PDA

View Full Version : If I play PSO2 what style will fit me the best?

SupraMedical68
Dec 3, 2012, 12:33 PM
I'm seriously considering getting back in the world of Phantasy Star after a long absence. My last online excursion was on the PSU 360 server Jan '10, and I played some solo PSP2 back in 2011.

It seems like humans, especially Humars have always been hit or miss. I love being a Humar back in the D.C and Gamecube era, but humans seemed very lackluster in PSU. Actually, in PSU humans in general seemed almost worthless solo or in a party.

I've always loved a character that was balanced in terms of stats, but relied solely on close and mid range attacks. I'd usually just rush in and try to hit everything with my close range attacks, but if I had problems hitting everyone in the mob for XP then I would go with a mid-range weapon like a slicer or a shotgun.

I also loved using Resta and Buffs, I definitely never liked having to rely on mates alone. Other than that, I don't really care for using offensive techniques.

Based upon my style, what's going to be the best option for me if I get on PSO2 servers, and is it worth it be a Humar or Ramar in this game?

I'm only going to have time for one character probably, and I'd rather get it right the first time.

SupraMedical68
Dec 3, 2012, 12:35 PM
Btw, sorry if this has been covered before. I have looked at some of the wiki information put out, but I just wanted people's opinions on the new humans. Thanks

Nerineri
Dec 3, 2012, 12:36 PM
Techter maybe?

By the way, you don't need to hit the monster to earn exp now. You can earn it if you are within the vicinity.

SupraMedical68
Dec 3, 2012, 12:45 PM
Techter maybe?

By the way, you don't need to hit the monster to earn exp now. You can earn it if you are within the vicinity.

Say word son?!? That's crazy.

Seriously though, what's to stop people from being lazy and just sandbagging in parties?

Either way, I guess that's good news if I just want to be a short range tank right?

Rasmolov
Dec 3, 2012, 12:48 PM
The only things stopping people from being lazy is the other people, the fact that you have to move on to spawn more mobs, and the fact that you get EXP slower if you aren't making things die faster.

But yeah, Techer/Techter seems right up your alley.

Dammy
Dec 3, 2012, 12:55 PM
in this case techer definitely , hit in melee with wands, heals and buffs, can also throw talis
make sure its human male , fits style more

Nerineri
Dec 3, 2012, 12:56 PM
I think you can't stop those lazy ones though. But they will probably get blacklisted later on. And oh, you don't even need to be in the same party to earn exp either.

As for tank... I'm not sure how well it is implement here. I don't think the tank is that effective yet. For close range player, they will probably find it hard to get close to the monsters before they were all dead because of Forces' AOE.

Techter can pretty do cover your conditions though. They are technic user class but has the strike defense the same as hunter. They can use technic(resta of course, along with shifta and deband and well, all the technics anyway). They can move in close to the monsters and combat with away with wand and its gear.

But, you might as well try all the classes and combination of subclasses as well, so see what could fit you best.

SupraMedical68
Dec 3, 2012, 01:29 PM
I think you can't stop those lazy ones though. But they will probably get blacklisted later on. And oh, you don't even need to be in the same party to earn exp either.

As for tank... I'm not sure how well it is implement here. I don't think the tank is that effective yet. For close range player, they will probably find it hard to get close to the monsters before they were all dead because of Forces' AOE.

Techter can pretty do cover your conditions though. They are technic user class but has the strike defense the same as hunter. They can use technic(resta of course, along with shifta and deband and well, all the technics anyway). They can move in close to the monsters and combat with away with wand and its gear.

But, you might as well try all the classes and combination of subclasses as well, so see what could fit you best.

Sounds appealing, though I'm guessing though that this character would be the equivalent of a old school FoMar from Episode I&II. My only concern is that if my character is meant to be tech based, but I'm sitting around bashing things with a blunt object, that I won't be using him to his full potential?

I'm going to look into the Techter later tonight when I have time. If he can use more than blunt weak weapons he may be for me.

Is there a list with a decent explanation of every subclass yet? If I don't have to tag every enemy anymore, I think I'd want just a plain short range fighter that can heal and buff. Even if the game isn't balanced and tanks are cannon fodder, I'd still miss being able to use swords and large weapons.

Does anyone remember when the Dreamcast HuMar was overpowered and had Resta, Buffs, Debuffs, and shotguns? Those were the days... Even the Episode I&II Humar was decent enough though he was nerfed (rightfully so).

I liked the Acrofighters in PSU, but in PSU humans Fortefighters and Fightmasters were just plain silly. Don't even get me started on human Fortegunners...

