PDA

View Full Version : What's the cheapest laptop that can run PSO2?

pikachief
Nov 10, 2012, 01:31 PM
Yea yea, I know, USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION. I tried. I'm terrible at it.

My laptop that could barely run PSO2 died a couple months ago. I finally can get another one but i dont really have any money at all for it either. Because of money I'm just going to look for a laptop with an integrated video card that's just good enough to run PSO2 smoothly.

My dad's cheap ACER NetTop with an Intel Atom CPU and an Nvidia Ion GPU runs PSO2, very poorly and only at a playable FPS in a 1-4 party lol but it runs...

My old laptop was also under the minimum requirements and ran it at the lowest graphics.

Basically, Is there a cheap intergrated graphics card lap top that has the minimum requirements for PSO2?? Please help :D thanks

Blastifyys
Nov 10, 2012, 04:43 PM
only if i new i too ran the game on the lowst settings and i hated it because nothingggg but lagggg espically in the city and we got a burst when i tried to pick something up it took 15mins for it to respond but in 5 weeks ill have a gaming laptop that can run on maxx settingsssss!

MissMalice
Nov 10, 2012, 04:47 PM
A guy came to the forums a couple months ago with the same question. If I remember right, he wanted to find a laptop for his wife so she could play while she was hospitalized. The laptop he ended up buying could run PSO2 on max settings, but I'll need to go digging through the dead threads to find it. xD

Edit: Found it! (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2845071&postcount=39) But it looks like the laptop he bought has been discontinued. =/ I suppose you can at least browse through that thread for the other laptops people posted. There was quite a few.

pikachief
Nov 10, 2012, 06:25 PM
could this work?

http://www.costco.com/HP-Pavilion-g7z-Laptop%2c-AMD-Dual-Core-A6-4400M-2.6GHz.product.100015167.html

Dinosaur
Nov 10, 2012, 06:27 PM
Yea yea, I know, USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION. I tried. I'm terrible at it.

My laptop that could barely run PSO2 died a couple months ago. I finally can get another one but i dont really have any money at all for it either. Because of money I'm just going to look for a laptop with an integrated video card that's just good enough to run PSO2 smoothly.

My dad's cheap ACER NetTop with an Intel Atom CPU and an Nvidia Ion GPU runs PSO2, very poorly and only at a playable FPS in a 1-4 party lol but it runs...

My old laptop was also under the minimum requirements and ran it at the lowest graphics.

Basically, Is there a cheap intergrated graphics card lap top that has the minimum requirements for PSO2?? Please help :D thanks

If you're asking for this kind of help, it is necessary to tell us how much money you can spend. So please do so and I will be able to show you exactly what you're looking for.

pikachief
Nov 10, 2012, 06:30 PM
around $600-$500

EDIT: but so far im looking at the one in that link. Can it run PSO2?

Chik'Tikka
Nov 10, 2012, 06:37 PM
^ this, as for a laptop that can run with integrated, 3rd gen ivy bridge intels (i5/i7) an run PSO2 with simple shaders just fine, AMD A-10 mobile CPUs should do the same, both are 2011-2012 CPUs with integrated GPUs on the CPU die+^_^+ but without a budget limit, it's hard for us to make recommendations+^_^+ *ninjad by OP*

MissMalice
Nov 10, 2012, 06:40 PM
WINDOWS 8, DO NOT WANT.

Seriously Windows 8 is horrible. To help narrow down your search, look for something without Windows 8.

pikachief
Nov 10, 2012, 06:43 PM
Yes I understand Windows 8 is terrible but I'm pretty sure it'll be a bit difficult to find a non-Windows 8 computer at the moment.

Chik'Tikka
Nov 10, 2012, 06:43 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215663
$529, should run mid-high settings for PSO2+^_^+ don't know if it has Win 8 (should stay away, a lot of 3rd party softwares, including PSO2, don't officially support it yet or write .dlls for it) but what can ya do?? most retailers are pulling PCs off the self and installing 8 in them...

