PDA

View Full Version : Best book/series ever?

Spy
Mar 6, 2001, 03:17 AM
Well what do you think?

My vote has to go for the Ender series. While the last two books go into some real crazy shit about making people from nothing the earlier books, and the latest two Bean spin-offs more than make up for it. All of the books are well told, no matter how off the wall they may be, with solid characters that you can actually care about(I still want to see Bean and Petra get together, and I actually shed a tear when Ender finally died after his 3,000+ life.)

My vote for second would have to be Dune, because I'm into those backstabbing kind of politics and stuff.

Lastly, I'd have give Goosebumps #3. Actually, no...

Pollo_loco
Mar 6, 2001, 04:47 AM
Yes, Frank Herbert is an amazing writer. Sadly, his son didn't take after him. Another good writer is Umberto Eco (wrote, Foucalt's Pendulum, The Name of the Rose, and The Island of the Day Before). Anyway, you know about Dune, and I don't want to spoil any of the Eco stories for your if you decide to pick them up.

Phantasmal
Mar 6, 2001, 04:54 AM
Personally, I like Issac Asimov's Caves of Steel/Robots of Dawn series...

Also as a big cyberpunk fan, I read a lot of Gibson as well but Asimov does it for me...

Samuel-Vimes
Mar 6, 2001, 09:46 PM
Best series of books?

My vote would go to Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. More specifically the Discworld novels concerning the Ankh-Morpork Guards. These books have a witty and very sarcastic humour that I truly enjoy.

BTW, my name is derived from a character from the series.

Sciler
Mar 7, 2001, 02:27 PM
<font face=times new roman color=red>Well, teh only book series that has truely made me happy and love reading it over and over is Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series<center>

Neojin
Mar 7, 2001, 02:32 PM
Ender...why does that sound familiar. Where those written by Orson Scott Card? I cant for the life of me remember the name of the book by him I read but I know its one of my favorites hehe. Also the works of Ray Bradbury, and Frank Herbert.

Sadly not since Jr. High have I gotten to read many books that I wanted to. In high school any books I read for for Reports and such and with Football and Work there wasnt any spare time for a good book. And with college when i wasnt craming for a paper I was partying, lol. I need to go back to college though I do miss the educational part believe it or not.

Should of said no to the job, and stayed in college but my job made some nice offers and hopefully they will be sending me back here soon.

I'm sorry did I go off the topic? hehe http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif

Neojin
Mar 7, 2001, 02:32 PM
Hi, ignore me I am an idiot for posting twice.

Thank you.

You may scream at me all you wish.

This post has been awarded the
http://www.stupid.com/giftshop/after.jpg

sucker award.

Note: I only pick on neo like this for double posting http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_cool.gif

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Ambrai on 2001-03-07 11:41 ]</font>

Ambrai
Mar 7, 2001, 02:46 PM
Best of all time? My money goes to the MASSIVE Dragonlance Series by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

This is why.

For one its the only series that has ever made me cry for like 20 minutes. My girlfriend thought someone died irl...

The series starts at Soulforge that is a book released after the chronicles. It tells the tale of Raistlin as a child and how he grew up to be the person he is. Then there is the Battle of Brothers (think this is the title, just released) which follows after the soulforge.

Then is the Chronicles where all friends join together on an Epic tale that makes lord of the rings pale in comparison.

After that is the Legends series, which tells the tale of what happened after Chronicles with Raistlin attempting to become a God.

The entire series is just amazing.

To recap since I think I was rambling. The order is

Soulforge
Battle of the Brothers
Chronicles (3 books)
Legends (3 books)

For a total of 8 books http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_cool.gif.

Samuel-Vimes
Mar 7, 2001, 04:24 PM
The original series of Dragonlance novels were definitely good, but not a series that I can read more than once.

Why? Probably because I normally prefer stories that have a lighter feel to it. Hence, the Discworld series. And because **SPOILER**
Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman killed Sturm in Dragons of Winter Night by Kitara and also effectively ending the ties that binded him and Ahlana, Silvanesti Elf Princess (name is proabably wrong, been a few years). Brought tears to my eyes as he was my favorite character in the series.

Zephyr
Mar 7, 2001, 06:13 PM
Actually the best stuff Weis and Hickman ever wrote was the 7 Death Gate novels. Good stuff...

Ambrai
Mar 7, 2001, 07:03 PM
I used to think that til I read Chronicals. Haplo was awesome in DGC

Drake
Mar 7, 2001, 08:06 PM
Terry Pratchett's Discworld, without a doubt. It's the funniest and most brilliantly written series I've ever had the privilege of reading. If you like comedic fantasy, it's a godsend; if you don't... it may well change your mind. ^^;

wetmouse
Mar 8, 2001, 12:03 AM
Is this only for Sci-fi books? Because I would have to say the best book ever is Ralph Ellison's "Invisible Man" which is anything but Sci-fi.

http://www14.brinkster.com/djwetmouse/art/fbanner.jpg

RedVento
Mar 8, 2001, 06:31 PM
I have to agree the Dragonlance books where good. As were the Death Gate books also by Hicks and Weissman.. Piers Anthony's Bio of a Space Ogre is good series.. Moorcookes Elric is another personal favorite.. Eddings has a series called the Bellgeriad and another called the Mallorean which are also really good.. The Deathstalker series is another great one.. too many to list.. can't pick favorite.. head hurts now...

Pollo_loco
Mar 8, 2001, 09:53 PM
J.D. Salinger. Nine Stories; Franny and Zooey; Raise High the Roofbeam, Carpenters; Catcher In the Rye. But I'm a morose bastard. What else? Aldous Huxley, Brave New World; William Golding, Lord of the Flies; Cervantes, Don Quixote; Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness; Emily Dickinson, Final Harvest (collection of poetry); E.E. Cummins, collected poems; Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar... whatever else I wasn't forced to read in high school and university... all good books. I can't pick a favourite, dammit. I'd say more.

evad_nekots
Mar 14, 2001, 08:24 PM
Piers Anthony with the Incarnations of Immoratily. Its a good series and has alot of paradoxes and such. Of course I am very vague right now but I would check it out.

Book 1: On a Pale Horse
Book 2:Bearing an hourglass
Book 3:With a tangled skein
Book 4: Wielding the Red sword
Book 5: Being a Green Mother
Book 6: For love of evil
Book 7: And Eternity

EDekar
Mar 15, 2001, 03:58 PM
I'm going to have to go with the Death Gate Cycle personally. I do like to read the Xanth series by Piers Anthony when I want something more humorous, though. Hmmm...what else...

Oh yes, the Renshai series. Not a better sword-fighters book on the planet. Plus it's chock-full of Norse mythology and all kinds of other good stuff. I love the Renshai series....I even have a character I consider to be Renshai. It's by Mary Zucker Reichert.

Esain
Mar 15, 2001, 04:09 PM
I must say that the Belgariad and the Malloean is two of the best series around.

With swords, sorcery, and humor, need I say more?