PDA

View Full Version : Player versus Player: The Great Gamble

Kanivakil
Sep 3, 2012, 05:23 PM
Since there are so many players that are bored with this game and aren't willing to venture to other game titles for whatever reason that may be, there should be a player versus player mode where the winner loots the loser of all their equipment. Unlike gambling on grinding equipment, this would be the greatest and thrilling gamble the game could get. The winner would soon tire of the game because eventually there would be nothing else to accomplish or gain and the loser will continue working on obtaining the most coveted rare items.

There is one condition to play player vs. player mode. Both contestant or gladiators must equip the equal value of weapons and armor. This will be a test of true skill instead of uselessly hopping around and evading in the battlefield against the enemies that have useless AI and obvious weak points.

Dan Maku
Sep 3, 2012, 05:29 PM
I'd rather something similar to SMT: Imagine, where players fight in teams and winning teams get points that can be redeemed foe extra goodies, like 3-day room tickets.

Rika-chan
Sep 3, 2012, 05:30 PM
I'd rather something similar to SMT: Imagine, where players fight in teams and winning teams get points that can be redeemed foe extra goodies, like 3-day room tickets.

Yes please. There'd better be 3 day shop tickets :-x Never gotten a single one

Lostbob117
Sep 3, 2012, 05:31 PM
All their equipment, no more like the weapon they're using until the end of the battle like psobb.

ScottyMango
Sep 3, 2012, 05:33 PM
I want PVP, but if it was 'all their equipment', nobody would ever play it unless they were 110% certain they were going to win lol.

BIG OLAF
Sep 3, 2012, 05:33 PM
I want PVP, but if it was 'all their equipment', nobody would ever play it unless they were 110% certain they were going to win lol.

and then there would be server lag, and they die. Game over for them.

Reiketsu
Sep 3, 2012, 05:42 PM
Yes please. There'd better be 3 day shop tickets :-x Never gotten a single one

I always get shop tickets... no room tickets... I want room tickets... T_T"

Anyways, why not raise the stakes even higher? The loser dies. Like, literally. His character's dead and he can never play again, lol

On a more serious note, though:
the whole 'all equipment' thing goes a bit too far... I seriously wouldn't try it in that case ^^;
Maybe the contestants just have to pay an entry fee and the winner gets all the meseta?

Otherwise, I seriously want this... or they should at least add something like 'friendly fire' so when you do missions in a team, there's actually danger of accidentally killing your mates. That'd also make things more interesting.

iTz PooKiie xx
Sep 3, 2012, 06:04 PM
I would be down:P

Iduno
Sep 3, 2012, 06:26 PM
I'm all for pvp, but it should just be betting meseta, now way would I gamble any equipment when a single lag spike can destroy you.

gigawuts
Sep 3, 2012, 06:27 PM
In other games, sure, but in this game? Oh man everything will be tank, tank, tank, tank, tank.

Kanivakil
Sep 3, 2012, 06:34 PM
I'm all for pvp, but it should just be betting meseta, now way would I gamble any equipment when a single lag spike can destroy you.

There are so many people who want to prove that they are the best. There are players that believe that they are the best without credentials. This is where they can " put the money where your mouth is."

Everyone believes in something, but how much money are you willing to gamble that it is true? 10 bucks? You don't believe it enough--call it pseudo-belief. Your entire savings? Without a doubt, we now know you really believe what you think it true. Now it's time to prove it. Besides, without risk, where is the fun?

Omega-z
Sep 3, 2012, 06:55 PM
Some risk's should never be made. Good risk's - Measta, Grinder..etc of that type, Photon drops, Team point's, or any unwanted non-equip. Weapon/Armor/Clothes added to a treasure box for winner/s that would drop random to each player on the team if in a team.

Bad - Looting of any form since it would be gambling with real $ at times since some of the gear is real $ in digital form and would be against the TOS in the first place. So no equipment item's on person at all. That to it would stop competing in the first place if you took any chance of them trying again or getting better.

