PDA

View Full Version : How to make friends?

Mushy2000
Dec 3, 2012, 05:50 AM
I'm used to soloing in mmo's joined a few clans here and there, but I was just wondering how can I connect with the community more in game? It seems psu's community was much more diverse and it seems the only americans playing are your typical internet people which tend to be boring imo. If everybody is in instances and nobody wants to talk in lobbies, how am I supposed to meet anyone?

Edit: my IGN is Mushy2000 on Ship 02

Noc Codez
Dec 3, 2012, 06:42 AM
We'll I joined a Team and we talk all the time.. lol As for making friends do the same thing you would do on PSU. Join a party say Hi and talk and make friends.. Everyone Iv'e met so far has been very nice so far.. hopefully that wont change.. lol^^;

but if you see me around send me a F/R i'll gladly be your friend :)

IGN: Nemesis
Ship: 02

domokun1134
Dec 3, 2012, 10:14 AM
I was wondering this too. This is my first MMO and I was surprised to rarely see people talking in the lobby. I did see a group of people talking once (about Sword Art Online no less) but I felt weird just walking up and joining in on the convo.

Revlis-Desilver
Dec 3, 2012, 10:29 AM
Exp full has a dedicated mumble server and we have a load of people on every night :) were always happy to meet like minded players.

server address expfullpodcast.mumble.com
Port 8321

go to mumble.com to download the pc client or use a smart phone there are apps available :)

domokun1134
Dec 3, 2012, 10:40 AM
Whoa! I had no idea there's a PSO2 podcast! Subscribed! I'll check out the mumble server too. Thanks.

Noc Codez
Dec 3, 2012, 10:56 AM
I was wondering this too. This is my first MMO and I was surprised to rarely see people talking in the lobby. I did see a group of people talking once (about Sword Art Online no less) but I felt weird just walking up and joining in on the convo.

Send me a friend request Domo.. would love to play with someone from my home town of NYC

Angelic Fae
Dec 3, 2012, 10:58 AM
Well I hate to sound arrogant but I pretty much always have a group with me, even if I don't want it. People these days seem attracted to negativity. I mean I'm an ass to pretty much everyone but they keep coming being nice has never really been my forte so I always thought folks would tell me to get lost but nah. Got a party of regulars in 3 days of playing.

General thing is be a jerk and you'll make friends.

Revlis-Desilver
Dec 3, 2012, 11:04 AM
Whoa! I had no idea there's a PSO2 podcast! Subscribed! I'll check out the mumble server too. Thanks.

no probs happy to be of service.

Mushy2000
Dec 3, 2012, 11:10 AM
Well I hate to sound arrogant but I pretty much always have a group with me, even if I don't want it. People these days seem attracted to negativity. I mean I'm an ass to pretty much everyone but they keep coming being nice has never really been my forte so I always thought folks would tell me to get lost but nah. Got a party of regulars in 3 days of playing.

No monster, you don't belong in this world.

jooozek
Dec 3, 2012, 11:15 AM
Whatever you do, look out for exploiters - SEGA announced that they are going to ban people who play with exploiters even if they themselves aren't exploiting. Would be pretty foolish to get banned so look out!

domokun1134
Dec 3, 2012, 11:19 AM
What are exploiters?

Reiketsu
Dec 3, 2012, 11:37 AM

Lol, this is so true...

The Walrus
Dec 3, 2012, 11:47 AM
Most of the friends I've made are afk people who came back to my irl friends and I doing a synchronized dance around them

domokun1134
Dec 3, 2012, 04:17 PM
Send me a friend request Domo.. would love to play with someone from my home town of NYC

Will do! What's your character name?

Link1275
Dec 3, 2012, 06:06 PM
What are exploiters?

Basically cheaters or hackers. In this case though, you will sometimes enter an MPA and see enemies dying all around you without giving any exp or items. You keep going on into the MPA, where you see damage numbers, and you find a group of people attacking a wall and a TON of items and exp just popping up everywhere. Those are RMT'ers. They are collecting stuff to sell. Basically snap a few photos(may want to turn off your HUD if you have a certain something installed), and report them. Then they make another account and keep doing it. Did I mention that they were all PC bots, aka a program designed to just play the game and cheat?

BIG OLAF
Dec 3, 2012, 06:14 PM
Also, be wary of the zerg-team(s) that will try to recruit you to their massive numbers.

