PDA

View Full Version : No Motivation

Scrub
Dec 5, 2012, 01:47 AM
Couldn't think of a good title for the thread. Not going to be quite about what it sounds like.

After some crazy times for the last ~2 years of my life, I've finally come to the point where I have a steady place to stay and a job that I like (and pays the bills). Lately, my schedule has just been get up, go to work, come home, and literally just play videogames until I fall asleep. I'm not going to school to try to go for my 4-year and get a Teaching Degree, I'm not doing any advanced training, I'm not even looking for a better job with more career opportunities. I would honestly be completely content to do this for the rest of my days. Now, I have absolutely no motivation to 'better myself as a person.'

Pretty much every decision I make, and everything I do in life is basically just me trying to get in as much time playing videogames as possible. Really, my only goal in life is to play videogames. I've been this way since many years ago, and always just kind of thought in the back of my head that it was a phase and that maybe I'd want to do other things in my life. Over the last couple of years I (like to think that I have) grown a lot and matured. I've actually become a responsible person instead of a whiny brat. The thing is, I still feel the same way. I have no career aspirations because I hate all work equally and have never really enjoyed one job more than others (barring working with assholes, but that's not really the job's fault). I have no romantic aspirations ever since I found out my fiancee was cheating on me years back (kind of don't want that ever happening again). I don't really ever want to ever raise a child because that's a lot of time and money that I could be spending on myself.

It sounds foolish but I just love videogames so much. Lately I have been playing Planetside 2 with a bunch of friends, and we just roam around the map doing small 4-10 man squad things, having small skirmishes, occasionally assisting the zerg for easy points, etc. Tonight while I was driving from the warpgate to bring in armour support for my squad, I just sat back and thought to myself about how fun it was and how content I was just to be spending my evenings doing this. I just parked behind a hill and soaked in the thought for a moment. I can't really put into words the kind of feeling I got from this. Like everything is so peaceful and I'm so content and nothing can bother me. I was feeling the same way going through Dark Souls a couple of months ago (since which ive put HUNDREDS of hours into that game). Everytime I think I might have some sort of lull in this strange constant gaming lust I have, something new comes by and revitalizes my spirit. People talk about how games are shit nowadays but man I swear every generation has games that I just like more and more. The last time I've been as genuinely happy doing something like playing Planetside 2 or Dark Souls was way back in the day with Banjo-Kazooie (what is that like over 10 years now? jesus christ).

The thing is, I don't really feel bad about any of this, I just want to sit around on my ass and play videogames for the rest of my life. This might sound strange, but the only thing that bothers me about it is the fact that it doesn't bother me. Like, doing all of this stuff has been drilled into my head as THINGS I NEED TO DO for so long that I feel guilty for not giving a good god damn about any of it. Is it wrong to feel this way? Should I just pursue what makes me happy or try to 'improve my quality of life' or whatever even though I don't really want to? I know these aren't really questions that people can answer I have just been introspective lately and I wanted a place to articulate my thoughts to clear my head on the subject a little bit. It's getting late and I need to head to bed but I will probably add more to this thread sometime tomorrow or the next day.

NoiseHERO
Dec 5, 2012, 01:58 AM
Well all just wanna play videogames.

But hobbies don't hurt.

Sayara
Dec 5, 2012, 11:57 AM
I'm all for pursuit of happiness. If you can make by with your settings then more power to you man. I font feel like you HAVE to be megamillion successful to be happy.

CelestialBlade
Dec 5, 2012, 12:18 PM
Sounds like the only reason you feel guilty is because you're different than what society expects you to be. Personally as long as what you do makes you happy and isn't harmful to others or infringes on the rights of others, more power to you. I think we're becoming a bit obsessed with productivity in this country, to the point where it's turning most of the populace into submissive, soulless, stressed zombies. I'm getting really tired of everyone having to prove to me how "busy" they are, like it's some form of pride...I'm tired of people killing themselves by skipping meals and such because they've convinced themselves they're "in such a hurry" (wake up half an hour earlier, lazy ass), I'm tired of people neglecting their families and friends out of being slaves to their work, because society has told them "being busy is good, you should desire to be stressed out beyond belief" and so we bend over and keep settling for these consolidated positions, routinely working 70-80 hours per week with an exempted salary and doing the work of two or three people. It's a harmful pride with some people, but it doesn't have to be your lifestyle. Find your own success. If it makes you happy, hey, roll with it. You are nobody's slave, much less society's.

But either be happy with what you're doing or do something about it. If you really want to change, take the first step. Set small goals that lead up to a greater milestone and don't just talk about it, do it. One thing that burns me more than people trying to make me care about how busy they are is constantly saying you're going to do something but not putting in the time/effort to accomplish that. I do it too and it pisses me off when I do it, but I try not to. Either accept what you have or change the situation, life's that simple.

