PDA

View Full Version : New to pc gaming and need some help

Malarkey
Oct 31, 2012, 05:38 PM
I have a decent computer that i wanna upgrade to play pc games like pso 2 at a high level. I have a 6gb ram,amd athlon II x 250 3.0gh processor,ati radeon 4200 card. what should i upgrade to and where should i get it? I have no idea so any help would be helpful thanks alot!!

Lostbob117
Oct 31, 2012, 05:42 PM
Your computer should be fine running pso2 at a decent graphics though just turn blur off and what not because it doesn't even look that good in the first place.

Malarkey
Oct 31, 2012, 05:43 PM
hey thanks.. should i play on the jp server or wait till it comes out in us?

R3dMaGiK
Oct 31, 2012, 05:46 PM
Am I right in saying that your gfx card is integrated and not dedicated?

Malarkey
Oct 31, 2012, 05:50 PM
i think so but i have places to expand

R3dMaGiK
Oct 31, 2012, 05:52 PM
yeah you will need to upgrade your gfx card atleast. these are the requirements for pso2

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT or similar or higher
Direct X: Direct X 9.0c or higher

Malarkey
Oct 31, 2012, 05:54 PM
do you have one that you would reccomend looking to spend about 100-200 thats about it unless its close to that

R3dMaGiK
Oct 31, 2012, 05:57 PM
What PSU do you have? As you may have to upgrade this also. An is that in £ $ or €?

Malarkey
Oct 31, 2012, 05:59 PM
none yet i was gonna either wait pso 2 in us or get the jp version. I used to play on the 360

R3dMaGiK
Oct 31, 2012, 06:02 PM
PSU as in power supply unit. (An is that in £ $ or €?)

Malarkey
Oct 31, 2012, 06:04 PM
$ and i have no idea im really newby

R3dMaGiK
Oct 31, 2012, 06:07 PM
Can you take the side cover off from your pc and on your psu will be a sticker. look for where it says max output.

You most likely will have to upgrade but its worth checking.

Lostbob117
Oct 31, 2012, 06:35 PM
Can you take the side cover off from your pc and on your psu will be a sticker. look for where it says max output.

You most likely will have to upgrade but its worth checking.

Do you not read? He said he's new to computers. What I would do is go on "Can I run it?" and see if you can pso2. if so you can probably run it on a decent graphics. Maybe even good graphics.

Here's the link: www.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/

Just type in pso2 and download what the site ask you to download so you can see if you can run the game or not.

Sizustar
Oct 31, 2012, 06:42 PM
Which motherboard do you have?

Install and run CPU-Z
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

And regarding upgrading pc and such.
You might get better answer on dedicated forums such as toms hardware or overclock
http://www.overclock.net/

http://tomshardware.net/

Graphic cards
Around $100
Radeon 7750

Around $150
GTX 560 TI

Around $200
Radeon HD 7850

Under $250
GTX 660

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Ezodagrom
Oct 31, 2012, 06:57 PM
I have a decent computer that i wanna upgrade to play pc games like pso 2 at a high level. I have a 6gb ram,amd athlon II x 250 3.0gh processor,ati radeon 4200 card. what should i upgrade to and where should i get it? I have no idea so any help would be helpful thanks alot!!
I recommend getting a new graphics card, in my opinion the Radeon HD7750 is a good option for you.

Asus Radeon HD7750 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121633

Usually PCs that come with integrated graphics have weak power supplies, it's possible that it might not be able to handle much better than this.

The HD7750 has decent performance and low power consumption, plus it doesn't need external power connectors, so, if you choose this card, after you get it, all you need to do is to open the case, insert the card in the PCI Express x16 slot in the motherboard, close the case, connect the screen cable, and install the card drivers (you can either obtain recent drivers in AMDs website, or just install the drivers that come in the card's CD).

ZeGoose
Oct 31, 2012, 07:10 PM
I recommend getting a new graphics card, in my opinion the Radeon HD7750 is a good option for you.

Asus Radeon HD7750 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121633

Usually PCs that come with integrated graphics have weak power supplies, it's possible that it might not be able to handle much better than this.

The HD7750 has decent performance and low power consumption, plus it doesn't need external power connectors, so, if you choose this card, after you get it all you need to do is to open the case, insert the card in the PCI Express x16 slot in the motherboard, close the case, connect the screen cable, and install the card drivers (you can either obtain recent drivers in AMDs website, or just install the drivers that come in the card's CD).

