickly blinked twice and nodded. This was the first time in a long time that I talked to someone, much less someone asking me how I'm doing. I opened my mouth and focused my eyes down, away from his face, embarrassed that I was staring, and let out two words. I stuttered. "I-I'm f-fine." I haven't even talked in a while, and I even doubt myself if I ever said those two words. He shrugs, obviously seeing my nervousness, pats me on the shoulder and says it'll be fine. He told me how he had a daughter signed up as a combatant and that how she can be relied on in the worst situations. I wondered if he was trying to calm me down by telling me about his daughter or if he was trying to calm himself down by saying his thoughts out loud. It didn't matter. I liked the long forgotten feeling of interaction with another live being. I couldn't say anything. I just grinned whenever he said something positive, matching his smile, and then went back to a pokerface when he carries on. When he reached the point of what her daughter told her before she went to the combatant residence of Geofu, he looked at me and asked me why I wasn't a combatant. It wasn't a strange question. Most people get trained and listed at the age of ten. They would live in the training grounds of the Arks ship, be trained for four years and be an official combatant at the age of fourteen or fifteen. They would then be given a month to spend in the civilian area before being permanently reassigned to the combatant area. That's how everyone's lives go by, unless of course, you're deemed unfit for fighting or you fail the training courses. I pouted my lips as I pondered whether or not to tell this man my reason. Part of me wanted to because I longed for social interaction, and that the time I spend telling this man my story would partially satisfy the longing I have, but part of me doesn't want to because usually training course drop outs are often looked down upon. Before I could reach a decision, the ground shakes.

Two years ago, the ground shook. It wasn't really the "ground", it was the ship itself. An asteroid belt was apparently headed our way and the ship maneuvered itself to safety, causing sudden movements and jerks that we weren't used to, and thus shaking. That would have been the first thought that would come to my head if it was a different day. But not this day. Just three hours ago, the emergency broadcasts echoed throughout Geofu. The civilians went to the safety bunker and the combatants to defend. I dropped a cold sweat. The man next to me let out a nervous laugh. Must be the reason why it's taking so long, they're fighting in the middle of an asteroid field. Actually, that would make sense. But part of me is still paranoid and refuses to accept that hypothesis. The others seem to have heard or reached the same conclusion as the old man, so they started leaving the door with a relieved sigh. Some are still obviously bothered but the people they were with managed to convince them to leave and spend their time somewhere else. The door was starting to get less crowded now and people are laughing it off as they walk away. I saw a male human and a female newman couple walking towards the direction of the love hotel. The man talking to me stood up and said his farewells, and that he has to go back to his friends in the bar to update them. I'll be honest, I felt sad that he was leaving. Maybe because just listening to him talk made me feel a little sociable, and somehow hoped that he'll be a friend. Well, I got kicked back to reality. I turn around to face the door. There was just a handful of us left. There was a trio of casts, two newmans and another fellow human, each with their own group, talking amongst themselves. Being the only one there, and maybe because of the influence of listening to someone talk, I felt like I wanted to say something.

D-do you guys wanna check it out?

Everyone stops talking and looks in my direction. I swallow and nervously say it again. Do you want to see what's happening outside? It was taboo. Although you could leave the bunker if you needed to, no one really left until the lights turned green. Where else would you go anyway? The power in the civilian area will be limited because they'll be concentrating the power flow to support the combatants. And they also have EVERYTHING in the bunker area. Unless the very unlikely happens and Arks ship lands on a planet in the middle of an emergency event, there isn't really anywhere to go. They shook their heads and started to walk away. Great, you're an excellent social worker! I mutter to myself. I look around and made sure I was alone before I broke the unspoken rule. I pressed my palm against the palm scanner, and it opened up a warning window with an audible message. There's an emergency ongoing and it's highly recommended to stay in the bunker unless the bunker is damaged in the invasion. State your reason of opening the door to the elevators. I smile. It was never done before, but this was a really easy security feature to get around to. At some point during the early Arks emergencies, a six year old human kid was locked outside. I don't know the reason why but this caused the kid's mother to be hysterical and pound on the door demanding to be let out to her son. People had to hold her down until she calmed down. The lights turned green 4 hours later. The child was found sobbing just outside the elevators. I tried to modulate my voice to sound as panicky as I can. "Please release the locks! It's been four hours and I can't find my son anywhere! He might have been left outside. Please let me search for him!" One moment please. The AI responded. After three seconds, the red light above the doors turned yellow and then a message followed. The lockdown have been released. The lockdown will resume after ten minutes. Please locate your offspring and return immediately. I let out a little laugh and said thank you as I rushed to finish clear the security measures; iris scans, fingerprints, body scan, and finally, I reached the elevators, taking in the refreshing view of emptiness. I enter the elevator fourth from the left, the same one I came in from. I could hear my own heartbeat in the silence. If they ever find out I lied, I wonder what they're gonna do to me. It's not in any rule that we're not allowed to leave the bunker. It just said that it was recommended to stay there, it didn't say it was required to. Just as I pondered these thoughts, the ding sound confirming I've reached the residential area echoed. I broke away from my thoughts and walked out of the elevator. Nothing out of the ordinary here. I don't know what I expected. I suddenly had a different thought: I should see the combatants' area. Now, with that I would be breaking a rule. No civilians are to enter the combatants's area in the middle of an invasion. Visits to friends and family can wait until the emergency is dealt with. I walk towards the other side of the residential area. There's a transporter that leads to the Arks Lobby area. The lobby is a gray area. Civilians and Combatants can interact there. Mainly because it's also the place you have to go to if you want to go outside the ship whenever we land on a different planet. I was halfway there when I suddenly remembered I'm on a ten minute time limit. How long has it been? Two minutes? Three? I walked faster to the transporter. Then I jogged. Then I ran. I just wanted to hurry up and confirm that everything is normal. Just seeing people in the lobby would wash off my paranoia. I reach the transporter. I stand there, press a button on the side and hear a whirring sound and a voice asking me to be still for a few seconds. Everything turned white.

