PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 No more AmEx for AC

Mike
Oct 22, 2012, 09:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX8fOUM6Tqk

According to a news post (http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=408) on the official site, Sega will stop accepting American Express cards for the purchasing of AC soon. They haven't done it yet so if you're one of the people who have gotten a prepaid American Express card to buy AC, you should stock up on AC if you think you'll use it.

Griffin
Oct 22, 2012, 11:02 AM
Nice marketing scheme by Sega. They force American buyers to stock up on AC then purging the method when they are done. Lol

gigawuts
Oct 22, 2012, 11:13 AM
Well then.

At least we won't have to explain the difference between the store-bought cards and the online-ordered cards anymore.

My IP ban sense is tingling. Why would they do this?

CelestialBlade
Oct 22, 2012, 11:40 AM
I assume some international currency or gambling law. They've done some dumb stuff but I wouldn't think even Sega's dumb enough to just outright refuse a profit without some kind of reason. Not feelin a ban myself, but I do feel like this is something out of Sega's hands.

Gama
Oct 22, 2012, 11:41 AM
I assume some international currency or gambling law. They've done some dumb stuff but I wouldn't think even Sega's dumb enough to just outright refuse a profit without some kind of reason. Not feelin a ban myself, but I do feel like this is something out of Sega's hands.

pretty much the same opinion.

they want monney.

EvilMag
Oct 22, 2012, 11:42 AM

I agree.

Griffin
Oct 22, 2012, 11:43 AM
pretty much the same opinion.

they want monney.

I agree.

No fair! I said the same thing, but differently!

gigawuts
Oct 22, 2012, 11:43 AM
Yeah, that might fit. Still, after the ban on most foreign payment methods, I'd have thought this would have been included in that ban.

CelestialBlade
Oct 22, 2012, 11:45 AM
Yeah, that might fit. Still, after the ban on most foreign payment methods, I'd have thought this would have been included in that ban.
Probably a "loophole" they didn't recognize at the time. I agree; I'm sure that would have been covered in the last ban otherwise.

Fox2Tails
Oct 22, 2012, 11:57 AM
Looks like me getting AC is looking less and less likely every time I think about it...

Eternal255
Oct 22, 2012, 12:08 PM
I saw this coming. Gonna drop like $50 now and call it a day lol. Don't think ill spend much more than that on this game.

Been doin just fine without premium before, so im sure i'll be good without it in the future. I'll just save up the 3day myshop passes for when i need em

Tomeeboy
Oct 22, 2012, 12:14 PM
They've had a lot of previous payment method updates on the official site that indicate they are trying to add additional authentication steps to their processing. It's likely that this change is somehow related.

I know that Visa, Mastercards, and JCB all seem to have an additional layer of authentication available when somebody uses one of those payment methods (for example, J-Secure with JCB requires the customer to enter an additional code). Perhaps this is not something they can set up with AMEX for whatever reason. Without more details, it's hard to know the exact reason behind the change.

Eternal255
Oct 22, 2012, 12:20 PM
^They dont want us to buy shit (or play this game) if we dont live in japan. Simple as that.

Japan has income laws too, ya know. I was told it was illegal for us to purchase shit from them without paying additional taxes or something other. Someone can clarify if they know more.

Ryo
Oct 22, 2012, 12:36 PM
^They dont want us to buy shit (or play this game) if we dont live in japan. Simple as that.

Japan has income laws too, ya know. I was told it was illegal for us to purchase shit from them without paying additional taxes or something other. Someone can clarify if they know more.

I doubt this is true, at all. They could take much simpler steps to combat foreigners playing, like an IP ban.

This is most likely a fraud-prevention measure. F2P MMOs are big targets for fraud. Not every policy change SEGA makes is about foreign players.

Griffin
Oct 22, 2012, 01:11 PM
I doubt this is true, at all. They could take much simpler steps to combat foreigners playing, like an IP ban.

This is most likely a fraud-prevention measure. F2P MMOs are big targets for fraud. Not every policy change SEGA makes is about foreign players.

Good point. But I do wonder what'll happen when PSO2 is released stateside.

