PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Good recording software for pso2?

Dark Emerald EXE
Nov 5, 2012, 07:15 AM
Forgive me if this has been asked before.
Is there any decent free ones that won't completly hinder the quality.

Also what's the rules on posting videos of that on youtube? I recall you had to put something on it otherwise sega would have it taken down.

Natsuma
Nov 5, 2012, 07:45 AM
FRAPS ;-)

Sirius-91
Nov 5, 2012, 07:54 AM
For youtube videos (or any hosting site) had to put ©SEGA in the video, and before the video and put this in the description:

『PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2』公式サイト
http://pso2.jp/

As for cam software, I'd recommend fraps, although the japanese seem to like bandicam.

gundam0079
Nov 5, 2012, 08:36 AM
Fraps or dxtory

Dinosaur
Nov 5, 2012, 10:50 AM
MSI Afterburner. Shits all over FRAPS for free(literally).

Nov 5, 2012, 11:40 AM
dxtory is amazing.

Miraclearrow
Nov 5, 2012, 11:46 AM
Fraps is good :D

Griffin
Nov 5, 2012, 11:56 AM
I use FRAPS only because everyone talks about it. If there is a better quality recorder out there for free, let ME know.

metatime
Nov 5, 2012, 12:55 PM
MSI Afterburner. Shits all over FRAPS for free(literally).

Yea I use MSI burner. Only problem is that there's really no interface or anything except like a little visual but that gets recorded too.

Yunfa
Nov 5, 2012, 01:13 PM
I have tried several ones including FRAPS, but FRAPS is... mediocre @ best. I ended up using Bandicam, however I think other than which program to use, your desktop's level of performance should be considered into the overall performance of above mentioned program and the end result of your videos. Although churning out quality HD videos w/ Bandicam, I think I need another harddrive soon. (Taking apart my tower is a pain...)

gravityvx
Nov 5, 2012, 01:25 PM
How in the world is fraps mediocre? It records uncompressed video at the press of a button, giving them very high quality with no alterations like pointless logos in the corner, lower fps etc. As long as you have the hard drive space, pc to handle it & software to adjust the video to your needs fraps is one of the best. Far from mediocre.

blace
Nov 5, 2012, 01:30 PM
I've been using Fraps, but for a free alternative bandicam would probably do the job better as it doesn't record 30 second session for free use.

If you're using the paid product, Fraps will split up the video file into separate parts.

Natsuma
Nov 5, 2012, 01:36 PM
FRAPS mediocre?
It's because you don't know how to set it up or using the free version.
Give me another screen-recording software that can record things with any fps value you wish and with an uncompressed .AVI output?

Dinosaur
Nov 5, 2012, 05:51 PM
Yea I use MSI burner. Only problem is that there's really no interface or anything except like a little visual but that gets recorded too.

There is an on screen interface that is fully change-able. Can be hidden on command. Can show advance statistics or simple statistics. You can change the placement of the FPS anywhere on the screen(I have mine showing FPS + System Time in my HP HUD) (http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/subarashee/PSO2/mainload_zpsde81c26d.jpg). It's so good that there are two full menus for the damn thing. Shown here:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/subarashee/PSO2/Untitled-1_zps1d071c83.jpg

For example, the top part of this picture shows a full statistical loadout. The bottom part shows FPS only. You can select any single statistic individually to be shown or not to be shown. You can even change the color(down to the gradient) and font of the stats to your liking as shown on the bottom part. These stats can also be shown on keyboards with LCD displays.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/subarashee/PSO2/loadout3_zps3ca35525.jpg

It even tells you how long and how big a recording is during the process.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/subarashee/PSO2/loadout4_zps8fade75e.jpg

Here's the video capture menu showing all the options.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7203/6809392966_f1d606d0af_b.jpg

There's almost no reason to use any other alternative unless you like throwing money away or going through the trouble of illegal downloading(shame on you for either). Like really, if you're using FRAPS or Badicam, you're living in the stone age. Remember that this program is FREE, unlike FRAPS or Badicam which require payments to be able to use less than half of the features of MSI Afterburner.

WebBug
Nov 5, 2012, 06:26 PM
FRAPS mediocre?
It's because you don't know how to set it up or using the free version.
Give me another screen-recording software that can record things with any fps value you wish and with an uncompressed .AVI output?

MSI Afterburner can do that, and it's free.
For anyone new to video capture, I strongly recommend trying MSI Afterburner before anything else. I used FRAPS before MSI Afterburner released their video capture feature.

