PDA

View Full Version : Why are the environments past caves SO HALF BAKED(visually)??

Flame
Aug 31, 2012, 12:51 PM
For reference, yes I have the graphical settings set pretty high.

So last night, I finally made it to the tundra. I have 85 hours or so on this character so you can imagine my expectations were a little high as I warped down to the surface, eager to finally see a new area. You can then also imagine my shock as I finally got a good look at the place. Those giant pop-up book bushes. Those terrible rock and dirty snow textures. That bland color palette. The jagged snow banks. The lack of foot prints or any nice touch that suggest you might actually be in a snowy environment. The entire thing felt phoned in. Like they had a week to slap it together. Even PSzero's snow field had more heart and thought put into it with touches like glowing mushrooms and wooden bridges lined with lanterns. This on the other hand was a poorly done photorealistic tech demo. I sighed and pressed on. And to be fair, Tundra 2 looks marginally better and the gameplay was fun and challenging as always. And when the sky turned dark and the stars came out it did start to look quite nice. But then I looked up. That aurora borealis. That pitiful, pathetic aurora borealis. Where is the sense of wonder? WHERE IS THE LOVE SEGA? More importantly:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn220/Echidnajig/psoauroras.jpg

It's really obvious that the only areas with any effort put into them visually were Forest and Caves. Desert, Tundra, Skylands, and Mines were clearly cobbled together as fast and as haphazardly as possible. This is far fetched but I wish one day that the dev team will be able to revisit these fields and give them the love they deserve.

Anyway uh. . . PSO2 VISUAL APPRECIATION(or lack there of) THREAD!

HFlowen
Aug 31, 2012, 12:53 PM
They should bring back the sil dragon as a random miniboss in the tundra.

Sorry, what was the topic again?

gigawuts
Aug 31, 2012, 12:53 PM
I feel you man, the colors were always a major draw to me in PSO1. They're just not here. Even the sky islands, which were seemingly meant to make up for it, are just...bloom overload and washed out colors.

NoiseHERO
Aug 31, 2012, 12:54 PM
Tundra is my least favorite area because of how dead and quiet it feels...

I feel sick going there... D:

Which is weird because I like snow areas.

Completely opposite opinion when it changes to night in B1, though.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 31, 2012, 12:56 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the PSO picture is physically painful to look at?

Seriously, that hurts my eye.

HFlowen
Aug 31, 2012, 12:56 PM
Now I feel weird because I like the tundra the best.

The second(?) area of skyland hurts my brain. The colors are too much.

NoiseHERO
Aug 31, 2012, 12:57 PM

You're not looking at it with rose tinted glasses to wash out the over saturation.

Oh man that was like a 3 hit combo.

Flame
Aug 31, 2012, 12:57 PM

TOO MUCH CONTRAST FOR YOU???

gigawuts
Aug 31, 2012, 12:59 PM
You're not looking at it with rose tinted glasses to wash out the over saturation.

Oh man that was like a 3 hit combo.

Link those pictures from PSU that you said looked good again?

Sizustar
Aug 31, 2012, 01:00 PM
The aurora borealis looks fine to me.
The PSO one looks too bright and colorful.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4d/Aurora_Borealis_Poster.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Enforcer MKV
Aug 31, 2012, 01:00 PM
TOO MUCH CONTRAST FOR YOU???

No, too much sensory overload because I'm blind in my left eye. @_@

My right eye hates me right now. Also: Tundra forever. <3 :p

gigawuts
Aug 31, 2012, 01:01 PM
Uh oh, here we go, bringing realism into a game where you float any time you swing your sword or pull a trigger.

Yes, I'm aware that I only recently whined about tornado dance being unrealistic.

Flame
Aug 31, 2012, 01:04 PM
The aurora borealis looks fine to me.
The PSO one looks too bright and colorful.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4d/Aurora_Borealis_Poster.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

No way man, the pso1 aurora may be an exaggeration but at least it delivers the appropriate sense of wonder. The PSO2 one has such a high affinity with the sky that it hardly pops out. Those photos you linked all have a very high color contrast excluding maybe the last one.

