PDA

View Full Version : Less content is more

MUDGRIP
Sep 1, 2012, 11:02 PM
Id rather there be less content. Less content means less gear choices. Which means I can be number 1 easier. I would make the game have one sword,one gun, and one Rod. Thats it.

Sizustar
Sep 1, 2012, 11:05 PM
Id rather there be less content. Less content means less gear choices. Which means I can be number 1 easier. I would make the game have one sword,one gun, and one Rod. Thats it.

That's a rather terrible idea, and one that won't be implemented by any game developer or company.

MUDGRIP
Sep 1, 2012, 11:20 PM
That's a rather terrible idea, and one that won't be implemented by any game developer or company.

how is that a terrible idea? I mean once the game is soaked up in content and there is nothing else left to hunt the majority of the people who are going to play the game are Elite Time Attackers. I mean there is going to be a point when the content is going to stop.

Why should we have to hunt down new items every couple of months to do that? Just give us three generic weapons and a few missions to run. Lets see who runs them the fastest and bam there ya go. whoever does the missions the fastest is the best pso2 player.

Sizustar
Sep 1, 2012, 11:25 PM
how is that a terrible idea? I mean once the game is soaked up in content and there is nothing else left to hunt the majority of the people who are going to play the game are Elite Time Attackers. I mean there is going to be a point when the content is going to stop.

Why should we have to hunt down new items every couple of months to do that? Just give us three generic weapons and a few missions to run. Lets see who runs them the fastest and bam there ya go. whoever does the missions the fastest is the best pso2 player.

There's already a time attack mode for people that wish to participate in that.
Limiting content and play style is not the way to bring in new players, nor keep old player interested.

I'm sure the NA/EU version will have the same content rollout as the Japanese unless we're sharing the same server.

I'll be definitely switching to the NA/EU server because the mark up to get AC outside of Japan is way too much.

Unless Sega have tie-ins like other Japanese MMORPG with anime, manga, then those tie-in might not make it to other version, due to licensing or other issue.

Triple_S
Sep 1, 2012, 11:27 PM

Congrats, you missed the point of the game.

MUDGRIP
Sep 1, 2012, 11:32 PM
Im just saying that if you're a true fan of the game and you like the way it's played there comes a point in time when new content is not really needed.

Case in point is private pso servers. Plenty of people still play and have fun with that and for the most part not a lick of extra content has been added to them for over 7 years.

MUDGRIP
Sep 1, 2012, 11:35 PM

So are you going to quit playing the game when the content stops coming? Thats the only thing that has you hooked on the game? Because if thats the case then you mine as well stop playing now.

Sizustar
Sep 1, 2012, 11:37 PM
So are you going to quit playing the game when the content stops coming? Thats the only thing that has you hooked on the game? Because if thats the case then you mine as well stop playing now.

I have no idea on what your idea and point is.

gigawuts
Sep 1, 2012, 11:40 PM

With this kind of game it's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

BIG OLAF
Sep 1, 2012, 11:41 PM
Which means I can be number 1 easier

Troll confirmed.

moorebounce
Sep 1, 2012, 11:46 PM
Im just saying that if you're a true fan of the game and you like the way it's played there comes a point in time when new content is not really needed.

Case in point is private pso servers. Plenty of people still play and have fun with that and for the most part not a lick of extra content has been added to them for over 7 years.

That was true for me until I got my hands on PSO2. Only way I could go back now is if they shut PSO2 down. I know at least one of those PSOBB private servers make their own quests. So it's not like they don't have anything new. They can change a lot of things on those private servers it's just a matter of the people running them wanting to do the work.

MUDGRIP
Sep 1, 2012, 11:49 PM
I have no idea on what your idea and point is.

My point is that it seems that most people are saying rawr rawr rawr im playing JP server only because that server will have more content than NA server. Which I have no problem with people saying that at all. My point is that when players play the game for the sole purpose of content I find that quite foolish. I play on the JP server and have seen many players rush to get a certain item or get to a certain level just to say, "ok im down with this game until such and such update comes out."