Chik'Tikka
Nov 5, 2012, 07:14 PM
^ how will MSI affect a system that runs PSO2 at at roughly 40-60 FPS? will i get a sorta "fastforward" when i start losing frames but am recording at 60 FPS?+^_^+

Dark Emerald EXE
Nov 5, 2012, 07:49 PM
I think for now I'd probably do a free one for now until i get more money...my job being stupid...but that's the flaw of working for less then a year old project....or maybe that it's trying to apply work practices of india....in the states *shrugs* idk which...anywho i wont get into my personal affairs lol

I have this if it means anything about performance
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215541

Nameh
Nov 5, 2012, 08:06 PM
With all of the recording software I've used, I have to say that Dxtory was the absolute best, but only if you buy it because if you don't you'll see a big banner at the top saying dxtory.com. Even though the videos took a LOT of space, it's worth it with the AWESOME quality they show. Next I'd recommend is Total Recorder Pro or something like that. I LOVED it because it had no banner or anything, recorded perfectly, and took little space. But it's a trial so it didn't work after it expired. :( FRAPS I like because you can find a free version easily. It doesn't work well with my old machine at the moment though.

Others like Bandicam, Camstudio, Hypercam are useful too, but it's not like the best ones out there.

Crystal_Shard
Nov 5, 2012, 08:29 PM
Gonna say MSI Afterburner as well. It's free to use and it's got pretty much all the features you need in a recording software, unless there's something you really need to have in one of the paid solutions. Afterwards, just use VirtualDub and Handbrake to edit and compress.

Chik'Tikka
Nov 6, 2012, 01:39 AM
finally decided to try and record game-play with MSI Afterburner, here's the result (haven't been in blk 20 in awhile, it's getting slummier)+^_^+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JVwCA59Xxc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JVwCA59Xxc

now, if only i can figure out why there's a mouse cursor smack in the middle I'll be set+^_^+

Sizustar
Nov 6, 2012, 01:51 AM
Fraps(Paid version) if free, MSI Afterburner

Recorded with Frap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZhLkvPsZMg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZhLkvPsZMg

Recorded with MSI Afterburner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Y2MI2CuGk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Y2MI2CuGk

Dinosaur
Nov 6, 2012, 01:55 AM
finally decided to try and record game-play with MSI Afterburner, here's the result (haven't been in blk 20 in awhile, it's getting slummier)+^_^+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JVwCA59Xxc

now, if only i can figure out why there's a mouse cursor smack in the middle I'll be set+^_^+

You're actually recording your Desktop. Open up Rivatuner and put PSO2.exe in the programs list.

Chik'Tikka
Nov 6, 2012, 02:19 AM
You're actually recording your Desktop. Open up Rivatuner and put PSO2.exe in the programs list.

did that after install (yes i rebooted) and i was looking thru options to see if i could put recording data by my name and noticed no profile for PSO2.exe, so i added it, neither any data appeared and i has a white mouse cursor in the recording, it's not there when I'm playing+^_^+ playing in virtual full-screen mode as actual full-screen mode crashes PSO2 if i alt+tab to my second monitor (which i do A LOT)+^_^+ Google is failing me on this weird cursor thing.....

Dinosaur
Nov 6, 2012, 02:25 AM
did that after install (yes i rebooted) and i was looking thru options to see if i could put recording data by my name and noticed no profile for PSO2.exe, so i added it, neither any data appeared and i has a white mouse cursor in the recording, it's not there when I'm playing+^_^+ playing in virtual full-screen mode as actual full-screen mode crashes PSO2 if i alt+tab to my second monitor (which i do A LOT)+^_^+ Google is failing me on this weird cursor thing.....

Go to the rivatuner properties and check "Enable compatibility with modified Direct3D runtime libraries"

I had the same kind of problem you did. PSO2 doesn't seem to like external programs much.

Sizustar
Nov 6, 2012, 02:36 AM
Go to the rivatuner properties and check "Enable compatibility with modified Direct3D runtime libraries"

I had the same kind of problem you did. PSO2 doesn't seem to like external programs much.

It's not exactly PSO2.exe, more likely Nprotect's Gameguard.

Chik'Tikka
Nov 6, 2012, 02:44 AM

hmm、no go、idk why it picked me of all people to mess up on (set it for both PSO2.exe and Global)+^_^+

PathToGlory
Nov 6, 2012, 04:29 AM
what recording software should i use and what software should i use to compress the files???

Maronji
Nov 6, 2012, 04:32 AM
There's a whole discussion on recording software in the first 5 non-stickied threads (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202124) as of this posting.

