PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Should we Grind to +10 before selling?

Lamoon26
Oct 22, 2012, 12:05 PM
Hello All

Ever since the price of grinding dropped down I also notice grinding accuracy seemed to increase. my units and weapons were grinded to +10 much faster than I remember before the update. Does anybody know if accuracy of grinding went up with the cost going down?

Also my friends and I have found some nice drops but they dont seem to be selling. for example my friend found a Milky Twinkle and grinded it to +10 to make a bigger profit but its been days and no one has bought it. Could this be because he grinded it to 10? with grinding a lot easier are players more attracted to the idea of do-it-yourself grinding instead of buying something already done in shop?

Z-0
Oct 22, 2012, 12:09 PM
No, the rate never went up. I just used 750 grinders to not +10 a weapon.

And some items aren't selling right now because people are waiting for this Wednesday, where it is inevitable that there will be more items to outclass the ones we have (not in every case).

Eternal255
Oct 22, 2012, 12:12 PM
^this.

theyre adding even more weapons this wednesday. count on your current items being obsolete (again) unless heavily grinded/affixed.

Z-0
Oct 22, 2012, 12:16 PM
And then it's Ruins in two more weeks, so count on these becoming obsolete too.

Zyrusticae
Oct 22, 2012, 12:19 PM
I don't get this talk of "obsolete" gear.

I'm still using a 5* wand. Still using my Garland (that I've had for months). Still using 2* and 3* weapons. Still killing things in seconds or less.

Gear really doesn't matter that much in this game, unless all you do is TA...

Eternal255
Oct 22, 2012, 12:21 PM
killing normal mobs doesnt count. they die just by looking at them.

better gear makes killing bosses quicker, which makes farming specific items easier.

Lamoon26
Oct 22, 2012, 12:22 PM
Oh I see, so people are more waiting it out rather than buying one of these weapons out now. Good idea I think I will wait before I try to upgrade my weapons.
But Also any suggestions on when its a good time to upgrade to the next best thing? I havent upgraded my weapon since the start of the game (Stella Twinkle +10/Ragne-Tecklll) I newly redid my units but I am wondering how often people upgrade all there things.

Zyrusticae
Oct 22, 2012, 12:30 PM
killing normal mobs doesnt count. they die just by looking at them.

better gear makes killing bosses quicker, which makes farming specific items easier.People actually do boss runs?

That's news to me! :-?

eharima
Oct 22, 2012, 12:32 PM
I can also confirm I spent 99 grinders going from +5 to..... +5.... (and not even going to +8)
GG brodo.

gravityvx
Oct 22, 2012, 12:51 PM
People actually do boss runs?

Seriously can't tell if that's sarcasm or not but yeah, people do boss runs very often now due to the 10* rares, and it's much more effective than running around an MPA, especially ones like rockbear where you get multiple spawns so yes having good gear speeds those S rank boss runs up by alot when you have a 2-4 well geared players speed running them.

Zyrusticae
Oct 22, 2012, 01:02 PM
Well, that's just bloody terrible, then. The game's gonna go down the shitter if we're going to have gear-whoring elitists all over the place.

Still, my experience tells me that, unless you're wielding one of the newer high-tier 8*+ items (with stat reqs of over 500), it just doesn't make that much of a difference. Shifta (drink and buff) just completely ignores weapon damage, after all, and that's a good chunk of your damage output right there.

Mostly, though, I just don't give a shit. If people are going to start giving shits I'm just gonna have to stay the hell away from the game. Hope that doesn't come to pass.

Edit: Basically, what I'm saying is that if gear starts becoming actually "obsolete" because gear-whoring speed-running elitists say so, I'm gonna say FUCK YOU and tell them to go fuck off elsewhere. Because that's fucking ridiculous. I don't play games to put up with that shit and I am ACTUALLY FREAKING PISSED that this is even becoming a thing!

Z-0
Oct 22, 2012, 01:04 PM
So wanting to have better gear is a problem?

lol

Zyrusticae
Oct 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
Wanting to have better gear is fine.

It's the attitude that goes along with it that's a problem.

