PDA

View Full Version : The Fighter class...

FlameOfYagami
Sep 25, 2012, 09:21 PM
What makes this class so good? I'm constantly being told by people that Fighter is a MUCH better class than Hunter.

However I have Fighter at 40 and I wasn't seeing it at all. I gaved all the weapons a fair chance. Got all the gear for em and had one of each on my palette.

Now I like to believe that i'm a very good hunter along with having the best HU equips atm with all of the added customizations and +10 etc etc.

However, with Fighter the class felt really weak to me and fragile. I got it to 40 and it never really impressed me. I didn't bother getting the best eqips for Fighter for the obvious reasons but I did have decent 5* weapons.

For me fighter did not have any boss killing PA's nor did it have any practical PA's for normal use. Most of the PA's are fancy and pretty to look at but nothing practical which is what I care about.

Another thing is that everything felt really weak aside from Knuckles. Double Sabers are fun but seem really week IMO. Plus I hate the fact that you connot dash cancel out of the PA's aswell. So if you are in the middle of a PA and you see something coming your way you just gotta take it =/

Anyway's that's the jist of it. However I am open minded and i'm willing to hear other people's opinions on the matter.

Some "proof" of fighters doing crazy things like vids would be nice too. I wanna see what makes them so great.

CelestialBlade
Sep 25, 2012, 09:23 PM
Someone hasn't tried Deadly Archer or Tornado Dance on Dubs yet.

Aka
Sep 25, 2012, 09:25 PM
I take it you haven't seen the 45 second Quartz Dragon video yet?

FlameOfYagami
Sep 25, 2012, 09:26 PM
Someone hasn't tried Deadly Archer or Tornado Dance on Dubs yet.

I actually have all the PA's for all 3 weapons at lvl 8 atleast. Tried them all. Not impressed one bit. Maybe i'm not using them correctly?

Deadly archer seems powerful, but it's not very practical at all. You ahve to aim it JUST right otherwise it fails.

When as HU can just chill there with my 9* spear and speed rain everything to death in seconds. Now that's practical :)

gigawuts
Sep 25, 2012, 09:28 PM
Then don't play it. Spam speed rain instead.

FlameOfYagami
Sep 25, 2012, 09:28 PM
I take it you haven't seen the 45 second Quartz Dragon video yet?

A link of that would be nice and helpful aswell :)

Just a hint ^^

Coatl
Sep 25, 2012, 09:29 PM
Well I've heard from fighters that double wabers are extremely OP.
I'm not a fighter myself, but I can see the mobility granted by daggers and the crazy burst damage granted by wabers to be extremely refreshing for old Hunters.

Yunfa
Sep 25, 2012, 09:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXVMzWJ8ucs

Coatl
Sep 25, 2012, 09:32 PM
That person probably has some crazy affixes though...
1900k dmg per deadly archer hit is NOT normal. >_>

Udonge
Sep 25, 2012, 09:32 PM
Poison ftw lol

.Jack
Sep 25, 2012, 09:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExNXosHVdQk&feature=plcp

Coatl
Sep 25, 2012, 09:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsch0nWEGZA&list=FL2uIkGENnupiP0-Sh9PXjww&index=5&feature=plpp_video

As you can see...
Double Wabers = OP.

Lostbob117
Sep 25, 2012, 09:38 PM
I was Lv5 and took a rockbear in like 2mins or 3mins oh yeah and he didn't even touch me.

FlameOfYagami
Sep 25, 2012, 09:41 PM
Hmm, I think I know what I need to be spamming against bosses now :)

I would def need a new skill tree though if I want to do similar damage to the vids above.

Sesheenku
Sep 25, 2012, 09:47 PM
@OP

I've been playing for a week and my experience has been totally opposite to yours.

First of with twin daggers alone I can sit above most bosses and tear them apart quickly while taking little to no damage whatsoever. Much quicker than I ever could with Hunter.

I sort of understand what you're getting at with Double sabers but it just takes using tornado dance to get yourself out of sticky situations.

Basically Fighter is a dps class. It requires you to use your pa's effectively and creatively. Daggers? Well you can just juggle an enemy out of reach of the others and Knuckles have the nifty dodge and hit even harder than a sword.

Fighter is a class where you don't sit around and wait, you need to be moving around and looking for your chance to strike, that means learning to dodge and WAIT for a good opening. You COULDN'T do that with Hunter because it's sluggish and that's why Hunter has block and Fighter has no block because it doesn't need a block.

It sounds like you're trying to play Fighter like you would Hunter and that's just not how you do it, evasion and proper PA use is imperative with Fighter whereas Hunter forgive mistakes with high hp and def and their ability to block.