Dinosaur
Nov 10, 2012, 06:45 PM
The first laptop will get you 30-50 FPS at low settings. Any higher settings will result in below 30 FPS(unplayable). Chik'Tikka's recommendation is a better choice.

Ezodagrom
Nov 10, 2012, 06:47 PM
$529, should run mid-high settings for PSO2+^_^+ don't know if it has Win 8 (should stay away, a lot of 3rd party softwares, including PSO2, don't officially support it yet or write .dlls for it) but what can ya do?? most retailers are pulling PCs off the self and installing 8 in them...
Probably can't get better than that for that price, unfortunately it comes with Win 8.

pikachief
Nov 10, 2012, 06:52 PM

yea its windows 8. I don't think i'll be able to find a non-windows 8 computer. But thank you!

Actually... my dad's buying this for me (he kind of owes me it haha) and he insists on getting it from Costco for their warranty. Is is that one in that link or any of the others from that site look acceptable? or is the NewEgg one so much better that those arent really worth it?

EDIT: ninja'd thanks guys!!

EDIT2: yea he's insisting on Costco for their 3-year warranty. So I guess I'm stuck with that one D:

Chik'Tikka
Nov 10, 2012, 07:01 PM
yea its windows 8. I don't think i'll be able to find a non-windows 8 computer. But thank you!

Actually... my dad's buying this for me (he kind of owes me it haha) and he insists on getting it from Costco for their warranty. Is is that one in that link or any of the others from that site look acceptable? or is the NewEgg one so much better that those arent really worth it?

EDIT: ninja'd thanks guys!!

EDIT2: yea he's insisting on Costco for their 3-year warranty. So I guess I'm stuck with that one D:

only saw like 4 laptops on costco between the $500-600 price range, out of those, only this one http://www.costco.com/ENVY-14-2136NR-Laptop-Intel%C2%AE-Core%E2%84%A2-i5-2430M-Processor-2.40GHz-Backlit-Keyboard.product.11767751.html ,$599, has it's own GPU with it's own VRAM and could probably handle PSO2 at mid settings, maybe high (not too familiar with mobile Radeons, sometimes they name the IGP one like a seperate one)

pikachief
Nov 10, 2012, 07:17 PM
Thanks! you guys are great. May get that Envy if they have it tomorrow. THat one's also Windows 7 it seems. Thanks a lot and I hope to see you all online soon :D

Ezodagrom
Nov 10, 2012, 07:52 PM
only saw like 4 laptops on costco between the $500-600 price range, out of those, only this one http://www.costco.com/ENVY-14-2136NR-Laptop-Intel%C2%AE-Core%E2%84%A2-i5-2430M-Processor-2.40GHz-Backlit-Keyboard.product.11767751.html ,$599, has it's own GPU with it's own VRAM and could probably handle PSO2 at mid settings, maybe high (not too familiar with mobile Radeons, sometimes they name the IGP one like a seperate one)
When it comes to graphics, that Envy laptop is almost as good as the Acer in Newegg, the HD7670M and HD6630M use the same graphics core, the only differences are the core clock (500MHz for HD6630M, 600MHz for HD7670M), and the memory (HD6630M uses only DDR3 memory at 800MHz, HD7670M may use either DDR3 or GDDR5 memory at 900MHz).

Chik'Tikka
Nov 10, 2012, 08:00 PM
ah ok, yeah, i got my slider at 4 with some additional stuff in game turned on, GT 540M ddr3 with core at 795 MHz, mem at 1045MHz and i get about 50 FPS average+^_^+ perfectly playable, so the 6630m should do just fine+^_^+

Nameh
Nov 10, 2012, 08:33 PM
Wow, last time I checked it was $499. ;)

White
Nov 11, 2012, 12:05 AM
What else do you guys have? I was looking into getting a laptop to play this game since mine is outdated, but the "Will my Computer run this Thread" is somewhat less helpful than I imagined. I don't mind paying a little bit more, but I would like something that can play on max settings...