If you've ever played Tera or WoW after they added gear score, you know what I'm talking about.

Edit: OH, and the fact that actually getting such high levels of gear requires spending hundreds of grinders and millions of meseta on grinding rares that you may have had to spend millions on just to acquire if the RNG hates you enough. Seriously, fuck that! Randomness is bullshit and if I have to put up with it just to keep up gear-wise I'm gonna crack!

Z-0
Oct 22, 2012, 01:09 PM
Oh, that. I know exactly what you mean (not that I've played WoW or Tera), but I'm pretty sure nobody really cares in this game about other peoples' gear, providing they're not absolutely terrible players. (Except TA'ers, but we only care in the sense of knowing how undergeared we are compared to a team with a faster time).

In MPAs gear is not of high importance, although it definitely helps (being able to kill things in 2 hits versus 3 makes things go a lot smoother), mainly for bosses (as Eternal said). For some, they also enjoy doing the highest damage output possible, so gear going obsolete every 2 weeks is starting to get annoying, and it's really not fair if you're a TA'er going against uber richies who can keep buying.

Polly
Oct 22, 2012, 01:29 PM
If you've ever played Tera or WoW after they added gear score, you know what I'm talking about.

Pretty much why I quit Tera. I couldn't progress. Getting into instances was a nightmare (lol warriors suck, rite?) Cue up for a dungeon for 60+ minutes, get booted immediately because lol gear score or some whiny pussy doesn't want gear competition. Really fucking fun times.

gigawuts
Oct 22, 2012, 01:33 PM
Yeah that's one thing I like about this game - gear isn't actually completely important. It has an impact, but skill is far more valuable than another 15% damage. That 15% damage doesn't matter worth a god damn if you can't get enough hits in to kill something - but if you can survive you can easily get in the extra hits to make up the 15% difference with weaker gear.

When you combine both though, that's when it gets neat.

Xaeris
Oct 22, 2012, 01:36 PM
People actually do boss runs?

Zyru, we were doing Rockbear runs just the other day. >.>

gravityvx
Oct 22, 2012, 01:45 PM
Well, that's just bloody terrible, then. The game's gonna go down the shitter if we're going to have gear-whoring elitists all over the place.

Still, my experience tells me that, unless you're wielding one of the newer high-tier 8*+ items (with stat reqs of over 500), it just doesn't make that much of a difference. Shifta (drink and buff) just completely ignores weapon damage, after all, and that's a good chunk of your damage output right there.

Mostly, though, I just don't give a shit. If people are going to start giving shits I'm just gonna have to stay the hell away from the game. Hope that doesn't come to pass.

Edit: Basically, what I'm saying is that if gear starts becoming actually "obsolete" because gear-whoring speed-running elitists say so, I'm gonna say FUCK YOU and tell them to go fuck off elsewhere. Because that's fucking ridiculous. I don't play games to put up with that shit and I am ACTUALLY FREAKING PISSED that this is even becoming a thing!

Well that was an overreaction if I ever saw one, you apparently didn't even know speed runs existed even though it's been going on more frequently since the 10* patch launched so that at the very least should be an indication of how little an impact people speed running has towards you or anyone else. My earlier post simply was stating there are indeed people that do boss runs and having good gear speeds that up by a large amount when you're running them for long periods. There was no mention of any gear restrictions or anything of the sort that would indicate bias towards anyone joining in, hence why I said 2-4 well geared players meaning not everyone would be geared and isn't necessary just helpful.

As for gear becoming obsolete, that was only a matter of time given how the weapon stats are scaling on here and only effects people that actually like to progress in gear (when it comes to tiers ie H, VH etc), and from what I can tell that isn't most people around here. And since this game is more focused on mindless MPA, I doubt this game will ever suffer from gear elitism. And as someone who plays TERA, there is an extremely huge difference in getting geared on there, and the awful community there compared to this where it's actually very easy now with all the meseta nerfs, a decent community and rare item value plummit not to mention this is very casual, but of course that's up to the player how casual.

Zyrusticae
Oct 22, 2012, 02:41 PM
Yes, I overreacted. Shows you how much I care, though.