When Fighter is used correctly it can deal devastating damage in far less time than a Hunter can which is the point of Fighter if you don't like Offense>Defense than by all means be a Hunter with Defense>Offense.

I don't know why you're not feeling it but the minute I took up Fighter I could feel it was much more powerful offensively than Fighter HOWEVER it needs to be played differently than Hunter. That means staying on your toes at all times to avoid damage.

I think the issue here is simply that Hunter is more your style. You can be a little lazier with Hunter and not get killed so it's more forgiving of a class. Which to that I say, be a Hunter then if you really don't like Fighter but I'll be the first to assure you Fighter is every bit as good as they say.

Also what Bob said, Rockbear, Vol, and even Dark Ragne are made defenseless to Fighters while we sit above their reach and shred them to pieces without even taking a hit if we play our cards properly!

Crimson Exile
Sep 25, 2012, 09:50 PM
Hmm, I think I know what I need to be spamming against bosses now :)

I would def need a new skill tree though if I want to do similar damage to the vids above.
Well what people aren't showing you is knuckles. They are just as broken as double saber but has a evade move. But most videos you will see double saber though. Twin daggers are really good as well.

FlameOfYagami
Sep 25, 2012, 09:57 PM
@OP

I've been playing for a week and my experience has been totally opposite to yours.

First of with twin daggers alone I can sit above most bosses and tear them apart quickly while taking little to no damage whatsoever. Much quicker than I ever could with Hunter.

I sort of understand what you're getting at with Double sabers but it just takes using tornado dance to get yourself out of sticky situations.

Basically Fighter is a dps class. It requires you to use your pa's effectively and creatively. Daggers? Well you can just juggle an enemy out of reach of the others and Knuckles have the nifty dodge and hit even harder than a sword.

Fighter is a class where you don't sit around and wait, you need to be moving around and looking for your chance to strike, that means learning to dodge and WAIT for a good opening. You COULDN'T do that with Hunter because it's sluggish and that's why Hunter has block and Fighter has no block because it doesn't need a block.

It sounds like you're trying to play Fighter like you would Hunter and that's just not how you do it, evasion and proper PA use is imperative with Fighter whereas Hunter forgive mistakes with high hp and def and their ability to block.

When Fighter is used correctly it can deal devastating damage in far less time than a Hunter can which is the point of Fighter if you don't like Offense>Defense than by all means be a Hunter with Defense>Offense.

I don't know why you're not feeling it but the minute I took up Fighter I could feel it was much more powerful offensively than Fighter HOWEVER it needs to be played differently than Hunter. That means staying on your toes at all times to avoid damage.

I think the issue here is simply that Hunter is more your style. You can be a little lazier with Hunter and not get killed so it's more forgiving of a class. Which to that I say, be a Hunter then if you really don't like Fighter but I'll be the first to assure you Fighter is every bit as good as they say.

Also what Bob said, Rockbear, Vol, and even Dark Ragne are made defenseless to Fighters while we sit above their reach and shred them to pieces without even taking a hit if we play our cards properly!

Ya I can totaly see that now wow.

Yea, now that I look back I did play Fighter like a Hunter so that's why I wasn't getting eth results that I wanted. These vids have deff help me out though ands eeing the crazy potential of Fighter. My mind is totaly changed now. I'm speachless on how crazy double saber is :O

But at teh same time I have a meh feeling because I ruined my skill tree =P

Finalzone
Sep 25, 2012, 10:01 PM
Twin daggers are awesome, its PA allows more possible combos than hunter class and the attack is insanely fast hat Breada, that flying Darker, did not stand a chance and had trouble egging its El Dagans. Like previous posts mentioned, a skilled fighter class can own bosses. Only times I died as fighter is due to my own negligence and carelessness.
Knuckles are basically powered up fist attack.

Coatl
Sep 25, 2012, 10:03 PM
It would be pretty hard to ruin your fighter skill tree, seeing as how there are no real bad skills in the fighter skill tree, just better ones that suit your playstyle.
If you post it on here the fighters could perhaps give you some pointers.

gigawuts
Sep 25, 2012, 10:07 PM
What's your current tree?

The thing with fighter is, it's not its most effective when you spam, spam, spam. In certain cases, such as one-on-one boss fights, spamming deadly archer or tornado dance is the best thing to do, but those aren't the end-all be-all that speed rain is (and I'm thankful for that). It's a thinking class. Due to its close ranges you need to be mobile, and you need to preempt attacks with your own attacks (that don't have long durations) - again, the opposite of speed rain.