Might as well read through that first, as they've discussed quite a bit within the last day or so as it is.

Shirokami
Nov 6, 2012, 05:02 AM
Dxtory

Chik'Tikka
Nov 6, 2012, 11:11 AM
^ thinking about trying that, as good as MSI Afterburner is, the codecs are crap, 600+ GB for 2 hours mjpeg video?? no thanks, but i hear Dxtory has x264 codec support (which i have x264vfw installed) which will allow blu-ray 1080p quality at 40GB for 2 hours (if you didn't know, x264 and h264 are the common blu-ray video codecs used, and .mp4, .avi, and .mkv can contain x264 easily)+^_^+ only thing that scares me about Dxtory is how hard it taxes hardware, Afterburner works very well without my performance taking a hit+^_^+

Crysteon
Nov 6, 2012, 11:21 AM
I use Dxtory and it works pretty well to me.

Chik'Tikka
Nov 6, 2012, 03:38 PM
Dxtory is a bust, regardless of what settings i use, it doesn't record, the fps gauge changes color, i run it for awhile, then stop it, i see the video file get created in the directory i picked, but shortly after i stop recording it deletes itself.... Google came up with one solution which was to install Windows Media Player and all associated files, but i already have all those+^_^+ the other solution is to record without sound which also does not work, besides no way is it worth $50 if only way to record is without sound+^_^+ so after 5 hours of fiddling, Afterburner > Dxtory, even if Dxtory has support for loss-less x264+^_^+ also, Dxtory dropped my frame-rate in game while recording, which is a no-no+^_^+

Ryo
Nov 6, 2012, 04:04 PM
Didn't PSO2 have built-in video recording that didn't work during beta? Was that never fixed?

BIG OLAF
Nov 6, 2012, 04:05 PM
Didn't PSO2 have built-in video recording that didn't work during beta? Was that never fixed?

I believe they nixed the feature upon full release.

Ryo
Nov 6, 2012, 04:36 PM
Aw man, that's what I was afraid of. That stinks!

Dinosaur
Nov 6, 2012, 05:04 PM
^ thinking about trying that, as good as MSI Afterburner is, the codecs are crap, 600+ GB for 2 hours mjpeg video?? no thanks, but i hear Dxtory has x264 codec support (which i have x264vfw installed) which will allow blu-ray 1080p quality at 40GB for 2 hours (if you didn't know, x264 and h264 are the common blu-ray video codecs used, and .mp4, .avi, and .mkv can contain x264 easily)+^_^+ only thing that scares me about Dxtory is how hard it taxes hardware, Afterburner works very well without my performance taking a hit+^_^+

3 Hours for me is 100 Gigs. My recording settings are MJPG, 90% quality, 16:9 720p, 30FPS. The quality slider is the biggest offender though. You can put it down to 65-75% and it will look pretty much the same with a significantly smaller file.

Ezodagrom
Nov 6, 2012, 07:30 PM
Dxtory is a bust, regardless of what settings i use, it doesn't record, the fps gauge changes color, i run it for awhile, then stop it, i see the video file get created in the directory i picked, but shortly after i stop recording it deletes itself.... Google came up with one solution which was to install Windows Media Player and all associated files, but i already have all those+^_^+ the other solution is to record without sound which also does not work, besides no way is it worth $50 if only way to record is without sound+^_^+ so after 5 hours of fiddling, Afterburner > Dxtory, even if Dxtory has support for loss-less x264+^_^+ also, Dxtory dropped my frame-rate in game while recording, which is a no-no+^_^+
Dxtory needs a good hard drive or multiple hard drives to record properly (at least with the built-in codec), so a laptop is a no go.

Chik'Tikka
Nov 6, 2012, 07:38 PM
Dxtory needs a good hard drive or multiple hard drives to record properly (at least with the built-in codec), so a laptop is a no go.

is a TB usb 3.0 drive good enough?? cause that's what i'm trying to record to+^_^+ (my laptop has usb 3.0, one of the reasons i picked it)

Dark Emerald EXE
Nov 6, 2012, 07:58 PM
I've been reading/watching videos on how to record on afteburner and ive yet to get it to work haha :P Of course I was half way sleep wheni tried it......pretty sure i miss something :/

FOnewearl-Lina
Nov 6, 2012, 09:31 PM
is a TB usb 3.0 drive good enough?? cause that's what i'm trying to record to+^_^+ (my laptop has usb 3.0, one of the reasons i picked it)

Get a proper PC with an SSD drive +^_^+

Ezodagrom
Nov 6, 2012, 09:56 PM
No idea, I think that it might depend on the drive itself, if it's a 5400rpm drive, then it's possible that it's not enough, if it's a 7200rpm, it probably should work (depending on the resolution, framerate, codec and quality setting you're using).

