PDA

View Full Version : I will Never beat this game.

AC9breaker
Oct 11, 2012, 10:55 PM
So I totally loved Demon's Souls and was super excited for the spiritual successor Dark Souls. However, I think the gods are some how intervening to make sure I never beat this game or that I perpetually play it, fruitlessly trying to beat it.

So as some of you may or may not know I'm in the military. When Dark Souls was first released I was in Florida for some training. I had pre-purchased the special edition off of amazon months ago. However it was to be delivered to my home on record at New Jersey. So unless you have a permanent place of residence off base, it's usually a hassle getting mail in the military. I eventually received my copy about a month later. I was thoroughly enthralled with the game, I would have to put it down for extended periods of time due to field ops training and a lot of moving around. Somehow during my last move my PS3 was damaged and was no longer able to do anything.

I send it in to sony to get it repaired and also lose all saved data on my harddrive. :(
Oh well, I say to myself I'm pretty familiar with what I'm doing in that game. Shouldn't be too hard to get to where I last left off. Finally today I was just about 2 bosses shy from where I left off previously and lo and behold we randomly lose all power on base. When the power finally comes back on I find out that my saved file is corrupted and needs to be deleted.

WHAT!?WHY!? I say to myself. I was totally mad bro. Now I'm just feeling vexxed. In a couple of weeks I'll be heading to Japan and totally won't be able to beat the game by that time. Guess I'll just have to wait till I get to Japan before I can beat it.

Inazuma
Oct 15, 2012, 01:12 PM
If possible, back up your save file so it doesn't happen again.

blace
Oct 15, 2012, 05:55 PM
Ah yes, this had happened to me about a year ago with my PS3. Sony doesn't fix the problem, but rather they format the hard drive to 'clean' out any errors without regards to the save data on there. Normally before you send it in, they would tell you to back up the saves on a separate storage device.

On to keeping the actual data, I always have a USB drive around with a recent back up of my saves, and if the save can't be copied due to protection encryption, you'll need to use a PS+ account to back those files.

Another thing to note is if the PS3 freezes during any interval, your hard drive may be beyond more than having a few corrupted errors and may need to be swapped out entirely. That is an easy fix, although at your own expense, you could try getting a new 2.5" 5400 RPM hard drive at just about anywhere that sells them.

Just note that the last part is only if there's freezing, which could be due to the hard drive having broken components.

gigawuts
Oct 15, 2012, 06:18 PM
This is something I like about the xbox - it has cloud storage for save files. Does the PS3 have that? I seem to recall hearing that it does, maybe as a recent addition. That might be a solution.

Either way, I HAVE FAITH IN YOU MAN.

blace
Oct 15, 2012, 06:23 PM
This is something I like about the xbox - it has cloud storage for save files. Does the PS3 have that? I seem to recall hearing that it does, maybe as a recent addition. That might be a solution.

Either way, I HAVE FAITH IN YOU MAN.
$17 for 3 months or $50 for a year of PlayStation Plus membership. I only did it to keep the saves I couldn't copy over to my external hard drive due to the protection encryption on the save data.

Either way, it may be well worth the investment since PS+ cloud storage works out fairly well, albeit a bit slow.

AC9breaker
Oct 22, 2012, 04:00 PM
Yeah Dark Souls is one of those few games that has Copy Protection. Now that I think about it, PS+ seems more appealing for the cloud data service alone. I've lost alot of good saves over the years like my Save file of MGS 4 with the Solar gun unlocked, my save files of Valkyria Chronicles, Bayonetta, Castlevania, Disgaea 3 with fully reincarnated max stat, max item stat, max aptitude % characters. Demon's Souls save with all items unlocked.

Soo much grinding. Gone :(
At least the trophies help remind me on all I accomplished in those games.

firefiore
Nov 13, 2012, 03:54 PM
Seriously, it says "Prepare to die" on the cover.

AC9breaker
Nov 13, 2012, 06:09 PM
Yes! Finally after damn near a year, finally beat this damn game!

Feels good man.

Scrub
Nov 13, 2012, 06:24 PM
Glad to see you stuck it out. Final fight in Dark Souls was one of my favorite boss fights in any game ever. Artorias fucking ruled too.

drixil
Nov 13, 2012, 07:36 PM
I recently bought Dark Souls on Steam and... I definitely prepared to die, but not so fast and easily at the very beginning of the game. *_*