NoiseHERO
Aug 31, 2012, 01:05 PM
Link those pictures from PSU that you said looked good again?

I can't re-find those... D:

I'd be better off downloading PSU and taking pictures of pretty stuff myself.

But I'm too lazy for that.

BIG OLAF
Aug 31, 2012, 01:06 PM
Why is this thread a thing?

Gardios
Aug 31, 2012, 01:08 PM

You're not. Those colours are extreme...

gigawuts
Aug 31, 2012, 01:10 PM
I can't re-find those... D:

I'd be better off downloading PSU and taking pictures of pretty stuff myself.

But I'm too lazy for that.

I get that this is a matter of taste, but I far prefer gal da val's jungle cliff area (I'm sure you remember it) next to that one area with waterfalls and the beach chairs that you linked. Neudaiz was kind of neat, but again neon photons just never jived with me. The city had far too little contrast to catch the eyes, everything being something between very light grey, somewhat light grey, and pastel.

It just...didn't have what kept me visually engaged for 10 hours in a row in PSO1.

Which, again, is a matter of taste, but they've done a better job of bringing that in and combining it with the design elements in PSU with PSO2's lobbies. I just wish we'd get something with the kind of vivid colors and lighting effects (not an actual light, but instead something with textures radiating a bright box) found in the mines or spaceship level.

I also miss artificial levels, like PSO1's mines and ruins, and enjoy PSO2's mines more than any other level, but wish it came with more eye-catching colors. I do like the snowflake weather in tundra, and the floating glowing ore thingies in the mines. I feel like I'm the odd man out in saying I love the tundra for its colors and designs, both visual and level design.

Nerineri
Aug 31, 2012, 01:12 PM
I dunno, I preferred Aurora in PSO2 here. It look nice enough, the other one is too colorful for my taste.

edit: Oh, I love Tundra too. The visual is easy to my eyes for some reason. 1 thing I don't like about Tundra is that jump-over-the-crack switch.

HFlowen
Aug 31, 2012, 01:15 PM
PSO1s palette PROBABLY worked better because of how much slower the gameplay was.

Alright imagine how fast PSO2 moves, add in all the effects and sparkles from the shaders, and douse the terrain with vibrant pso1 colors. I dunno about you guys, but I'm well passed my teenage pso1 days, all that on my screen would make me vomit.

NoiseHERO
Aug 31, 2012, 01:18 PM
PSO1s palette PROBABLY worked better because of how much slower the gameplay was.

Alright imagine how fast PSO2 moves, add in all the effects and sparkles from the shaders, and douse the terrain with vibrant pso1 colors. I dunno about you guys, but I'm well passed my teenage pso1 days, all that on my screen would make me vomit.

My eyes would start to bleed within the first 30 seconds of playing.

Heat Haze
Aug 31, 2012, 01:23 PM
I don't mind the environmental effects; I like them a lot actually. My only issue would be the bloom effect presentation on Floating Islands; but even then that's a minor thing.

Flame
Aug 31, 2012, 01:25 PM

No that's totally a valid point. It's not that tundra or any of the levels in this game need to look more like pso per se. It's just that I'd like them to feel like they had a little more luvin put into them. Every level past caves feels a little too flat, a little too empty, and too uncoordinated artistically. And the details! Seriously where are the foot prints in the snow? Or maybe even patches of grass or flowers in the slow in Tundra1? I don't know, something! Anything!

gigawuts
Aug 31, 2012, 01:28 PM
That is a pretty valid point. As it is I feel like I'm going to develop epilepsy at any given moment in MPA's with forces that spam gigrants, and with that flashy dark tech on the way I may need to avoid MPA's as a close range class just to retain some semblance of vision.