Speed rain is essentially everything an attack should not be. It's easy to spam, it's effective at good ranges, it causes stumble with multiple rapid hits, and it penetrates on top of it. It's far too good for the kind of attack it is. The biggest issue with it is that it's just one attack that you can do over and over again to great effect. If you actually work with good combinations of PA's and follow an enemy to apply those PA's, you can have a greater effect overall, but that requires levels of work speed rain simply doesn't. Many players just don't like that, and will always go back to their simple one click attack. That's fine, I won't tell people what to or not to do, but it does irritate me a bit that they act like anything that's any more complex is inherently bad.

Double sabers are extremely effective against all enemies, the issue is knowing how and where to attack (also gear is a must if you're going to main it, the extra damage is excellent). You can be knocked out of most PA's by attacks that cause stumble, so keep that in mind. You'll need to preempt enemies that look like they're ready for an attack. The gear makes that easy for you, just stand next to them when you activate the gear. Very important to note is the gear feeds itself - if you're near 3 or more enemies, activating the gear and killing them is usually enough to refill it completely before they even die. You can even activate the gear again while it's active, but I don't know if that stacks damage, extends duration, or just removes the old whirlwind and starts a new one without any bonuses.

Daggers are very powerful if applied correctly. Raging Waltz is absolutely key here if you want to maintain fluidity. You can home in, home in, home in, home in. I'm also a fan of shoot polka, both on the ground and in midair as a way to apply more damage AND to elevate yourself again. The gear is a MUST for this weapon to see its full effects, like you might expect. You can go from enemy to enemy to enemy, all over the place, using appropriate PA's, juggling them all until they die. Usually double sabers are better for mobs, but daggers have their applications (shield darkers are a good example, a group of close el ardas are also easy to juggle with a well placed shoot polka).

Fists are excellent when you need mobility more than AOE. They hit hard, fast, and have short PA's letting you step attack your way around the area to focus on either individual targets or small hitboxes. Shield darkers for instance, again, are great with fists, since when you're int he back you rarely have to worry about a hitbox colliding with the shield and interrupting your attack. In opposition to the general consensus, I actually find fist gear the least important: Attacks get a slight pause when they hit an enemy anyway. Attack speed gains aren't actually all that noticeable when you're connecting them with enemies. Still, for that 1 SP it's absolutely worth it.

The stances are great as well. Note that stance up is actually more beneficial than the stance itself if you're only spending 15 SP. Also worth noting is that they multiply the multipliers, as opposed to multiplying or adding the percentages themselves, letting brave stance get up to 1.44x damage and wise stance up to 1.69x damage. On weakspots this is tremendous, and combined properly can wreck shit up. The best example of using the "wrong" stance is tranmizer: Since it loves to face you before revealing its weak point, the time spent traveling to the back is effectively lost damage. Using brave stance and the double saber's deadly archer you don't need to go behind the boss at all, just stay in front and sling the PA through him. This has been tested and confirmed to actually work this way - it's based on the direction the enemy is facing and NOT the hitbox you hit. That said, this trick is pretty limited, since not many enemies have weakpoints reachable from the front in this way, and wise stance is the way to go against caterdran's crystal, vol dragon's crystal, etc.

In summary? Don't stand around like you're using speed rain - run up to shit and hit it. Hit it fast, repeatedly, and remember to evade.

Rien
Sep 25, 2012, 10:11 PM
Twin daggers are awesome, its PA allows more possible combos than hunter class and the attack is insanely fast hat Breada, that flying Darker, did not stand a chance and had trouble egging its El Dagans. Like previous posts mentioned, a skilled fighter class can own bosses. Only times I died as fighter is due to my own negligence and carelessness.
Knuckles are basically powered up fist attack.

If there's too many Breeada's around you can even pull a fast one and kill all the eggs before they even touch the floor.

I'm also surprised no one here has mentioned Twin Dagger's shift-key-180-guard-spin. Just Guard without skillpoints.

Sesheenku
Sep 25, 2012, 10:20 PM
Ya I can totaly see that now wow.

Yea, now that I look back I did play Fighter like a Hunter so that's why I wasn't getting eth results that I wanted. These vids have deff help me out though ands eeing the crazy potential of Fighter. My mind is totaly changed now. I'm speachless on how crazy double saber is :O

But at teh same time I have a meh feeling because I ruined my skill tree =P

Indeed this game has given me new insight, when I started Fighter since Hunter was hard ingrained into me I got hit a LOT but I realized it quite quickly and weeded it out and with a bit of practice started playing differently to be more effective with the new class.

It happens to most everyone probably, all of a sudden you're wondering why you're sucking so badly and then you realize, oh wait I'm playing this the same as I played the last class that can't be right!

Like the rest said it's pretty hard to ruin the fighter tree unless you put 10 on just the first three skills you could XD and even then you still wouldn't be too bad off, this game is less about the moves and passives you have and gear and more about the skill with which you play.

gigawuts
Sep 25, 2012, 10:21 PM
Indeed. That guard/just guard/evasion hybrid on the daggers is so many things in one.