RenzokukenZ
Dec 5, 2012, 02:44 PM
At the same time, don't go dissing whatever responsibilities you do have just to do what makes you happy. There's living your life, and then there's priorities.

hbmizzle10
Dec 5, 2012, 03:09 PM
At the same time, don't go dissing whatever responsibilities you do have just to do what makes you happy. There's living your life, and then there's priorities.

totally agree

Palle
Dec 5, 2012, 03:16 PM
You get one life.

If you're not causing detriment to the lives of others, your life is yours to do with what you will. Why not enjoy it?

Zeota
Dec 5, 2012, 06:31 PM
The "Corporate hamster wheel" is overrated.

Make enough to live decently without working yourself stupid in the process. Be thankful for what you have in your life and the people in it. We spend way too much time busting our balls trying to impress people (with money, possessions, connections etc.) that we neglect ourselves physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

Enforcer MKV
Dec 5, 2012, 07:07 PM
....I think everyone is basically saying the same thing.

You're good, dude; so long as you can provide for yourself.

Blastifyys
Dec 5, 2012, 07:16 PM
Couldn't think of a good title for the thread. Not going to be quite about what it sounds like.

After some crazy times for the last ~2 years of my life, I've finally come to the point where I have a steady place to stay and a job that I like (and pays the bills). Lately, my schedule has just been get up, go to work, come home, and literally just play videogames until I fall asleep. I'm not going to school to try to go for my 4-year and get a Teaching Degree, I'm not doing any advanced training, I'm not even looking for a better job with more career opportunities. I would honestly be completely content to do this for the rest of my days. Now, I have absolutely no motivation to 'better myself as a person.'

Pretty much every decision I make, and everything I do in life is basically just me trying to get in as much time playing videogames as possible. Really, my only goal in life is to play videogames. I've been this way since many years ago, and always just kind of thought in the back of my head that it was a phase and that maybe I'd want to do other things in my life. Over the last couple of years I (like to think that I have) grown a lot and matured. I've actually become a responsible person instead of a whiny brat. The thing is, I still feel the same way. I have no career aspirations because I hate all work equally and have never really enjoyed one job more than others (barring working with assholes, but that's not really the job's fault). I have no romantic aspirations ever since I found out my fiancee was cheating on me years back (kind of don't want that ever happening again). I don't really ever want to ever raise a child because that's a lot of time and money that I could be spending on myself.

It sounds foolish but I just love videogames so much. Lately I have been playing Planetside 2 with a bunch of friends, and we just roam around the map doing small 4-10 man squad things, having small skirmishes, occasionally assisting the zerg for easy points, etc. Tonight while I was driving from the warpgate to bring in armour support for my squad, I just sat back and thought to myself about how fun it was and how content I was just to be spending my evenings doing this. I just parked behind a hill and soaked in the thought for a moment. I can't really put into words the kind of feeling I got from this. Like everything is so peaceful and I'm so content and nothing can bother me. I was feeling the same way going through Dark Souls a couple of months ago (since which ive put HUNDREDS of hours into that game). Everytime I think I might have some sort of lull in this strange constant gaming lust I have, something new comes by and revitalizes my spirit. People talk about how games are shit nowadays but man I swear every generation has games that I just like more and more. The last time I've been as genuinely happy doing something like playing Planetside 2 or Dark Souls was way back in the day with Banjo-Kazooie (what is that like over 10 years now? jesus christ).

The thing is, I don't really feel bad about any of this, I just want to sit around on my ass and play videogames for the rest of my life. This might sound strange, but the only thing that bothers me about it is the fact that it doesn't bother me. Like, doing all of this stuff has been drilled into my head as THINGS I NEED TO DO for so long that I feel guilty for not giving a good god damn about any of it. Is it wrong to feel this way? Should I just pursue what makes me happy or try to 'improve my quality of life' or whatever even though I don't really want to? I know these aren't really questions that people can answer I have just been introspective lately and I wanted a place to articulate my thoughts to clear my head on the subject a little bit. It's getting late and I need to head to bed but I will probably add more to this thread sometime tomorrow or the next day.
Do what makes you happy and live life how you want it to be made its not what others think you dont have to live up to there standards its living upp to the standards that you have for yourself. (i learned that today Im only 14 years old) but yes if you like doing what your doing then keep on doing it and my opinion i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee video games my favorite games are gears of war-xbox(1,2,3) and i was sponsored by coca cola for gears of war 2 gamebattles and A big fan of phantasy star first phantasy star i ever played was PSU for 4 years xbox. started when i was 10 years old my plan is go to college get a good job have a family live life and play video games.

BIG OLAF
Dec 6, 2012, 12:24 AM
Sounds like the only reason you feel guilty is because you're different than what society expects you to be.

