PDA

View Full Version : Which is more fun? Ranger or Gunner?

Squire Grooktook
Sep 22, 2012, 12:31 AM
To those who have tried both extensively, which do you find more entertaining to play?

I'm not asking which one is better or more useful. But I'm curious which one is the most engaging/interesting to play.

Sirius-91
Sep 22, 2012, 12:55 AM
I find it harder to go back to Ranger. My reason is do to how fast paced Gunner is and how I'm less caring about using launcher and Rifle and caring more on the dps side of the game. Like I'm not trying to kill, but inflict damage enough so my party and teammates can kill faster.

kyojin
Sep 22, 2012, 12:59 AM
IMO being a gunner is fun, shooting stuff up while all the mobs hit air is just enjoyable and the fast paced action is the fun part

pikachief
Sep 22, 2012, 01:10 AM
I'd say out of which I have more fun with I'd pick gunner. Ranger seems a bit easier to be more efficient with, but gunner is just quick fun fighting :P

JeyKama
Sep 22, 2012, 01:21 AM
Gunner is incredibly inefficient. All of its shots root you, which I find ironic considering it is supposed to be a "mobile" fighter. All of its mechgun PAs have terrible hit paths (other than Dead Approach, I guess) and bad aoe range. Chain Trigger only works with your party and is basically impossible to use on moving targets. On bosses though, you can be as clingy as saran wrap without much fear thanks to the air dodge. For levelling though, I resorted to grenade shell spam (which is 33% wider aoe range than Reverse Tap) with a rifle to keep myself from going sick.

on the other hand, seeing how long I can stay airborne with auto -> auto -> grenade shell after getting some levels in PP Restorate is kind of a fun metagame

tl;dr - GU is great at bosses. For everything else (which is 95% of your time at least) it is all style and no substance.

disclaimer - I never bought into the Matrix shenanigans, but I gave it a chance until lv40 and still prefer the much more straightforward life of RA

Triple_S
Sep 22, 2012, 02:16 AM
Gunner is far, FAR more entertaining than Ranger. Ranger was fun at first but then it just got so boring...

Gunner has all the involvement of playing a melee class, plus the flexibility of range. It's great! I also love some of the PA combos I can pull off on mobs that don't get instagibbed by {LABEL_PA}. Had some fun with a booster Garongo. Kicked in the air with a charged Aerial Shooting, chain into Satellite Aim (both shots hit) knocking them even higher, then kick them down and mash the PA button for massive damage and lockdown from Bullet Squall. Usually during the first Bullet Squall I'll swap to a palette that has all Bullet Squall just in case the first doesn't kill.

Another fun combo is uncharged Aerial Shooting into Reverse Tap and then finish with Dead Approach. Dead Approach into Reverse Tap is also awesome, but only works from a good wall bounce. Really though, Aerial Shooting is so useful. It's a decent movement PA, it sets you up to get a boost from one of your skills (should you choose to get it of course), and it's so good for setting up PA combos.

...The only Gunner PA I don't care for is Messiah Time. I'm sure it's a great boss killer, but I just don't like how slow it is. I prefer flipping around and doing crazy shit.

Enforcer MKV
Sep 22, 2012, 02:51 AM
Ranger is more fun for me, definitely.

All of Gunner's PAs either disappointed or frustrated the hell out of me, and for it being played up as a mobile fighter, I find myself moving around much more as a RA. Your normal attack roots you to the ground, and the majority of your PA's lean more on melee and acrobatics than actual shooting.

Frankly, as has been alluded to in previous posts, I think your appreciation for the class depends on your appreciation of the bullet-time styling. Do you like Matrix like flips and acrobatics? If so, you may find a great deal of pleasure in Gunner. If not, I doubt it'll be your thing.

In the end, I'd say try both regardless. That's the best and most definitive way to know if you'll like it.

Dinosaur
Sep 22, 2012, 03:04 AM
GU is way more fun for sure. Twin Mechgun plays like a melee class and melee is naturally more engaging in combat.

MissMalice
Sep 22, 2012, 03:22 AM
I'm gonna have to say that Gunner is the most fun for me to play.

