PDA

View Full Version : Item Lack of "Unique" weapons / if only "just" attack became the new "heavy" attack

MegaZoneXE
Sep 7, 2012, 05:14 PM
Was talking to someone in game about the lack of these type of weapons.

In PSO, Last Survivor had Gush, (the 3rd and the rarest DRAIN HP ATTRIBUTE) Special Drains 17% of Enemy's HP...

Now, not to be a nostalgia nerd, In PSO2, its basically like any other sword dues to the fact that we can get any attribute on any weapons. thats with any weapon with any rarity. AGITO had its own attack animation(which was actually the default animation for all sabers in PSO BETA)

Weapons now are pretty much all the same now regardless of its rarity. remember attributes like Geist, Charge or Hell? we need those. http://www.shinforce.com/dreamcast/strategy/PSO-WeaponAttributes.htm

in PSZ, certain weapons did more damage with certain photon arts..and since PAs were fixed.

These weapons are more rewarding when finding i think
They could bring every weapon back and even make original ones but if the dont stand out* they'll be all re-skins. (e.i. *gender/race restriction, fixed/ special attributes, visual effects, photon art restrictions, special animations,etc)

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165402

Just attack has become standard since PSU, its basically PSO's medium attack. PSO's heavy attack or extra or special attack was centered around weapon's attributes and gave weapons their visual effects. just attack would have been great if it were that.

Acel
Sep 7, 2012, 05:24 PM
I miss my 1 hit kill Slicer ... sigh...

HFlowen
Sep 7, 2012, 05:32 PM
This really does need to make a comeback. They've tried to play it off by making certain rares always drop with a certain affix, but it's not the same. I can put freeze 2 on anything I want, it being on every razrail doesn't make it special.

I wouldn't think it would be hard to have special attacks return, just make it an action I can tie to the 1-9 buttons or whatever. Heck if I know how the game code works though.

If anyone knows japanese half-well, I'd put the suggestion to give rares a special attack on my survey I still haven't done.

Fox2Tails
Sep 7, 2012, 06:01 PM
It would be nice to see weapons again that have different uses aside from just how hard they hit, 'cause that's all I see from weapons on PSO2. They had it right in PSP2/i though not as many options. All I have to go on is looks and that's just not good enough for me as my choices are limited

I also wish they'd do away with this PP stuff, bring back TP!

NoiseHERO
Sep 7, 2012, 06:13 PM
That Towards The Future survey!

Mystil
Sep 7, 2012, 06:15 PM

..This.

NoiseHERO
Sep 7, 2012, 06:18 PM
I think FOs should've had TP. Or a second bar for TP in general that only depletes with tech use.

Fox2Tails
Sep 7, 2012, 06:24 PM
Well PP in PSU was okay, each weapon had a large pool to use but in PSP/2/i/O2 it became a small number attached to the char and that limited what you could do, especially FOs

NoiseHERO
Sep 7, 2012, 06:28 PM
The PP system ruined non-hunter/Melee vanguard classes for me in PSP2. >________________>;;

I heard it was better(or those other classes worked around it better) in Infinity though.

Slidikins
Sep 7, 2012, 06:32 PM
In PSO, 1-6* items could drop with any attribute. Rare items had the special attributes.

What if, in PSO, rare items had an attribute that was locked onto it? This could be an attribute that already exists, like Burn III, or one that's completely unique like Hell. (Which in this case would be a small chance of 1-Hit Kill on a Just Attack.)

So no matter how you fail with affixing attributes, that one will always be on it.

Mystil
Sep 7, 2012, 06:36 PM
And then again, I kinda don't wont too many ver1 elements back in the game.

Zyrusticae
Sep 7, 2012, 06:37 PM
No thanks. I actually prefer not having to down fluids like I'm about to pass out from dehydration, and actually having decent reason to go into melee to whack things with my rod (other than "just because").