Gardios
Aug 31, 2012, 01:30 PM
Gigrants is awful in MPAs, rainbows everywhere. What were they thinking? :S

NoiseHERO
Aug 31, 2012, 01:32 PM
It looks so damn awesome when you get grabbed by gwanada and a Fo uses grants on it while you're getting tosses around like a rag doll in it's teeth with the right amount of motion blur on.

But it also hurts the fuck out of your eyes.

HFlowen
Aug 31, 2012, 01:32 PM
No that's totally a valid point. It's not that tundra or any of the levels in this game need to look more like pso per se. It's just that I'd like them to feel like they had a little more luvin put into them. Every level past caves feels a little too flat, a little too empty, and too uncoordinated artistically. And the details! Seriously where are the foot prints in the snow? Or maybe even patches of grass or flowers in the slow in Tundra1? I don't know, something! Anything!

I get ya. The the levels just don't draw you in and make you really feel like you're there most of the time. It's possible that this is the result of the game using the map generator to make each level. Instead of the designer making the really great areas we love from pso1 (the open area in caves 1, open waterfall area of caves 2, the long hallway to falz, etc, etc) they have created 5-10 cookie cutter areas that attatch end to end on each other using the map generator. It's lazy, but most importantly, easy and quick to do.

gigawuts
Aug 31, 2012, 01:37 PM
They still could have very easily made big, distinctive areas you only see once per generated map. Every area in PSO1 except just one or two had major areas you saw in every generated map, and it didn't make them feel quite as cookie cutter as PSO2's levels. I tihnk that was really because they were 1) so large and 2) so visually distinctive.

PSO1 mines had that bright red room in an otherwise green level. The ruins had ENORMOUS rooms in an otherwise completely cramped level. The seabed had waterfalls inside. On the other hand, a lot of levels were made unique and each variation was identical, varying only in the spawn point and order of locked doors (and enemies, of course).

Dan Maku
Aug 31, 2012, 01:48 PM
Uh oh, here we go, bringing realism into a game where you float any time you swing your sword or pull a trigger.

Indeed. If I wanted realism, I'd go outside, not play a game where I smack around space canaries with a giant glowing red sword-gun.

yoshiblue
Aug 31, 2012, 01:50 PM
Compared to all the other images. My only gripe is that the PSO2 one looks like a piece of cloth colored in rainbow and just left there as a floating layer.

Mystil
Aug 31, 2012, 01:51 PM
Desert and Tundra are visually stunning to me. Mines is BORING. Floating Islands reminds me of the Valley of Neru in Legend of Legaia(or basically the place where the Divine Genesis Tree is).

HFlowen
Aug 31, 2012, 02:10 PM
They still could have very easily made big, distinctive areas you only see once per generated map. Every area in PSO1 except just one or two had major areas you saw in every generated map, and it didn't make them feel quite as cookie cutter as PSO2's levels. I tihnk that was really because they were 1) so large and 2) so visually distinctive.

PSO1 mines had that bright red room in an otherwise green level. The ruins had ENORMOUS rooms in an otherwise completely cramped level. The seabed had waterfalls inside. On the other hand, a lot of levels were made unique and each variation was identical, varying only in the spawn point and order of locked doors (and enemies, of course).

Now I have no idea how the maps are created, but follow me on this: Perhaps the designers can modify the existing maps by simply adding more blocks (I am using blocks as a way to describe the individual squares on a map) to the generator's stockpile to pad out the variety? Actually, could they not add in "rare" blocks that have a low chance of appearing on the map that have cool things in them? I think things like this could easily up how interesting things are right now.

Hell, if rare blocks existed, I might spend time running around the map and looking around instead of just making a B-line for the exit every time.

If I could read/write japanese I would put this as a suggestion on the survey.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 31, 2012, 02:13 PM
Now I have no idea how the maps are created, but follow me on this: Perhaps the designers can modify the existing maps by simply adding more blocks (I am using blocks as a way to describe the individual squares on a map) to the generator's stockpile to pad out the variety? Actually, could they not add in "rare" blocks that have a low chance of appearing on the map that have cool things in them? I think things like this could easily up how interesting things are right now.