Noblewine
Dec 3, 2012, 06:50 PM
I'm probably going to use PSO-W to meet and exchange cards. Advice for befriending people in game don't leech/mooch off of others. Avoid people who play like that or cheaters. Carry moon atomizers. People get butthurt if you don't rezz them though I had the same thing happen on psp2. =/

fires2dust
Dec 3, 2012, 10:19 PM
@Link1275 - Exploiters, huh.. O_O I-is that right... er... sometimes a friend and I venture into quieter channels to 2-man missions/quests and there was this one instance, I see Emergency Codes triggering, few seconds later it's over. At first I thought nothing of it but when one happened next to us and it finished without us seeing anybody around, we started getting suspicious and hightailed to the next area. @_@;

Ghosts in B-21...? >.>; No way... right? /notsrs but yeah, what happened ^ above is true. My friend and I can't be seeing things at the same time. Could be one of those, you think?

I joined PSO2 with a small group of people I knew from a previous MMO. We go on missions together sometimes but I guess that also limits some of us from meeting new people since we're already used to each other. ^^; I've met other people in Emergency Missions but have only given friend requests to a few. And some I add and never hear from again. Hmm.. or maybe I'm too serious about playing than thinking of starting a conversation in the middle of an EM.. D:

Is there a thread that lists most or all the existing English speaking teams? Can't seem to find one in the General Discussions... or maybe I'm just that blind. ^^;

Coatl
Dec 4, 2012, 12:12 AM
Be friends with Coatl.
:3
He makes for a very good friend.

Syklo
Dec 4, 2012, 04:10 AM
Be friends with Coatl.
:3
He makes for a very good friend.
IT'S A TRAP!

But really, I'd like some advice on making friends.....since I'm on ship 8, which hardly anyone on this forum play on.
Should I be concerned if a random japanese player joins my party while all my english autowords are ready?

And what should I do if I say hi to someone (if that's even ok)?

blace
Dec 4, 2012, 04:22 AM
IT'S A TRAP!

But really, I'd like some advice on making friends.....since I'm on ship 8, which hardly anyone on this forum play on.
Should I be concerned if a random japanese player joins my party while all my english autowords are ready?

And what should I do if I say hi to someone (if that's even ok)?
I have no idea what the Japanese players reactions are to english speaking players on other ships, but I can say the ones I've played with on ship 2 are very tolerable and friendly and even going out of their way to try and communicate.

You can use this thread (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195616) for some of the basic phrases needed or tell them you're not fluent in Japanese.

cruxader
Dec 4, 2012, 05:30 AM
im a frequent player who joins Japanese party and the only phrase i used were よろしく(nice to meet you) and ptありがとう(thanks for the party),and occasionally when they start talking to me i'll say ごめん、日本語わかりません(sorry,i don't know japanese). Doesn't help in making any friends though lol,btw im in ship10

jooozek
Dec 4, 2012, 05:38 AM
You should be worried of your perception by japanese only if you run in japanese MPAs while severely undergeared or messing around with Axeon. After running once 1 hour an MPA saw some fools join and run around in VH Ruins MPA with ungrinded normal mode rares and some japanese made a comment about that and shortly after those people joined and everyone left so I left too; checked party list, those people who were running the MPA with me made a new MPA passworded but didn't name the password.

Syklo
Dec 4, 2012, 06:49 AM
I have no idea what the Japanese players reactions are to english speaking players on other ships, but I can say the ones I've played with on ship 2 are very tolerable and friendly and even going out of their way to try and communicate.

You can use this thread (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195616) for some of the basic phrases needed or tell them you're not fluent in Japanese.
I know a bit of japanese but that isn't my concern.

Should I be worried to the extent that I should disable all my english autowords when a jp player joins my party?

And jooozek, sorry I couldn't comprehend what you wrote and didn't get your point....
But who's this "Axeon" person?

jooozek
Dec 4, 2012, 07:03 AM
I know a bit of japanese but that isn't my concern.

Should I be worried to the extent that I should disable all my english autowords when a jp player joins my party?

And jooozek, sorry I couldn't comprehend what you wrote and didn't get your point....
But who's this "Axeon" person?

People who run around with Axeons aka leeches.

Sir_Laguna
Dec 4, 2012, 10:15 AM
Honestly, I think the best thing to do would be to just put yourself out there (easer said than done, right?) Advertise yourself. Make sure people know you're interested in doing some runs. If someone's having a non-personal conversation in the lobby, chime in at a good time. Try not to feel too weird about it!

Or hell, just walk up and say hi. Had someone do that to me last night, and we shot the breeze. Break the ice with someone-- Ask questions like how they got their gear, or about their spec or play style. If they're rocking some sweet threads, tell 'em so!

If you're feeling productive (and/or violent), why not try an open party? Give your party a welcoming title and description that'll draw people in. Your mileage may vary, and it's granted that you run the risk of some of the more "unsavory" types joining, but you're also leaving the door open for other nice players you may not otherwise meet. You might have better luck with this if you start one on an Emergency Quest: that's how I formed my first full party the other night. They were a great group of people who kicked copious amounts of ass, and even stuck around to help me burn through some COs because they were just that cool of human beings.