Do this. Eliminates PSU requirements and I think you can get some free games not sure.

Nameh
Oct 31, 2012, 09:23 PM
The laptop I'm getting has a AMD Radeon HD 6320 integrated graphics card with 4gb RAM. (Plan on upgrading it to 8gb) Will this play it at a playable speed and not have bad graphics?Oh btw what's the difference between integrated gfx cards and normal cards?

Ezodagrom
Oct 31, 2012, 09:33 PM
The laptop I'm getting has a AMD Radeon HD 6320 integrated graphics card with 4gb RAM. (Plan on upgrading it to 8gb) Will this play it at a playable speed and not have bad graphics?Oh btw what's the difference between integrated gfx cards and normal cards?
Integrated graphics are weaker than normal cards, integrated graphics are a chip integrated either in the motherboard or in the processor, while normal graphics are a full dedicated card with its own memory and cooling, allowing for better performing chips to be used in dedicated cards.

Anyway, the HD6320 is a netbook integrated chip, I don't think it can handle more than low settings.

Chik'Tikka
Oct 31, 2012, 09:37 PM
+^_^+ this thread is turning into "will my computer run this" thread number 2+^_^+
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187525

ZeGoose
Oct 31, 2012, 09:45 PM
+^_^+ this thread is turning into "will my computer run this" thread number 2+^_^+
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187525
What I don't understand is there are people from this forum playing on the japanese servers. Can't they put their specs down and tell what settings they're playing on? When it is released in NA the specs should not be so different.

Konflyk
Oct 31, 2012, 10:23 PM
What I don't understand is there are people from this forum playing on the japanese servers. Can't they put their specs down and tell what settings they're playing on? When it is released in NA the specs should not be so different.

Because we already have a thread dedicated to that, and I'm pretty sure it's stickied.

"Can my computer run this v1.8" or something like that, the minimum reqs are listed on the PSO2 website, we have them hanging around here somewhere, bumped.org has the minimum reqs as well, you can probably google for it. Then start to use sites such as Tom's Hardware and ask a pretty compound question such as.

"I want a PC to build that's under $500 that would be able to run a majority of games at 1920x1080 resolution with steady FPS"

or

"I have this PC(model# if store bought) and these are the specs, what should I upgrade in order to make it able to play games better?"

Athlon x4 3.0ghz
8gb ram
550w PSU

running on max settings full frame rate

Chik'Tikka
Oct 31, 2012, 10:24 PM
<<<<
reflection quality= 4
shadow quality= 4
complex shaders on, textures set to max, everyting on except blur and in game AA (preffers Nvidia AA modes)+^_^+ using a GT 540m laptop card with 1 gb VRAM @ 1333 MHz+^_^+

ZeGoose
Nov 3, 2012, 11:27 AM
Because we already have a thread dedicated to that, and I'm pretty sure it's stickied.

"Can my computer run this v1.8" or something like that, the minimum reqs are listed on the PSO2 website, we have them hanging around here somewhere, bumped.org has the minimum reqs as well, you can probably google for it. Then start to use sites such as Tom's Hardware and ask a pretty compound question such as.

"I want a PC to build that's under $500 that would be able to run a majority of games at 1920x1080 resolution with steady FPS"

or

"I have this PC(model# if store bought) and these are the specs, what should I upgrade in order to make it able to play games better?"

Athlon x4 3.0ghz
8gb ram
550w PSU

running on max settings full frame rate

I figured it was just due to laziness or the inability to read a sticky.

Sammickk
Nov 3, 2012, 11:46 AM
does a computer that age even have a PCI express slot? 4200 is pretty old AMD is in th 7000 series now, first i suggest you check your Mother board for a PCI Express 16x Slot, then you PSU for a 6 Pin PCI Express 6 pin Power plug

Ezodagrom
Nov 3, 2012, 12:35 PM
does a computer that age even have a PCI express slot? 4200 is pretty old AMD is in th 7000 series now, first i suggest you check your Mother board for a PCI Express 16x Slot, then you PSU for a 6 Pin PCI Express 6 pin Power plug
The HD4200 integrated graphics were introduced in the AMD785G chipset, which already supported PCI Express 2.0.

About the power supply, this is why I suggested the HD7750 before, that card doesn't require external power connectors. The OP doesn't really need anything better than the HD7750 also, most likely he wouldn't be able to use better cards to their full potential due to his processor.