Hell, if rare blocks existed, I might spend time running around the map and looking around instead of just making a B-line for the exit every time.

If I could read/write japanese I would put this as a suggestion on the survey.

Can someone do this, please? I really like this idea, but am in the same boat as Flowen.

Darki
Aug 31, 2012, 02:14 PM
Tundra is my least favorite area because of how dead and quiet it feels...

Y'know... Tundras aren't really supposed to be saturday night fever all week, with lightshow included. <_<

aduran
Aug 31, 2012, 02:16 PM
yap the areas after caves feel rushed. floating island was really rushed but then again ppl want updates fast.

Zyrusticae
Aug 31, 2012, 02:16 PM
FYI, you can easily increase the saturation through your drivers... assuming you have an Nvidia card, anyways. I dnno about ATI/AMD.

Not that I care. My problem is with how flat the tone mapping is. If only they used a more filmic s-curve...

NoiseHERO
Aug 31, 2012, 02:17 PM
Y'know... Tundras aren't really supposed to be saturday night fever all week, with lightshow included. <_<

Well sorry if I don't like feeling like I just escaped from a weapon X facility that just turned all my bones into adamantium. D:

ShadowDragon28
Aug 31, 2012, 02:19 PM
Lol. wow. just wow.

IMO The snowy forest and frozen field (aka "Tundra") are some of the most beautiful areas in all of PSO 2 so far. I love the music there.

IzzyData
Aug 31, 2012, 02:48 PM
Seems like they went with a more realistic environment art style. I'm not 100% sure but I think if you upped your graphics it would flow into the skyline a little better.

LordChampion
Aug 31, 2012, 03:04 PM
Iuno, the lack of unique things in each area is kinda buggin' me. We've already got to grind through all these places, it'd be nice to at least have something unique to break the monotony. Grass, rocks, sand, snow everywhere is just... boring.

Makes me wonder, is all. Sakai and his boys are crazy enough to come up with these wild moves and weapons and stuff, but can't go equally crazy on the environments or enemies we're fighting?

Flame
Aug 31, 2012, 03:13 PM
Sakai and his boys are crazy enough to come up with these wild moves and weapons and stuff, but can't go equally crazy on the environments or enemies we're fighting?

I've been waiting for someone to make a comment like this. Ever since Sakai took on the directorship I've noticed a distinct push in style over substance. He seems more interested in over the top photon arts than gameplay balancing or level design. It was the same with Takeshi Iizuka and the Sonic brand. Both are very ambitious and obviously have a vision but both also seem to forget what it was that made their franchises great in the first place and that sometimes less is more.

Angelo
Aug 31, 2012, 03:15 PM
Sure is nostalgia-glasses in here.

gigawuts
Aug 31, 2012, 03:15 PM
Can someone do this, please? I really like this idea, but am in the same boat as Flowen.

Yeah that'd be great, something that really stands out in each area. I'd also like MPA's to actually be bigger with more forks and alternate paths. If that won't work with 12 players, maybe just all of the (or a couple specific ones, if not all) single party areas and quests could be like that?

Flame
Aug 31, 2012, 03:20 PM
Sure is nostalgia-glasses in here.

I don't get this assumption. I even mentioned how PSZero even does a better job of making its environments more fun and rich and I didn't grow up playing that by any means.

gigawuts
Aug 31, 2012, 03:21 PM
I love the false logic that any preference of something older than 6 months is automatically 100% nostalgia.

You can't have preference of something if it's older than something else. No. This is not possible. Preferring PSO over PSU is 100% nostalgia, you just don't know what's good.

Angelo
Aug 31, 2012, 03:35 PM
I love the false logic that any preference of something older than 6 months is automatically 100% nostalgia.

You can't have preference of something if it's older than something else. No. This is not possible. Preferring PSO over PSU is 100% nostalgia, you just don't know what's good.

Hey now... I didn't say anything about PSU... that's a completely different beast.