At any rate, the use of "obsolete" is a terrible misnomer as only an insignificant fraction of the player base actually thinks that way. It would be better to just say "there will be better gear in the future that you might want to save up for" than to say "your current gear will be useless (obsolete)".

Zyru, we were doing Rockbear runs just the other day. >.>
Yeah, but I still don't make a habit of it. The only boss runs I really do are for client orders.

Macman
Oct 22, 2012, 02:53 PM
Zyru have you ever played a PSO game before? It's always about (gear) elitism. Hell IIRC PSU was about RACE elitism.

Coatl
Oct 22, 2012, 02:56 PM
Boss runs are so very unfun. You spend 10 minutes just getting to area 3 and after doing it twenty time not ONE rare boss has spawned. Super deterring.

Yes, I overreacted. Shows you how much I care, though.

At any rate, the use of "obsolete" is a terrible misnomer as only an insignificant fraction of the player base actually thinks that way. It would be better to just say "there will be better gear in the future that you might want to save up for" than to say "your current gear will be useless (obsolete)".

Why is it that when people want to be optimal it is because they are "gear whoring elitists"? Coming from mmos like Tera or WoW, or any other traditional MMO really, the mentality that you have to be optimal all the time gets pounded down into your head. In PSO2 it's different, but it does not mean that those who enjoy PSO2 and want to perfect their skills have to be belittled because PSO2 is a "casual" game.

Zyrusticae
Oct 22, 2012, 03:12 PM
It is possible to want to be optimal without being an elitist dickhead about it.

Unfortunately, a lot of people have to be dickheads about it.

Zyru have you ever played a PSO game before? It's always about (gear) elitism. Hell IIRC PSU was about RACE elitism.
Yes, it was bullshit then, it's still bullshit now. What's hard about that?

[Ayumi]
Oct 22, 2012, 05:14 PM

PSO for me was about hanging with friends and having my Guld Milla with certain armor I liked, not about the "best".

PSU was all about trying to make it feel like a game I liked from 2006 up to Dec 2011

gravityvx
Oct 22, 2012, 09:31 PM

You can't really go saying insignificant as if it were an absolute fact without hard evidence that that is indeed the case but anyway, maybe the term obsolete isn't the right word, so I'll try to explain with a few words and an included screenshot. After sub classes were released, we've become so powerful that some weapons are far less useful given the amount of things we can equip at such low levels now (and the prices), making the weaker weapons for lower levels feel a little pointless to use. While they are far more useful to new players without a sub class, I see their usefulness for older players much lower/less used since so many of the good weapons are within reach now at such cheap prices(and usually have the better looks). Anyway, anyone who plays multiple classes like myself knows that before sub classes, I would not be anywhere near close to being able to equip the weapon shown in the screenshot at such a low level, and this is what I mean when I say some weapons no longer seem as practical to use.

So while I'm not saying any piece of gear is useless, since there's always a use for most everything and some people just prefer looks, I'm saying with the current state of stats and prices some items have become far less useful as they were before and will continue to go that way each mode update(Hard, V. Hard, Ultimate, etc.), luckily I doubt we'll be seeing ultimate anytime soon and this is as far as the gap in weapon stats will be going for a while. I myself am one of the people that want nice looking gear with nice stats though, for the record. I don't know about anyone else but progression is just something that comes natural to me and I find it fun, that is unless I'm playing guild wars 2 and stats really do mean nothing after getting to the cap.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/Thatguyobliv/pso20121022_221045_001.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Gama
Oct 22, 2012, 09:41 PM
i play for fun, not for making a boss easyer to kill.

i do have my *6 +10 rod waiting for me to be able to equip it tho.

dont think ill be changing rods for quite some time tho. i have my current rod since... ever.

IndigoNovember
Oct 23, 2012, 01:14 AM
Not to bring this topic back on track or anything, but grinders sell for a decent price and will always be in demand (until they replace grinders with something else, if they do that is), rares on the other hand require you to sacrifice grinders and meseta just to get it to +10 where if you're unlucky it might not sell at all and you'll end up losing a bunch of meseta. So grinders are a safer bet whereas a +10 rare is a riskier bet but can also have a much higher payout. The choice is up to you.

gigawuts
Oct 23, 2012, 03:23 AM

This is, depressingly, somewhat true.

