PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 America beta?

Link_of_Hyrule
Nov 12, 2012, 10:08 PM
Has there been any mention of them beta testing the English version of PSO2? Or are they just going to release the translated version of it without a beta?

Lostbob117
Nov 12, 2012, 10:14 PM
No clue, I believe they will have a demo like they had for psu though just have to wait.

Miwako
Nov 13, 2012, 02:26 AM
They haven't updated anything anywhere. It's like they made an english FB and haven't said a word on it since PAX (that was a long time ago!). When people ask why they won't post any news or anything they delete it right away... Seems they don't like sharing info like they said they would.

untrustful
Nov 13, 2012, 03:19 AM
I don't think there will be a beta for the game since SoA just gets a working game right off the bat and just needs to translate it.

Macras
Nov 13, 2012, 03:25 AM
the only scary uncertainty right now is what amount of the current content will be available at launch...

Tomeeboy
Nov 13, 2012, 03:30 AM
I don't think there will be a beta for the game since SoA just gets a working game right off the bat and just needs to translate it.

I think they will have one, personally. These days in the gaming industry, "betas" are used more for marketing than actual testing. It's a good way to reel in players ;)

There are other reasons for having one as well, such as staggering the initial player rush (get people to download the client early on so the servers aren't slammed on launch day) and also for testing the servers out, in general.

Sp-24
Nov 13, 2012, 07:16 AM
Yup, "open/closed beta" and other supposedly developer-exclusive things are more of a marketing move these days. PSO2 itself had both, and even "alpha", as if that wasn't enough. Capcom has even let fans "develop" Mega Man Legends 3, though that one didn't go very well. Anyway, I think they won't have an alpha test this time, but a closed beta to make some people feel special is very likely.

Ezodagrom
Nov 13, 2012, 08:20 AM
I think they will have one, personally. These days in the gaming industry, "betas" are used more for marketing than actual testing. It's a good way to reel in players ;)

There are other reasons for having one as well, such as staggering the initial player rush (get people to download the client early on so the servers aren't slammed on launch day) and also for testing the servers out, in general.
Game that isn't about Sonic...marketing...SEGA of America...

Even though they took control over the official PSO2 Facebook page, throughout that page's lifetime, SEGA of Japan actually made more posts in english in that page than SEGA of America...

Sp-24
Nov 13, 2012, 08:24 AM
Then again: SEGA of America, outdated content. And there is no better excuse for a barebones version of a game that is currently booming with stuff in Japan than "hey, it's just a beta, what did you expect?".

firefiore
Nov 13, 2012, 09:20 AM
the only scary uncertainty right now is what amount of the current content will be available at launch...

I took a good look at the PSO2 Western website, and it looks as though it is just first release PSO2 content (what came out at first on Japan-side). I'll say this though, I'm going to invent a drinking game from the user shop economy. You take a shot of vodka every time the price for monomates increases by ten thousand meseta.

Chik'Tikka
Nov 13, 2012, 10:58 AM
I took a good look at the PSO2 Western website, and it looks as though it is just first release PSO2 content (what came out at first on Japan-side). I'll say this though, I'm going to invent a drinking game from the user shop economy. You take a shot of vodka every time the price for monomates increases by ten thousand meseta.

lolz, if it is going to be same content as day 1 Japan, then i might play a bit, if only because i know how the economy will flow+^_^+ (proceeds to spend all money earned on AC stuff, then when exchange shop gets updated, waits 3 months and sellz for millions)+^_^+ but, i think I'll stick JP side, even though AC is almost unattainable now+^_^+

firefiore
Nov 13, 2012, 12:29 PM
See future US players, this is the kind of ambition you will NEED when you begin playing PSO2 US. If nothing else passes into what you call a brain, then understand the previous poster's advice and use as the economy inflates.

EvilMag
Nov 13, 2012, 01:36 PM
Game that isn't about Sonic...marketing...SEGA of America...

Even though they took control over the official PSO2 Facebook page, throughout that page's lifetime, SEGA of Japan actually made more posts in english in that page than SEGA of America...