Both Rangers and Gunners are pretty efficient in parties, but when it comes to soloing bosses, I find that I struggle with Gunner. Its pretty much because Chain Trigger relies on you constantly hitting the target. And as we all know, bosses don't just sit there and look pretty for you. If the boss suddenly flips around and you can't hit your target, the CT collapses and you have to try again after the cooldown. Granted if the skill is high level, your cooldown isn't that big of a deal, but its still frustrating in a solo situation. That said, Gunners and Chain Trigger don't replace Rangers and Weak Bullet.

However, what I will say about Gunner is that its a really nice change of pace. I found myself up close and personal with my enemies as a Ranger anyways [unless it was a boss], so switching over to the primarily-close-ranged Gunner was an easy transition for me~ The slow-mo actions from the trailer are what reeled me in, but I find now that those are the actions I really use the least. I can't really say that I do more damage overall with either class, but rather I dish out the same amount of damage in a different manner. With parties, Gunner is pretty nice, especially with Chain Trigger. In a group environment, Gunners shine more as a team player, rather than the lone Ranger that steals the show both alone or in a group~ Not that there's anything wrong with that! Like I said, Gunners don't replace Rangers.

Anywho, I personally love Gunners. The slow-mo thing isn't really all the needed, no does it makes sense. But its funny and cool to joke around with! I also can't forsake Rangers. They're only slightly better overall because its much easier to solo bosses as a Ranger.

tl;dr:
Gunners = Rangers with parties
Gunners = Rangers when soloing
Rangers > Gunners when soloing bosses
Gunners more fun/stylish
Rangers more efficient overall

http://cmashoc.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/twocents1.png

Shou
Sep 22, 2012, 03:43 AM
I think gunner is given more credit that it deserves. Launchers do so much more DPS than mechguns. Gunner seems like a gimmick class to me. This has nothing to do with how fun the class is to play.

Sirius-91
Sep 22, 2012, 04:20 AM
As I have said to my guildmates, RA and GU are extremely different. One focuses on fast paced close combat, another focuses on the range part. You either love Gunner or don't.

I do want to see more RA's than Gunner, PSE bursts aren't the same without them.

Husq
Sep 22, 2012, 05:04 AM
I am going to say RA is more fun to play, only because I think they are a bit different to other classes. GU is really basically the same as playing fighter or hunter. If you already are familiar with those two classes, GU doesn't actually provides anything new.

jooozek
Sep 22, 2012, 06:42 AM
Unless you like shoting stuff, neither is fun. If you like shoting, though, then go for ranger because gunner has crippled range on the twin mechguns AND you can't move while shoting (lol).

Galax
Sep 22, 2012, 08:56 AM
For those that don't know yet, you can still use rifles on gunner. Happily sporting a Yasminkov 3000R on my pallet alongside my machine guns. That said, it makes this class a Melee/Ranged combo. You can go in with an Aerial Shooting or Dead Approach, reverse tap if you want to, then whip out your rifle and spam Diffuse/Grenade shell while you back up to do it again. If you want to keep using your mechguns, use the first two backflip dodges, then switch to rifle, tps mode, aim a Grenade Shell at the feet of your foes, turn around and run for a little bit. They don't catch up. It's not that large a comedown from ranger - you can't use launchers. Okay, so you lost your huge AoE DPS monster...I recall people saying "BAH RANGER IS BROKEN FIX IT." This is what ranger could have been, and only half it's users seem to be happy with it.

*shakes head* I agree with one of the above statements. You love it or you don't.

EDIT: Oh yeah. I like both pretty equally. It's hard to choose one over the other when they have the difference in equips of Launcher VS Mechguns, which serve different purposes.

Tianren
Sep 22, 2012, 09:12 AM
My two cents to this, and y'all can chew me up for it, but this is truly how I see it. Gunner is the more entertaining class to play as simply because you are constantly up in enemies faces, and to boot you get one heck of a dodge with shift (Although I despise the slow motion on the last one.) Whilst on the other hand, Ranger is the same old same old constantly. Spam launchers on trash mobs, spam weak bullet and sneak shot on bosses... That is just so absurdly dull and goes against the entire nature of Rangers ideally being support quite frankly.