Anyway, there's a formula to know the required write speed for recording with dxtory's default codec (Dxtory Video Codec):
- width x height x fps x 3 for true or high quality
- width x height x fps x (3/2) for medium quality
- width x height x fps x (9/8) for low quality

This means that to be able to record at 1920x1080 at 30fps, the hard drive needs to be able to keep a 178MB/s write speed for true quality, 89MB/s write speed for medium quality and 67MB/s for low quality. Usually 7200rpm hard drives have a write speed of around 70~90MB/s or so.

Other codecs work in different ways than the default Dxtory Video Codec, you mention x264 in a previous post, I guess you're not using the default codec then? Some codecs don't work, since those don't actually come with Dxtory. Dxtory automatically detects codecs that are installed in the system, some just don't work for this.
Some people use the Lagaryth codec instead of the default one, no idea if it's good or not, since I never used it, I use the default Dxtory Video Codec at medium settings to record my videos (at 1820x720).

If Afterburner is working well for you though, there's probably no reason to try others, I guess. ^^;

Chik'Tikka
Nov 6, 2012, 10:50 PM
Get a proper PC with an SSD drive +^_^+

*looks at current SSD prices* yeah, I'll get one someday, but most likely it'll be just for the OS and Games/programs+^_^+ my laptop has an extra HDD bay (was pleasantly surprised when i opened it up to see what i could do to the fan), so maybe I'll buy SSD first, then when i have the funds to build a desktop I'll just stick it in there and adjust drivers accordingly+^_^+

stuff+^_^+

yeah, thanks for that info!! i still have both installed, maybe Dxtory and the codec just needs more fiddling+^_^+ Dxtory was being a pain, broken English didn't help much, i think i tracked that weird mouse cursor too for Afterburner (the legacy one Windows uses if you select none or you run safe mode or if there are no .cur files in the windows\cursor folder) ima just stick it in a .zip when i find it (though i think it's hiding either in the winsxs folder or in the registry, neither of which I'm fond of fiddling with)+^_^+ x264 woulda been great (maybe still be, and if it is HDD write speed, well, they have 3.0 SSDs, it's a little CPU intensive though+^_^+

Crystal_Shard
Nov 6, 2012, 11:37 PM
About using an SSD drive to record video... while you'd get much better transfer speeds and all, I'd think this would kill the SSD a lot faster. Also, SSDs are still pretty expensive for their equivalent size compared to standard HDDs.

A better solution for now? A high RPM/high capacity HDD directly plugged into the SATA controller on the motherboard.

Ezodagrom
Nov 6, 2012, 11:51 PM
I might also note something else about Dxtory, when using the Rawcap format instead of the AVI format, it's possible to share the workload with multiple hard drives, splitting the file between each of the drives (Dxtory has a tool to later convert the Rawcap files to AVI).

This works well when using separate hard drives, that is, when using extra hard drives that don't have the OS installed. Trying to share the workload with the hard drive that has the OS might not be as effective as separate hard drives, since hard drives can't read and write at the same time (they can switch between reading and writing fast, but they can't do both at the same time, separate drives achieve the best results). There's an higher risk of having skipped frames in the recorded video when using the hard drive that has the OS than when using a separate drive.

Chik'Tikka
Nov 7, 2012, 12:51 AM
^ yeah, i figured that out, and the default Dxtory video codec is terrible, been playing a little more with it using the CC demo, got x264 to work, real nice to see high quality 1080p video with 1gb per 2mins, but my bottleneck at this point is my GPU, my external will write as fast as 60FPS using x264, but the extra workload Dxtory causes drops me to 15FPS with slider at 5 (when i normally can play around 50FPS) and just under 55FPS with slider at one, also if the framerate doesn't stay steady, the resulting vid kinda flickers like badly filmed... well... film+^_^+ still, with slider set to one and forcing FPS to 30, i can see why Dxtory is so well recommended+^_^+

here's my prognoses, if you system is weak, but you can afford more space, use afterburner, however, if your GPU is good (gonna say GTX 560 and up?), your CPU is at least a quad core, have a write speed on your HDD above 40MB/s, and you get x264vfw working, Dxtory is superb (more so in codec support and setting flexibility, like RAID recording), but ima still say Afterburner as I'm sure a lot of people don't have $40-50 laying around to get rid of god awful Dxtory banner+^_^+ and afterburner is free+^_^+

[SPOILER-BOX]kinda what it looks like, but at top of screen+^_^+http://i45.tinypic.com/20k83s2.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

ima play xbox now+^_^+

Maronji
Nov 7, 2012, 06:34 AM
The main problem I can see with recording with anything besides the default codec or Lagarith is that the program has to compress the footage in real-time while recording, which will require much more resources than you would normally expect.