I agree with this. I used to feel "bad" because I wasn't like everyone else in a societal regard, but fuck it. Like Palle said: you get one life, live as you wish to. Don't be anyone but who you are. If that person is a shut-in introvert that likes to putz around on the internet/video games in his free time, and hates being around other people (just using myself as an example), then so be it. I certainly don't let the media or other people ("society") tell me that how I feel, and how I want to live, is "wrong."

gigawuts
Dec 6, 2012, 12:54 AM
Man I remember when I was a kid, I tried and tried and tried so hard to fit in. And it never worked. Everyone hated me for it. It took me until halfway through highschool and a rather major life-changing event for me to stop trying.

And that was when I realized that I needed to stop feeling bad about not being like other people. The kicker: As of that day, people found me interesting. As soon as I stopped trying to fit in...I did.

Be you. If you're a nerd then you're a nerd. Enjoy it, use it. Use games as an end as well as a means to better yourself. If you pay enough attention, games can teach you a whole lot of things. Many games have fairly intricate mechanics that can make learning some more advanced things in college and such a cinch, because you've already grasped the abstract concepts behind them. For example, when I was younger I was using algebra to simplify ways to solve problems in games before I was even taking algebra in school. It was hilarious when I got to it, suddenly this daunting math class that everyone dreaded was what I'd been doing in my free time and I hadn't even realized that's what it was called. As time went on I found that it kept happening, I'd figure out this neat trick or I'd find some site to help me figure something out and it wound up being a lesson later on.

Games aren't the decider of whether or not you're useless. You are. Find a way to learn that you enjoy. Use games as an interface that you find interesting for information.

It sounds like you're having a kind of midlife crisis, which everyone does at some point or another (if not several). Despite the term's suggestion, it needn't even be around the middle of your life. There's not really anything I can say about that except everyone has such a crisis for a different, personal reason that they may not even be able to identify. Just work with what you've got, and you'll figure out a way to go.

AC9breaker
Dec 6, 2012, 04:58 AM
@OP I'm pretty much gonna echo what everyone else has said but but also reinforce what you have said. If there really is no desire for you to do something else then it shouldn't be forced. Because you're not gonna like it and the people around you won't like being around you as well if you're not in a good mood.

. I think we're becoming a bit obsessed with productivity in this country, to the point where it's turning most of the populace into submissive, soulless, stressed zombies. I'm getting really tired of everyone having to prove to me how "busy" they are, like it's some form of pride...I'm tired of people killing themselves by skipping meals and such because they've convinced themselves they're "in such a hurry" (wake up half an hour earlier, lazy ass), I'm tired of people neglecting their families and friends out of being slaves to their work, because society has told them "being busy is good, you should desire to be stressed out beyond belief" and so we bend over and keep settling for these consolidated positions, routinely working 70-80 hours per week with an exempted salary and doing the work of two or three people. It's a harmful pride with some people, but it doesn't have to be your lifestyle.

I personally disagree. I feel like this country is moving in the exact opposite direction where everyone is all about this entitlement type of mindset; and people "proving" how busy they are is all just to keep up the facade that they have earned or deserve everything. This facade mentality seems even more prevalent thanks to the whole facebook/twitter/youtube culture we have going on where people just have to document every single mundane aspect of their life to such a point where it becomes more about appearances, likes, retweets, and subscribers then anything else.

CelestialBlade
Dec 6, 2012, 07:04 AM
I personally disagree. I feel like this country is moving in the exact opposite direction where everyone is all about this entitlement type of mindset; and people "proving" how busy they are is all just to keep up the facade that they have earned or deserve everything. This facade mentality seems even more prevalent thanks to the whole facebook/twitter/youtube culture we have going on where people just have to document every single mundane aspect of their life to such a point where it becomes more about appearances, likes, retweets, and subscribers then anything else.
Fair argument. I'm just sick of everyone trying to prove to me how "busy" they are, like I'm supposed to care :P

Eman2417
Dec 6, 2012, 04:13 PM
I agree with this. I used to feel "bad" because I wasn't like everyone else in a societal regard, but fuck it. Like Palle said: you get one life, live as you wish to. Don't be anyone but who you are. If that person is a shut-in introvert that likes to putz around on the internet/video games in his free time, and hates being around other people (just using myself as an example), then so be it. I certainly don't let the media or other people ("society") tell me that how I feel, and how I want to live, is "wrong."
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Mystil
Dec 12, 2012, 04:49 AM
Videogames is your motivation. It's a hobby like none other. As long as you're happy doing what you're doing, don't question it.

And don't give into social conformity.

darkante
Dec 12, 2012, 09:27 AM
Well, just do what makes you happy.
I probably never get tired of video-games, so much fun.
Been doing that since i were like 3 years old.

Just donīt neglect the important things in life in the process.