PDA

View Full Version : What method does Sega use to ban people?

FlameOfYagami
Sep 8, 2012, 01:03 AM
Do they just issue normal bans such ass ban your current account or is it something a little better like an actual IP ban that way you wont make a new account?

If they just ban you by simply banning your current account but let you freely make a new account then they are never going to stop all these haxors.

Also, RMT seems to be a big thing in this game, but my question hwo do people actually report RMT's? How is it even possible to know who's RMTing or not? It seem like a really hard thing to accomplish.

Obviously when people are hacking things it's pretty obvious, but RMT isn't obvious at all unless the player tells you that he's doing it.

Chik'Tikka
Sep 8, 2012, 01:12 AM
as far as i know, they start out by banning accounts, however, after an investigation, if a particular IP address is an issue, they can ban that IP address+^_^+ everyone hase a unique outward facing IP address issued by an ISP, in fact we're running out of them, so a new system of IP addressing for outward IP addresses is being implemented using a hexadecimal value+^_^+

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

" IPv6 is intended to succeed IPv4, which is the dominant communications protocol for most Internet traffic as of 2012.[1] IPv6 was developed to deal with the long-anticipated problem of IPv4 running out of addresses. IPv6 implements a new addressing system that allows for far more addresses to be assigned than with IPv4."

FlameOfYagami
Sep 8, 2012, 01:18 AM
Soo all those 1000+ accounts they banned during august-sept can all just easily make a brand new accound and start haxing away? Lmao.

Damn that's pretty bad...

RocSage
Sep 8, 2012, 01:42 AM
They have Batman break your hands while you sleep.

FOnewearl-Lina
Sep 8, 2012, 01:42 AM
Soo all those 1000+ accounts they banned during august-sept can all just easily make a brand new accound and start haxing away? Lmao.

Damn that's pretty bad...

Are you like, new to MMOs or something?
Even if the company issues an IP ban, they'll just use some VPN tunnel to get past it.

Most of the time the RMTers don't even care if their accounts get banned because they've already profited before the banhammer comes down on them.

Best thing you can do to stop this is to make the game not fun, like they did with Final Fantasy XIV +^_^+ They made that game so anti-RMT with stupid restrictions that it made the game unplayable and tediously boring.

FlameOfYagami
Sep 8, 2012, 01:50 AM
Are you like, new to MMOs or something?
Even if the company issues an IP ban, they'll just use some VPN tunnel to get past it.

Most of the time the RMTers don't even care if their accounts get banned because they've already profited before the banhammer comes down on them.

Best thing you can do to stop this is to make the game not fun, like they did with Final Fantasy XIV +^_^+ They made that game so anti-RMT with stupid restrictions that it made the game unplayable and tediously boring.

I guess so? The only online RPG's i've played have been PSO, but PSO isn't really an MMO. So it's understandable that i'm up todate on all of the haxing methods the haxorz use and what not.

That said thank you for giving an answer to my question.

So from what i've read thus far basically the haxorz have to get "bored" of the game in order to stop.

FOnewearl-Lina
Sep 8, 2012, 02:04 AM
So from what i've read thus far basically the haxorz have to get "bored" of the game in order to stop.

Just remembered that PSO2 keeps a record of the machines you used the game on, so they could probably ban by machine as well.
Hey, but the wicked user could always buy a new machine or spoof the identity!

Anyway, remember what happened to Playstation Notwork last year? Even big fish go down.

FlameOfYagami
Sep 8, 2012, 02:09 AM
Just remembered that PSO2 keeps a record of the machines you used the game on, so they could probably ban by machine as well.

Anyway, remember what happened to Playstation Notwork last year? Even big fish go down.

That would actually be an awesome way to ban people. Ban their PC and force them to get a new one ^-^

That would def get them off the game for sure. Unless their money grows on trees =P

Chik'Tikka
Sep 8, 2012, 02:15 AM

changing a NIC MAC address is very easy, so ban by machine wouldn't be as effective as IP bans i think+^_^+ unless the ID a machine some other way+^_^+

Sp-24
Sep 8, 2012, 02:17 AM
Yeah banning an individual PC is next to impossible, save for frying it using some sort of highly invasive malicious software (Gameguard, lol).

FOnewearl-Lina
Sep 8, 2012, 02:20 AM
Yeah banning an individual PC is next to impossible, save for frying it using some sort of highly invasive malicious software (Gameguard, lol).

That's exactly what Gameguard is doing to your machine as we speak! +^_^+

LordChampion
Sep 8, 2012, 02:48 AM
Read the TOS. Your first born is all but guaranteed to go to Sakai himself. He is building an army of lost children.

Stormwalker
Sep 8, 2012, 06:22 AM
Theoretically, it would be possible to ban a machine by building a hardware profile of it. I wouldn't be surprised if Gameguard was capable of getting the necessary information. You'd have to make significant hardware changes to get around it.

Not that I think this is a good idea; it's bad enough that Microsoft does something very like this for Windows activation.

But really, the only effective ways to stop the RMT types are so restrictive that nobody wants to see them implemented. (Or they could go into the RMT business themselves and outright sell meseta with AC, undercutting all the RMT'ers, but I don't think we really want that, either).

FOnewearl-Lina
Sep 8, 2012, 07:15 AM
But really, the only effective ways to stop the RMT types are so restrictive that nobody wants to see them implemented. (Or they could go into the RMT business themselves and outright sell meseta with AC, undercutting all the RMT'ers, but I don't think we really want that, either).

They tried this once, it's called Final Fantasy XIV...

Invisible limits on gathering and inputting commands, y'know, just to see if you were a human and not falling asleep at the keyboard. Cause then you might be a bot!

Stormwalker
Sep 8, 2012, 08:38 AM
Yes, I've played some FFXIV. And they actually started down this path with some of the fishing stuff in XI. So I'm well familiar with Square-Enix's attempts to fight RMT and how annoying to legitimate gamers they can be.

Gama
Sep 8, 2012, 09:01 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/3D-printed-ban-hammer.jpg/220px-3D-printed-ban-hammer.jpg

this.

Retehi
Sep 8, 2012, 10:04 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/3D-printed-ban-hammer.jpg/220px-3D-printed-ban-hammer.jpg

this.

What's a nab hammer?

FlameOfYagami
Sep 8, 2012, 10:08 AM
What's a nab hammer?

Lol xD

That looks like a rubber hammer too =P

Gama
Sep 8, 2012, 10:13 AM
its the nab ramber that leaves a ban on your forehead :D

anubispso2
Sep 8, 2012, 04:36 PM
they ban via ip and mac id. they have done range ip bans so far on netherlands and one area in UK as well... they just wildcard ban ranges when they get mad.. :-o

FOnewearl-Lina
Sep 8, 2012, 06:52 PM
lol why Netherlands?

DS23
Sep 8, 2012, 07:03 PM
Those were the ranges Broomop was using I guess?