Now, on the other hand, Gunners can get some of the highest damage in the game within a single hit, much more so than Rangers. How? Simple, weak bullet with a decent chain. My current highest damage since not many of my team mates play Ranger due to wanting to level advanced classes... Was 11278 at level 22 with a 50 chain on Vardha and Weak Bullet on it, now of course, this is entirely situational, but I believe with a support Ranger, it could be a reality upon many a boss.

TL;DR: Ranger will always be seen as a "DPS" king and much more entertaining to those wanting to see higher numbers consistently whilst Gunners are entertaining to watch and play as, especially with the proper team setup.

methaniel
Sep 22, 2012, 09:22 AM
I will say Gunner as well just for one thing, the Shift key. My playstyle as a Ranger or a Gunner doesn't differ that much, as I was always running close to the ennemy then running around it with my rifle using Sneak Shooter all the time (hence rooting myself close to the ennemy). With the Gunner I do the same except I'm even more rooted, so the Shift key has been a lifesaver so far...see an attack coming? Jump to the side while shooting.

Gunners only lack AoE for PSE Burst times (you feel like you don't help in anyway..., even with dashing everywhere...), and I find the boss a bit harder as well now that I've lost my WB (but Chain Trigger still is nice, the only boss I find it a pain to use on are the panthers and tranmizer)

Galax
Sep 22, 2012, 09:34 AM
Methaniel, you can use Chain Trigger with a rifle. Know how when you switch to Launcher on RA, your WB becomes grayed out?

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae266/Galax_PSO/pso20120922_103147_000_zpsb491f496.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

valmont
Sep 22, 2012, 09:40 AM
yeah.. pretty much is..
gunner is funner,
but ranger is more effective..
just hoping the new twin mekgun PAs will have a good AoE for clearing mobs..

Moocast
Sep 22, 2012, 09:53 AM
RA for me! I enjoy gunner as a class but ironically I find myself much more mobile using a launcher between Rodeo Drive and Zero Distance. I almost feel like gunner feels slower paced compared to my set up on my ranger. Maybe it's just the bullet time dodging or what have you.

Kirschwasser
Sep 22, 2012, 11:58 AM
Fun is a matter of opinion.

Geistritter
Sep 22, 2012, 12:20 PM
I personally never got bored of Ranger; it was just my first class to hit the level cap, and thus the only one I didn't want to play anymore out of a lack of progress. I found I missed it when I went back to it to get Gunner, though, especially once I learned I had extra PP due to my unit set because of the update.

Gunner can be entertaining, and Satellite Aim is quite powerful, but it's generally a one trick pony, and even though I don't need a replacement for Weak Shot, I absolutely hate Chain Trigger, and not Step Attack drives me fricking nuts. Ranger's more fleshed out, though its damage ceiling is lower than Gunner's, not counting Weak Shot.

I also miss my Launcher a lot. I'm sorry, baby - it wasn't you, it was me.

njdss4
Sep 22, 2012, 01:25 PM
Gunner is incredibly inefficient. All of its shots root you, which I find ironic considering it is supposed to be a "mobile" fighter. All of its mechgun PAs have terrible hit paths (other than Dead Approach, I guess) and bad aoe range. Chain Trigger only works with your party and is basically impossible to use on moving targets. On bosses though, you can be as clingy as saran wrap without much fear thanks to the air dodge. For levelling though, I resorted to grenade shell spam (which is 33% wider aoe range than Reverse Tap) with a rifle to keep myself from going sick.

on the other hand, seeing how long I can stay airborne with auto -> auto -> grenade shell after getting some levels in PP Restorate is kind of a fun metagame

tl;dr - GU is great at bosses. For everything else (which is 95% of your time at least) it is all style and no substance.

disclaimer - I never bought into the Matrix shenanigans, but I gave it a chance until lv40 and still prefer the much more straightforward life of RA

Brilliant post. This is exactly how I feel about Gunner and Ranger. Being rooted for basic attacks with mechguns is stupid and dangerous, the PAs mostly require you to be in melee range which is the opposite of what a ranged class should be, the Matrix style moves are flashy yet not very useful, and the mechgun damage is severely lacking when you're not using Chain Trigger.