With DXtory, the most recommended setup I hear of is RAWcap format with Lagarith. Lagarith, while a lossless format, is smaller than pure, uncompressed video, so although it would put more burden on your HDD space, it would probably be less of a burden on your CPU and whatnot.

Chik'Tikka
Nov 8, 2012, 01:34 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]
There is an on screen interface that is fully change-able. Can be hidden on command. Can show advance statistics or simple statistics. You can change the placement of the FPS anywhere on the screen(I have mine showing FPS + System Time in my HP HUD) (http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/subarashee/PSO2/mainload_zpsde81c26d.jpg). It's so good that there are two full menus for the damn thing. Shown here:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/subarashee/PSO2/Untitled-1_zps1d071c83.jpg

For example, the top part of this picture shows a full statistical loadout. The bottom part shows FPS only. You can select any single statistic individually to be shown or not to be shown. You can even change the color(down to the gradient) and font of the stats to your liking as shown on the bottom part. These stats can also be shown on keyboards with LCD displays.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/subarashee/PSO2/loadout3_zps3ca35525.jpg

It even tells you how long and how big a recording is during the process.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/subarashee/PSO2/loadout4_zps8fade75e.jpg

Here's the video capture menu showing all the options.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7203/6809392966_f1d606d0af_b.jpg

There's almost no reason to use any other alternative unless you like throwing money away or going through the trouble of illegal downloading(shame on you for either). Like really, if you're using FRAPS or Badicam, you're living in the stone age. Remember that this program is FREE, unlike FRAPS or Badicam which require payments to be able to use less than half of the features of MSI Afterburner.

[/SPOILER-BOX]

so i have been playing with Afterburner for a couple days now, but i can't get it to display anything at all, how are you acomplishing this??? using version 2.2.5+^_^+

Dinosaur
Nov 8, 2012, 02:14 AM
so i have been playing with Afterburner for a couple days now, but i can't get it to display anything at all, how are you acomplishing this??? using version 2.2.5+^_^+

In the MSI Afterburner settings > general tab, I have "Enable low-level hardware access interface" checked, with "kernel mode" selected in the drop down box. After doing this, I haven't had any trouble with the on-screen display showing up on PSO2.

Chik'Tikka
Nov 8, 2012, 03:20 AM
In the MSI Afterburner settings > general tab, I have "Enable low-level hardware access interface" checked, with "kernel mode" selected in the drop down box. After doing this, I haven't had any trouble with the on-screen display showing up on PSO2.

hmm, didn't work, any chance i can convince you to snip your RivaTuner settings (both Global and for pso2.exe) and relevant tabs in Afterburner properties? ima reboot and see if that does trick after switching to kernal mode+^_^+

EDIT: reboot no help

EDIT 2: figured out Afterburner isn't "hooking" Pso2.exe, the only program it's hooking is ccSvcHst.exe which is my AV (for some reason, it thinks it's a 3D program)

Edit 3: x264vfw may be in Afterburner 2.3.0

vid from dev+^_^+
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhCWooBRySE&feature=player_detailpage"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhCWooBRySE&feature=player_detailpage[/SPOILER-BOX]

Dark Emerald EXE
Nov 8, 2012, 09:07 PM
Any reason why I can't record in afterburner?
Unless I'm just doing it wrong :o

Well figured it out...now what I'd like to know is what is a good hotkey for video capture that pso2 doesn't use in game?

Chik'Tikka
Nov 8, 2012, 10:28 PM
^ using CTRL+ALT+F10
AB won't recognise PSO2.exe so i just changed my mouse cursor and gonna record off desktop+^_^+

Gen2000
Nov 8, 2012, 10:40 PM
Any reason why I can't record in afterburner?
Unless I'm just doing it wrong :o

Well figured it out...now what I'd like to know is what is a good hotkey for video capture that pso2 doesn't use in game?

How did you solve your problem? After all the praises of this Afterburner I tried it out and record a demo test vid once and now it doesn't record anything after that first time. Kind of a bummer.