PDA

View Full Version : Team Content is making me hate every team in this game.

Conspire
Sep 23, 2012, 02:45 PM
I'm kind of disappointed.

I really like the concept of teams, and I like having people around to party with. But the sheer level of desperation in recruiting that I'm starting to see is just turning me off this aspect of the game.

This week, I fielded at least a dozen random team invites from people who had never talked to me - or worse, who I had never seen before, even. I finally gave into a team who went just one step further than the rest - they actually talked to me before sending me the invite. Derp.

Overall, while they were generally fairly nice, decent people (with a few exceptions of course, but that's to be expected of any large team that doesn't discriminate very well in its member selection, especially if they brought me in hahaha I am not kidding), the desperate recruiting behaviour is really getting on my case. The manager keeps whispering every unaffiliated player and begging every member to invite their friends. Today, she tried to co-erce a player who rabidly hates another member and who would only cause drama to join the team, and began inviting people who don't even speak English. They've made it quite clear the reason they're doing this is to have more people running the COs so they can get their team features faster.

I've called them out on this, but they just call me hypocritical because "team benefits are for the benefit of the team, not just individuals." But at the same time, I can't help but feel that I was invited only because they wanted me to run quests for them to get a spiffy room faster.

So what's now? I have to admit that I can see where the mentality comes from. I too, want the benefits that come from being a team - team room, proton tree, and so forth. But at this point, I'm really debating whether it's worth it or not. Teams feel highly commercialized to me at this point, and maybe that's not what I want. Maybe it'd be better off if I went back to being unaffiliated?

gigawuts
Sep 23, 2012, 02:49 PM
It's the nature of the beast.

I'm hoping I can do at least some team orders solo, in my own team. I'm really not interested in most other teams.

Rika-chan
Sep 23, 2012, 02:50 PM
Not really on topic, but it's photon tree, not proton tree XD

Conspire
Sep 23, 2012, 02:53 PM
Regardless if I call it a "photon tree" or a "proton tree", I get corrected by someone thinking it's the other way around. I've given up.

gigawuts
Sep 23, 2012, 02:55 PM
Yeah it's photon tree. Not much is called proton in this game, it's another pointer at the "ph" in Phantasy.

Don't worry, it's a silly difference anyway.

jooozek
Sep 23, 2012, 02:56 PM
Photon Tree is the only real reason why I would want to join a Team but the english playerbase isn't big enough to warrant a Team that could survive while being active all the time and stuff so I guess I'll have to pass sadly on this team content (team storage is apparently lol premium so yeah).

Geistritter
Sep 23, 2012, 03:00 PM
I'm surprised this is a problem. Annoying that it's become an issue, though.

That said, I have my own team with the couple of people I play with, and have no will for anything else. The blacklist is coming out if anyone attempts to "convert" me, though, but since I avoid populated blocks I likely won't have to put up with much of that.

Kenbog
Sep 23, 2012, 03:09 PM
Every single mmorpg with team or guild systems is this way tho...
most people who creates teams wants quantity of members they don't care about everything else.

Galerianx
Sep 23, 2012, 03:11 PM
join my team AionicRush ship 2 am always in block 20 if you wanna join me feel free to pm me ID is iloveyou lol

jooozek
Sep 23, 2012, 03:15 PM
join my team AionicRush ship 2 am always in block 20 if you wanna join me feel free to pm me ID is iloveyou lol

Damn, why would a spammer like you make a coming out? :clown:

Galerianx
Sep 23, 2012, 03:17 PM
spammer LOL dam it goes back in to hiding joke!!!

Conspire
Sep 23, 2012, 03:19 PM

pls go away ok

NoiseHERO
Sep 23, 2012, 03:19 PM
lolteams

I just use my team as a "we're too cool for teams so cool ppl onry" team.

will like having a free room though.

