PDA

View Full Version : Major network latency (lag) when block fills up

BahnKnakyu
Oct 9, 2012, 02:04 AM
Anyone else noticed that when a block hits max capacity that everything you do on it slows to a crawl and end up having extreme network latency?

Stuff takes forever to load and combat is messed up since things don't register fast enough for you to "respond" to. This is similar to the lag that was happening during the early CBT.

The solution for now is to just switch to a block that is less populated, but this isn't the ideal solution if you want to be able to join active and random games with lots of people.

Are the JP players noticing this problem and has it been reported to Sega JP? It got progressively worse and worse - I think after that big update that happened in mid-August.

Can't think of what it would be on their side - it sounds like either Sega got a boost in population and they didn't account for it, or something's up with the load balancing of their servers. Maybe they actually consolidated the servers since the flavor of the month/fad players left after the first month?

eharima
Oct 9, 2012, 02:08 AM
ITS NOT only latency from ping speed, but also access times on the server database disks and cheap xeon cpu that cause the combined problem.
yes it affects everyone, so im sure its been noted, ship transfer seems to have not helped...

lets see if its better after todays update, also;

LolIrony? wwww
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/lgOzo.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Inazuma
Oct 9, 2012, 02:47 AM
The lag is absolutely horrible in full blocks. Sega needs to fix this problem in the next update. If for some reason they can't fix it now, the least they could do is reduce the maximum number of players allowed in each block, for a temporary solution.

Chik'Tikka
Oct 9, 2012, 03:21 AM
ITS NOT only latency from ping speed, but also access times on the server database disks that cause the combined problem.
yes it affects everyone, so im sure its been noted, ship transfer seems to have not helped...

lets see if its better after todays update, also;

LolIrony? wwww
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/lgOzo.jpg[/spoiler-box]

this^ i think "as in i don't really know" that SEGAC is using a blade server for each blk, and each blade has it's own storage and routing capabilities and when a block gets full, the HDDs, RAM, and possibly the bandwidth allocated can't keep up (each blade would get a pie piece of bandwidth from the server, and servers gotta share with the other nine)+^_^+

moorebounce
Oct 9, 2012, 03:30 AM
Well I'm gonna go back to playing on blocks that aren't even close to being full.

BIG OLAF
Oct 9, 2012, 11:03 AM
I notice that Block 20 is fine until an E-mission starts. Then, right on the hour, as soon as we get the "start" announcement, INSTANT 5-10 second latency until the mission is over. Why? It never did that before...

Fox2Tails
Oct 9, 2012, 11:07 AM
This is one reason why I tend to stay away from lobby 20 and 30, even without a EM the lag is bad

eharima
Oct 9, 2012, 04:41 PM
I'm not sure if it will help or not (afk can't try) but setting the character models to like 3 on render settings might alleviate the lag slightly....
Because it doesn't have so much data to call for everones costume and weapon.

Aeris
Oct 9, 2012, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure if it will help or not (afk can't try) but setting the character models to like 3 on render settings might alleviate the lag slightly....

Thats slowdown/graphics lag, they are talking about network/latency lag which the server's is suffering atm from near full blocks.

eharima
Oct 9, 2012, 06:37 PM
Sigh...
So, when you log in to a block full of players you have never seen before (implying no cached content)
Your client just magically knows what everyone has as clothing, armour and weapon equipped and what attributes are on them?
so when the character model loads from the default and is displayed on your screen, it has nothing to do with requesting data from the server, your PC just guesses and no data is transferred because its all local stored data.

Okay.
[Spoiler-box]HUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR jesus.[/spoiler-box]

Chik'Tikka
Oct 9, 2012, 06:39 PM
^ *doesn't see how player models loading effects lag in camp-ship and in missions on full blocks* +^_^+

NVM, i see now+^_^+ someone else in lobby is loading characters and it affects the same drives for missions and stuff+^_^+ all that maxed out bandwidth+^_^+

eharima
Oct 9, 2012, 06:48 PM
Although I don't know the actual setup of the server, if you think about each block as a individual server blade, within that blade, you can only go as fast as your slowest component,
most likely CPU and hdd access times are to blame rather than the actual available network bandwidth and network speed, because it only affects busy blocks.
And if we're thrashing the cpus on one server blade(block) it will affect everything on there like loading campship and such.

BIG OLAF
Oct 9, 2012, 06:54 PM
Sigh...
So, when you log in to a block full of players you have never seen before (implying no cached content)
Your client just magically knows what everyone has as clothing, armour and weapon equipped and what attributes are on them?
so when the character model loads from the default and is displayed on your screen, it has nothing to do with requesting data from the server, your PC just guesses and no data is transferred because its all local stored data.