Ezodagrom
Nov 11, 2012, 01:58 AM
What else do you guys have? I was looking into getting a laptop to play this game since mine is outdated, but the "Will my Computer run this Thread" is somewhat less helpful than I imagined. I don't mind paying a little bit more, but I would like something that can play on max settings...
Depends on how much you're willing to play, but here's 2 options.

$699:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152378

$899:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834310660

White
Nov 11, 2012, 02:58 AM
Re: White's post

This is probably the shortest answer I can give you, and yeah, I know it's long.

Define your "a little bit more" in terms of a dollar value. Gaming laptops are getting a lot cheaper, but that only goes so far. For something which will comfortably run PSO2 looking very nice with a decent-sized screen (15+), you're probably looking for something in the $800-900ish range. It won't be 60 FPS constantly, but it will still look very good and have an acceptable framerate at essentially all times. And it should run most other games you'd want decently well.

In terms of basic component breakdown, if you're going Intel-NVidia, any decentish i5 will do for processor. Almost no PC games today are CPU-bottlenecked with the exception of a few weird ones (Minecraft under certain conditions). Really, buying an i7 just for gaming is like putting an oven in your laptop for no reason. For GPU, any decent 500M series GPU from NVidia will do. This is one generation behind the latest gen for NVidia. Any 500M you get in a modern laptop will come with at least 1GB of physical memory and solid clocks, which is more than adequate for PSO2. Also, a lot of mid-range gaming laptops have 600 series chips which are basically repackaged 500 series, just with higher clocks. You might get one of those, too.

Very important: where and what to buy. I would warn you away from the huge brands, right off the bat. Most are outright overpriced and a waste of money. Dells are _sometimes_ smart buys, but only at _very specific_ points in a product's life cycle. I'm not going to go into the why. If you don't have an eye for what components are actually worth how much, avoid them too. I would also avoid major retailers.

I'd go for an online retailer which specializes in gaming computers, one which gives you myriad choices, specific hardware breakdowns, and (most importantly) instant price quotes adjusted to your customization. xoticpc is currently one of the best in this sector. From there, look for specific brands which have a current and relevant reputation as a good maker of gaming laptops. Asus, MSI, and Sager are my default recommendations. They offer some notebooks with solid power and _great_ value, if you pick carefully. These brands also frequently have aggressive discounting during holidays.

Shop around at xoticpc. Find something decent. Easy recommendation? NP3265 from Sager. I'd upgrade the memory to 8GB for $30, maybe get better thermal compound for I think $25 (It's a decent buy, usually lowers temps by around 3 degrees). If you don't have an usable OS CD, then you'll need to grab OS for $80. That's $884 with OS and 804 without it. Wait until Black Friday, look for promotions. You might shave a considerable amount off that.

But really, go with whatever is most aggressively promoted which still meets your hardware requirements and price requirements.
Thanks a bunch! That made it really easy for me to understand. You really nailed everything I wanted to inquire about and at a fairly affordable price. Going to bookmark this post for later.

Ezodagrom
Nov 11, 2012, 09:30 AM
Any 500M you get in a modern laptop will come with at least 1GB of physical memory and solid clocks, which is more than adequate for PSO2.
I must note something here, not every 500M or 600M graphics are decent, I recommend going for GT445M or higher, GT555M (only the 2GB version) or higher, or GT645M or higher.

Tyruka
Nov 11, 2012, 10:17 AM
^^ I use Windows 7, the only time I lag is in the lobby, or during a multiple emergency codes, which takes like 5min for it to 'completed' 'finish' or picking stuff up 1-2min later. but its all good im used to it hehe.

ZeGoose
Nov 11, 2012, 11:36 AM
Build a desktop if you have no need for mobility or use your older laptop for your mobile needs.

Meta77
Nov 11, 2012, 12:20 PM
whats a good desktop that can run it at full power? Thinking of asking for one at Christmas.