When I played it was with people that cared about how cool an item and its effects were. Either units, armors, or weapons - if it was neat, and did a neat thing, it was good. Actual strength was secondary to utility.

That's how I approach this game and...well, eh. It's pretty different and doesn't compare since items are basically just a skin now. I do prefer to upgrade every time a new weapon has, like, 30% more damage than my current one, but that's just minor details. It's really about aesthetics for me, like when I was choosing between a hellfret and an excellan blade.

Needless to say I want that fucking demo comet.

Ce'Nedra
Oct 23, 2012, 08:04 AM
Boss runs are so very unfun. You spend 10 minutes just getting to area 3 and after doing it twenty time not ONE rare boss has spawned. Super deterring.

That's what I've been doing past week to hunt down Gwana Nero hoping for a Demolition Comet...And I must say, its starting to get really annoying. So far I only seen the Nero twice, both gave a meseta circle + Samegid lv11 (can't even sell it ;-; )

I won't give up that easly though.

Link1275
Oct 23, 2012, 12:35 PM
Not to bring this topic back on track or anything, but grinders sell for a decent price and will always be in demand (until they replace grinders with something else, if they do that is), rares on the other hand require you to sacrifice grinders and meseta just to get it to +10 where if you're unlucky it might not sell at all and you'll end up losing a bunch of meseta. So grinders are a safer bet whereas a +10 rare is a riskier bet but can also have a much higher payout. The choice is up to you.

It's a lot more complicated than that actually(one nice reason to not have a My Shop, none of the stress). Most people seem to buy a weapon, grind it to +10 and and get it perfect. Then they sell it, however to get it to +10 they have to spend money and either find or buy grinders....

LinkKD
Oct 23, 2012, 01:02 PM

RACISM

though uhm...Idk

the original PSO was hard to be elitist since getting to max level WAS pretty mucht he end game...and it'd take forever to get there

so...(to me at least) PSO felt more like just doing the best I could withing my lv/gear limitation and hoping for some day in the long future maybe getting my hands on one of those sexy rares I'd always dream of.

since the lv cap was so far away and there'd always be people obviously stronger than you, there was no real worry with being optimal, you could just keep playing and improving in your pace...or at least that's how I felt about it.

PepperCat
Oct 23, 2012, 01:55 PM
Needless to say I want that fucking demo comet.

THIS...!

Eternal255
Oct 23, 2012, 02:46 PM
I don't get this talk of "obsolete" gear.

I'm a little late, but i wanted to elaborate on my initial statement. Note that i skipped reading all posts in between this one, and the quoted.

I used the word obsolete because of simply how much more powerful the newer weapons are compared to the old. I suppose obliterate would have been a more appropriate word. But as you can see, there are many new weapons which at say +3 or +4, seem to overpower the previous weapons at +10 with affixes!

Now i brought this up because i was astonished by the severity of the change in power. In previous versions of PSO, you would observe maybe a difference of 50-150 power from one good rare weapon to another. And the difference in that power resulted in little damage. In this game, 50-100 s-atk seems to be a noticeable amount of damage (especially when using PA's, hell even just adding a soul to a weapon is noticeable)

Yes, you can use your current weapons no problem (as I am still doing, using a 9* cruel flouga, even though it is weaker than several new 8* weapons), but some of us like to have more powerful weapons.

However this is where the statement of obsolete comes from- When they add a newer weapon, IF you happen to get one, you wont be using your older one anymore. Why use a dagger with 300 s-atk, when you have one with 500? This bothers me because as in PSO1, you could still use say, a Lavis cannon with 750 atk, even though an excalibur had 900 atk. The difference in damage was minimal, but not in this game.

I'm just worried that they will introduce so many new weapons that our older, cool-looking weapons, will no longer compare in damage.

And yes... that Demo Comet >.< farmed gwana's for a few hours yesterday, not a single nero spawn (at 3 spawns per run + random ones along the way)

Stormwalker
Oct 24, 2012, 01:00 AM
Meh. Screw elitism.