They are playing the game for content not for what the game is about "imo". Thats why I said just make the game with 3 weps and less content. That will show who really wants to play the game for what it is. Obviously I did not mean make the game with literally 3 weps but my statement still stands that once the game peaks in popularity and then the content slows down to a hault and eventually goes into its dying stages the majority of the players left will be TA'ers and elites.

Sizustar
Sep 1, 2012, 11:51 PM
My point is that it seems that most people are saying rawr rawr rawr im playing JP server only because that server will have more content than NA server. Which I have no problem with people saying that at all. My point is that when players play the game for the sole purpose of content I find that quite foolish. I play on the JP server and have seen many players rush to get a certain item or get to a certain level just to say, "ok im down with this game until such and such update comes out."

They are playing the game for content not for what the game is about "imo". Thats why I said just make the game with 3 weps and less content. That will show who really wants to play the game for what it is. Obviously I did not mean make the game with literally 3 weps but my statement still stands that once the game peaks in popularity and then the content slows down to a hault and eventually goes into its dying stages the majority of the players left will be TA'ers and elites.

So no new content, limit the play style to only one type, and let the game fail?
A terrible idea that will not be taken by any competent game developer.

MUDGRIP
Sep 1, 2012, 11:55 PM
That was true for me until I got my hands on PSO2. Only way I could go back now is if they shut PSO2 down. I know at least one of those PSOBB private servers make their own quests. So it's not like they don't have anything new. They can change a lot of things on those private servers it's just a matter of the people running them wanting to do the work.

My point exactly. Your playing pso2 over psobb because its new. It has fresh content. What are you going to do when the content slows down and eventually stops. Your going to want something else. In a sense you are a slave to content in my eyes. I play psobb because I like the game and for no other reason. I dont need new quests or new items to make my experience great.

gigawuts
Sep 1, 2012, 11:57 PM
I've never seen somebody try to cast the desire for new experiences in a bad light before. This is definitely a first for me.

MUDGRIP
Sep 2, 2012, 12:02 AM
So no new content, limit the play style to only one type, and let the game fail?
A terrible idea that will not be taken by any competent game developer.

I think your missing who im directing the statement towards. Im talking strictly to the player base. Obviously the Devs are going to push out the content as this game is not a finished product and the storyline and content continues to expand as time passes. I'm saying that there is going to come a point in time when SoJ pulls the cord on content as they have done with the previous additions to the phantasy star series. What I am stating is that when that time comes there will most likely be 5 percent of the total pso2 population who still cares about the game. I think that is ridiculous.

Angelo
Sep 2, 2012, 12:10 AM
I've never seen somebody try to cast the desire for new experiences in a bad light before. This is definitely a first for me.

Really? I hope this is limited to gaming, because that's actually a pretty fundamental law in natural selection.

Seraphus
Sep 2, 2012, 12:35 AM
I think your missing who im directing the statement towards. Im talking strictly to the player base. Obviously the Devs are going to push out the content as this game is not a finished product and the storyline and content continues to expand as time passes. I'm saying that there is going to come a point in time when SoJ pulls the cord on content as they have done with the previous additions to the phantasy star series. What I am stating is that when that time comes there will most likely be 5 percent of the total pso2 population who still cares about the game. I think that is ridiculous.

And your idea/point is ridiculous. To have less content in this type of game is awful. This isn't an offline/single/competitive player experience and at this point it isn't even complete. A lot of people play not to be the best, but to actually have fun with the game. Obviously these games don't last forever, no game does, but if you have nothing to offer people in the first place no one will play the game (except maybe you). And if you don't provide new content when it is needed or provide something new/interesting to do, you lose players/subscribers (i.e. D3) and they are the ones who pay to keep servers up. Depending on how good the game is determines how long people continue to play it.

Really? I hope this is limited to gaming, because that's actually a pretty fundamental law in natural selection.
Wait, what?

Triple_S
Sep 2, 2012, 12:40 AM

Yes, when we stop getting new content and I have explored everything left multiple times, I shall stop playing, unless something remains that is actually challenging. This is not the kind of game where you can constantly improve your skill; if you want that, try a fighting game or a FPS.