Mega Ultra Chicken
Dec 3, 2012, 01:33 PM
Racial differences are smaller than ever in this game, so choose the race/gender combo you like best. Human Male Techer sounds right up your alley, but keep in mind that you will be using a class and a subclass. Since you played HUmar in PSO1, you could try Hunter/Techer which allows you to use both strong melee attacks with Photon Arts and empowered support techniques. Or maybe you could try Techer/Hunter if you end up enjoying Wands more than Swords (if you make a defensive HUmar) or Swords/Partisans/Wired Lances (if you make an offense-based HUmar.)

I liked the Acrofighters in PSU, but in PSU humans Fortefighters and Fightmasters were just plain silly. Don't even get me started on human Fortegunners... Hey, I was a Human Fortegunner :<

Zorafim
Dec 3, 2012, 01:39 PM
Play Hunter if you like beat em ups, play Ranger if you like third person shooters, play force if you like RPGs. The difference in playstyle is pretty staggering between the three first classes, and I strongly suggest getting them all to lv10 before making a choice. You need to get an old class to 30 to unlock a new class, so I wouldn't bother trying to get them until you're already pretty deep into the game. They're pretty disappointing compared to the first classes though, so really focus on the first three.
Chose your race based on aesthetics. The difference between the best and worst race for a class is less than 10%, which is more than made up for with equipment. I do the most damage as a force right now, despite being a cast.

As far as subclasses are concerned, you won't find them to be the hybrid classes in PSU. At least, not from what I've seen. It's better to chose your sub class based on the abilities they get, and how well those abilities fit with main classes. For instance, hunter boosts damage by 20% in the fury tree, making it a great sub for every non-tech spec. While force gives you spells, its spells will be incredibly weak without a spell weapon (which main classes can't use even with a force sub), so having spells won't really help you that much.
You seem to want to play as a HUmar, with a focus on melee combat and some casting abilities. From what I've seen, despite everyone wanting this playstyle, it's not supported well in game. The closest would be hunter/force, but force doesn't add anything useful to hunter. You could try techer/something, but the best combo I've seen is techer/force, which won't give you much time for meleeing. If you want to melee and tech, force/techer might actually work well. Half the time I spend as a force is spent meleeing for PP, and melee damage isn't really that bad. Techer/fighter seems pretty viable, since fighter boosts all damage based on your position to your enemy. You could try that.

My suggestion is to make a character you think looks good, and get every class to 10. From there, chose a subclass based on your main.

Link1275
Dec 3, 2012, 01:39 PM
Yeah, take PSOBB, PSU:AOTI, and any MMO of your choice. Throw them in a software blender for 15 minutes and you get PSO2. PSO2's class system is a lot like PSU's, but you don't have a character level anymore. A lot of the other stuff is new or PSO like.

Punisher106
Dec 3, 2012, 02:05 PM
I've played hunter, and it's fairly fun. The fact that you can finally JUMP is amazing. I'd say get FO and HU to 30, to unlock Techer or Fighter. The latter is an extremely nimble class, especially with twin daggers. Gunner is fun, too, and provides a bit of mobility with the mechguns. But it's up to you.

Coatl
Dec 3, 2012, 04:25 PM

The hunter class is the closest thing you can get to a tank. It's more of an offensive tank though. Every Class in PSO2 is based around dealing damage, and being able to do something else unique to the class. Techer for example is a support class, but still does considerable damage.

Zorafim
Dec 3, 2012, 04:49 PM
I'd even go so far as to say that every class is designed to do damage. Even techer, the support class, is better off speccing for offense due simply to how poor support is (plus PP techer + fire force is an amazing combo). I've seen some strong cases for defense oriented hunters, but I think on a whole offense is better suited there, too.
I prefer to think of defense more as your ability to avoid damage, rather than how many hits you can take. The more you play, the easier it is for you to survive without getting hit. But there's also the case of rare and grinded armor, which turns you from squishy to tanky. So, if you can survive hits with skill and equipment, why take precious skill points to survive longer?

Angelo
Dec 3, 2012, 05:10 PM
Honestly, OP, sounds like Hunter with a Techter subclass would work for you.

You'd just have to invest some time getting Force to 30 to unlock Techter.

SupraMedical68
Dec 3, 2012, 05:47 PM
Honestly, OP, sounds like Hunter with a Techter subclass would work for you.

You'd just have to invest some time getting Force to 30 to unlock Techter.

Thanks a bunch for all your replies. It's kind of hard to really grasp the new class system without first playing the game. Even then, I'm sure there will be a decent learning curve, before I know what I want to play

I think the consensus is that I should use Techter in some capacity. So, I'll probably be looking into that, and do as much homework as I can before playing the game.