Chik'Tikka
Nov 11, 2012, 01:25 PM
I must note something here, not every 500M or 600M graphics are decent, I recommend going for GT445M or higher, GT555M (only the 2GB version) or higher, or GT645M or higher.

ditto, the 540M is OK, and i get 30+ FPS 99% (usually 40-60) of the time, but it gets a little warm, i also OC mine a bit+^_^+ (which can be done thru Nvidia or other programs like afterburner, but only by about 10-15%, mobile 500 series Nvidia don't like it's memory touched much at all, just make sure you have adequate cooling)+^_^+ oh, and one more thing, avoid Nvidia Optimus if you can, it's a terrible hardware feature that's very hard to overcome, it shares the same buffer as the integrated CPU IGP so many programs will think your using an Intel graphics set and may auto restrict options, PSO2 did this until an update in September forcing me to only render 5 character models at any time, on the plus side, once you get over Optimus hurdles, it's nice to be able to run Aero and other programs like Skype and your browser off the Intel chip so that PSO2 gets all the 540Ms resources+^_^+

whats a good desktop that can run it at full power? Thinking of asking for one at Christmas.

you can build something that will overkill PSO2 for around $600, but you should tell us how much your willing to spend (your budget), as well as things you might want in it, like blu-ray drive, extra storage, SSD, etc. +^_^+

White
Nov 11, 2012, 02:30 PM
So what would you guys recommend? The one banjo recommended seems pretty good, but I'm not exactly super savvy in this department. Something around the $1000 range because anything more than that is kinda pushing it for me.

Ezodagrom
Nov 11, 2012, 02:37 PM
So what would you guys recommend? The one banjo recommended seems pretty good, but I'm not exactly super savvy in this department. Something around the $1000 range because anything more than that is kinda pushing it for me.
Posted this in the previous page, the specifications of this laptop are rather nice, it costs $899:

White
Nov 11, 2012, 03:14 PM
Posted this in the previous page, the specifications of this laptop are rather nice, it costs $899:
How does windows 8 do with gaming?

TheszNuts
Nov 11, 2012, 04:12 PM
My laptop that could barely run PSO2 died a couple months ago.

Was wondering what had happened :(

Ezodagrom
Nov 11, 2012, 04:56 PM
How does windows 8 do with gaming?
No idea, I don't like Windows 8 and don't want to use it, but unfortunately alot of laptops are now coming with Windows 8 instead of 7.
There's still a few that come with Windows 7, like the one in the link below, but the graphics card is not as good as the Lenovo laptop:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152339

White
Nov 11, 2012, 05:03 PM
No idea, I don't like Windows 8 and don't want to use it, but unfortunately alot of laptops are now coming with Windows 8 instead of 7.
There's still a few that come with Windows 7, like the one in the link below, but the graphics card is not as good as the Lenovo laptop:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152339
Is it really that bad of a tradeoff? I've taken a look at windows 8 and it already makes me want to shoot myself.

Ezodagrom
Nov 11, 2012, 06:20 PM
Is it really that bad of a tradeoff? I've taken a look at windows 8 and it already makes me want to shoot myself.
The difference between GT650M and GTX660M isn't big, they use the same graphics core, the only difference between them is that the GT650M has slightly lower clocks.

My personal opinion, I would rather have a little bit weaker graphics card than having to deal with Windows 8. ^^;

I can't say that it can run PSO2 at max settings completely smoothly though, it's possible that you might have to play maybe in the 4th preset for a more smooth experience (I could be wrong, I don't have much experience with recent Nvidia cards), but it's hard to get much better from a laptop for that price, especially from a laptop that comes with Windows 7.

White
Nov 11, 2012, 06:40 PM
The difference between GT650M and GTX660M isn't big, they use the same graphics core, the only difference between them is that the GT650M has slightly lower clocks.