Okay.
[Spoiler-box]HUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR jesus.[/spoiler-box]

It's still different types of lag. Aeris was correct in his statement. Graphical slowdown =/= server latency. PSU also suffered from both problems. They were not the same.

Also, the little bit in the spoiler box was unneeded.

eharima
Oct 9, 2012, 08:04 PM
It's still different types of lag. Aeris was correct in his statement. Graphical slowdown =/= server latency. PSU also suffered from both problems. They were not the same.

Right, before we get into this, clarify for me;

Thats slowdown/graphics lag, they are talking about network/latency lag which the server's is suffering atm from near full blocks.

Are you agreeing, just for the sake of whiteknighting?
Have you also misinterpreted my point?
Are you telling me, loading character data into the client from the server has nothing to do with data transmission, CPU requests and disk drive read/writes?
Your post is contradictory, you say areis post is correct, although it states I'M INCORRECT
(He Implying I'm posting about local hardware gpu solutions, not server problems)
Then you agree with my point that I'm trying to make that there is different types of lag, yet defending him. Wut?

You also need to clarify the terminology of graphical slowdown =/= server latency
Is this a generalization of the phrase latency, or aimed at a specific computer part/ server resource?
please re read my post in this thread and be sure of what I'm suggesting.

BIG OLAF
Oct 9, 2012, 08:06 PM
Are you agreeing, just for the sake of whiteknighting?
Have you also misinterpreted my point?
Are you telling me, loading character data into the client from the server has nothing to do with data transmission, CPU requests and disk drive read/writes?
Your post is contradictory, you say areis post is correct, although it states I'M INCORRECT
(He Implying I'm posting about local hardware gpu solutions, not server problems)
Then you agree with my point that I'm trying to make that there is different types of lag, yet defending him. Wut?

You also need to clarify the terminology of graphical slowdown =/= server latency
Is this a generalization of the phrase latency, or aimed at a specific computer part/ server resource?
please re read my post in this thread and be sure of what I'm suggesting.

I don't know what any of what you said even means, but frameskips and shit like that isn't server latency. That's what I meant.

eharima
Oct 9, 2012, 08:23 PM
I agree, so what's your point?
Or are you just whiteknighting?

CJ Johnny
Oct 9, 2012, 08:33 PM
It doesn't need a person with a GPA 4.0 to tell this is a 'Severe Lag'.

Upper right corner of the PSO2 screen. There is a pair 'Arrow'.
Up arrow we make a request to the severe.
Down arrow is from severe.

Usually when we have Lag, that down arrow doesn't blink.

Either way. It only happen on "Ship-2, Block-20".

My guess is, can this be the Eng-Pxxx!
Personally I don't use Eng-Pxx at all.

Even when I am running Em-Mission.
Others are asking 'Any Lag, huge lag'....
I only experience minimum.

PS: GFX Slowdown, Frame Skip....
Seriously!
Got nothing to do with the Server.
Why. If It is. That will not be call Lag.
It is call 'Corrupt DATA'

Chaeck your HardWare.

Last but not lease.
The game itself are able to run on Win-XP with DirectX-9.
Just in case anybody are loss a few years of real life.
Win-XP had stopped Support for some time.
And yes. Win-Vista as well.
Just to bring peoples up to date.

For the Argument.
When you run your PSO2 Benchmark.
It is not online.
100% your Hardware.

eharima
Oct 9, 2012, 08:47 PM
Right. You didn't go to school. Okay.
severe and server are two different words.
And the eng xxx is a client text file mod that has nothing to do with the server or network.

And no, this dosent only Happen on ship 2-20
Nor is it hackers ddos'ing the ship.

CJ Johnny
Oct 9, 2012, 08:55 PM
Right. You didn't go to school. Okay.
severe and server are two different words.
And the eng xxx is a client text file mod that has nothing to do with the server or network.

And no, this dosent only Happen on ship 2-20
Nor is it hackers ddos'ing the ship.

As you wrote.
The E-Pxxx really a mod file.

Admin.
Please Lock and Delete Thread.

eharima
Oct 9, 2012, 08:58 PM
Its an amazing world we live in.

sexyslut
Oct 9, 2012, 09:16 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag

Wikipedia. It's your friend.

Seraphus
Oct 9, 2012, 10:48 PM

Wait, so are textures and character/item models stored server side?

Chik'Tikka
Oct 9, 2012, 10:53 PM
Wait, so are textures and character/item models stored server side?

yep, when a character comes in range, the client sends a request to the server for whatever file or hash it needs to generate characters in front of you, the client takes the code and reconstructs models and items from the client side bin+^_^+