Enforcer MKV
Aug 31, 2012, 03:36 PM
PSZero even does a better job of making its environments more fun and rich and I didn't grow up playing that by any means.

I really think that's part of the direction they went for with the environments. As has been stated before, it's more down to Earth. (or whichever planet we're on at the time. :p) The environments are really nice, it's just that the Original PSO and PSZ were more fantastical in their environmental design.

That being said, I still think that they could add more units to the tumbler and put some really interesting and unique things in.

Omega-z
Aug 31, 2012, 03:48 PM
Actually PSO1's color's weren't always the best and were un-calibrated at times. But the reason for the more washout look is because of the new rules in JP with Color's, Brightness and Speed. They where added after the Pokemon Illness fanassco a few year's after PSO1. Like Hflowen said that PSO1 didn't have a problem since it was a slow moving game, PSO2 is not. And if you want better color's and contrast then do what Zyrusticae said. the only thing that has depth in PSO1 is the Space BG it's more entreating everything else is poor design with it's color's(going off the pic). but now that might be the TV or comp.'s fault for that and having the setting's wrong and not really the game itself (since I don't remember the color's being that bad when playing the game).

Darki
Aug 31, 2012, 04:11 PM
Well sorry if I don't like feeling like I just escaped from a weapon X facility that just turned all my bones into adamantium. D:

Well, but it happens that THAT is what a "tundra" is. <_<

(minus the adamantium)

Flame
Aug 31, 2012, 04:16 PM
Well, but it happens that THAT is what a "tundra" is. <_<

(minus the adamantium)

can you imagine if it actually did look like a tundra?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/17/Greenland_scoresby-sydkapp2_hg.jpg/300px-Greenland_scoresby-sydkapp2_hg.jpg

maybe then it would be visually engaging

ScottyMango
Aug 31, 2012, 04:20 PM

^ Thank you for this.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 31, 2012, 04:28 PM
hmm, i just adjusted my monitor's settings for a little more color saturation and contrast, and turned down the back-light to counteract the higher contrast using brightness to counteract the lower back-light, set the color temp to warm (which adds a little more infrared to the picture) and tipped the tint towards green, to counter the warm setting, all in all, this resulted in PSO2 almost looking like i could just break the screen and walk right into the game (once i have a comp good enough for quality ambient occlusion, then i will start smashing screens)+^_^+ my point? if you don't like how it looks due to color, contrast, brightness, and other basic things like that, change your computer display and/or monitor settings+^_^+

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/17/Greenland_scoresby-sydkapp2_hg.jpg/300px-Greenland_scoresby-sydkapp2_hg.jpg

The tundra i'm used to seeing where i live+^_^+
http://natureinquiries.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/sawmill-creek-winter-b2.jpg%3Fw%3D477
btw, Mill Creek is one of the most peaceful places I've every visited, and it's only 15 minutes away!!

Enforcer MKV
Aug 31, 2012, 04:29 PM
hmm, i just adjusted my monitor's settings for a little more color saturation and contrast, and turned down the back-light to counteract the higher contrast using brightness to counteract the lower back-light, set the color temp to warm (which adds a little more infrared to the picture) and tipped the tint towards green, to counter the warm setting, all in all, this resulted in PSO2 almost looking like i could just break the screen and walk right into the game+^_^+ my point? if you don't like how it looks due to color, contrast, brightness, and other basic things like that, change your computer display and/or monitor settings+^_^+

Screen, please? I'm kinda curious.

Zyrusticae
Aug 31, 2012, 04:35 PM
Pointless. Screens capture what's in the frame buffer, NOT what's on the monitor. Monitor settings have zero effect on screenshots.