Fox2Tails
Sep 7, 2012, 06:51 PM
No thanks. I actually prefer not having to down fluids like I'm about to pass out from dehydration, and actually having decent reason to go into melee to whack things with my rod (other than "just because").

I can't stand FOing in this game because of it, a standard setup gets you 3-4 casts before you have to whack something or stand around being useless waiting for your PP to regenerate 'cause you got nothing else to do

Neith
Sep 7, 2012, 06:57 PM
I can't stand FOing in this game because of it, a standard setup gets you 3-4 casts before you have to whack something or stand around being useless waiting for your PP to regenerate 'cause you got nothing else to do

There's an ability that regens your PP while you're casting. Lets you fire off a lot more techs before you burn out.

Fox2Tails
Sep 7, 2012, 07:03 PM
There's an ability that regens your PP while you're casting. Lets you fire off a lot more techs before you burn out.

Which costs atleast 14 SP to get there and forces you to invest in Fire

ShilohSham
Sep 7, 2012, 07:06 PM
Which costs atleast 14 SP to get there and forces you to invest in Fire

well you cannot get something for noting, beside it a pretty much a given fact the foie tree has all the skills you want

Slidikins
Sep 7, 2012, 07:08 PM
Which costs atleast 14 SP to get there and forces you to invest in FireIt's easily a must-grab skill on the tree. And half the monsters you encounter in the game are weak to fire, so that investment isn't entirely useless.

NoiseHERO
Sep 7, 2012, 07:09 PM
Welp, the original point of this thread is pretty much cleared. :S

Fox2Tails
Sep 7, 2012, 07:12 PM
Still doesn't make me want to play FO any more than I do now

Zyrusticae
Sep 7, 2012, 07:20 PM
Considering everything dies well before I run out of PP in normal circumstances (minus bosses obviously), I am very hard-pressed to care. :-?

Darki
Sep 7, 2012, 07:33 PM

So you'd rather tech around and having to carry liters of fluids to be able to keep using techs, with no way to regenerate, other than stopping every 5 minutes to pop an item and hacving to pipe back to the lobby to restore them when you run out of them?

Lol, not in hell. That mechanic can stay buried in PSO. Leave me whacking happily my enemies for PP.

NoiseHERO
Sep 7, 2012, 07:46 PM
I don't get it, you guys did it in PSO and PSU without acting like it was so terrible for the sake of opinion argumentation. D:

LordChampion
Sep 7, 2012, 08:27 PM
Forces open wide once you get Charge PP Regen.

And to the OP, make it special for yourself. Yes all your weapons can have the same special ability, but that's on you to either customize to taste or ignore it completely. Don't complain that you're not being given anything special when you're being given the ability to make it special much easier than before.

Sp-24
Sep 7, 2012, 08:33 PM
When every weapon is equally special, every weapon is equally bland, and that is the point of the OP, and is also common sense.

NoiseHERO
Sep 7, 2012, 08:38 PM
But it's special in the way you customize it!

So it really depends on how you look at it and your preference... I mostly agree with OP that weapons could be more unique.

But if you apply it to something like character creation... I'd probably quit in a week if we had gender/character design locked classes. Or PSO's character creation... I dunno how modern MMO's like that get any form of popular, Though even the dated PSO does it a million times better than others that do it, I guess...

I do find it interesting that you can go out of your way to put a lot of time and money into making a weapon the way you want it... Even though you're limited by huge penalties and set backs for trying.

Zyrusticae
Sep 7, 2012, 09:08 PM
I don't get it, you guys did it in PSO and PSU without acting like it was so terrible for the sake of opinion argumentation. D:
I never played Force in PSO or PSU.

That should tell you something. :-?

NoiseHERO
Sep 7, 2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah well those games sucked anyway.

Tenlade
Sep 7, 2012, 09:55 PM

In pso I just brought a holy ray or 50h bringer rifle and saved all my limited tp for resta, buffs and debuffs, and reverser. Fluids were too expensive, especially when you have to go mag feeding too.