EDIT: I should also mention that I probably have played more PSO than you have, and I can't stand to play it anymore because I'm just doing the same god damn thing I've been doing for years. Nothing will ever surprise me, nothing will change. It's a great game, but I burned out on it by playing it constantly. Same thing happened with every other game I've played... I see everything it has to offer, enjoy everything for a long while, then become unable to stand playing it anymore.

If you ate nothing but your favorite food for a month, you'd get sick of it, you know. Same concept.

EDIT2: Also, if this game had PvP, that'd be different. But this is a pure PvE game. The only competition is in your efficiency in killing monsters, and at the end of the day skill is not nearly as large of an influence to really hold my attention.

moorebounce
Sep 2, 2012, 08:52 AM
My point exactly. Your playing pso2 over psobb because its new. It has fresh content. What are you going to do when the content slows down and eventually stops. Your going to want something else. In a sense you are a slave to content in my eyes. I play psobb because I like the game and for no other reason. I dont need new quests or new items to make my experience great.

PSO2 gets a lot of the things I liked about PSO right. Does it get everything right? No. If it didn't I wouldn't be playing it like I didn't play PSU and it was new compared to PSO.

Also people outside of Japanese can pay 50 cents plus on the dollar if they want for AC and stay on the Japanese server. I'm not gonna be one of them. At least not one who pays premium.

Exactly what it means?

I'm not going to try and play cool here; I downloaded a niche game in a language I don't completely understand, modded it, hit cap, and talk about it on a message board dedicated to this one game.

That's sort of no-lifer nerd shit.

We got a winner

MUDGRIP
Sep 2, 2012, 09:48 AM
Yes, when we stop getting new content and I have explored everything left multiple times, I shall stop playing, unless something remains that is actually challenging. This is not the kind of game where you can constantly improve your skill; if you want that, try a fighting game or a FPS.

EDIT: I should also mention that I probably have played more PSO than you have, and I can't stand to play it anymore because I'm just doing the same god damn thing I've been doing for years. Nothing will ever surprise me, nothing will change. It's a great game, but I burned out on it by playing it constantly. Same thing happened with every other game I've played... I see everything it has to offer, enjoy everything for a long while, then become unable to stand playing it anymore.

If you ate nothing but your favorite food for a month, you'd get sick of it, you know. Same concept.

EDIT2: Also, if this game had PvP, that'd be different. But this is a pure PvE game. The only competition is in your efficiency in killing monsters, and at the end of the day skill is not nearly as large of an influence to really hold my attention.

So there you have it. Unless a game gets new content this guy will eventually never play a game forever. lol. Your right. People havent played pacman for 30 years and continue to play it.

By the way not to throw around my nutsack but i seriously doubt you have played more pso than me. I have been playing it since 2001 and have probably logged in over 15,000-20,000 hours of gameplay and still find new things to do with it every time I play it.

gigawuts
Sep 2, 2012, 10:03 AM
Honestly this entire thread reeks of the same scent as those "My way is the only way to play legit" threads (yes we've had more than one). Saying nobody is a true fan if they get bored of playing the same exact content over and over and over? Uh, what? Saying they should limit the game to true fans, limit the number and kinds of players, and then shoot themselves in the foot because they just made a game nobody but maybe seventeen people will want to play - almost none of which will want to spend money because it's not required to access any of the levels?

What?

Go on.

Laxedrane
Sep 2, 2012, 10:10 AM
So there you have it. Unless a game gets new content this guy will eventually never play a game forever. lol. Your right. People havent played pacman for 30 years and continue to play it.

By the way not to throw around my nutsack but i seriously doubt you have played more pso than me. I have been playing it since 2001 and have probably logged in over 15,000-20,000 hours of gameplay and still find new things to do with it every time I play it.

I don't get why you arguing with someone over this. So what if he leaves when sega stops updating the game. That's his priority. Some people like to stick with what they know and some people like to keep things fresh. To insist a company cater to only one side of the table is quite silly.