My personal opinion, I would rather have a little bit weaker graphics card than having to deal with Windows 8. ^^;

I can't say that it can run PSO2 at max settings completely smoothly though, it's possible that you might have to play maybe in the 4th preset for a more smooth experience (I could be wrong, I don't have much experience with recent Nvidia cards), but it's hard to get much better from a laptop for that price, especially from a laptop that comes with Windows 7.
But it's soooooo beautiful! Ah, well. As long as I can play it and play it well. I bet fullscreen it's awesome.

drixil
Nov 11, 2012, 07:06 PM
I recently bought an ACER Aspire 7560G-7622 for about $550 on newegg, it runs PSO2 perfectly and I've had little to no trouble with almost any other game I try playing.

pikachief
Nov 12, 2012, 02:48 AM
I ended up getting the cheaper, $500 laptop. Windows 8. Runs the game perfectly smooth at 1600x900 resolution at Graphics lvl 3. I'll try to see what's the most I can get out of it tomorrow. It took about 9 hours to get everything downloaded X.x I'm going to bed hahaha

Aeris
Nov 12, 2012, 03:23 AM

I have a Geforce GTX 260M that can nearly run PSO2 at max settings at 720p, i can't do 1080p due to hardware limitations even with the HDMI output i have on the laptop, also another bottleneck that its a dual core which gives me some random issues in mpa's i join and lobby with loads of people which is choppy music and some choppy slowdown.

Zethswey
Nov 13, 2012, 04:04 PM
Dude just get a desktop Cpu.

Blastifyys
Nov 13, 2012, 05:58 PM
alrighty guys can someone tell me if this is worth it and if it can run pso2 on max settings because i want to make sure i know what im buying! i have rtead everysingle psot and look at everysingle laptop recommendations that have been posted but my friend has this laptop and from what he tells me its great.
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X6-9120_Gaming_Notebook/

Blastifyys
Nov 13, 2012, 06:54 PM
oh how Nice know one wants to help me

Link1275
Nov 13, 2012, 06:56 PM
alrighty guys can someone tell me if this is worth it and if it can run pso2 on max settings because i want to make sure i know what im buying! i have rtead everysingle psot and look at everysingle laptop recommendations that have been posted but my friend has this laptop and from what he tells me its great.
It should at least run it, I'm not very savvy at how good parts are though. The I7 might trip up just because it's an Intel though(I'm probably wrong about that though).

Ezodagrom
Nov 13, 2012, 07:04 PM
From that page it's better to go for this:
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X6-9700_Gaming_Notebook

Just change the memory to this:
8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 SODIMM Memory

And the hard drive to this:
750GB 7200RPM SATA300 Hard Drive

The total is a bit more, $969 instead of $899, but it'll get better performance in games than the one you posted, due to having a better graphics card (Geforce GT650M instead of GT640M).

drixil
Nov 13, 2012, 07:06 PM
It should at least run it, I'm not very savvy at how good parts are though. The I7 might trip up just because it's an Intel though(I'm probably wrong about that though).

I have AMD instead of Intel but my processor is only 1.5ghz and it runs PSO2 very smoothly (with a fair graphics card of course). I'm no expert either but in the end I think it just comes down to processing speeds if you're not looking to get the latest and greatest.

Blastifyys
Nov 13, 2012, 07:32 PM

The total is a bit more, $969 instead of $899, but it'll get better performance in games than the one you posted, due to having a better graphics card (Geforce GT650M instead of GT640M).
alright then thanks ezodagrom for the help i will get the one you said and make the changes my budget is 1100 so the extra money i guess will be saved

Smithee
Nov 13, 2012, 08:26 PM
CPU
Minimum: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 or higher (AMD Athlon X2 5000+ or higher)

OS
Minimum: Windows XP 32bit Edition, Windows Vista/7 32bit or 64bit

Video Card
Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT or higher (ATI X1800/1900 or higher)

Free Disk Space
Minimum: 8 GB
I don't know if this was resolved but this should help

Aeris
Nov 13, 2012, 08:48 PM
I have AMD instead of Intel but my processor is only 1.5ghz and it runs PSO2 very smoothly (with a fair graphics card of course). I'm no expert either but in the end I think it just comes down to processing speeds if you're not looking to get the latest and greatest.