I couldn't stand forces and rangers in psu because of that terrible system.

Darki
Sep 7, 2012, 10:25 PM

I never played a pure FO in PSO, but in PSU things were much different.

To begin with, weapons had their own pool of PP, meaning that in the case you'd run out of it you could just swap weapons and there you'd get a full bar. Also, weapons had an inmense pool of PP compared to the cost of many techs. There were rods that could grind to almost 3000 PP. Most of them were well over a thousand points even without grinds. And then you had wands and madoogs, that could get a combined amount of nearly 4000 PP when grinded, and they'd get at least 2000 points together even without grinds.

But then, no offensive tech cost over 60 PP. in fact most of them were on the 30's range. And on top of that, weapons had the abbility to restore PP over time. You could boost this ability with some units, and in many cases just by the time between monster spawns you could restore a good deal of PP.

With not too good equipment you could clear a whole mission without popping even one photon charge. I managed to do this on my WT. And of course, charges were cheap as dirt, anyways.

But I still prefer PSO2 system. In fact, I would have preferred that tech weapons had some sort of "magic normal attack" like some other RPGs have, some sort of neutral magic projectile that would serve the same function as ranged weapons bullets. The fact that you have to whack things with a rod to rrestore PP seems to me like if you had to smack enemies with the back of the rifle for the same use. Still, as a former Wartecher I enjoy the system much more than PSO or PSU.

Ecchi
Sep 7, 2012, 10:34 PM
Quit bitching the game just came out not too long ago, this community is full of crybabys....I really do see a repeat of PSU, not because of the game but because of fags like the op....Find something worth bitching about.

#flamed ;)

#I really did enjoy that, seen to many unvalid post but its to be expected.

ShadowDragon28
Sep 8, 2012, 12:00 AM
I predict specials like "hell", "charge", etc will be "ability" for weapons in the near future....

dablacksephiroth
Sep 8, 2012, 11:33 AM
I still suspect the weapon category we're currently going on about as "Rod"... is still just a "Cane" as far as PSO1 categories go.

As Darki was describing, that's exactly how I was suspecting the real "Rod" or Staff or 2h Cane, once released, is going to do its basic attacks (Left-Click). What more I'm curious about is how they'll make it unique from the "Cane". Will it's Tech damage be 2x from "Cane" and Charge attacks slower to cast? Or will they simply limit the Category to one class like Wand is starting out doing and make it the Successor?

Need to do some research... I don't even remember.. how did Canes work in PSO1 as far as... um... well.. what was the reason to ever use a Cane in PSO1 instead of a Rod? Were there even any S-Rank or Special Weapon Canes? o.o

MegaZoneXE
Sep 8, 2012, 12:22 PM
Quit bitching the game just came out not too long ago, this community is full of crybabys....I really do see a repeat of PSU, not because of the game but because of fags like the op....Find something worth bitching about.

#flamed ;)

#I really did enjoy that, seen to many unvalid post but its to be expected.

if you want bitching and crybabies, go to the Japanese pso2 forum. only difference is they actually get what they want.( e.i."this client is too hard" *Sakai makes it easier*)

This is simply an observation of how the weapon's and its systems are presented to us.

Jakosifer
Sep 8, 2012, 12:25 PM
I really just want the Rage special back. High risk, high reward style gameplay is my favorite, and I would run around with like 10 HP all of the time.

gigawuts
Sep 8, 2012, 12:34 PM
I've been suggesting from pretty early on in the game that unique weapons get PA's with unique properties or behaviors, and for a starting point the orochiagito could make a return as a sword with the partisan PA Speed Rain. Depending on how the item system is set up it could be very easy to implement - just give it a default PA of 3x speed rain on equip, and allow the player to replace them.