A great time to strike up a conversation is between missions, right in the campship. I talked at good length there with my above party last night, and we had lots of dialogue about RA/Gunner skills that that was actually educational for all involved. We even discussed non-PSO subjects (Side note: Gotta find out where I can get some Beef Burgundy, because it sounds delicious!)

Sorry for the wall of text, but personally coming off of a 6-or-7-year hiatus, I'm once again in the same boat as the new guys and wanted to give some examples of what's worked for me so far. I can't stress my first point enough: Take the initiative, and throw yourself out there! And by posting in this thread, hey-- you're already doing that.

Please feel free to send me a friend request-- my info's below. I'm just a lowly Lv. 14 RA right now, but we can slay evil masses together and I'll help out however I can. :)

Miraclearrow
Dec 4, 2012, 10:18 AM
I just met all my friends, one time from joining there party and being polite, getting into the team, then making friends with all teamates. This is the second team, the first team i met in MPA. Most people are happy to meet other english speakers on ship 6 so we stick together ^^

domokun1134
Dec 4, 2012, 12:13 PM
You should be worried of your perception by japanese only if you run in japanese MPAs while severely undergeared or messing around with Axeon. After running once 1 hour an MPA saw some fools join and run around in VH Ruins MPA with ungrinded normal mode rares and some japanese made a comment about that and shortly after those people joined and everyone left so I left too; checked party list, those people who were running the MPA with me made a new MPA passworded but didn't name the password.

I just learned that there's a LOT of etiquette in MMO's that I'm completely unaware of.

Link1275
Dec 4, 2012, 12:28 PM
I just learned that there's a LOT of etiquette in MMO's that I'm completely unaware of.
Yeah, don't be an oxymoronic(I think I just made a new word) noob. Real life manners and etiquette still apply, and you have to be polite considerate and not goof off(act like an adult), about things that aren't IRL. Eg, don't goof off with stupid weapons, don't ask dumb questions, always read the full answer to a question that you asked over team chat, etc. If you use your head you're good to go. If you don't, everything help you.

domokun1134
Dec 4, 2012, 01:39 PM
To me it's not so much a matter of goofing off or not, because I certainly don't plan to do that. To me it's a matter of not realizing when you're doing something wrong or pissing people off just because even with the best of intentions you simply just don't know any better. In fact I think I'm going to make a post about this very topic. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondering the same thing.

Miraclearrow
Dec 4, 2012, 01:52 PM
I think you guys are way too serious about some rigid form of respect lol. If you feel like there is some fake etiquette that supersedes being genuine, that is the only real problem and in turn is the only real thing that matters online or w/e you do lol. Sorry to get all serious and analytical ahahah

Just relax and enjoy the game. As they say "You can't control the outer circumstances of your life but you can control how you react to them."

jooozek
Dec 4, 2012, 02:33 PM
FYI the japanese are making blacklists on 2ch, if you don't believe, type in google pso2 bl 2ch, you can't really call that "fake etiquette" if japanese notice you in your party and instantly leave.

domokun1134
Dec 4, 2012, 03:29 PM
2ch consists mainly of right-wing nationalistic nutjobs and doesn't represent the opinion of the Japanese population as a whole. We have those same type of people here in America too and those of us with sense find them equally as disgraceful. I'm sure (hoping actually) that there are a good amount of Japanese players on PSO2 that don't subscribe to their self-destructive ideals and would be happy to play with us and gain some new friends on the other side of the globe.

jooozek
Dec 4, 2012, 03:35 PM
What I'm trying to say is, don't complain when you get burned.

Noc Codez
Dec 4, 2012, 05:14 PM
FYI the japanese are making blacklists on 2ch, if you don't believe, type in google pso2 bl 2ch, you can't really call that "fake etiquette" if japanese notice you in your party and instantly leave.

This is exactly the reason I stick to block 20.. But not all JP players are racist sort of speak.. I do have 3 JP friends who speak engrish :)

Sir_Laguna
Dec 4, 2012, 06:46 PM
I think you guys are way too serious about some rigid form of respect lol. If you feel like there is some fake etiquette that supersedes being genuine, that is the only real problem and in turn is the only real thing that matters online or w/e you do lol. Sorry to get all serious and analytical ahahah

Just relax and enjoy the game. As they say "You can't control the outer circumstances of your life but you can control how you react to them."

Pretty much this. All the tips are great, but we might be overwhelming the new guys by being far too specific.

Try not to worry about the details TOO much. To keep it simple: Just use your best judgment, don't be a jerk, and you'll be fine. Don't be afraid to ask questions. And, like Miraclearrow said, be genuine!

Syklo
Dec 4, 2012, 07:19 PM
People who run around with Axeons aka leeches.
Oh right......still don't know how that term came about but I get it now.

And my previous question still stands.