Narugami
Sep 3, 2012, 07:10 PM
Yeah, I can see problems arising here.

1) Alt F4, enter, when about to die.
2) All your equipment being lost.
3) I imagine players losing motivation to play if they lose all their +10 equips with 4 abilities and soul.
4) No one would pvp unless they are definitely sure they're gonna win.

~

Counter-suggestion: PvP with accumulative points. And then you can spend the points on 3 day rooms or shops, or actually, since it's pvp, make it 15 days. Or pvp exclusive costumes and accessories.

Coatl
Sep 3, 2012, 08:43 PM
If PvP is implemented they should have PvP exclusive items.
That'd make PvP desirable to play.

Not this betting meseta/weapons malarkey. :I

Zekester
Sep 3, 2012, 08:54 PM
God I hope not.

goldwing
Sep 3, 2012, 08:59 PM
Id like this idea if hackers never hacked.

KEV1N
Sep 3, 2012, 09:15 PM
PVP would be a joke. Have you guys done that story mission?

DS23
Sep 3, 2012, 09:51 PM
I one hundred percent do not want it in the game considering how well Sega's kept it secure so far. Hacky types would be attacking others in non PvP areas all over the place.

Sizustar
Sep 3, 2012, 09:57 PM
I one hundred percent do not want it in the game considering how well Sega's kept it secure so far. Hacky types would be attacking others in non PvP areas all over the place.

Their already doing it in some Free explore map.

gigawuts
Sep 3, 2012, 10:23 PM
PVP would be a joke. Have you guys done that story mission?

Yeah! Gettemhalt would just pick sides and guard against one player's attacks!

_Nue
Sep 3, 2012, 10:29 PM
If you want PvP, play the Korean version when it comes out.

KEV1N
Sep 3, 2012, 10:31 PM
Yeah! Gettemhalt would just pick sides and guard against one player's attacks!

Exactly!

Wait...

kkow
Sep 3, 2012, 10:50 PM
fk that. i just want pvp to mess around, golf people, and have fun. too much srsbsns would ruin pso2. in fact give me ship vs ship plz ktnx.

Eternal255
Sep 4, 2012, 01:58 AM
Pvp in this game wouldnt work... the damage isnt balanced what so ever, the classes arent balanced at all, none of it would work out.

I've hit things for 6k+, find me someone with that much hp. even my gunslash PA's with the least amount of s-atk hitting the highest defense enemy still hits for 90x5, thats almost an instant kill right there. and if they reworked the damage vs players they'd pretty much be changing the mechanics of the game. it worked in PSO/BB becuz hardly anyone ever did over 1000 damage without some seriously powerful weapon @ 100% + s/d, not to mention the invincibility in between, instant mate usage, etc.

Narugami
Sep 4, 2012, 03:29 AM
Pvp in this game wouldnt work... the damage isnt balanced what so ever, the classes arent balanced at all, none of it would work out.

I've hit things for 6k+, find me someone with that much hp. even my gunslash PA's with the least amount of s-atk hitting the highest defense enemy still hits for 90x5, thats almost an instant kill right there. and if they reworked the damage vs players they'd pretty much be changing the mechanics of the game. it worked in PSO/BB becuz hardly anyone ever did over 1000 damage without some seriously powerful weapon @ 100% + s/d, not to mention the invincibility in between, instant mate usage, etc.

1) Pvp would work.
2) Not sure about the class balances since I can never really tell just by fighting monsters. But since I hear it a lot then it could be true. But that's just against monsters.
3) I've hit things for 14k+, no one has that much HP. At least none so far.
4) They won't be changing the mechanics of the game by reworking the damage against players. They'll just, well, change the damage against players. Have you been to the floating continent? When players are panicked, they can attack other players. I've tried attacking others and being attacked, the damage is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced. I'm talking about 10, 11 damage.
5) I never played any other Phantasy Star games besides this so I have no say on that ):

~

As much as I hate quoting different games in a forum for a different game, think of Dragon Nest. The classes are indeed overpowered when fighting mobs, but in the pvp room, the damage against players are significantly reduced and there's also the option of raising the players' max HP.