Galerianx
Sep 23, 2012, 03:20 PM
pls go away ok

ooo its you Conspire but na am not going away free forums derp

DS23
Sep 23, 2012, 03:26 PM
lolteams

I just use my team as a "we're too cool for teams so cool ppl onry" team.

will like having a free room though.

Team I'm on has like 10 people on it - I declared that we're not unpopular/small and that our appeal is selective like Spinal Tap. 8-) Only spam I've ever seen is somebody soliciting currently unteamed casts for their crew on block 20.

BIG OLAF
Sep 23, 2012, 03:31 PM
This week, I fielded at least a dozen random team invites from people who had never talked to me - or worse, who I had never seen before, even..

Huh, I don't think that's a common thing, though. I've not seen nor heard anyone else complain of random creepy team invites, though I have had one myself (declined it, since I'm already in an awesome team). Hopefully the random recruiting and invite spamming doesn't become an epidemic, though.

Maronji
Sep 23, 2012, 03:37 PM
This week, I fielded at least a dozen random team invites from people who had never talked to me - or worse, who I had never seen before, even.

I know that feel, man. I've had this happen to me in half of the online games I've ever played. I swear, it's like people are just after you for the benefits and stuff with how they just do that out of the blue. Makes me wonder why--

*looks at OP's latest post*

Uhh... I think I made my point... *slowly backs away toward the door*

Jakosifer
Sep 23, 2012, 03:40 PM
My team functions as a chatroom, thats it.

NoiseHERO
Sep 23, 2012, 03:45 PM
My team functions as a chatroom, thats it.

What about your non-regular team? D:

Cyron Tanryoku
Sep 23, 2012, 03:46 PM
It's great to know that none of this ever happens to me

blace
Sep 23, 2012, 03:56 PM
On my fighter, I'm generally ignored, but when I'm on my ranger shit happens, and invites galore.

Dan Maku
Sep 23, 2012, 03:57 PM
I'm surprised this is a problem. Annoying that it's become an issue, though.

That said, I have my own team with the couple of people I play with, and have no will for anything else. The blacklist is coming out if anyone attempts to "convert" me, though, but since I avoid populated blocks I likely won't have to put up with much of that.

Agree'd. My team has a grand total of six people in it, all of whom (except one whose waiting for the English version) I play with on a regular basis. I'm willing to take my time in getting team benefits.

Jakosifer
Sep 23, 2012, 03:59 PM
What about your non-regular team? D:

Far better when I actually want to get something done and not spend hours on end wisecracking or waifu hunting like the kyaahentai that I actually am.

Daemyn
Sep 23, 2012, 04:28 PM
I'm glad I made my own test team a long time ago .___. which just includes me and ... me So I can hide from this stuff. for now anyways :C

Dragonlily
Sep 23, 2012, 04:37 PM
I've always found large teams/guilds/legions to be less helpful than smaller ones. Usually out for themselves. Long time ago I decided to just run my own and have only friends and family in it. Tho smaller we can usually do more than even the bigger ones.

I've seen plenty of recruiters trying to get more people. In the lobby and sometimes in whatever run we're in. But from what I've seen they haven't spammed one announcement after another. So that's decent at least.

AzureBlaze
Sep 23, 2012, 04:40 PM
So can you be on a team by yourself?
Can you grow the tree with just 1 person, get the team room, and then put furniture in it because it's free? What if you never invite anyone else--does it shut itself down because the game thinks you are 'unpopular'?

I have no desire to join some rubbish team and be pushed around by humans. I also have no desire to work on quests and things so some 'team king' or leader or whatever can then run off with the magic prizes or w/e benefit its going to let out.

Can you be on more than 1 team?

Future Speculation Question that likely has no answer now:
Is it going to make it so that teamless people are worthless nobodys who get nothing?
Like, if you don't join a team, nobody will EVER play with you and all games are teamlocked?

I've always been iffy on the concept of teams. Hopefully it ends up as a positive thing that can change my opinion.

Squire Grooktook
Sep 23, 2012, 04:42 PM
Also I missed, what does photon tree actually do?