Ranger may be deemed more "boring", which I still disagree with, but it's undeniably more reliable and efficient damage.

Maximum Burst
Sep 22, 2012, 01:27 PM
I enjoy playing Ranger more. I think twin machine guns' shift action should have been the same as the other guns and the side-jumps replace dive roll. I found it troublesome to be restricted to only a certain chain of PAs. The twin machine gun PAs all have situations where they can be very effective, so I thought it would have been nice to be able to have access to the ones you need like with rifle and launcher.

Galax
Sep 22, 2012, 01:40 PM
Brilliant post. This is exactly how I feel about Gunner and Ranger. Being rooted for basic attacks with mechguns is stupid and dangerous, the PAs mostly require you to be in melee range which is the opposite of what a ranged class should be, the Matrix style moves are flashy yet not very useful, and the mechgun damage is severely lacking when you're not using Chain Trigger.

Ranger may be deemed more "boring", which I still disagree with, but it's undeniably more reliable and efficient damage.

For the slowmo matrix PAs/Dodge, there is seriously nothing saying you have to use Messiah Time or the third dodge...except the insane invincibility framerate that let me slowmo out of a Vol Dragon flamethrower. Gunner is not limited to mechguns, I think I've said that two times already, you can use rifles too - You're not even forced to be rooted. That being said, there are, as stated above, times when the Mechgun takes priority in combat, becoming extremely useful. Satellite Aim, like Aerial Shooting, like Dead Approach, like Reverse Tap, are (imo) clearly NOT meant to be used one at a time. You need to combo them, like you do with ANY weapon. Take Gunslashes for an example - what are you going to do, sit there and spam the basic slashing/shooting? No, you're going to slash slash pa pa slash pa. But what PAs should you use? You find a combo that suits your style, and you use it. I'm personally a fan of full melee combo, triple slash PA, Rage Dance, Thrillsplosion. Could also replace Thrill with Serpent Air.

Now, yes, Gunblades can also be used to spam a single PA (aiming shot, thrillsplosion, rage dance...in fact this works with almost every Gunslash PA afaik) so maybe it's not the best example. What about Rifles and Launchers, then? Going to put Divine Launcher in all three slots? Maybe just put Sneak Shooter everywhere? No, you're not, you're going to find a combination of three that work well together or theme a weapon. That's what you should do with mechguns, because that's how weapons work - I see a lot of complaints about a single PA here and another one there. Don't like that PA? Don't use it, you don't have to. Don't like the slowmo? Don't. Use. It. It's not that hard.

tldr? I see complaints about singular parts of Gunner. When it comes to weapon selection, by all means, go back to Ranger or what have you. When it comes to most everything else....There's a solution built into the class, or just flat-out common sense.

Coatl
Sep 22, 2012, 01:54 PM
When it comes to melee weapons I don't "settle" for 3 PAs.
I put all my PAs in a combination I like, using 2-3 different weapon palletes.
Though Messiah Time sucks so only 5 PAs in Gunners Case. :x

Galax
Sep 22, 2012, 02:42 PM
^I don't use Messiah Time myself, but I can't deny the invincibility frames of the third dodge. I also don't settle for three, I was giving an example.

Dinosaur
Sep 22, 2012, 02:59 PM
I'm reading some reoccurring complaints about Twin Mechgun that seem invalid.

Can't attack while moving/rooted during normal attack
You can attack during shift-dodge.

No step-attack
Aerial Shooting and Dead Approach. Aerial Shooting is even chargeable for crazy damage and leads to a free aerial follow up.

Bullet-time dodge is useless
Tons of invincibility frames for evasive purposes. Shift-dodge can be spammed without ever using the third dodge leading to infinite air time. It also enables Gunner to reach heights that other classes cannot via. Jump > charged Aerial Shooting > triple shift-dodge(Trick Rave aerial guard cancel was taken out).

Low damage
Gunner has the most consistent damage output than any other class in the game due to PP attack restore and a 25PP staple damage PA(Satellite Aim). Gunner's true damage potential is also realized when Gear is full. If you want burst, Chain Trigger is there, too(and you don't need to go out of your way for a 100 chain ender, even a 20 chain ender is fine...)