Dextro
Sep 4, 2012, 03:42 AM
Have you been to the floating continent? When players are panicked, they can attack other players. I've tried attacking others and being attacked, the damage is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced. I'm talking about 10, 11 damage.

I don't know what you're being hit by, but 2 of my friends make it their mission to kill any panicked players during a Quartz fight and their numbers are still high. A single Diffuse Shell (the shotgun PA) deals 700-900 damage on players and has one-shot everyone so far lol....it's pretty funny to watch :-D

Narugami
Sep 4, 2012, 05:26 AM
I don't know what you're being hit by, but 2 of my friends make it their mission to kill any panicked players during a Quartz fight and their numbers are still high. A single Diffuse Shell (the shotgun PA) deals 700-900 damage on players and has one-shot everyone so far lol....it's pretty funny to watch :-D

You can hit panicked players too? I thought only panicked players were able to hit others @__@ I must try this.

Kilich
Sep 4, 2012, 05:47 AM
No to losing gear and money. I want this type of pvp to die with Lineage 2.

But Code: Arena where players can choose to teleport to a small pvp zone and are split in two teams\duels with preset equipment. Or maybe league of legends like type of pvp.

Mystil
Sep 4, 2012, 07:33 AM
I would be down:P

I would be too, but it would be for the real thing. Not in game. :)

Omega-z
Sep 4, 2012, 08:31 AM
You can't attack other's unless your Panic/Confused yourself, And most of the time it's the NPC's with no armor on what so ever. So yes, your attacks would do 700-900 damage it's still reduced from 6K+. But NPC's hit me it's 1 - 10 damage. And you shouldn't be able to hit a panic person at all unless it's a bug, since I never seen it at all with a npc being Panic and nukeing the area.

Reiketsu
Sep 4, 2012, 08:40 AM

Well, they could make it so that in PvP every player can only use the same weapon like the Gunslash :-? Or have completely new weapons that can only be used in PvP... Stats of all competitors are made identical, of course.

kkow
Sep 4, 2012, 08:59 AM
don't be silly, of course pvp would work, they can easily separate pve from pvp stats. put in some sort of base/point defend and maybe throw some npc controlled ragunes for a team and you are good to go! better yet, step on some buttons and have bombs spawn everywhere. you know, those ones in the mines and time attack.

Monkeyx
Sep 5, 2012, 11:43 AM

Who says classes aren't balanced in PvE? Forces take time to charge their spells for high hits, and they cant spam them because of PP restriction. Rangers are fast attacking but weaker with rifle, launchers have a cooldown time. Hunters are up close and personal, deal low-medium damage with medium attack times (they also get gear), they get block to make up for the fact that they need to get close to engage. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the balancing system as of now. We can't say anything about new classes as they are not out yet.

The thing about damage is simple: NERF IT, duh, 5% work?

Also, if you still dont like it, make pvp team-based. Then you can't complain about 2 forces KOing you if you dont have a force to KO them, you had the opportunity, you didnt take it

Well, they could make it so that in PvP every player can only use the same weapon like the Gunslash :-? Or have completely new weapons that can only be used in PvP... Stats of all competitors are made identical, of course.

Why would we need to give everybody the same stats? That's already done as there is no rng when leveling up, every character has predetermined stats for what level they are based on race, gender, and class. BTW gunslash would make rangers OP in this instance because it is a hit-scan weapon based upon r-atk.