It's not a very good long term solution, however, it would make the orochiagito a unique and desirable sword in the short term. Speed rain would work wonders on the sword's gear bar, especially since you can dash during that PA (presumably dashing during PA's is on a PA-level, not weapon-level, e.g. you can dash during all partisan PA's and you can dash during most of the sword's PA twister fall, but not other sword PA's)

In the long term we just need another button. Two buttons - one normal and one PA - just isn't enough input methods. It could be lazily done on the hotbar, but...meh.

Either way I'm in 100% agreement with you, OP. Weapons are just reskins, and that's no way to make a weapon desirable unless you really really want a worse performing weapon just for its aesthetics (which I have in the past - soul eater and shigno braver are two of my favorite weapons so far).

This isn't a crybaby thread, this is a legitimate issue. If everything's a reskin of a reskin of a reskin nobody will give a fuck after a few months of the hardest difficulty being unlocked.

Finalzone
Sep 8, 2012, 02:57 PM

No thanks. PP forces players to efficiently use their skills/techniques, not abuse them.

Mystil
Sep 8, 2012, 03:34 PM
No thanks. PP forces players to efficiently use their skills/techniques, not abuse them.

TP did the exact same thing. Considering having 1800TP didn't mean you can spam techs infinitely. Not to mention many runs back to P2 to restock on trifluids(remember, all 10 difluids could fill you back up, then you're at the mercy of tri) because people who didnt need them, kept picking them up..

Angelo
Sep 8, 2012, 06:41 PM
The PP system makes combat more dynamic.

TP was just a terrible hassle.

Also, thematically, PP makes me feel like my character actually has an exhaustible life force that my techs come from. TP just made me feel like my techs came from being doped up all the time.

Hansha
Sep 8, 2012, 06:51 PM
They could allow rares to give out a special attack by using an extra button or using a couple of just attack frames for them. For example, make a yellow ring for the two or three frames of the red ring so you can do special attack and then the cool stuff happens.

dablacksephiroth
Sep 8, 2012, 09:20 PM
The PP system makes combat more dynamic.

TP was just a terrible hassle.

Also, thematically, PP makes me feel like my character actually has an exhaustible life force that my techs come from. TP just made me feel like my techs came from being doped up all the time.

On same page with this guy! Here's a FINE example of why the PP system should remain how it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfpGoKgxMLU

*Depletion of the pool and using basic attacks to recover when depleted is remarkable.
*Force only has 1 Casting animation per weapon. We are a very boring-to-watch class, even with or when we get our eyecandy Techniques.
*Depletion with Basic Attacks recovery encourages you to be more aware of your surroundings faster than if it weren't the way it is, otherwise.. with the range distance that Techs get to fire at, you'll just snipe and never get close. You'll whine when certain maps force you and your team to be in small enclosed areas.
*If every Force could cast 20 times in a row like in that old video, the game would need some serious readjustments... AGAIN.

After experiencing a game known as Dragon Nest, I.. for some reason, had high hopes that SEGA would take our beloved PSO's Force or any Technique users and finally help us look amazing too, dynamically animating AND granting us ultra looking eyecandy Techniques whilst dishing out the numbers! The way an Eastern Magic-User should be played.

But alas... we're stuck with 1 animation. Fast and simple, but boring.

Sp-24
Sep 8, 2012, 11:41 PM
I, too, wonder, do people want TP instead of PP because that's how it was in PSO, or do they want it for some actual reason, like "Forces are currently too fun to play as" or "Rafoie just isn't being spammed quite enough yet".

NoiseHERO
Sep 8, 2012, 11:43 PM
I just saw it as... you know...

Every other RPG your magic is limited but lasts longer than 4-5/8 casts.

Not to be a dick but I didn't care THAT much to read everyone's wall of text on why tp is horrible...

Not to say that I'm broken up or anything since, current PP system works fine, I guess. At least compared to lolportable2.

gigawuts
Sep 9, 2012, 12:01 AM
I really like PSO2's system with PP, and far prefer it over the TP system in PSO1. They really did right on this. It's particularly well balanced on a class level too.

I do wish rafoie needed more PP to use, though.