Content updates are standard for MMOs especially new ones. If you want to play a game that will never update and you can be "Number 1" go play any number of a games with leader boards. Go play a mmo that's stop receiving updates. Usually this is a terrible stance to take in an mmo debate but what your asking for is the equivalent of asking for a country to stop providing disability.

Just stupid.

Sephirah
Sep 2, 2012, 10:18 AM

You're too late, Rock Paper Scissors has been around for a LOOOOONG time :)

And just to throw in my 2 cents. Mudgrip, there is nothing wrong with the fact you are happy to play older games with no updates, many of us play a lot of those games still. However, people will always want something new, it's part of being human. If everyone thought like you did, there would never be new games, or books, or movies, or music, or anything.

Even your precious PSOBB would not exist if someone hadn't said. "Let's make another PSO".

Agitated_AT
Sep 2, 2012, 10:20 AM
This thread is incredibly stupid. Do you even know what you are saying OP?

ANyway I really think you don't mean this. Maybe your idea is good, but the message isnt brought well.

If you literally say, less content is better, than I disagree.

What I hope you mean is that the game should be able to be good with little content, then I say I agree and that the game indeed fails in this aspect.

The game now is driven by content only. Not replayability. Replayability comses in progress only, not in replaying. Everything that encourages replaying doesn't help the experience one bit, because the core game is just not engaging enough, or at least for a minimum time.

MUDGRIP
Sep 2, 2012, 10:28 AM
I don't get why you arguing with someone over this. So what if he leaves when sega stops updating the game. That's his priority. Some people like to stick with what they know and some people like to keep things fresh. To insist a company cater to only one side of the table is quite silly.

Content updates are standard for MMOs especially new ones. If you want to play a game that will never update and you can be "Number 1" go play any number of a games with leader boards. Go play a mmo that's stop receiving updates. Usually this is a terrible stance to take in an mmo debate but what your asking for is the equivalent of asking for a country to stop providing disability.

Just stupid.

All I'm saying is that since day1 the MAJORITY of the playerbase is playing pso2 because of the content. The majority of the playerbase stops playing when they no longer like the content that is coming out or they are not getting enough content.

Right now my statement is invalid obviously because the game is still pretty much a demo with the amount of content that is out. But what happens in 2 years from now when there will be plenty of content and things to do. The majority of the playerbase will still be like zombies still wanting more and more. What happens when SoJ rolls out with a couple of bad updates?

The playerbase gets up into a mad frenzy saying rawr rawr rawr this is terrible im going to play something else that is newer and is better. Once again let me say this again. I'm directing my statements to the playerbase. There is going to come a point and time when a bad update comes out or the updates start coming to slow and thats all its going to take for the game to become a ghost town. I find THIS ridiculous.

Angelo
Sep 2, 2012, 10:40 AM
Go on.

I'll be honest, I had just polished off half a bottle of gin when I made that post and took what you were saying in a weird way.

I basically meant that 'new experiences' in the sense of risky behavior usually filters out problematic dispositions since natural selection favors conservation.

It had nothing to do with what the OP was talking about, so I apologize.

MUDGRIP
Sep 2, 2012, 10:42 AM
I'll be honest, I had just polished off half a bottle of gin when I made that post and took what you were saying in a weird way.

I basically meant that 'new experiences' in the sense of risky behavior usually filters out problematic dispositions since natural selection favors conservation.

Oh it does man. Everything is relevant and related.

gigawuts
Sep 2, 2012, 10:44 AM

I figured that was what you meant, and figured you were just being snarky. That's why I didn't take it any further, but was curious all the same :) No worries mate.

Ezodagrom
Sep 2, 2012, 10:46 AM
So are you going to quit playing the game when the content stops coming?
And...what if new content doesn't stop coming. PSU JP is being shutdown in the end of September, and it still got new content in these final months, like new weapons, and the 6th anniversary event.

Jakosifer
Sep 2, 2012, 11:07 AM
People are taking this thread seriously? Lol.

darkante
Sep 2, 2012, 11:15 AM
This thread is so full of win. Yeah, less content is better obviously.
Also, turn off the monitor when you play to really experience the PSO magic.