D-Inferno
Oct 22, 2012, 02:26 PM
Webmoney should still work.

Inazuma
Oct 22, 2012, 02:39 PM
Well, shit. I guess I'll have to buy some AC now while I still can, and then be forced to pay extra fees to use WebMoney when it runs out. This sucks.

*edit*
OK, I should be good for 2 or 3 years now. Sucks having to spend a small chunk of change all of sudden but at least I won't have to worry about AC for a while. I will just use this for premium set. If I ever want to buy AC scratches in the future, I will put that money toward buying cheap laptops instead. Selling badge items is better than doing AC scatches imo.

[Ayumi]
Oct 22, 2012, 03:00 PM
This just means I'm not once getting AC for this game. No biggie.

Ogni-XR21
Oct 22, 2012, 05:33 PM
As long as webmoney still works I really don't mind...

Keiko_Seisha
Oct 22, 2012, 05:45 PM
I'll toss the idea of getting one of those cards out the window, then.

solslow
Oct 22, 2012, 05:51 PM
Oh no! This sucks! I can't believe they'll take away the easiest and cheapest AMEX option, and with the VISA and MASTER card they listed are JP Only? I guess the only way to buy AC after this ban will be from the pricey dealer or from the webmoney.. er... Not pleased at all! I guess I'll have to stock up some more AC before it's too late.

Konflyk
Oct 22, 2012, 05:58 PM
I used Sutocorp recently, though I have to say the USD > JPY will hurt those pockets, I think I paid like $32 for 2000AC, feelsbadman

Xaeris
Oct 22, 2012, 06:06 PM
Most of that is the Sutocorp and Webmoney markup. 2000 AC (i.e, 2000 yen) is only 25 dollars and some change.

Yunfa
Oct 22, 2012, 06:32 PM
Perhaps its time for me rethink about my monthly premium of roughly 20$ (mark up by Sutocorp) a month; I seem to only get to play at max 2 days (weekends) out of the week.

Crystal_Shard
Oct 22, 2012, 07:46 PM
Oh great. -_- I'm beginning to wonder if someone at Sega owns shares in SutoCorp or something. :P

I can manage without premium, but I guess I should look into a few of those item expansions for some of my alts that I've been holding off for a bit.

Chik'Tikka
Oct 22, 2012, 10:42 PM
drained my card+^_^+ and i just got it too..... i will not pay the insane markup SutoCorp or web-money charges (went further into debt as it is to get $45 worth, which came to 3500AC), not to mention all the transferring the money goes thru, i just don't trust it.... oh well, I'll have a shop at least thru January, then ima consider quitting, i won't play on US servers after what happened to PSU, and JP servers without AC, now that I've actually bought some, just seems like a waste of to me now..... no reason for them not to take AmEx either, payments are guaranteed internationally and are nearly instant, i have .50¢ left on the AmEx management page in less then 30 seconds after buying AC, so it has nothing to do with slow payment processing.... this is an active and blatant attempt to cut us out......

http://i48.tinypic.com/wwnnnc.png

I AM REALLY F!@#!@# UPSET ABOUT THIS!!!! F!@# YOU SEGA!!!

Cyron Tanryoku
Oct 22, 2012, 11:11 PM
Does this affect webmoney in any way?

Mike
Oct 22, 2012, 11:32 PM
Does this affect webmoney in any way?
No. It only affects transactions made between you and Sega with a credit card. Webmoney is a different story.

ZER0 DX
Oct 22, 2012, 11:40 PM
Has anyone tried purchasing Webmoney directly from their site with an Amex card yet? Assuming they accept those cards, it's a possible workaround.

FOnewearl-Lina
Oct 23, 2012, 12:07 AM

OMG Chik is upset omg +^_^+

Xaeris
Oct 23, 2012, 12:14 AM
I don't want to antagonize anyone, but don't some of you think you're overreacting just a teeny bit?

Konflyk
Oct 23, 2012, 12:39 AM
All my rage

So...in January 2013 I won't see you posting those rediculous faces anymore? But seriously it's not that big a deal, having a shop etc. surely you do more with your life than just play PSO I hope, and after you get the things that stay, Skill trees, Mags, Expansion slots what else do you need? Aside a shop maybe every other month to hustle off the rares you've collected to make some money for the new stuff if you have trouble finding it. The markup is just so Sutocorp can actually turn a profit, and it's like 6% that's not a lot.