Poor mob clearing capabilities
This is the only one I can somewhat agree with just because Twin Mechgun doesn't have a giant no-brainer AoE move(reverse tap being the closest thing at 35PP...). However, it can certainly be more consistent than HU or FI due to PP attack restore keeping your PP pool healthy. Once your PP is depleted, you can go for three normal attacks then start your PA string to wipe out an enemy, rinse and repeat.

I don't blame people for these complaints though; Twin Mechguns are a very particular weapon that requires its own unique playstyle.

Galax
Sep 22, 2012, 03:12 PM
Eh, if mob is used as in "a large mob of people (or monsters in PSO2s case)", then no, it's not the weapon of choice. You should probably pull out your Rifle at that point and then use Grenade/Diffuse Shell. If mob as in...monster, then I don't see that being true, but perhaps that's just me.

IHeartRice
Sep 22, 2012, 06:18 PM
It's all a matter of personal preference and/or playstyle...

Prefer to manually align your shots with enemy weak points for amazing damage? Do you also want the ability to support your team with enemy debuffs, traps, and status shots?

You may like Ranger more.

Like a mobile gunfighter similar in vein to Gunslinger from DMC3/DMC4?

You may prefer Gunner.

It also comes down to whether you prefer a Launcher or Twin Mechguns.

Dan Maku
Sep 22, 2012, 06:21 PM
People who think Gunners are stuck when firing need to check and see if their shift key is working properly.

njdss4
Sep 22, 2012, 08:13 PM
For the slowmo matrix PAs/Dodge, there is seriously nothing saying you have to use Messiah Time or the third dodge...except the insane invincibility framerate that let me slowmo out of a Vol Dragon flamethrower. Gunner is not limited to mechguns, I think I've said that two times already, you can use rifles too - You're not even forced to be rooted. That being said, there are, as stated above, times when the Mechgun takes priority in combat, becoming extremely useful. Satellite Aim, like Aerial Shooting, like Dead Approach, like Reverse Tap, are (imo) clearly NOT meant to be used one at a time. You need to combo them, like you do with ANY weapon. Take Gunslashes for an example - what are you going to do, sit there and spam the basic slashing/shooting? No, you're going to slash slash pa pa slash pa. But what PAs should you use? You find a combo that suits your style, and you use it. I'm personally a fan of full melee combo, triple slash PA, Rage Dance, Thrillsplosion. Could also replace Thrill with Serpent Air.

Now, yes, Gunblades can also be used to spam a single PA (aiming shot, thrillsplosion, rage dance...in fact this works with almost every Gunslash PA afaik) so maybe it's not the best example. What about Rifles and Launchers, then? Going to put Divine Launcher in all three slots? Maybe just put Sneak Shooter everywhere? No, you're not, you're going to find a combination of three that work well together or theme a weapon. That's what you should do with mechguns, because that's how weapons work - I see a lot of complaints about a single PA here and another one there. Don't like that PA? Don't use it, you don't have to. Don't like the slowmo? Don't. Use. It. It's not that hard.

tldr? I see complaints about singular parts of Gunner. When it comes to weapon selection, by all means, go back to Ranger or what have you. When it comes to most everything else....There's a solution built into the class, or just flat-out common sense.

If I'm going to use a Rifle, I might as well just play Ranger. I wanted to play Gunner for the mechguns, but I do not enjoy the way they shoot or any of the PAs that were created for them at all. Only having access to a PA because you're at a specific part of a combo is very restrictive, and a big part of why I also don't enjoy the gunslash. Having 3 PAs with Rifle and Launcher is way better because you can use them whenever you want, or even use the same one multiple times in a row.

If I ever play Gunner again (possibly to use as a subclass), I'll be going Rifle only.

gravityvx
Sep 22, 2012, 08:27 PM
I'm only level 21 on my gunner, but I can say for damn sure Gunner is by far the most entertaining class I've played, more so than my hunter, and force. I wouldn't even put my ranger in an entertaining category since all I do is spam my launcher PA while constantly jumping, use the other 2 launcher PA on my menu for giggles nothing more and weak bullet, use my rifle till its over. I mean, that's all I have to do when everything just dies in 2 shots aside from bosses lol Like hunter, gunner may not be the most effective in multiparty, but who cares when it's so damn fun.

valmont
Sep 23, 2012, 05:52 AM
If I ever play Gunner again (possibly to use as a subclass), I'll be going Rifle only.

just play gunner like a melee class..
use weapon action+normal attack to restore your PP and dodging at the same time..
spam PAs all the time..
its a melee class with a gun and a optional ranged weapon.. XD

gigawuts
Sep 23, 2012, 05:55 AM
That's exactly what mechguns are - ranged melee-type weapons.