Pretty much this. Last update we got about PSO2 US was during PAX and ever since that, we haven't gotten any new news about PSO2 here. Goes to really show that SoA doesn't give a shit about this series.

samanh10
Nov 13, 2012, 10:50 PM
Have faith, PSO2 is doing way too well for SoA to ignore it. Im mad about no news as well but will continue biding my time until it eventually gets here!

Link_of_Hyrule
Nov 18, 2012, 04:31 AM
Well sad that there hasn't been any info I mean crap it's already November you think there would be a beta by now or at least some information about release in Jan or Feb.

Macman
Nov 18, 2012, 07:57 AM
English official release will probably have Japan CBT content, with monthly updates as opposed to Japan's bi-weekly updates. Calling it now.

Gama
Nov 18, 2012, 08:22 AM
wich they will try to explain the delay by saying tht the translations take time.

Macman
Nov 18, 2012, 08:26 AM
In a sense, yes.
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the initial release because maybe JUST MAYBE they're getting (decent?) voice acting done, and there's a LOT of voice clips to record for this game.

After that, though, all scrutiny is enabled at the update delays. Fans translate the entire menu system in a mere week (and any quest updates within days). There's no excuse that a 'professional' company should take longer than a group of about 10 fans.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the fans are also going through the trouble of cracking the file encryption every update to get this done, something SoA will not have to bother with.

Tenlade
Nov 18, 2012, 11:17 AM
I think the long delays, if anything, is due to the current "release" being bullshit. The english version comes out in spring when the vita does, where they reach a nice conclusion with the first major story. If anything, they're prolly wiating for the first set of story missions to get finished so they can have the voice actors give the lines for the entire game at once rather then stretched over a long period as each update comes out.

additionally, waiting until sega actually finishes the game makes sense if SOA wants to tweak it, especialy since SOJ hasnt gotten thier shit together and trying to tweak the game like better xp rates when the level 40-50 fiasco is going on would be a nightmare.

Finalzone
Nov 20, 2012, 04:13 PM
I think the long delays, if anything, is due to the current "release" being bullshit. The english version comes out in spring when the vita does, where they reach a nice conclusion with the first major story. If anything, they're prolly wiating for the first set of story missions to get finished so they can have the voice actors give the lines for the entire game at once rather then stretched over a long period as each update comes out.

additionally, waiting until sega actually finishes the game makes sense if SOA wants to tweak it, especialy since SOJ hasnt gotten thier shit together and trying to tweak the game like better xp rates when the level 40-50 fiasco is going on would be a nightmare.

PSO2 will be finished if there is no more update. International version needs to have fixed issue found on Japanese release. Updates need to be in sync, translation for several languages needed to be applied, servers need to be propagated. Better security needs to be implemented against brute force cheating instead of using Gameguard (there are alternative like Crisp for example).

D-Inferno
Nov 20, 2012, 05:32 PM
To be honest, SEGA has kind of been holding back parts of JP PSO2, likely as a way to make more money from AC. Datamined material from the Alpha proves that SEGA has been "slowly" adding premade content to the game. An example is skill trees getting updated less than a month after FI/GU/TE's release, just so SEGA can get more AC from those who want to buy new skill trees. At the same time, they also try to extend the game's "length" by adding things like that 90/90/90 quest (which gets nerfed later on once more content is added). At the end, we are pretty much playing a open beta with a cash system implanted.

This might be wishful thinking, but SEGA probably wants to finish milking the JP player base via slowly releasing premade content (as well as testing general gameplay elements) before releasing the game overseas, as well as before releasing the Vita version. After all, Sakai did say that they are going to "rebalance" the game in the US release.

Keii
Nov 20, 2012, 06:21 PM
At the end, we are pretty much playing a open beta with a cash system implanted.
Not really. MMORPGs are not finished products at any point in time - the constant rebalancing, adding new content etc. is a neverending cycle. Look how long WoW has been out there and despite that one of the core systems, the talent trees have been completely revamped for the Xth time right before the release of the last expansion pack. That's nothing new and it's not going to change, ever, so it'll always feel like an "open beta".