.Jack
Oct 23, 2012, 12:56 AM
Have they set a date yet on to when this will be implemented?

Chik'Tikka
Oct 23, 2012, 01:29 AM
Has anyone tried purchasing Webmoney directly from their site with an Amex card yet? Assuming they accept those cards, it's a possible workaround.

i wouldn't mind knowing this+^_^+ it would lessen markup and i wouldn't have to relinquish my anonymity like you do with SutoCrap, or a gazillion accounts/passwords and companies the $$ transfers thru+^_^+ i barely trust my bank, let alone the security of all these companies giving each other my money in a daisy chain+^_^+

gigawuts
Oct 23, 2012, 03:20 AM
I don't want to antagonize anyone, but don't some of you think you're overreacting just a teeny bit?

Well, amex prepaid was a way to get AC without any markup, and it did cost money to get. It was also pretty easy and convenient.

I wanted an amex prepaid card anyway, to use in places where I would possibly expect either identity theft or extra transactions. Xbox Live used to charge repeatedly unless you jumped through loops to disable it, various overseas sites have a whole lot of middle men that can see your details, etc.

I'll be keeping it and using it for things anyway as just an extra level of caution. Yeah, sure, most companies have fraud protection, but so does this and the amount that can be stolen is limited to what I put on it at any one time.

Chik'Tikka
Oct 23, 2012, 12:15 PM
^ the point hidden in my rage post+^_^+ just all the disappointment hid it+^_^+ AmEx was so easy, almost strait form my wallet to SEGAC, no middle men+^_^+ same thing for GreenDot Visa cards, I use one for XBL myself due to annoying M$ payment handling+^_^+

Griffin
Oct 23, 2012, 12:36 PM
^ the point hidden in my rage post+^_^+ just all the disappointment hid it+^_^+ AmEx was so easy, almost strait form my wallet to SEGAC, no middle men+^_^+ same thing for GreenDot Visa cards, I use one for XBL myself due to annoying M$ payment handling+^_^+

Holy shit I just noticed this.

You put "+^_^+" between sentences! lmao I never caught on until now.

Chik'Tikka
Oct 23, 2012, 12:41 PM
Holy shit I just noticed this.

You put "+^_^+" between sentences! lmao I never caught on until now.

<<<<<<<<<<<<< *replaces periods with +^_^+*

Eternal255
Oct 23, 2012, 01:05 PM

This. Can someone test this out possibly? I'm not positive how webmoney works exactly but it would be awesome if we could. That would mean i wont have to use my bro's japanese bank account xD

Also, what were the other options listed when purchasing AC? First was credit card, then webmoney, and then there were like 4 or 5 other options, no?

Alenoir
Oct 23, 2012, 01:30 PM
You can only buy Webmoney with a Master/Visa (and something else I'm not sure of) card issued within Japan. There's really no other way around it. Just find a friend that's willing to buy WM for you in Japan or something or give up if you don't want to deal with the markup fee.

Oh, as someone who had a friend in Japan: 500 yen is required every time she takes money out of her Paypal account.

Eternal255
Oct 23, 2012, 01:39 PM
Saison card, yeah just checked. lame.

well hopefully my bro's bank account is still active then : /

i wish i could somehow spend all this extra yen i have from my visit to japan recently... but the banks dont take the coins :(

oh well haha

Alenoir
Oct 23, 2012, 01:41 PM
Also, what were the other options listed when purchasing AC? First was credit card, then webmoney, and then there were like 4 or 5 other options, no?
The other options are all for eletronic money and other payment method that can only be done within Japan. There really is no way around this. If there was, I haven't been able to spot it since ~2009.

RadiantLegend
Oct 23, 2012, 05:05 PM
American Express do have ridiculous interchange fees. I don't blame them.

Mystil
Oct 24, 2012, 01:56 AM
US dollar is so weak.