NJDSS: Play hunter for a while. You dislike the gunslash because it's not actually very good on ranger. Play a proper melee class and you'll see how that system works so nicely when you approach it right.

Coatl
Sep 23, 2012, 05:57 AM
The new Rifle PAs actually look fun/useful.
Having more reasons to have a rifle as GU/RA is always good.

valmont
Sep 23, 2012, 06:23 AM
the sliding one?
yeah, i was like.. "damn this one should be implemented from the start!!"
i think it will benefit Ranger more than Gunner..
Gunner have so many cool moves to begin with.. XD

Grifs Astoni
Sep 23, 2012, 12:03 PM
I still prefer RA in terms of lethal efficiency, but I find GU to be more entertaining than its root class.

Also, something tells me that GU and RA complement each other for some reason. Either way I'd just prefer to have a gunner with me, rather than a ranger as long as I'm the latter, and vice versa.

Geistritter
Sep 23, 2012, 02:30 PM
You dislike the gunslash because it's not actually very good on ranger.

gunslash

not very good

ranger

Heresy! Thrillsplosion's freaking great. On Ranger, I tend to use it most on robots because of their small weak points stationed on top of themselves (a small jump will let you easily hit it with Thrillsplosion), and stick to Launchers otherwise, but it's still a great area attack that can and will one-shot any grunt in the game, and you don't even have to supplement your R-Atk that much to do it. My only complaint with it is that sometimes it inexplicably only hits once every now and again.

Yes, I talk about Thrillsplosion all the time, but seriously, it's that good. I even use it on Hunter for Vol Dragon's tail because I can't think of a better option to reliably account for it moving around all the time, and Fury Stance helps a bit to make up the slack for you using a Shooting attack on a Hunter.

Gunslashes aren't very good if you don't use them, sure, and it's only got two good PAs, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to like here. Even that lame shooting mode does some decent damage as you get higher in levels, and it fills PP really quickly.

valmont
Sep 23, 2012, 02:44 PM
i prefer cluster bullet PA than thrillplosion.. XD
but if youre a hunter, i guess it cant be helped..

gigawuts
Sep 23, 2012, 02:50 PM
Heresy! Thrillsplosion's freaking great. On Ranger, I tend to use it most on robots because of their small weak points stationed on top of themselves (a small jump will let you easily hit it with Thrillsplosion), and stick to Launchers otherwise, but it's still a great area attack that can and will one-shot any grunt in the game, and you don't even have to supplement your R-Atk that much to do it. My only complaint with it is that sometimes it inexplicably only hits once every now and again.

Yes, I talk about Thrillsplosion all the time, but seriously, it's that good. I even use it on Hunter for Vol Dragon's tail because I can't think of a better option to reliably account for it moving around all the time, and Fury Stance helps a bit to make up the slack for you using a Shooting attack on a Hunter.

Gunslashes aren't very good if you don't use them, sure, and it's only got two good PAs, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to like here. Even that lame shooting mode does some decent damage as you get higher in levels, and it fills PP really quickly.

I use thrillsplosion on my hunter all the time. Line it up for 2+ headshots and watch the 2-300's fly.

Lumpen Thingy
Sep 23, 2012, 03:53 PM
Well I love using the mech guns but also love the rifle and gunblade damage on ranger so I guess I enjoy both?

Galax
Sep 23, 2012, 07:48 PM
I use thrillsplosion on my hunter all the time. Line it up for 2+ headshots and watch the 2-300's fly.

And since, if I recall, it's based on R-Atk isn't it?
That means Ranger does it better than Hunter.
Which means you kind of just invalidated your own statement.

iTz PooKiie xx
Sep 23, 2012, 07:55 PM
Gunner is fun but, If you wanna kill things more efficiently(higher dps) and be useful to your party/mpa ...Ranger.