Arika
Sep 2, 2012, 11:37 AM
lol, I haven't seen mod ripped off some post from a thread to make another own thread for a long time already.

Yunfa
Sep 2, 2012, 11:40 AM
OP, seems to me you have too much time on your hands. Seems to me you are also a dedicated PSO player. Ok, lets see if you have the skills to back that up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Amlz4J7jA&feature=plcp

Flame
Sep 2, 2012, 11:56 AM
This is a confusing as hell topic but I THINK what OP means is that hidden under all the customization, new outfits, and diverse gameplay options is a weak, very unsatisfying experience that doesn't keep you coming back for more on its own. To which I somewhat agree. I also agree that when this comes stateside it's going to be ripped to shreds by critics. But whatever, it's free right? As long as we get to stab things right?

supersonix9
Sep 2, 2012, 12:16 PM
People are taking this thread seriously? Lol.

It entertains me as well.

Cyrusnagisa
Sep 2, 2012, 12:21 PM
people are falling for troll threads WAY to easy lately ;p

angrysquid
Sep 2, 2012, 01:23 PM
OP, seems to me you have too much time on your hands. Seems to me you are also a dedicated PSO player. Ok, lets see if you have the skills to back that up: RA vs Snow Banshee .avi - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Amlz4J7jA&feature=plcp)

And now the Japanese wwwww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOoBaXDK07w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOoBaXDK07w

supersonix9
Sep 2, 2012, 01:34 PM
And now the Japanese wwwww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOoBaXDK07w

How man.....

NoiseHERO
Sep 2, 2012, 02:01 PM
You guys....

You guys, you're way too easy to troll...

You guys...

you guys, seriously...

Seraphus
Sep 2, 2012, 03:02 PM
You guys....

You guys...

you guys, seriously...

Problem is he's serious...not about his idea about an actual game (which is the troll-y part). Well, I guess all his posts are the troll-y part but doesn't change the fact he isn't somewhat serious about his ideas (and that's kinda scary for someone to think that way). In fact, the main post is so ridiculously dumb/funny a mod gave it its own thread instead of just deleting the off-topic posts. But, these kind of posts divulge into flaming and trolling which mods are supposed to prevent. He's commenting against a certain aspect of human nature that will never change and isn't willing to think otherwise because he is one of the "Elite".

But his comment on on the player base is ridiculously dumb. He thinks the idea only applies to this game when they apply to everything. He thinks it doesn't apply to Pacman or PSOBB. How many do you see playing those compared to when they first launched? But basically, he's saying he's an elitist and thinks when he plays, he plays the pure way. Even though he is also playing for the content, otherwise go back to playing rock paper scissors or marbles, because what it comes down to is the fun in winning to him.

People aren't zombies, they're human.

MailboxJunkie
Sep 2, 2012, 03:19 PM
You guys....

You guys...

you guys, seriously...

Seriously, you guys....

Guys seriously, you....

Seriously guys, you...

NoiseHERO
Sep 2, 2012, 03:26 PM
Seriously, you guys....

Guys seriously, you....

Seriously guys, you...

You seriously guys...

Guys...

Guys, srsly.

Dan Maku
Sep 2, 2012, 03:37 PM
My troll sense is tingling...

Mystil
Sep 2, 2012, 03:49 PM
Troll confirmed.

Yep, I thought the same thing when I read that..

But I'll add my thoughts anyway.. Trying to be "number 1" in an online game is a foolish goal to say the least, for one thing is there is gonna be someone that is better. Sure, go ahead if having a massive e-peen is your thing.

ScottyMango
Sep 2, 2012, 04:11 PM
You seriously guys...

Guys...

Guys, srsly.

http://obscurantist.com/wp-content/uploads/srsly_you_guys.jpg

Kanivakil
Sep 2, 2012, 07:10 PM

There is no point in the game. You play it as you please. If you want to see how many times you can jump in the lobby and spam at the same time, if you want to completely ignore the Matter Board, or if you just want to stay in the lobby all day like a bum that's perfectly fine too. Games these days are like sand boxes; it's not so linear and you can do whatever that pleases you.