PDA

View Full Version : Content Vs. Utility: Where do you draw the line?

AzureBlaze
Sep 28, 2012, 12:09 AM
Forward thinking post incoming:
Clearly, the game is soon getting a World release. Clearly that release is several months after the JP one. It's a "sprinkle content onto people to get money" game, which is all well and good. But where is the line going to be drawn when it's utility VERSUS content?

Content for SURE includes:
Costumes
Scratches
Room fun stuff
Holiday specific fun
Sprinkling the story along
Level caps

Utility for SURE includes:
Fixes
Things like normal tundra from day 1
Franka being fixed from day 1
Loosening the time limit on some quests

Where are thy going to draw the line on the 'iffy stuff' though for the World release?
What counts as like a generalized game improvement (Not having tundra available normal mode made everyone complain because it got dull being trapped in the cave for X levels--which is where a lot of people quit to "more fun games") It's just good sense to have tundra normal from day 1.

You can also doubt you'll get 24 hour Franka's EXP craaaazy sale blowout that people were monetizing / free lvling off of like fiends.

Iffy things for you to pick at:
Emergency codes: Will the FULL variety of them be available from the start, or will we just get city for a month or 2?
Banthers: Will these guys hog all the emergencies like they did when they were first out? Will they still roll it like "you have to beat them in emerg. to get them in the regular level"?
Will they feel a need to drop MORE clothing MORE quickly because the customize-your-guy games in the world wide / USA provide fiercer competition?
TEAMS - Do you think they, and their team rooms are utility or content? Will World game open with team-ability engaged? (It would be smart if it did...)
Ship moving- ?
The trade in your cash stuff shop?

The logical thing to do would be to literally "step up their game" but how far do you push it for world release? There has to be an ideal line on which to sit, that the game will really shine among others, but without dumping too much in that either JP rages, or the pay stuff becomes paltry or too sparse.
Why?
Because some of the "Big Updates Yay!" have consisted of utility or fixes like opening mines to normal players, and implementing teams. When those are day 1'd, something else must land in the 'update slot' they would have had. Holidays don't count because if it's jan 2013, Vday, white day & Easter will fulfill the holiday fun quota. This is all in the mindset that they are actually turning over a real new leaf.

What do you consider utility, and what works better as content?

Griffin
Sep 28, 2012, 12:48 AM
I know where you're getting at, but it still comes down to being an Asian-styled MMO; grind-fest and Cash Shop.

Z-0
Sep 28, 2012, 05:31 AM
I highly doubt the JPs will rage if the Western servers get content at more or less the same time as them...

I don't see any disadvantages to releasing a fuller game from day 1, than starting at an earlier level. The larger the game is, the more people that will stay from day 1, and then they can release updates after that.

PS: You never had to defeat the Fangs to fight them in Free Forest. That was just a common misconception since they never appeared before the quest was released.

DARKWINGDARA
Sep 28, 2012, 05:32 AM
honestly i hope we're as up to date as possible. because let's face it, barebones pso2 isn't very enticing/entertaining for very long.

Ogni-XR21
Sep 28, 2012, 05:36 AM
If past situations are any indication they will have the exact same updates as they had for the JP version.

It's probably way too much work to roll it out in any other way.

Tenlade
Sep 28, 2012, 09:54 AM
If past situations are any indication they will have the exact same updates as they had for the JP version.

It's probably way too much work to roll it out in any other way.

They'll need to change some of the updates anyway, since a few updates have been based around times of the year (the summer update, this fall one, and we're gonna have a haloween one), and if they keep the english version exactly 1 year behind in content I'm not touching it.

NoiseHERO
Sep 28, 2012, 10:05 AM
honestly i hope we're as up to date as possible. because let's face it, barebones pso2 isn't very enticing/entertaining for very long.

I'm sure there's a lot more patient or grateful enough to BE patient people. *knows a few*

But I completely agree with you. e_e

JP PSO2 Day one full release, is NOT what I'd consider a presentable game. In general, I still consider this a beta game until we meet the content we'll have by the time they finish the matter board...

If they release this game with bare bones content... I'd be SURPRISED if this game did any better than it's predecessors. I'll still be playing both versions and I wouldn't be surprised... But I'd still be disappointed.

Zorafim
Sep 28, 2012, 10:19 AM
I really don't see why they won't release all the updates on the japanese server on an english one. They'll still pretty much get through the content at the same pace. There's just less waiting. Subclasses, for instance, will require getting to 30 for. Which, takes a decent amount of time. All the new client orders are only available in the new areas, and those new areas are only available after a certain level. Plus, you still need to unlock each new area via client orders.

This isn't like WoW, which invalidates all the content before each patch. Each piece of content is meant to be played through at the same speed, no matter what the update schedule is like.
I swear, I can only see a third of outland before I outlevel it...

What concerns me is clothing. If I'm not mistaken, clothing is not available after a certain point. So, is the scratch card list going to be the same on US vs JP? Or will they start from scratch? Of course, the obvious solution is to start after the japanese release, so starting from scratch IS starting with the japanese.

Angelic Fae
Sep 28, 2012, 11:13 AM
If the worldwide release doesn't contain up to date or at least relatively up to date content I will die a little inside...Y'see I can't read Japanese and rather like the idea of playing on an english speaking server but being so far behind is also a real bummer.

Would make it a real tough choice of which version to play on.

LeoSan
Sep 28, 2012, 11:19 AM
I prefer content, I can live with bugs, my friends too.
But we have more fun with the content stuff.

Maronji
Sep 28, 2012, 05:06 PM
Perhaps we can pray that getting as much content into the game as possible is why the game was slated for a 2013 release?

Hey, we need to have hope somewhere.

hbmizzle10
Sep 29, 2012, 03:16 PM
then again this is sega we are talking about........smart decisions arent really their thing so to speak

Blundy
Sep 29, 2012, 06:53 PM
not gonna care about the english one until i can be a techer on it.

HIT0SHI
Sep 29, 2012, 10:31 PM
I will play both versions but if the western release isn't up to date with JP like what happend to PSU, then I'll continue on the JP server.

Regardless of each version, im still waiting for the Samba Maracas, Opa-Opa mag cell and a guitar sword or gunslash. lol

NoiseHERO
Sep 29, 2012, 10:37 PM
guitar sword or gunslash. lol

THIS GUY.

NB4 it's wand