I just don't want another repeat of my first PSU character where he was a gimpy human, and never really brought much to the table in a party.

Hopefully with with this "Hunter with Techter subclass" I should be satisfied. I'd like to dish out and absorb some damage as a tank or a decoy, but then also have my resta and buffs so I'm not useless to the party.

Zorafim
Dec 3, 2012, 05:57 PM
Ah, um, Resta and buffs are pretty useless this time around. The only time I can get off Restas are when people don't care about healing tiny scratches they get. Even with the difficulty in using healing items this time around, it's normally easier than waiting for a heal. And buffs aren't really worth it right now. They only last a minute (I counted), and take at least 5 seconds to apply, for a tiny boost in performance. Most people won't be bothered to stand in your buffs every minute.
I'm not going to say don't go for it. I think you should test out everything and see what works for you. But from my experience, if you want to do melee combat, hunter/fighter is best. This time around, being a force to heal is like, um, being a ranger to use pistols. It's there, and you can do it, but it's not going to be your main focus.

SupraMedical68
Dec 3, 2012, 06:10 PM
Ah, um, Resta and buffs are pretty useless this time around. The only time I can get off Restas are when people don't care about healing tiny scratches they get. Even with the difficulty in using healing items this time around, it's normally easier than waiting for a heal. And buffs aren't really worth it right now. They only last a minute (I counted), and take at least 5 seconds to apply, for a tiny boost in performance. Most people won't be bothered to stand in your buffs every minute.
I'm not going to say don't go for it. I think you should test out everything and see what works for you. But from my experience, if you want to do melee combat, hunter/fighter is best. This time around, being a force to heal is like, um, being a ranger to use pistols. It's there, and you can do it, but it's not going to be your main focus.

Hopefully, that'll change at some point as the difficult improves. I could see the buffs having a larger role later after some new updates. Historically, in combat I rarely go out of my way to heal someone unless we're in a really bad situation which I doubt would be often.

At any rate, even if no one else wants my resta or buffs, I'll use them for sure on myself.

If there is nothing similar to the old school HuMar or FoMar by the time I start, I may just change my strategy.

TheAstarion
Dec 3, 2012, 08:48 PM
I currently run a newman fighter/techer or techer/fighter depending on my mood. Only problem with this is that you need to get Hunter lv30 and Force lv30 to unlock the Fighter and Techer classes. Hunter is more tank-y but Fighter... is kinda just more fun!

Fighter's doublesabers have the Deadly Archer PA move, which is a medium range melee PA, doing damage 5-10 feet in front of you. It's an all-purpose wonder PA that's good for almost any situation.

Techer has the stats of a close-range fighter; it's not your typical squishy wizard. Its signature weapon is the Wand, which is more melee weapon with tech stats than tech weapon. You can spec your skill tree into buffs, but the big damage boosts are in the elemental weak hit, or the poison detonation skills; buffs aren't fantastic this time round.

Spells can be cast from the hotbar; I stopped using healing items (other than Moon Atomisers) as soon as subclasses were released (which you will be able to unlock starting at lv20). This includes healing, buffs, and the occasional offensive spell.

There are a few all-class weapons available... the legacy doublesaber (looks like the PSO1 double saber or Crea Doubles from PSU), the Eight Ounce boxing glove knuckles, the Duellgaze Yu-Gi-Oh deck Talis, and if you're lucky enough the Mr. Umblla Stick (though I can only use that with my tech mag equipped, a lv50 Fi/Te has just too low T-atk to equip it, but Te/Fi should have enough). These can be used no matter which class is your "main" class and which is your subclass.

Here's my skill tree setup, you can look through the different tabs, click main/sub class to calculate stats, even poke and play around for yourself.
http://ryuhiroshi.funpic.de/pso2/skillcalc.html?tNIYIkIYIkIYIkIYIkIYIkIYIkebInqnGXc B4XInfbn00008ebrIGBboqtIbcA0000IbJdGFIqqFeIdAdn000 9b00004OI22SdxjbncAIk00064Odxj2SI2J20000
-It's not perfect but I have fun!

If you do decide to go down this route, I'd suggest:
lv1-20: Force only, Gunslash with support and your favourite damaging spells (it's good enough!)
Hunter/Force until Hunter lv30, Hunter weapons with select spells on hotbar, maybe a cheap duelgaze talis
Unlock Fighter first, Techer second and see if you like them (Techer isn't as big a difference to Force at low levels as Fighter is to Hunter).

Feel free to ask me anything else about this style, it's not the 100% hardest hitter ever but it's fun as hell. I finally feel like my character is fun, rather than the game being fun despite me.