Saffran
Sep 23, 2012, 04:48 PM
I suppose that it will grow fruits which will give you bonus. Kinda like the cakes of the 3 sisters.

jooozek
Sep 23, 2012, 04:49 PM
Also I missed, what does photon tree actually do?

Rare drop rates up, PSE activation rate up, PSE time extension

So as you see, seriously desirable stuff.

Here is a screenshot from bumped:

http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Photon-Tree.jpg

And here is a translation of those buffs from someone from the comments:

1) Attack up
2) Defense up
3) Experience gain up
4) Meseta gain up
5) Drop rate up
6) PSE activation up
7) PSE time extended"

NoiseHERO
Sep 23, 2012, 04:53 PM
Far better when I actually want to get something done and not spend hours on end wisecracking or waifu hunting like the kyaahentai that I actually am.

So then we regular team better at everything else!

EvilMag
Sep 23, 2012, 04:58 PM
My teams too busy taking over Radio Towers, do I get team points for that?

Shadowth117
Sep 23, 2012, 06:58 PM
My teams too busy taking over Radio Towers, do I get team points for that?

That depends, can I be the fake director? :P

Laxedrane
Sep 23, 2012, 07:20 PM
Huh, I don't think that's a common thing, though. I've not seen nor heard anyone else complain of random creepy team invites, though I have had one myself (declined it, since I'm already in an awesome team). Hopefully the random recruiting and invite spamming doesn't become an epidemic, though.

I had this one guy join my party. Asked where I lived and what language I prefer. Then asked me to join his team. While he proceeded to auto follow me around occasionally taking the time to actually do something more productive then his npcs. In, a, MPA.

After he gave me the worse bad vibe I have had in awhile. I just quit the game and took a break for a few hours. Since then I always like my party.

JeyKama
Sep 23, 2012, 07:56 PM
Like it or not, PSO2's a multiplayer game. Guilds, clans, linkshells, teams, squads, are all natural extensions of multiplayer. When there are actual in-game benefits to being in a "guild", naturally there will be some who will exploit others to get their benefits faster. On the other hand, unless they kick you out afterwards, you gain those benefits too, unless the team chat is unignorable.

The best way to protect yourself from those arseholes, yet still reaping some benefits of being nominally social? 1) Ask a friend if they have a team, and if it doesn't suck, ask to join it. 2) If your friends don't have a team, make one together.

If you don't have friends... just make a team solo. Or stay tagless. The benefits will most likely remain somewhat minor anyway.

EvilMag
Sep 23, 2012, 08:00 PM
That depends, can I be the fake director? :P

Unless you like having 6 Koffings that will do nothing but explode.

moorebounce
Sep 23, 2012, 09:24 PM
My problem with teams are as soon as I join them the team is never on after that. I've been on 3 or 4 teams and it's the same thing. lol it's almost like couples who been with each other for years and had kids but never married but as soon as they do the relationship goes down hill from there. It's fine as long as we're friends but once you take that next step it's doomed.

I haven't really had people trying to recruit me although I don't really spend time in the lobbies more than I really have to. If I could I would stay in my room or campship. If they ever put gacha machines in the rooms and/or campships you'll never see me. lol

Darki
Sep 23, 2012, 09:31 PM
You mean the machines for the FUN and AC gacha that are behind Doodoo's shop and stuff? You can access those though your menu without any machine. Just sayin'. <_<

My team is nice enough. I guess the best situation is when you had one before this was even announced so they didn't pick you for convenience reasons.

Amaranthus
Sep 23, 2012, 10:58 PM
Ewe that sucks. Teams are supposed to have fun together, but also give you space whenever you want to mind your own business. I say the one you joined sucks. Teams like that do not care whether the people they invite comes and go. They invite people into the team so easily with no single attachment to a member or whatsoever therefore those people would leave it easily as well.

