PDA

View Full Version : When the English Version comes out..

Miraclearrow
Nov 27, 2012, 11:39 AM
Don't worry, this isn't a question of whether you're going to be playing or not. My question is:

Do you think that there will be a way you can take the English version of the game and patch it client side wise over parts of the Japanese game?

So in theory, you're just taking English parts of the game and patching it's client side (item name's, story etc.) all over into the Japanese version so you can remain on the JP servers (which are going to be better as well all talk about blah blah)

Otherwise, a way to take the English version but still connect to the JP servers!

Just interested in your thoughts.

untrustful
Nov 27, 2012, 12:22 PM
Don't think it works that way.

Link1275
Nov 27, 2012, 12:22 PM
Don't worry, this isn't a question of whether you're going to be playing or not. My question is:

Do you think that there will be a way you can take the English version of the game and patch it client side wise over parts of the Japanese game?

So in theory, you're just taking English parts of the game and patching it's client side (item name's, story etc.) all over into the Japanese version so you can remain on the JP servers (which are going to be better as well all talk about blah blah)

Otherwise, a way to take the English version but still connect to the JP servers!

Yes, and no. The reason most of are staying on the JP servers(content), would also mean that the International version's files would be incompatible.

Eman2417
Nov 27, 2012, 12:25 PM
Considering most things that are client sided are patched already.
Now if we could get server side...

eharima
Nov 27, 2012, 12:31 PM
fan support will most likely stop when the NA version comes out,

The client will be essentially the same, im sure there will be a CRC or encryption compatibility on the files to allocate localization, so when the game starts it will download and overwrite them.

how they go about it will have to wait and see what sega implements and when the time comes evaluate the tools and knowledge available to brute force the english files.

you'll have to wait and see.

Ezodagrom
Nov 27, 2012, 12:40 PM
fan support will most likely stop when the NA version comes out
A post from the guy that started the english patch:

Once the english version (or the beta of the english version) is released, we will most likely conform to it. It'll take a lot of the pressure off our beleaguered translators.

Keii
Nov 27, 2012, 12:54 PM

Things beside the story that aren't translated in the current unofficial patch, aside from the story, are stored server side. That's why changing the files when the Eng version comes out won't change anything in that regard.

Macman
Nov 27, 2012, 01:01 PM
Thankfully most item names are pretty much English words in Katakana. Once you start getting the hang of that, there really is nothing getting in your way from enjoying this outside of the story.

Vashyron
Nov 27, 2012, 01:58 PM
It'll help for remaining client sided things that are either "fluff" (Descriptions, NPC Autowords, etc) or currently a hassle. (Story and Event Tablets)

(Or heh, English release opens up the possibility of that if it's simple enough and people are bothered to do it, English Dub on JP.)

RagolianHunter
Nov 27, 2012, 03:58 PM
So there will no longer be a EN patch after EN version is released?

Vashyron
Nov 27, 2012, 04:59 PM
So there will no longer be a EN patch after EN version is released?

No. They plan to keep updating it after EN release.

Maronji
Nov 27, 2012, 06:10 PM
Well, obviously they can't just copy and paste the files from one version to another...

...but I suspect that they can break the files open (much like they're doing for the JP version), rip the text out, and paste it back into the JP version to have a similar effect. Not like that solves the problem with the story stuff in general being packed with almost 1GB+ of stuff that would be difficult (if not impossible) to distribute to everyone who's left by that point.

But yeah, they probably could do it.

superBlast
Nov 27, 2012, 06:19 PM
The only way I can think of them being able to translate items and server side stuff is if they do something like.... If the the server says to display "ははははははは!" then add something that tells the client to display "HAHAHAHAHA!" instead. Like covering up the Japanese part with English. It's still there but the English is overriding it.

Though Idk anything about that stuff so I'm assuming that they already thought of that and is either a huge pain in the ass to do or is just not possible for whatever reason.

Anyways.... if they can pretty much copy and paste the story for the EN version into the JP version then I'd have no reason to wanna move over to the EN version. Since the story is client side. I can deal with a little Japanese being everywhere and having no understanding of it. Knowing what the story is for myself is all I want out of the EN version.