Chik'Tikka
Oct 24, 2012, 01:34 PM
AmEx was founded as a way for Americans to use their own money abroad, and a major part of their business model is still in the travelers check or the ability to use AmEx cards over seas, they maintain a global network that various banks connect to, allowing the balance to be immediately deducted with a purchase without the banks having to negotiate with each other, another aspect of AmEx is foreign transaction fees are always constant regardless of country and they guarantee the money no matter what (i still think it odd that i live in the Midwest, and only 2 businesses, Walgreen's and Wal-Mart, are the only ones that accept AmEx)+^_^+ that's why i don't really understand SEGAC's removal of AmEx, i can understand Visa and MC due to fraud and other issues, but they had AmEx support for how long now?? they already obviously had it set up+^_^+ i can only conclude 2 things from this, SEGAC is going into the red as a company and are making cuts to stay afloat, or their trying to deliberately cut all direct foreign transactions out to try and get us to play the defunct at launch US/EU servers+^_^+ with help translating from Mike ima send them an e-mail and while i don't expect to get a response, maybe, just maybe they may reconsider+^_^+
ima send them the following, maybe if others do the same・・・・・・・・・

[SPOILER-BOX]こんにちは

アメックスの取り扱いはなぜやめるんですか? 考え直していただけませんか? 近い将来にアメ ックスを再度 取り扱うことを考えてますか?

よろしくお願いします

<your name here>

(should mean "Hello Sega,
Why are you ending support for American Express cards as a payment method for AC on JP-PSO2?? I would like to know if you would reconsider keeping support for AmEx for AC purchase, or reimplementing AmEx in the future, thank you." or something close to it anyway)[/SPOILER-BOX]

Tomeeboy
Oct 25, 2012, 10:36 AM
According to an update posted today on the PSO2 JP players site, AMEX acceptance is now officially ended:

http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=408

Eternal255
Oct 25, 2012, 10:41 AM
According to an update posted today on the PSO2 JP players site, AMEX acceptance is now officially ended:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

stupid 5-day waiting period before the money transfers to the card! i added another $32 to spend but its still not on the card, guess i cant use it anymore :'(

edit: $32 for 2000 yen thru sudocorp, thats ridiculous! well, i guess its ok for this once, but im gonna find an alternative method : /

Chik'Tikka
Oct 25, 2012, 01:09 PM
well, i posted my message on Facebook's PSO2 page, and sent it to the 3 e-mail addresses i have in my inbox for PSO2, if anyone knows of more e-mails SEGA uses for PSO2 related questions and concerns I'll try those too, if your willing to share+^_^+

Inazuma
Oct 25, 2012, 04:00 PM

Yep. Good thing I bought some when I did.

Mike
Oct 25, 2012, 07:04 PM

I was taking to someone about how we wouldn't know when Sega would stop taking cards until they did. Looks to be more or less the way it worked.

Crystal_Shard
Oct 25, 2012, 07:33 PM
I was taking to someone about how we wouldn't know when Sega would stop taking cards until they did. Looks to be more or less the way it worked.

Whoops, looks like my decision was made for me after all. Guess it's time to find more webmoney sources.

Mystil
Oct 26, 2012, 01:59 PM
AmEx was founded as a way for Americans to use their own money abroad, and a major part of their business model is still in the travelers check or the ability to use AmEx cards over seas, they maintain a global network that various banks connect to, allowing the balance to be immediately deducted with a purchase without the banks having to negotiate with each other, another aspect of AmEx is foreign transaction fees are always constant regardless of country and they guarantee the money no matter what (i still think it odd that i live in the Midwest, and only 2 businesses, Walgreen's and Wal-Mart, are the only ones that accept AmEx)+^_^+ that's why i don't really understand SEGAC's removal of AmEx, i can understand Visa and MC due to fraud and other issues, but they had AmEx support for how long now?? they already obviously had it set up+^_^+ i can only conclude 2 things from this, SEGAC is going into the red as a company and are making cuts to stay afloat, or their trying to deliberately cut all direct foreign transactions out to try and get us to play the defunct at launch US/EU servers+^_^+ with help translating from Mike ima send them an e-mail and while i don't expect to get a response, maybe, just maybe they may reconsider+^_^+
ima send them the following, maybe if others do the same・・・・・・・・・

[SPOILER-BOX]こんにちは

アメックスの取り扱いはなぜやめるんですか? 考え直していただけませんか? 近い将来にアメ ックスを再度 取り扱うことを考えてますか?