First and most important: It evades.
Second and second most important: It resets your attack combo. Use this for emergency raging waltz homing.
Third: It gives you one bar pip.
Fourth: The daggers actually deal damage to close enemies.
Fifth, but still very important: Between the dagger strikes you have a VERY brief period of guard/just guard. Like just guard, you take zero damage and spend no PP to successfully block. UNLIKE just guard, your guard period is extended so you can guard again (you're actually briefly locked, it's a penalty from regular guard but a wonderful boon here). This allows you to guard against rapid fire attacks that otherwise may have decimated you. It's VERY easy to time. Take quartz dragon's beams: While they always seem to hit me even when I just guard for some bizarre reason, and mis-timing a just guard means doing a regular guard, losing all my PP, and taking a bunch of hits anyway, none of this is an issue with dagger twirl. You activate it, and you're invulnerable during the downpour until you start guarding - which extends your invulnerability until the lasers stop.

What a wonderful function to put on a weapon. And on top of that, since you're always so high in the air, you avoid most ground attacks to boot. Not to mention that now melee users can hit high up or fast moving targets with absolute ease and precision, such as quartz dragon wings, wynderas that dodge rising edge, and big varda's rocket pods, without needing to resort to the comparably lower damage from gunslash long range attacks.

FlameOfYagami
Sep 25, 2012, 10:32 PM
If I remmeber correctly I maxed out DEF on my Fighter so that I could use my top tier units as quickly as possible since I thought that Fighter was too weak at taking blows I wanted some quick protection. I think I gaved too much to power aswell =/

I really wish that when sub classes come out Sega is kind enough to reset everyones skill trees. But that's just wishful thinking...

"What a wonderful function to put on a weapon. And on top of that, since you're always so high in the air, you avoid most ground attacks to boot. Not to mention that now hunters can hit high up or fast moving targets with absolute ease and precision, such as quartz dragon wings, wynderas that dodge rising edge, and big varda's rocket pods, without needing to resort to the comparably lower damage from gunslash long range attacks."

To be fair Gigawuts, Speed Rain can reach those areas too, you just have to know how to possition yourself. Speed Rain works great on those annoying birds, it can easily hit Quartz' wings and you can infact reach the rocket pods on Vardha.

That said i'm not saying it does it better than daggers or that daggers do it better i'm simply saying that you can infact hit those ares with Speed Rain.

Reyva
Sep 25, 2012, 10:35 PM
Fighter is boring until you figure out how to play it along with the new pas. However, still don't like knuckles regardless (mostly due to personal preferences).

And what is not broken in this game? So far, the game has been ez mode for me with any class besides techer because I don't feel like leveling a techer. These videos just proves my point even more. Eh but whatever. Just make some awesome looking cast parts and I'll shattup.

*Prays Very Hard mode is actually Very Hard, but knows it won't be*

Sesheenku
Sep 25, 2012, 10:41 PM
Fighter is boring until you figure out how to play it along with the new pas. However, still don't like knuckles regardless (mostly due to personal preferences).

And what is not broken in this game? So far, the game has been ez mode for me with any class besides techer because I don't feel like leveling a techer. These videos just proves my point even more. Eh but whatever. Just make some awesome looking cast parts and I'll shattup.

*Prays Very Hard mode is actually Very Hard, but knows it won't be*

Nah now it'll just be if you take a single hit you're done lol which is not fun, it just requires you to run around and kill things slower because you're just trying to avoid being hit MORE intelligent AI is fun but ah well.

There's a fine line between hard and just annoyingly time consuming.

Finalzone
Sep 25, 2012, 10:47 PM
PSO2 TrannyMizer Duel (Normal-Fighter/Double Wabers) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsch0nWEGZA&list=FL2uIkGENnupiP0-Sh9PXjww&index=5&feature=plpp_video)

As you can see...
Double Wabers = OP.

Guilling boss music from NiGHTS into the Dreams FTW.
Proud owner of the the original game including the original analog pad

pikachief
Sep 25, 2012, 11:34 PM
That person probably has some crazy affixes though...
1900k dmg per deadly archer hit is NOT normal. >_>

even half that damage attacking at that rate would be great.

LinkKD
Sep 25, 2012, 11:36 PM
Oh! so it's from NiGHTS...that's where I knew it from.

~Inu~
Sep 25, 2012, 11:39 PM
He was also pretty lucky. The poison on his weapon procced quite a bit, allowing the quartz to get stunlocked for the majority of the fight. Ever try using deadly archer on his front horn when he's swinging it around? Not that easy.