PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 TGS hands on impressions. Vita/Smartphone version + Ruins boss fight

Keii
Sep 22, 2012, 12:45 PM
TGS Impressions~!

Vita version

The lack of anti-aliasing is visible and sadly there are still pretty big slowdowns sometimes. Overall, the game runs much better than I expected it too, but still needs polish to become a truly enjoyable experience.
Accessing the subpalete via the touchscreen is welcomed feature, but it seems you're able to use items by pressing the buttons as well.
One thing that I really didn't like, was that the confirmation button is the same as the one responsible for picking items. During the short talk I had with Sakai-san I addressed this concern, but was told it works the same as in the PSP1/2(i), meaning that holding the button lets you pick up items.
I still have mixed feelings about the Vita version, mainly because of the mentioned slowdowns, but I understand that it's a work in progress and hope that those issues will be resolved. On the other hand, the game isn't much of a looker either - a bit too pixelated for my tastes.
Despite all that, I'm still hyped for this version and hope all is well in time for the release.

Smartphone version

The system details are explained in the article on Bumped. As for the gameplay itself, fights are rather easy if you know what you're doing - few hits and the enemies are down.
You can use Photon Arts and chain them with normal attacks, dodging requires appropriate timing although it's rather forgiving.
It's also possible to summon your allies, but I totally forgot about that while playing and haven't used that feature even once.
Will download day 1 but probably won't play it at home where I have access to the much superior PC (Vita) versions. Production values are definitely there though, so don't worry for it to be some kind of a cheap tie-in.

New field and boss

I like the look of the ruins but as for the boss... The fight was really hard, but that's to be expected when playing with randoms - when we had a minute left and I tried to do a triple mag attack, no one joined me, despite everyone having their bars fool. It certainly isn't a easy fight though, since there are no easily reachable by everyone weak spots (or at least I didn't notice any) and it hits quite hard.
What I really liked was the size - this new baddie is definitely bigger than all the previous bosses, at least while standing.
All in all, I can't wait for the new field update!

Other stuff

When I was leaving TGS I stumbled across Sakai-san, took a picture with him and talked for a bit. Most importantly, I've asked him about Phantasy Star Portable 1/2/2i not being on the Vita. Sadly, because making the PSP series playable on the Vita would be a really hard thing to do, it probably won't happen. Don't keep your fingers crossed I guess.

If you have any questions, post them here. :)

Ezodagrom
Sep 22, 2012, 01:25 PM
The lack of aliasing is visible
Just a really small note, you probably meant lack of anti-aliasing, lack of aliasing would mean that it looks smooth, that it doesn't look jaggy. ^^;

Anyway, nice hands on impressions, thank you for sharing them here.

Keii
Sep 22, 2012, 01:42 PM
Just a really small note, you probably meant lack of anti-aliasing, lack of aliasing would mean that it looks smooth, that it doesn't look jaggy. ^^;

Anyway, nice hands on impressions, thank you for sharing them here.
Ha ha, you're right. Fixed.

Quatre52
Sep 22, 2012, 02:18 PM
Should have asked him to kill GG >.>

Blizz3112
Sep 28, 2012, 12:04 PM
The Smartphone version is made for the casual gamers, so its obvious why it is easier than the real thing... ;-)

Arika
Sep 28, 2012, 12:59 PM
Should have asked him to kill GG >.>

tell him please that GG cause so much trouble. Probably it cost more trouble to legit players rather than hacker who bypassed them anyway. Could you use something else for security purpose?

And if you could ask another question. Since he would see you as a foreigner there anyway, can you ask him what does he think/plan of foreigner that playing in PSO2 atm ?

thank you very much.

eharima
Sep 28, 2012, 02:35 PM
PICTURES

Squire Grooktook
Sep 28, 2012, 02:46 PM
Nice to hear that the boss is cool and hard. How much time did you get to explore the field itself though? Were there any new gimmicks in it so far?

methaniel
Sep 29, 2012, 06:59 AM
Nice to hear that the boss is cool and hard. How much time did you get to explore the field itself though? Were there any new gimmicks in it so far?

The new field was just a small map, not randomised. It was just a + form, like you start at the south and the boss room is at the north. As for myself, we had no luck since only a single ennemy popped up. It seems there was an interrupt event involving killing darkers...but it never popped up for us so we had to go to the boss. By the way, unable to defeat it, but it's also because some people weren't used to the class assigned, our gunner was awful, and also because weapons and such weren't quite powerful. I'm wondering how well this boss will do against players who reached level cap with weapons and armors all at +10 with souls and ***III. But all in all a really fun boss!

Squire Grooktook
Sep 29, 2012, 02:24 PM
Cool. That leaves me with hope, since I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that the "darker world" shown is actually a part of this field.

If they went with some kind of legend of zelda style light/dark world set up, that would make me SO HAPPY.

lunarsoul
Oct 1, 2012, 12:36 PM
Just wondering what the new area enemies/boss is weak to? Light? Dark? Fire? None?