The best way I can see of implementing pvp in this game is like how Runescape (don't rant yet, but it did have some qualities) did duel arena: OPTIONS.
~Set equipment: user made/tiered by star (per piece)
~Evade: Yes/No
~Active Skills (from skill tree): Yes/No
etc. (you get the point). Both players must accept, and if an option changes, the accept will go away, and the other player will be alerted of change. (2 confimation screens). This way you can't complain "Oh no, that wasn't fair, you cheated!" because you agreed to the same terms as the other guy (unless it was a blatant exploit)

Iduno
Sep 5, 2012, 01:39 PM
There are so many people who want to prove that they are the best. There are players that believe that they are the best without credentials. This is where they can " put the money where your mouth is."

Everyone believes in something, but how much money are you willing to gamble that it is true? 10 bucks? You don't believe it enough--call it pseudo-belief. Your entire savings? Without a doubt, we now know you really believe what you think it true. Now it's time to prove it. Besides, without risk, where is the fun?

Being the best isn't about showing how big your ego is, how good you THINK you are or about how much you bet, it's about winning consistantly against top level players in tournament settings.

That is being the best, being willing to stick some sick gear up for grabs is not being the best, it is merely confidence or foolishness.

Monkeyx
Sep 5, 2012, 02:05 PM
Being the best isn't about showing how big your ego is, how good you THINK you are or about how much you bet, it's about winning consistantly against top level players in tournament settings.

That is being the best, being willing to stick some sick gear up for grabs is not being the best, it is merely confidence or foolishness.

oh too true, however, having the option to bet your equips will appease a wider audience even if it is just a false sense of confidence, and foolishness. Though an even greater crime as seen by these people would be not having a leaderboard that is properly weighted (say 100 rounds min to get on the board, along with proper weighting 201/1 >100/0) per category, because 1v1 pvp would get bland fairly quickly, so options like 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, and all that standard stuff

I would also be kind of happy to see 3 party fights (4v4v4 for example), Team pvp, and other versions of pvp such as king of hill, variable person ffa, capture the flag o.O, but the team pvp, and ffa would be kind of important

Squire Grooktook
Sep 5, 2012, 02:47 PM
I don't think the game was really designed for pvp honestly. A lot of stuff on the skill tree would have to be banned (imagine a hunter vs hunter duel where the one with hp advantage just stands still and just guards every attack to be unkillable). The weapons would be unbalanced (I can't see any reason to use a sword in pvp except for pa's cause Partisan would be fast enough to stuff every sword slash on start up).

I'd rather just play a fighting game with air combos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Vs_Capcom) and pretend it's pso2.

Zyrusticae
Sep 5, 2012, 02:56 PM
I don't think the game was really designed for pvp honestly. A lot of stuff on the skill tree would have to be banned (imagine a hunter vs hunter duel where the one with hp advantage just stands still and just guards every attack to be unkillable). The weapons would be unbalanced (I can't see any reason to use a sword in pvp except for pa's cause Partisan would be fast enough to stuff every sword slash on start up).

I'd rather just play a fighting game with air combos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Vs_Capcom) and pretend it's pso2.
Pretty much this.

Also, the thread title is amusingly accurate for once. A gamble, indeed!

Darki
Sep 5, 2012, 03:27 PM
While I don't like PvP in any game, I don't see why would it be that bad to implement. They'd only need to cause attacks to do much less damage against humans (blaming it to photon shielding system or some similar bullshit), and even skills could stay there.

I would probably not step in there in my whole game careeer, but it would be a good attraction to those who like it. And if you don't like, don't play it. I dunno why people tend to be like "oh noes I dun like, nobawdy shuld do it then, not in mah PSO!11!".

How stupid.

Enforcer MKV
Sep 5, 2012, 03:43 PM
While I don't like PvP in any game, I don't see why would it be that bad to implement. They'd only need to cause attacks to do much less damage against humans (blaming it to photon shielding system or some similar bullshit), and even skills could stay there.

I would probably not step in there in my whole game careeer, but it would be a good attraction to those who like it. And if you don't like, don't play it. I dunno why people tend to be like "oh noes I dun like, nobawdy shuld do it then, not in mah PSO!11!".

How stupid.