I don't exactly know how the transporter worked. When you enter, it asks you to stay still for a few seconds. It's really easy to do that because everything turns white. Literally. You won't see anything except whiteness for about a second, and then suddenly you're in the gray and blue-tinted lobby. I already had the image of the lobby area in my mind when I used the transporter. I expected to see what I had in mind. I was completely taken aback. The pint of hope I was holding on vanished. My paranoia conquered my mind. What I saw was entirely different. Something was definitely wrong. Instead of the usual cool colors of the lobby, I was greeted with glowing red text everywhere. The text read "error". If that wasn't a sign that something was EXTREMELY wrong, then I don't know what is. It was written all over except on the stairs and the televisions. We're all facing death.

http://i.imgur.com/HRfxA.jpg

[/SPOILER-BOX]

QUICK EDIT: No, I don't think this belongs to the fanworks section. This isn't a fanfiction series, it's not gonna have a sequel or a prequel. I just typed down what went on my head when I saw the picture posted.

Silver Crow
Aug 27, 2012, 09:02 AM
mate no offense but no one is going to read your autobiography. i suggest deleting pso2.exe then hitting the repair button on the launcher and it will re-download the official version.

edit: whoops, so it was supposed to be a story.. right ignore me then

Narugami
Aug 27, 2012, 09:08 AM
mate no offense but no one is going to read your autobiography. i suggest deleting pso2.exe then hitting the repair button on the launcher and it will re-download the official version.

edit: whoops, so it was supposed to be a story.. right ignore me then

I saw the image and thought that it would make a nice story.

^ Didn't read that part either?

Mystil
Aug 27, 2012, 09:11 AM
Atleast you used paragraphs and periods. Some guy many years ago on a FFXI forum typed a post as big as yours in what would be come the longest sentence in the history of mankind.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 27, 2012, 11:00 AM
Narugami, The Matrix Has You....

anyway, memories of Earth were a little too detailed+^_^+ if you were to make a fan fic, remember 20K years is a long time+^_^+ only criticism i have, otherwise definitely imaginative and quite creative for some done on the fly+^_^+

+^_^+

Sephirah
Aug 27, 2012, 11:05 AM
TLDR :P

MailboxJunkie
Aug 27, 2012, 02:17 PM
OMG LOL.
This happened to me also, my friend signed on for the first time, and his computer had outdated graphic's card drivers, so he sent me a screenie of his gun, which was all glitched out, and I was like aw that's cool, I wish something like that would happen to me....

So I moved to his block, and instantly sent a whisper: "SCOTT. WHAT DID YOU DO?!"
This is what I saw.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/jacethedemon/pso20120722_182821_001.jpg
LOL, I totally felt like a .hacker!

Edit: I did NOT install any english patch at this point, and this was the end of the first week of official release, so there wasn't even one to install, I don't think the patch has anything to do with it, seeing as how when I changed blocks again, everything was fine.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 27, 2012, 02:22 PM
Just to mention, i think some people have been able to fix this glitch from happening by following the guide in this thread; http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2842068#post2842068 though i can't confirm+^_^+ i still enabled LAA just cause it helps with PSE bursts sometimes but otherwise haven't noticed an improvement either way+^_^+

Narugami
Aug 27, 2012, 05:31 PM
Narugami, The Matrix Has You....

anyway, memories of Earth were a little too detailed+^_^+ if you were to make a fan fic, remember 20K years is a long time+^_^+ only criticism i have, otherwise definitely imaginative and quite creative for some done on the fly+^_^+

+^_^+

I did make it detailed on purpose. And it wasn't really memories, it was more of a reminiscence of history lessons. Kinda like how detailed we are when we remember our history or how detailed history books and the lectures of history teachers are. I'm guessing for the americans it would be the civil war and founding fathers etc. Sure, it's 20 000 years but right now, we have the technology to record and archive easily with computers, so it's easy to imagine that 20 000 years from now, they'll be using this giant archive to teach the younglings of that generation what happened at this era.

Narugami
Aug 27, 2012, 05:33 PM
So I moved to his block, and instantly sent a whisper: "SCOTT. WHAT DID YOU DO?!"
This is what I saw.

Must. Resist. Typing a story based on that D: I already have the plot and everything in my head = =' But anyway, have you ever tried running missions with that screen?