Screw stats, too, for that matter. I want gear that is cool, not gear that is supposedly Best In Slot.

That's why I bought an Oboro today. No, it's not the most awesome powerful weapon in the game. Heck, i could have bought that new ugly-as-sin 8* which is much stronger for less meseta. But Oboro LOOKS awesome, and until I find a Nishiki or a Blade Dance or the price on Nishiki comes down a whole hell of a lot, this Oboro is gonna be my weapon of choice. Besides, its' still better than my 6*, and my 6* has been more than adequate for everything I've faced so far (I'm 44 Fighter 43 Hunter now, my sig is out of date).

It's the same reason I've been massacring Gulfs en masse for days now. I don't much like the Demo Comet, looks-wise. I want a Cutlery.

I think the thing that worries the heck out of me about untradeable 10*'s is that I'm just sure I'm going to get saddled with the ones I don't like.

Meji
Oct 24, 2012, 03:23 AM
so...(to me at least) PSO felt more like just doing the best I could withing my lv/gear limitation and hoping for some day in the long future maybe getting my hands on one of those sexy rares I'd always dream of.Totally agree with Link here.

Ce'Nedra
Oct 24, 2012, 03:33 AM
Totally agree with Link here.

Except the fact that you get rares drop more then monomates? :P

_truth_
Oct 24, 2012, 11:05 AM
Cross posting from quick questions thread as it looks like people have been doing boss runs in this thread. Any input would be appreciated.

"I'm sorry if this has been covered before. But is it confirmed whether or not its beneficial to S-Rank missions when donig Rare boss runs? From what I understand, it increases amount of drops but not the chances of getting the drop? So if it increases the amount of drops you get, which gives you more chances to get said item, isnt that the way you should be doign boss runs? Only reason I ask this is because I hear of people doing Speed runs and some doing S-Ranks. Any confirmation to which is more benficial?"

Z-0
Oct 24, 2012, 11:07 AM
It is beneficial, yes. For normal boss runs though, I'm not so sure, because you spend over double time just for +4 drops, which doesn't seem worth it.

_truth_
Oct 24, 2012, 11:29 AM
It is beneficial, yes. For normal boss runs though, I'm not so sure, because you spend over double time just for +4 drops, which doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks for the confirmation. It makes total sense, I just wanted to see what other people were doing, as I have heard ppl doing it both ways. Thanks again!

Eternal255
Oct 24, 2012, 11:39 AM
That's why I bought an Oboro today. No, it's not the most awesome powerful weapon in the game. Heck, i could have bought that new ugly-as-sin 8*

Looks = 50%
Power = 50%

I like to get the best looking weapon, with the highest power (currently, blade dance, unless they added twin kamui finally?? til lavis blade comes out). But its gotta be both. Luckily i liked the looks of cruel flouga which used to have the highest power.

But that 8* you speak of is much much stronger than it, but i wouldnt be caught dead usin that crap D:

Stormwalker
Oct 25, 2012, 01:36 AM
Looks = 50%
Power = 50%

I like to get the best looking weapon, with the highest power (currently, blade dance, unless they added twin kamui finally?? til lavis blade comes out). But its gotta be both. Luckily i liked the looks of cruel flouga which used to have the highest power.

But that 8* you speak of is much much stronger than it, but i wouldnt be caught dead usin that crap D:

Yeah, that's pretty much where I am. It's not really that I don't care about stats, because honestly I do.

I like having good gear, don't get me wrong. I'm not going to use something that is total garbage just because it looks good. But at the same time I refuse to use a weapon I can't stand the sight of.

And seriously, who designed that piece of 8* crap, anyway? That has to be one of the ugliest weapon designs I have ever seen. All that attack power going to waste 'cause I can't bear to look at it.

Shortly after buying the Oboro, (on my very first VHard Tundra run after the patch, in fact), the 9* ice daggers dropped for me. Now I have a dilemma. The 9* *is* better (especially because it has Lucky Rise I and a 29% wind element on it), but... the Oboro looks better, and the performance difference is not huge.

Decisions, decisions...