That being said, I don't want the dev team to divert themselves from the main focus of the game; which is PvE content. Any effort to branch into PvP will require employees, money and time that could be spent on fleshing out the PvE experience. I worry that, since Sega's restructuring, they don't have the capital to continue expanding the PvE experience at the same - or higher - level while also exploring/implementing Player versus Player.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is I'd prefer if they focused on the few things they are right now, instead of trying to spread themselves further. Games do that too often now-a-days, I think.

Coatl
Sep 5, 2012, 03:44 PM
We'll definitely have PvP, you can count on it. Will it be straight up player versus player in some generic arena? Hell no.
I think Sakai will implement a PvP where one group of members must work together to defeat the other team. That seems the most reasonable.

Sizustar
Sep 5, 2012, 04:32 PM
That being said, I don't want the dev team to divert themselves from the main focus of the game; which is PvE content. Any effort to branch into PvP will require employees, money and time that could be spent on fleshing out the PvE experience. I worry that, since Sega's restructuring, they don't have the capital to continue expanding the PvE experience at the same - or higher - level while also exploring/implementing Player versus Player.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is I'd prefer if they focused on the few things they are right now, instead of trying to spread themselves further. Games do that too often now-a-days, I think.

Sakai have already stated, if there was any PVP content, it'll be something that the Korean team would work on, as it's not a priority for his team.

Zyrusticae
Sep 5, 2012, 04:34 PM

How stupid.
What Enforcer said, but in addition to this the damage is not the problem. Like Squire Grooktook said, you still have the problem of hit stun (actually, this is a problem endemic to the entire game, not just PvP). A game where whoever gets the first hit wins is not going to be fun, no matter how you slice it. Alternatively, a game where someone just Just Guards everything (because the window is some 30 frames, which is insane relative to actual fighting games) wouldn't be much fun, either.

As I mentioned in previous threads, games that do PvP well are all designed for it in the first place. Shoe-horning PvP into a PvE game either results in the PvP being neglected or downright maligned at worst, and either situation represents a considerable waste of development resources that would have been better-spent on something that would actually be played.

Sakai have already stated, if there was any PVP content, it'll be something that the Korean team would work on, as it's not a priority for his team.
Source please, and since when did Sega have a Korean team?

Darki
Sep 5, 2012, 05:16 PM
I agree with that, but my point is that PvP, if it was treated as a separate feature like a "move to PvP area where we apply PvP mechanics" the game could be fine-tuned into better balance for that matter.

dablacksephiroth
Sep 5, 2012, 09:33 PM
Source please, and since when did Sega have a Korean team?

I just entered this thread, didn't read first page, only came to the last, saw this.. sooo... don't go assumin' I'm agreeing or disagreeing to anything anybody's said/done here thus far, I just so happen to recall reading this and where I read it and wanted to show.

http://bumped.org/psublog/page/12/

The source you seek is in the "What Game Culturalization Means For You?" section. The final paragraph just above the summer picture with "Blog Updates".

Zyrusticae
Sep 5, 2012, 10:12 PM
Ahaha, that? That wasn't even close to a statement that any PvP content would be worked on "by a Korean team", only that they would consider adding PvP post-launch if they decided to do a Korean version. There isn't even such a thing as a Sega of Korea, so yeah, it would take from primary development resources.

Narugami
Sep 5, 2012, 11:06 PM
Ahaha, that? That wasn't even close to a statement that any PvP content would be worked on "by a Korean team", only that they would consider adding PvP post-launch if they decided to do a Korean version. There isn't even such a thing as a Sega of Korea, so yeah, it would take from primary development resources.

What. So we're not getting pvp unless they release a korean version?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KTaKCjoCpvI/TuNz4SrznBI/AAAAAAAAA4o/xkfMCLCT8bs/s1600/zoidberg-why.png

Sizustar
Sep 5, 2012, 11:34 PM

There was a Sega of korea, but no longer exist since 2008
http://sega-spk.co.kr/