Enforcer MKV
Aug 27, 2012, 05:35 PM
OMG LOL.
This happened to me also, my friend signed on for the first time, and his computer had outdated graphic's card drivers, so he sent me a screenie of his gun, which was all glitched out, and I was like aw that's cool, I wish something like that would happen to me....

This is what I saw.

Edit: I did NOT install any english patch at this point, and this was the end of the first week of official release, so there wasn't even one to install, I don't think the patch has anything to do with it, seeing as how when I changed blocks again, everything was fine.

I want a mission where the entire field is like that. That looks trippy and awesome as HELL.

Narugami
Aug 27, 2012, 05:38 PM
I want a mission where the entire field is like that. That looks trippy and awesome as HELL.

With monsters and ragnes in the middle of the lobby! Oh yes.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 27, 2012, 05:46 PM
I did make it detailed on purpose. And it wasn't really memories, it was more of a reminiscence of history lessons. Kinda like how detailed we are when we remember our history or how detailed history books and the lectures of history teachers are. I'm guessing for the americans it would be the civil war and founding fathers etc. Sure, it's 20 000 years but right now, we have the technology to record and archive easily with computers, so it's easy to imagine that 20 000 years from now, they'll be using this giant archive to teach the younglings of that generation what happened at this era.

lolz, remember that today's technology, 90% of everything digital is magnetically recorded, a solar flare big enough, or a nuke detonated i the upper atmosphere (ala MW2) would not only fry anything with unshielded microcircuitry )99.9% of all electronics), but also essentially deband most recording media, even cassette tapes and such+^_^+ and 20K years is a long time+^_^+ look at Romes library of Alexandria? a good chunk of most of the western world's knowledge was lost in a simple fire+^_^+ also, Rome may have had the 1st successful brain surgeries+^_^+ and batteries+^_^+ now I'm thinking of that one movie, the Book of Eli? i just don't trust humanity to stay at peace for 20K years and i don't trust the powers that be (meaning governments and warmongers) to leave history unadulterated+^_^+

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 27, 2012, 06:13 PM
WELCOME TO ZA WARUDO

http://images.wikia.com/dothack/images/2/21/Ovan_eyes.jpg

Coatl
Aug 27, 2012, 06:16 PM
^ LOL.
Someone found the Twilight Key.

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 27, 2012, 06:18 PM
^ LOL.
Someone found the Twilight Key.

Funny part is... I did actually see a Haseo running around when I first started playing. Oddly enough, I never saw him again.......

EDIT: inb4someoneclaimstobetri-edge

Narugami
Aug 27, 2012, 06:35 PM
lolz, remember that today's technology, 90% of everything digital is magnetically recorded, a solar flare big enough, or a nuke detonated i the upper atmosphere (ala MW2) would not only fry anything with unshielded microcircuitry )99.9% of all electronics), but also essentially deband most recording media, even cassette tapes and such+^_^+ and 20K years is a long time+^_^+ look at Romes library of Alexandria? a good chunk of most of the western world's knowledge was lost in a simple fire+^_^+ also, Rome may have had the 1st successful brain surgeries+^_^+ and batteries+^_^+ now I'm thinking of that one movie, the Book of Eli? i just don't trust humanity to stay at peace for 20K years and i don't trust the powers that be (meaning governments and warmongers) to leave history unadulterated+^_^+

Sure, the cellphones, computers and other shit would be fried, but I'm pretty sure that more than one person archived the events, major ones at least, so there's gonna be multiple copies of it. And even during war time, I'm still pretty sure it would survive. It's still a part of human history and some leader would be inclined to save it. Besides, the detailed parts of my story, if it ever happened, would be considered a MAJOR breakthrough in human advancement, and thus will be archived by more than one person/organization and thus will have multiple copies all over. I mean come on, NASA, man walking on Mars, spending trillions of dollars for a failed mission to make Mars inhabitable; it would be remembered for generations.

Funny part is... I did actually see a Haseo running around when I first started playing. Oddly enough, I never saw him again.......

EDIT: inb4someoneclaimstobetri-edge

Someone in ship 7 is called Haseo the PKK. He's active 8D

TetsuyaHikari
Aug 27, 2012, 07:09 PM
Someone in ship 7 is called Haseo the PKK. He's active 8D

He found a way to change ships!

.hax

Too much data draining going on around here. I'll see you in ZA WARUDO, everyone.

EvilMag
Aug 27, 2012, 08:00 PM
Someone should make a creepypasta based off this. :P

PSOFan123
Aug 27, 2012, 08:13 PM
I don't know, but for some reason that pic makes me immediately feel super nostalgic for Descent.

Prolly cause I just remember there was lava everywhere in that game so some areas were like totally red colored on all sides. That's what it made me think of immediately anyway. Couldn't find very good pics showing a scene like that from the game.

Oh and I liked the story! Now we know what all the civilians are doing while we fight off the darkers =)

[SPOILER-BOX]http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7262/myseqdesc2.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]
[SPOILER-BOX]http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/885/320x200pxlle90c4970boss.gif[/SPOILER-BOX]