Link1275
Nov 27, 2012, 06:28 PM
The only way I can think of them being able to translate items and server side stuff is if they do something like.... If the the server says to display "ははははははは!" then add something that tells the client to display "HAHAHAHAHA!" instead. Like covering up the Japanese part with English. It's still there but the English is overriding it.

Though Idk anything about that stuff so I'm assuming that they already thought of that and is either a huge pain in the ass to do or is just not possible for whatever reason.

Anyways.... if they can pretty much copy and paste the story for the EN version into the JP version then I'd have no reason to wanna move over to the EN version. Since the story is client side. I can deal with a little Japanese being everywhere and having no understanding of it. Knowing what the story is for myself is all I want out of the EN version.
That would completely screw up the game, you couldn't even connect to the server if you tried to mess with server side stuff. Gameguard would think you were a hacker and dc you.

superBlast
Nov 27, 2012, 06:34 PM
That's what i kinda figured... though what I'm thinking isn't doing anything at all to the server stuff... just adding stuff to the client and covering up server stuff.... but the point of gameguard is changing stuff with the client... but how does the English patch still get past gameguard? It's still changing the origanal client right?

I just always wondered that lol.

Maronji
Nov 27, 2012, 06:39 PM
That's what i kinda figured... though what I'm thinking isn't doing anything at all to the server stuff... just adding stuff to the client and covering up server stuff.... but the point of gameguard is changing stuff with the client... but how does the English patch still get past gameguard? It's still changing the origanal client right?

I just always wondered that lol.

GameGuard monitors the actual game executable(s); it also doesn't know if game files are being modified unless you're trying to modify them while the game is active (or, that's what I suspect, at least, and if you're trying to do that, you might as well stick your hand in a blender).

The alternative explanation is that it's not the same, as the other theory I have is that GameGuard is only capable of monitoring the game itself and not its internal data files.

Tcrusader51
Nov 27, 2012, 06:42 PM
Maybe it's just me but wouldn't it be good business to offer service for character data to be tranfered to the NA servers? The only issue is the fact that we don't know how much content will be given upon release and some player base crying how unfair it is that they got somewhat a head start. However, I don't know exactly how they handle their servers and data and also there is gameguard so it's just theory.

Anyways, I doubt any of us would be able to transfer such data on our own without being counted as hackers.

Maronji
Nov 27, 2012, 06:47 PM
Maybe it's just me but wouldn't it be good business to offer service for character data to be tranfered to the NA servers? The only issue is the fact that we don't know how much content will be given upon release and some player base crying how unfair it is that they got somewhat a head start. However, I don't know exactly how they handle their servers and data and also there is gameguard so it's just theory.

Anyways, I doubt any of us would be able to transfer such data on our own without being counted as hackers.

I'd guess upon "no".

I haven't usually seen server transfers to other servers in other games unless the server you're transferring from is closing or closed. Then again, I have relatively little exposure to online games in general compared to everything that's out there, so I could be wrong.

Regardless, this is Sega we're talking about. I wouldn't count on it.

superBlast
Nov 27, 2012, 06:49 PM
GameGuard monitors the actual game executable(s); it also doesn't know if game files are being modified unless you're trying to modify them while the game is active (or, that's what I suspect, at least, and if you're trying to do that, you might as well stick your hand in a blender).

The alternative explanation is that it's not the same, as the other theory I have is that GameGuard is only capable of monitoring the game itself and not its internal data files.

If either of your theories are right then my idea would work since the modification would be there before the game is even started up.

Maronji
Nov 27, 2012, 06:56 PM
If either of your theories are right then my idea would work since the modification would be there before the game is even started up.
...No, I don't think it would. Refer to the following:

That would completely screw up the game, you couldn't even connect to the server if you tried to mess with server side stuff. Gameguard would think you were a hacker and dc you.

This would happen as a result of having to hook something to the client to catch the packets that contain the information to be replaced on your screen. Do you have any idea how fast GameGuard would be on that? Besides, someone brought it up with the crew, and they didn't want to venture into that territory for similar reasons, anyway (if I remember correctly).

superBlast
Nov 27, 2012, 07:27 PM
Ah... now I see... then my assumption was right.... it's a big pain in the ass to attempt to get by gameguard. Atleast now I know why lol.