I am guessing thats a quad core and thats when its idle since AMD wanted to show their idle processing speeds on laptops rather then the top speed, it goes up when something cpu intensive starts up.

Blastifyys
Nov 13, 2012, 08:57 PM

ezodagrom the one you posted with the changes made to it you said to do will that be able to run pso2 max settings. the two main games i will be playing is pso2 and Blade and soul i have looked into it and i can rum blade and soul smoothly but since the requirements of pso2 is kinda low---->(my 2008 laptop ran it on the lowst of settings but still ran it) i wanna be able to run pso2 on max settings and blade and soul smooth

Meta77
Nov 13, 2012, 09:05 PM
Ah yea i was looking to spend about 500-600

Ezodagrom
Nov 13, 2012, 09:36 PM
ezodagrom the one you posted with the changes made to it you said to do will that be able to run pso2 max settings. the two main games i will be playing is pso2 and Blade and soul i have looked into it and i can rum blade and soul smoothly but since the requirements of pso2 is kinda low---->(my 2008 laptop ran it on the lowst of settings but still ran it) i wanna be able to run pso2 on max settings and blade and soul smooth
It should be capable of running at max settings, but I'm not sure if the framerate will be 100% smooth.
Depending on the resolution, it should be enough for graphics preset 5 or 4.
Can't say anything about Blade & Soul though.

For a more capable laptop, that would have to be between $1100~$1200.

Blastifyys
Nov 13, 2012, 10:41 PM
It should be capable of running at max settings, but I'm not sure if the framerate will be 100% smooth.
Depending on the resolution, it should be enough for graphics preset 5 or 4.
Can't say anything about Blade & Soul though.

For a more capable laptop, that would have to be between $1100~$1200.
well my budget is around 1100 to 1200 so is there anyothers that will run it on max settings for sure i want to make sure i can run it on max settings to get the best experince i can out of the games that i will play so if theres a better gaming notebook in that range of my budget let me know.

Blastifyys
Nov 13, 2012, 10:57 PM
well i guess there is no other gaming notebook other than the one that ezodagrom posted in the range to run pso2 max settings.

Aeris
Nov 13, 2012, 11:03 PM
All depends on the hardware they have, mostly the 600M series can play PSO2 at max with 1080p atm.

Link1275
Nov 13, 2012, 11:05 PM
well i guess there is no other gaming notebook other than the one that ezodagrom posted in the range to run pso2 max settings.
I'm sure there is, people just haven't posted it yet. "Patience young padawan."-Yoda

Ezodagrom
Nov 13, 2012, 11:06 PM
well my budget is around 1100 to 1200 so is there anyothers that will run it on max settings for sure i want to make sure i can run it on max settings to get the best experince i can out of the games that i will play so if theres a better gaming notebook in that range of my budget let me know.
This:
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X6-9500_Gaming_Notebook

The memory and hard drive is the same thing as before, use the following ones:
- 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 SODIMM Memory
- 750GB 7200RPM SATA300 Hard Drive

It costs $1172 with the changes, the graphics card in this laptop, the Geforce GTX670M is considerably better than the GT650M. Also, you can get a coupon for the game Borderlands 2 for free with this laptop.

All depends on the hardware they have, mostly the 600M series can play PSO2 at max with 1080p atm.
That is not true, not all of them can handle PSO2 at max settings at 1080p, for example, the Geforce 610M would only be able to handle minimum settings, maybe 2nd preset at best.

Blastifyys
Nov 13, 2012, 11:08 PM
I'm sure there is, people just haven't posted it yet. "Patience young padawan."-Yoda
aww patience is the key.

Mr-Phelps
Nov 14, 2012, 09:31 AM
This is the laptop I'm using (http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Gamers-G75VW-AS71-17-3-Inch-Gaming/dp/B007MW73C2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352902849&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+g75vw), actually went down in price as well. All I have is the benchmark to test, but it can run max settings pretty smoothly.