Chik'Tikka
Aug 31, 2012, 04:47 PM

[SPOILER-BOX]Panasonic tc32u22 1920x1080 32", price at purchase $350
http://shop.panasonic.com/dotAsset/4c042388-c924-4d9d-9ce4-28fed1676cd6.jpg

Alpha In Plane Switching panel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD#In-Plane_Switching_.28IPS.29)
settings are;
back light, 70%
contrast, 85% (50 is default)
brightness, 65% (50 is default)
color sat is 40% (50 is default)
tint, +5 (0 is default +towards green, - towards red)
sharpness, 14% (50 is default)
color temp, warm (warm is reddish, cool is bluish, normal is just strait white)
A.I. contrast is off
auto brightness for room ambient lighting is off
noise reduction and mpeg NR is off (HDMi doesn't seem to give any screen fuzz, so why use it?)
black level, light (so things in the shadows don't become too invisible without sacrificing picture accuracy, otherwise how would i troll in CoD?)[/SPOILER-BOX]

$350 for a really good A-IPS display+^_^+ how could i resist?? although the picture settings didn't do it justice with factory settings, took me 3 weeks to get it right+^_^+ and i very rarely see a 22" PC monitor have a better picture without costing at least $500+^_^+ (of course some 2011 and quite a few 2012 monitors are astounding)

Pointless. Screens capture what's in the frame buffer, NOT what's on the monitor. Monitor settings have zero effect on screenshots.

yeah, that's why i assumed he wanted to know what I'm using as a monitor+^_^+ i didn't know he wanted a screen shot, no post processing effects go into screen shots, be they GPU based FXAA or what the monitors do to the frame buffer before display+^_^+

Enforcer MKV
Aug 31, 2012, 04:50 PM

Truthfully, I thought that might be the case, but I decided to ask on the off chance I was wrong. Oh, well.

[SPOILER-BOX]Panasonic tc32u22 1920x1080 32", price at purchase $350
http://shop.panasonic.com/dotAsset/4c042388-c924-4d9d-9ce4-28fed1676cd6.jpg

Alpha In Plane Switching panel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD#In-Plane_Switching_.28IPS.29)
settings are;
back light, 70%
contrast, 85% (50 is default)
brightness, 65% (50 is default)
color sat is 40% (50 is default)
tint, +5 (0 is default +towards green, - towards red)
sharpness, 14% (50 is default)
color temp, warm (warm is reddish, cool is bluish, normal is just strait white)
A.I. contrast is off
auto brightness for room ambient lighting is off
noise reduction and mpeg NR is off (HDMi doesn't seem to give any screen fuzz, so why use it?)
black level, light (so things in the shadows don't become too invisible without sacrificing picture accuracy, otherwise how would i troll in CoD?)[/SPOILER-BOX]

$350 for a really good A-IPS display+^_^+ how could i resist?? although the picture settings didn't do it justice with factory settings, took me 3 weeks to get it right+^_^+ and i very rarely see a 22" PC monitor have a better picture without costing at least $500+^_^+

Oh, well, thank you for the settings list. I'll definitely see how that looks sometime.

Darki
Aug 31, 2012, 04:53 PM

Well, of course, but it happens that The Matrix wasn't invented yet, otherwise they could make the forest like this too:

http://www.iversonforest.com/images/forest1.jpg

xD

Chik'Tikka
Aug 31, 2012, 05:00 PM
Oh, well, thank you for the settings list. I'll definitely see how that looks sometime.

i don't know how those settings will work for you, every panel is a little different, and every panel make and model can be a lot different, what works for me might only work well on the A-IPS Panasonic panel i have for the year i have+^_^+ do some research into your panel make and year to see if anyone did some extensive testing, might i recommend starting research on the http://www.avsforum.com/ forums?? it's a good place to go for anything related to Audio and Visual tech+^_^+

Enforcer MKV
Aug 31, 2012, 05:02 PM
i don't know how those settings will work for you, every panel is a little different, and every panel make and model can be a lot different, what works for me might only work well on the A-IPS Panasonic panel i have for the year i have+^_^+ do some research into your panel make and year to see if anyone did some extensive testing, might i recommend starting research on the http://www.avsforum.com/ forums?? it's a good place to go for anything related to Audio and Visual tech+^_^+

Oh, I know. But it's something.