Takatsuki
Sep 23, 2012, 11:05 PM
I dunno about you guys, but the team I'm in has 50+ people and most of them are pretty active (there's only maybe 4 or 5 that I never see pop up in the team chat) and as far as I know, there's never been any mass recruiting crap, just friends inviting friends inviting friends.

You need help with a mission, 90% of the time at least 1 person will be around to help you out. We've got casual players and we've got serious players who must have the best equipment at all times, and the only time I've ever seen any sort of "drama" is the one time where someone restarted a City mission before everyone had collected the loot after a Burst.

(And *I* was the one that got all angry, admittedly.)

Griffin
Sep 24, 2012, 12:02 AM
I see no point in Teams except a circle of friendship.

Coatl
Sep 24, 2012, 12:35 AM
My team only has room for love and booze.
I can foresee elitist guilds rising, but it happens in every MMO. It's unavoidable.
I've already been in this cycle. You get caught up trying to have the best gear and being in the best guild, that you diminish your enjoyment of the game.

Lumpen Thingy
Sep 24, 2012, 05:26 AM
I think you're in a fine team but I guess might as well bitch about it right?

Edit:well seems you're off the team well have fun on ship 10 child

Mike
Sep 24, 2012, 05:32 AM
I can foresee elitist guilds rising, but it happens in every MMO. It's unavoidable.
Since team rankings will exist, this is something I guarantee.

Dextro
Sep 24, 2012, 05:54 AM
I see no point in Teams except a circle of friendship.

Pretty much...
My team just started off as the closest people in my friend's list so that we could chat conveniently in that team channel, then they each invited 1-2 of their closest friends and it just ended up as a little community where everyone knows each other.

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't like those big 50-100member teams.....they have twice as many members but feel twice as empty... like nobody is worth anything and someone logging on is just another random +1 to the online member count.

Enforcer MKV
Sep 24, 2012, 10:24 AM
You mean the machines for the FUN and AC gacha that are behind Doodoo's shop and stuff? You can access those though your menu without any machine. Just sayin'. <_<

My team is nice enough. I guess the best situation is when you had one before this was even announced so they didn't pick you for convenience reasons.

What the peanut gallery captain said. The team we're in isn't horrible. Biggest problem I'd say we have is when someone asks for help, instead of at least saying "no, sorry," If they won't or can't help, they won't say anything.

Though, that's a universal problem apparently; I hear that about a lot of groups.

I, personally, won't be taking part in team rankings. I'll help out with the tree, sure, but the second you try and throw me into competitive game modes? Lol, no.

Mike
Sep 24, 2012, 08:16 PM
I, personally, won't be taking part in team rankings. I'll help out with the tree, sure, but the second you try and throw me into competitive game modes? Lol, no.
Well, I don't think you have a choice really. The current ranking entries for teams are rare weapons and team points. You need team points to improve your team room & photon tree so you'll be participating as long as you're in a team.

LeoSan
Sep 24, 2012, 10:00 PM
wow I'm glad I'm not in ship 2. this doesn't happen in my ship, at all.

jooozek
Sep 24, 2012, 10:04 PM

When you create your own fake team it doesn't happen on ship 2 either. 8-)

LeoSan
Sep 24, 2012, 10:08 PM
When you create your own fake team it doesn't happen on ship 2 either. 8-)

I wonder what kind of ship distribution will go on when the game moves to the west.
I really don't want to be stuck with meme spouting team spamming douchebags.

BIG OLAF
Sep 24, 2012, 10:32 PM

I really don't want to be stuck with meme spouting team spamming douchebags.

Honestly, I don't really see that stuff happen anymore. There's a few inconsiderate pricks that float around Block 20 (which, quite contrary to what appears to be popular belief, is not all of Ship 2, mmkay?) from time to time, but not nearly as much as there was a couple of months ago. It's usually quiet except for two, or maybe three groups of people sitting around having decent conversation.

Mystil
Sep 25, 2012, 10:49 AM
My team is sorta.. segregated. They all do their own thing. Lots of members, many of which you never know is there unless you check to see who's online. I got 1 very good thing out of the team and it is some one pretty important to me. As much as I play, I don't think team points, team CO's etc will be a problem.