よろしくお願いします

<your name here>

(should mean "Hello Sega,
Why are you ending support for American Express cards as a payment method for AC on JP-PSO2?? I would like to know if you would reconsider keeping support for AmEx for AC purchase, or reimplementing AmEx in the future, thank you." or something close to it anyway)[/SPOILER-BOX]

Oh you're so bold and sharp. However at this point, I feel now that US version will be a lot better.

To the people asking why, it might be more of an annoyance to them than you realize.

<snip>
This is all well and good and make sense, but for SEGA, this is an excuse to cut us out.

Sierhiet
Oct 26, 2012, 02:35 PM
Oh you're so bold and sharp. However at this point, I feel now that US version will be a lot better.

Personally has been my stance for months now. To predetermine the US versions defunct due to past issues, while simultaneously basically down-playing or ignoring the blatant complications one deals with on the JP servers now is just asinine.

freyt
Oct 26, 2012, 02:40 PM
I'd rather have problematic content rather than a lack of content.

Chik'Tikka
Oct 26, 2012, 10:45 PM
I'd rather have problematic content rather than a lack of content.

not to mention the US community we will see, with the F2P model i expect this x10+^_^+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U33wGLCbCq4

at least JP servers are more polite+^_^+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCTUZjtr6qc

Mystil
Oct 27, 2012, 04:06 PM
Personally has been my stance for months now. To predetermine the US versions defunct due to past issues, while simultaneously basically down-playing or ignoring the blatant complications one deals with on the JP servers now is just asinine.

Or both could suck. There's always a chance for that!

Renvalt
Oct 29, 2012, 12:31 AM
Personally speaking, I want to know how many players on the NA side will be playing it simply to associate it with PS1-4/PSO1/PSU and how many will be playing it without any prior exposure to the Phantasy Star "universe".

I mean, I only played PSO1 for about a few weeks prior to its demise on the NA servers (this is Blue Burst we're talking about here, iirc), and what time I did spend in PSU was prior to the release of AoTI, which I never got to experience (and surely envy those who did).

But since we as gamers and people have grown up, there's been a newer generation to take its place. My concern/curiosity is how many of those will be:

A)Coming from the Western shithole-communes of WoW/GoW/CoD/LoL that apparently try to meme-ify anything and everything they find in the most immature of ways (think immature little "punks", for lack of a better word)
B)Coming into this game from the Korean MMO hives of MapleStory/Ragnarok Online/Elsword/etc. that are looking for an escape from the corporatist tactics of the groups that host said games (specifically Nexon)
C)Coming into this game with no prior MMO experience but having experience in single player action games. Specifically those who are console junkies but never felt the desire to go from solo to netplay.

Of these groups, I'd love for Group A to kindly get a maturity check before they step into this game, Group B to wind down from the massive hate for hosting companies that they've had prior (these guys tend to expect the most outlandish of phenomena to occur), and for Group C to speak up and seek out others of their kind (not just within THEIR group but within OURS as well).

Group C has me the most interested, whilst Group A has me the most disgusted. Group B is meh.

That said though, I'm definitely playing the NA version once it gets here - being able to experience ALL the content in a language that I'm familiar with (although the transition will definitely be weird at first) is probably the biggest factor in me making the jump. Being heavily unable to understand the Japanese players gives me a serious amount of unexplainable paranoid discomfort (which I attribute to a culture shock - won't go into that here as it would veer heavily off-topic and possibly cause a flame war).

Don't get me wrong - I've enjoyed my time here. It's just that I have this feeling of.... suppression and fear that I can't shake. Maybe it stems from how small the EN community is on the JP servers and how large their community is. I honestly don't know. But whatever.

Y'all are free to berate and praise my opinions however the hell you want. But please allow me to have them. In turn, I'll respect your opinions.