Laxedrane
Aug 31, 2012, 05:36 PM
Well, of course, but it happens that The Matrix wasn't invented yet, otherwise they could make the forest like this too:

http://www.iversonforest.com/images/forest1.jpg

xD

Yeah I gotta agree, "Forest" feels more like meadow. However, I can't imagine the high movement pso2 requires in a cluster-phobic area like this. Also what would be the boarders? Because rocks all over would kind of kill the forest mood. Jungle came very close to that feel though.

Gama
Aug 31, 2012, 05:38 PM
Truthfully, I thought that might be the case, but I decided to ask on the off chance I was wrong. Oh, well.

panasonic screen give better quality at the same price "some models" as other brands.

they have a great color gamut and some have software to help you calibrate the screen for printing.

saw a 400€ one that had a button to change profiles.

Ligths on, ligths off, low color saturation, editing, movies.... etc

apple screens are great aswell but very expensive.

Omega-z
Aug 31, 2012, 06:26 PM
Chik'Tikka - just a question, Could a Digital Camera of a picture of your screen work since Print Screen doesn't?

Macman
Aug 31, 2012, 07:39 PM
I'm mostly annoyed by the absurd amounts of pop-in in the mines. Other than that everything's fine.

Chik'Tikka - just a question, Could a Digital Camera of a picture of your screen work since Print Screen doesn't?

PSO2 WEBCAM LP LET'S GO!

Chik'Tikka
Aug 31, 2012, 07:52 PM

*holds out hand* Digi cam $$ for me?????+^_^+

anyway, i made a youtube vid with my digi cam awhile back+^_^+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubuhyigBVKQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubuhyigBVKQ
but as you can see, quality drops a lot with recording a off of a monitor+^_^+

TaigaUC
Sep 1, 2012, 12:06 AM
In terms of quality, I've always maintained that the graphics of PSO2 in general are not very well done. There are a lot of horrible UV texture stretching issues, visible seams, hugely varied texture resolutions, etc. Things that game developer websites say "are simply not acceptable in modern games", yet are seemingly increasingly common. *cough*Skyrim*cough*.

Other PSO2 graphical issues I've noticed:
- Character legs constantly clip through the back of the Wedding Dress when they run.
- Nasty weighting issue on the neck or chin of one of the RaCaseal torsos. When the character moves, it gets dragged down along with the body. I haven't checked if they fixed it.
- Able to walk through many objects, especially My Room objects. The floating continent has blocks and such that you can walk inside of.
- No walk animation while holding weapon. I only tried gamepad once and don't recall exactly, but I think the timing of walk animations at different speeds is also strange.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but these give me a strong impression that they are cutting corners. I thought it was funny how quickly they responded to complaints about the female ribs texture.

Some of the posts in this thread started arguing about realism. It's not about the realism, it's about the artistic quality and style, attention to detail and how they are expressing the visuals to the player. In general, I think they tried to cover up the laziness with things like floating particles and fancy effects like reflections, but slacked on the general presentation.

Blueblur
Sep 1, 2012, 02:58 PM
I think everything, aside from the Arks lobbies, in PSO 2 is drab and visually unappealing. There's nothing interesting about the environments and unlike PSO the environments do not change from one area to the next. The game's visuals have been half-assed.

Edit: Excellent post, TaigaUC.

Powder Keg
Sep 1, 2012, 03:02 PM
It's a little less flashy than PSU as well, mainly in the tech category. I think it's to ensure there isn't any graphical slowdown this time around.

Tenlade
Sep 1, 2012, 04:50 PM

The worst part is that the game Already has this built in. Sometimes in Mines you'll get a special Large room that covers several squares on the map, but most of the time it will be empty or just a few enemies and a teleporter from one side to the other with boxes. In free desert sometimes you'll spawn big varder in the 2nd area, which has its own custom map.

The code is there, but maybe due to rushing or whatever, its just not being utilized.