There will be a problem if I am pressured to do these things.

drizzle
Sep 25, 2012, 11:59 AM
But at the same time, I can't help but feel that I was invited only because they wanted me to run quests for them to get a spiffy room faster.

Spoilers: You were.

But who knows, you might make some new friends. Worst case scenario is you getting booted as soon as they get their room. But there's always other teams after that ;p

Rootsuki
Sep 25, 2012, 12:02 PM
Hey, Conspire, it's Yukio, we've played a few times, but I do agree with you for the most part. I see that a lot of teams care more for quantity more than quality which is just anoyying, especially when a lot of them don't come on.

It okay to have a good amount of members, but only if you can keep an eye on them and maintain them. My leader never really comes on and i've contemplated on leaving the team, but one of my friends who comes on is the only reason I stay.

I think teams help communication a lot, but a lot of teams really try too hard inviting anyone they can get their hand on.

Good points though.

xMightyMouse
Sep 25, 2012, 02:12 PM
Yeah it's photon tree. Not much is called proton in this game, it's another pointer at the "ph" in Phantasy.

Don't worry, it's a silly difference anyway.

i thought it was called prantasy star online?

HIT0SHI
Sep 25, 2012, 09:09 PM
i thought it was called prantasy star online?

PHANTASY* Star Online

gigawuts
Sep 25, 2012, 09:17 PM
PHANTASHY STAA ONNURINU

TSU

I feel like I want to make a team for people to join who don't want to join a team and casually do team stuff if they want, or don't if they don't want, so we can get at least some benefit, but then I remember that it would defeat the entire purpose of itself.

So instead I'll do stuff alone if it's ever at all possible to do team stuff solo. If it's not possible, I guess I won't do anything then. Oh well.

Enforcer MKV
Sep 25, 2012, 09:26 PM
PHANTASHY STAA ONNURINU

TSU

I feel like I want to make a team for people to join who don't want to join a team and casually do team stuff if they want, or don't if they don't want, so we can get at least some benefit, but then I remember that it would defeat the entire purpose of itself.

So instead I'll do stuff alone if it's ever at all possible to do team stuff solo. If it's not possible, I guess I won't do anything then. Oh well.

You could join my team, then I can casually harass you to do team stuff with me.

I'll be the wise leader, and you can be my fearless minion! IT'LL BE GREAT! :D :D :D

...wait a minute...Claptrap? O.o

Coatl
Sep 25, 2012, 09:27 PM
PHANTASHY STAA ONNURINU

TSU

Or you could try joining a team that doesn't view their members as cattle for team points. Not all of them are bad. :-?
You might even meet some cool people.

Rien
Sep 25, 2012, 10:14 PM
I'd only do team orders if they yield as much exp as Cressida's stuff on it's old 24-hour cooldown...

ShadowDragon28
Sep 25, 2012, 10:24 PM
wrong

It's name in katakana it's phoenetically said as Fantashi Staa On rye-n Tsu"

BIG OLAF
Sep 26, 2012, 12:43 AM

Well, the team I'm in is pretty casual. We mostly just joke around and have fun. Don't run together that often (since there's a large discrepancy between some member's levels), but we're still a pretty close-knit group. There's a few people that don't say much, but they'll open right up and talk if you initiate conversation.

We don't have "recruiting times" though. It's more like someone from our team will just kinda say "hey, can we invite _____ to the team? I know him/her, and s/he's pretty cool" out of the blue. Answer is 'yes' 98% of the time, so yeah.

psoaddct
Sep 26, 2012, 03:32 AM
I love my team, were based on all originals who all have played all the original psos. We do play togther but not as much as we all would like since were from different places. Plus were all english which is a plus. Very little drama and no need to coherse people as we all know enough of our friends who want to join. Yes there is advantages and disadvantages but i do enjoy my team!