PDA

View Full Version : The origin on Megid

PhantasmalCat
Sep 15, 2012, 07:03 PM
So I was playing Pso2 the other day when I noticed something. Many of the technics are similar to the skills in Persona 3. One especially being megid. If you're not sure what I'm talking about let me lay it out for you.

Zonde=Zio
Barta=Bufu
Megid=Megido

The persona counterparts for Grants and Foie don't have similar names however.
Does any one know where these names come from, because it seems to be more than a coincidence.:-? I can't be the only one who's noticed this right?!

jooozek
Sep 15, 2012, 07:06 PM
No clue what you are trying to say here but Megid dates to the series start, back to 80s. First Shin Megami Tensei title came out in 1992.

Gama
Sep 15, 2012, 07:09 PM
ive seen similar terms in manga, theyre probbly based on the name of elements of some language, or something like that.

No clue what you are trying to say here but Megid dates to the series start, back to 80s.

and yes its been there since the first game i think

Gardios
Sep 15, 2012, 07:31 PM
メギド -> Megido -> Har Megiddo -> Armageddon

...maybe.

Jonth
Sep 15, 2012, 07:46 PM
I always assumed that Megid was derived from the Biblical place where Armageddon is prophesied to take place, which is the valley of Megiddo. So yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines as Gardios.

FOnewearl-Lina
Sep 15, 2012, 07:55 PM
Armageddon, because it's better than calling your spell INDIGNATION.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx347oDXJdc

Sinue_v2
Sep 15, 2012, 08:03 PM
Second game, actually, where it stole half of all team HP and converted that into fiery explosive damage. Megid in PS is a very different spell than the Megid of PSO onward. It is the ultimate sum of hartred and pain, channeled into destructive force, and if overused will consume the soul of the wielder. Or so game lore goes... there's no actual negative effects from spamming the crap out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGHRgkxeZUs

In PSIII it was called Megido, and was only seen in cinematics as the force which is released by the hero's anger and destroys tears asunder the sunken city of Lashute. The party is protected from the debris and teleported out of the collapse by Mieu casting Grants, another cinematic only tech. It didn't appear in the series again until PSO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssj-tmyC16o

It wasn't until PSO that Megid became a "Dark" spell, and Grants returned as a "Light" spell... probably to compliment the dichotomy of Light vs. Dark as elemental forces, bound together a bit more (albeit loosely) by the running theme of the Great Light (Photons) vs. Profound Darkness (Dark Falz).

The name of Megid probably comes from the term "Armageddon" as a general concept, or as it's called in Hebrew, "Megiddo"... taking inspiration from the destruction of the battle and the suffering that's supposed to occur there. I'm not sure what the naming convention for Grants was supposed to be.

So insofar as Persona is concerned, it probably isn't a coincidence that they draw the names for that spell from the same source (Christian eschatology).

Slidikins
Sep 15, 2012, 08:22 PM
Armageddon, because it's better than calling your spell INDIGNATION.Indignation is the single greatest thing ever. I actually took points away from Vesperia for not having it originally.

Gardios
Sep 15, 2012, 08:40 PM
Grants could be as simple as Glanz, which translates to radiance/glitter/whatever.

dablacksephiroth
Sep 15, 2012, 08:49 PM
Everyone knows Gimegid comes from Dragon Nest, though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG9K5dAywbg

Geistritter
Sep 15, 2012, 09:38 PM
Phantasy Star borrows heavily from mythology - Megid in particular does indeed seem to refer to a hill in Israel that is said to be where God and Satan will battle before the end of the world. So it is, as mentioned earlier, a reference to Armageddon. Greek is also a common source of the series' nomenclature. No more or less complicated than that.

Yaski
Sep 15, 2012, 10:39 PM
Huge Persona series fan. Particularly Persona 4 on PS2. I completely understand what you are saying. Force myself. Loved Megid the moment I cast my first black ball of death. I also felt the similarity right away.. lol Couldn't pin point it right away though.

Pirrip
Sep 15, 2012, 10:54 PM
メギド -> Megido -> Har Megiddo -> Armageddon

...maybe.

This is right. Har is Mountain in Hebrew. It's referring to the (I think Christian) lore about the end of the world brought on by a battle on Mount Megiddo? Something like that.

Fun Fact! The mountain is in Israel and it's where the IDF(Israeli Defense Force) takes outings to train it's special forces(Specifically in Krav Maga).

AFKei
Sep 16, 2012, 02:20 AM
So it seems I'm not the only one tripping up on the whole Megid(o) business. Mainly the whole romanticizing things as it is spelt out the exact same way.

eharima
Sep 16, 2012, 03:27 AM
Idk but it sucks that it dosent have hell attribute now.
I have the feeling they will implement specials like charge, demons and hell
But like lucky rise and another history from tekking only :/

Jonth
Sep 16, 2012, 04:36 AM
Idk but it sucks that it dosent have hell attribute now.
I have the feeling they will implement specials like charge, demons and hell
But like lucky rise and another history from tekking only :/

Demons and Hell? Not very Phantasy Star-esque.

Neith
Sep 16, 2012, 07:54 AM
Demons and Hell? Not very Phantasy Star-esque.

Demons and Hell were both from PSO (Demons quartered an enemy's HP and Hell was an instant-kill status).

I do wish Megid had instant-kill chance in PSO2 though (provided enemies could use it too), but a homing poison-bomb is good enough :lol:

Dycize
Sep 16, 2012, 08:28 AM
Just my two cents in the whole spell-naming sense : Foie, as written in Japanese (フォイェ) is pronounced just like Foyer, which is French for Hearth. And now you know how it relates to fire.
Gardios might be onto something with Grants/Glanz.
And obviously, the whole Megid(do) case is now solved.
Barta, Zonde and Zan are the only remaining mysteries.

Gama
Sep 16, 2012, 09:06 AM
uh it does insta kill. it did several times for me. i cant possybly kill a lvl 32 mob with only one megid. yet i did.

Saffran
Sep 16, 2012, 09:26 AM
I thought Foi(e) was for german Feuer (fire).
Ryuker -> Rückkehr, Hinas -> hinaus
I think many of the PS2 spells were from german anyway.
Somehow for zan I see 斬 as it litteraly cuts the ennemy (esp gizan), but maybe it's just me.

Dycize
Sep 16, 2012, 09:40 AM
...I knew Zan felt familiar. Yeah, that seem very plausible. How's feuer pronounced?

Gardios
Sep 16, 2012, 11:28 AM
Was thinking the same regarding Zan. Feuer's usually フォイヤー, so Foie's pretty damn close.

Jonth
Sep 16, 2012, 01:55 PM
Demons and Hell were both from PSO (Demons quartered an enemy's HP and Hell was an instant-kill status).

I do wish Megid had instant-kill chance in PSO2 though (provided enemies could use it too), but a homing poison-bomb is good enough :lol:

Oh, didn't really get to play PSO (played through Forest on a private server and stopped). I just didn't remember very many references to Demons or Hell in Phantasy Star I-IV, so I got a little confused. So were Demon and Hell weapon special effects then?