JeyKama
Sep 23, 2012, 08:19 PM
People who think Gunners are stuck when firing need to check and see if their shift key is working properly.

Last I checked, shooting during the shift-jump was pretty weak, doesn't JA, and obviously you can't PA during it, and all the PAs are on durasteel animation rails.

Attack animations on rails withpicky hitboxes are for 2D games where you don't have to guesstimate depth.

Back to my RA anyway, and it's like a breath of fresh air after all that GU self-hate. That was as bad as levelling FO to 40 :p

Lostbob117
Sep 23, 2012, 08:27 PM
They are kinda the same thing but, instead of rockets you get twin mechguns.

NoiseHERO
Sep 23, 2012, 08:50 PM
I dunno mechguns and launcher are both more fun than rifle...

But only launcher because of rodeo dive.

Galax
Sep 23, 2012, 09:35 PM
^You seriously just named my most used PA - I rode my launcher to travel, then circled mobs with a Rifle until they died, pulling out my launcher only to take out large groups when soloing.

Even then, I try to mop them up with Grenade/Diffuse shell before jumping up and down like a rabbit with a gun.

NoiseHERO
Sep 23, 2012, 10:09 PM
I just like spamming rodeo dive and... "Zero Distance" was the "melee" one?

So it's less like I'm just sitting there blasting, and more like I'm fighting with a cool weird weapon.

Because Anime.

Kirschwasser
Sep 25, 2012, 04:07 AM
Last I checked, shooting during the shift-jump was pretty weak, doesn't JA, and obviously you can't PA during it, and all the PAs are on durasteel animation rails.

Attack animations on rails withpicky hitboxes are for 2D games where you don't have to guesstimate depth.

Back to my RA anyway, and it's like a breath of fresh air after all that GU self-hate. That was as bad as levelling FO to 40 :p

The only PAs that I can't interrupt as a Gunner are Satellite Aim and Dead Approach. Everything else can be shift-jumped out of with the exception of Messiah Time's dive.

Got used to picky hit boxes trying to land PAs like Cruel Throw and various Wired Lance skills. Personally I thought 20-HU and RA would be a better class requirement for GU considering the proper timing for a shift-jump is fairly close (if not identical) to a Just Guard.

gigawuts
Sep 25, 2012, 04:31 AM
I'm playing gunner now.

Oh, oh wow. What an amazing class. This is what I wanted ranger to be in the first place.

And since, if I recall, it's based on R-Atk isn't it?
That means Ranger does it better than Hunter.
Which means you kind of just invalidated your own statement.

What makes the gunslash better on hunter is not its damage, not strictly speaking that is. It has superior invincibility frames when dodging, which is a part of a hunter's standard attack patterns due to step attack. Step attack is better at closing distance and stumbling enemies than anything the ranger has to offer with the gunslash out, and allows the first PA to be JA'd with ease and convenience. It also has better damage in doing so with all but the two exclusively ranged PA's, and due to JA Bonus the lower r-atk is less of an issue whether you hit the head or not with thrillsplosion. Not to forget fury stance, which benefits both r-atk and s-atk, as if specifically tailored with this weapon in mind.

The gunslash on the hunter and the gunslash on the ranger are two radically different weapons with different pacings, strengths, and applications. edit: Not to say it doesn't have its uses on ranger, or even force, just that hunter best complements the gunslash in general. This is largely due to the gunslash's close range nature, and, well, hunter being a close range class. Fighter complements it even better, especially with thrillsplosion, due to the fighter's stances benefiting damage far more than the hunter's fury stance.

Galax
Sep 25, 2012, 05:59 AM
Ah, I see what you meant. Thank you for clarifying~

As to the invincibility frames you gain with a Gunslash on Hunter, however, from what I've gathered Fighter (with daggers) and Gunner (with mechguns) lead the boards in invincibility frames. If hunter's step (attack) is allowing you through the Vol Fireball like I've done with back/sideflips and like a teammate of mine has managed with daggers...there's your triple leader setup for just laughing at mobs as they try to hit you.