After all, Sakai did say that they are going to "rebalance" the game in the US release.
I'll believe it when I see it. NC Soft promised westernized Aion and I don't think they've changed anything from the Korean version. TERA did some tweaks in the PvP system (and censored Elins) but that was about it as far as the important changes go. I have yet to experience a truly "westernized" Asian MMO.

Kondibon
Nov 20, 2012, 07:41 PM
Not really. MMORPGs are not finished products at any point in time - the constant rebalancing, adding new content etc. is a neverending cycle. Look how long WoW has been out there and despite that one of the core systems, the talent trees have been completely revamped for the Xth time right before the release of the last expansion pack. That's nothing new and it's not going to change, ever, so it'll always feel like an "open beta".

I dissagree with this. While many games do go through large changes and are constantly being tweaked it's obvious that sega is holding back content for the expressed purpose of milking the players. Guild Wars 2 while having more than it's fair share of bugs here and there, had enough launch content to constitute as a complete game when it came out.

Sega has left out things that they really had no reason to leave out, and obviously balanced the game around, like the normal versions or tundra and mines. The levels for the matterboard drops are low enough that you can do the tundra drops in tundra normal, but it didn't exist, leading to players having to level up disproportionally to do it.

Then there was the whole exp fiasco that seemed to be intended specifically to keep people from getting to the level cap and complaining about "EXP FULL" untill the cap was raised again. People snapped at them naturally. Then there's like 90/90/90 COs. You could argue that it was just an oversight or poor balance but they did it TWICE when people were still complaining about the first time.

As far as I'm concerned, if the stuff is finished then that means they're holding back content to pad the game out. If it ISN'T finished then that means they released the game too early and are trying to make money off an incomplete game. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but I'd rather have a complete but buggy game than a well polished half of one.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with giving content in supplements, but the things they're doing to pad it out in the mean time show an obvious lack of planning in that regard, which adds to my feeling that they rushed the game out.

[Ayumi]
Nov 20, 2012, 09:22 PM
I dissagree with this. While many games do go through large changes and are constantly being tweaked it's obvious that sega is holding back content for the expressed purpose of milking the players. Guild Wars 2 while having more than it's fair share of bugs here and there, had enough launch content to constitute as a complete game when it came out.

Sega has left out things that they really had no reason to leave out, and obviously balanced the game around, like the normal versions or tundra and mines. The levels for the matterboard drops are low enough that you can do the tundra drops in tundra normal, but it didn't exist, leading to players having to level up disproportionally to do it.

Then there was the whole exp fiasco that seemed to be intended specifically to keep people from getting to the level cap and complaining about "EXP FULL" untill the cap was raised again. People snapped at them naturally. Then there's like 90/90/90 COs. You could argue that it was just an oversight or poor balance but they did it TWICE when people were still complaining about the first time.

As far as I'm concerned, if the stuff is finished then that means they're holding back content to pad the game out. If it ISN'T finished then that means they released the game too early and are trying to make money off an incomplete game. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but I'd rather have a complete but buggy game than a well polished half of one.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with giving content in supplements, but the things they're doing to pad it out in the mean time show an obvious lack of planning in that regard, which adds to my feeling that they rushed the game out.

You're, like, awesome.

Coatl
Nov 20, 2012, 09:27 PM
Guys my uncle who works in Sega says there won't be a NA PSO2 Beta.

Lumpen Thingy
Nov 20, 2012, 09:47 PM
Guys my uncle who works in Sega says there won't be a NA PSO2 Beta.

I think we have the same uncule

EvilMag
Nov 20, 2012, 09:49 PM
I think we have the same uncule

My uncle may of met your guys uncle. He told me the same thing.

Keii
Nov 21, 2012, 04:08 AM
Content-wise? Maybe. Balance/fixes-wise? Don't make me laugh, GW2 still bothers with tons of bugged dynamic events and it was like that a long time since the launch, feeling like the end content wasn't tested thoroughly. If I was to say which game felt more like beta, I'd say GW2, because of all those skill points you couldn't get and dynamic events which bugged out a few hours after maintenances.

Link_of_Hyrule
Nov 24, 2012, 03:42 AM
Maybe you should ask your uncle when they are going to release PSO2 in USA or at least when we are going to get more news on the matter lol.

eharima
Nov 24, 2012, 04:06 PM
He already posted on /vg/

Rien
Nov 25, 2012, 02:24 AM
In a sense, yes.
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the initial release because maybe JUST MAYBE they're getting (decent?) voice acting done, and there's a LOT of voice clips to record for this game.

Oh god, English voices.

No. :C

The only good english dubs I've ever heard for Japanese games were the Devil May Cry series and Bayonetta and that's because all the audio was done in English to begin with.

ZER0 DX
Nov 25, 2012, 02:58 AM
I'm half expecting them to not even bother dubbing it. The PAX demo still had the Japanese voices left intact for everything.

If they do, it'll probably be a rush job like PSP2 where they only voiced the cinematic cutscenes and left any text bubble cutscenes completely voiceless.

blace
Nov 25, 2012, 03:01 AM
To be fair, the game was still probably in the early stages of translation. Besides, it has been 3 months after PAX.

However, I'm not expecting anything stellar for voices as it isn't Sonic.

ZER0 DX
Nov 25, 2012, 03:19 AM
Sega found Nick Tagas to have such a thrilling performance as Ethan Waber, they're going to have him voice everything in PSO2. In Ethan's voice. Even Lisa.

EvilMag
Nov 25, 2012, 04:34 AM
Sega found Nick Tagas to have such a thrilling performance as Ethan Waber, they're going to have him voice everything in PSO2. In Ethan's voice. Even Lisa.

I always thought they are gonna get Chelesa's VA to voice Lisa. Bad french accent Lisa is so good! Ethan Waber will voice the rest.

Silver_Wyrm
Nov 25, 2012, 04:09 PM
I'm half expecting them to not even bother dubbing it. The PAX demo still had the Japanese voices left intact for everything.

If they do, it'll probably be a rush job like PSP2 where they only voiced the cinematic cutscenes and left any text bubble cutscenes completely voiceless.

this, if they are gonna rushjob it, just leave it be, easier for them, less painful for us.

Kondibon
Nov 25, 2012, 04:43 PM
Content-wise? Maybe. Balance/fixes-wise? Don't make me laugh, GW2 still bothers with tons of bugged dynamic events and it was like that a long time since the launch, feeling like the end content wasn't tested thoroughly. If I was to say which game felt more like beta, I'd say GW2, because of all those skill points you couldn't get and dynamic events which bugged out a few hours after maintenances.

Did you even read my post? I know GW2 is buggy, so are a lot of other big games. I never said anything about PSO2 feeling like a beta. It doesn't, it's very polished, like I said before, but it lacks content, content that they're obviously balancing the game for.

While I do agree the GW2 team is taking a while to fix those problems, let's not forget that the problems them selves didn't happen as much in the betas, and only really cropped up to a noticeable degree when the game actually released and there was an influx of players. Also the game as a whole is much larger than PSO2 is. Also, bugs are one thing, holding back content intentionally is something completely different.

When I said I felt they aren't planning well I meant specifically they didn't plan to partition the content like this. Basically I feel they're balancing the game around the final version at the end of the road map, not the current state the game is in.

I said that I'd rather have a buggy complete game than an incomplete game lacking in content. They kept balancing the game for content that isn't there yet, and that they could have added. I'm beginning to feel that game developers (or more likely their bosses) are getting stricter with deadlines because "Oh, we can just update stuff later".

Releasing a game with bugs is one thing, but holding back content you already finished just to keep players there to buy stuff longer is a bad sign, especially when I'm pretty sure they could have gotten away with just releasing new outfits instead of actual content anyway.

I'm still a bit miffed that there aren't client orders for the normal mode versions of tundra and everything after it, but that sounds like it would be a bother to balance so I don't blame them on that front and I'm glad enough to have the variety.

TL;DR: I feel there's a difference between a game having lots of bugs and a game lacking content it's balanced around.