PDA

View Full Version : Rareception: How deep is too deep?

Rien
Dec 5, 2012, 02:30 AM
I understand low droprates for items being one thing in MMOs. In fact, I think it's weirder if an MMORPG didn't have rare drops somewhere in there.

And the same thing comes with PSO2: Any rare can become painfully difficult to hunt, nevermind being tradable or not. Things like Ardillo, Ridultiv and Garland has been evading players ever since their existence.

But then PSO2 gave us, with the introduction of Very Hard mode, Rareception: Rare items.... on Rare mobs. Sure, it's been done before (even Ragnarok Online had people hunting rare mobs for their rare card drops), but not on a power scale like this. 10-star items like Demolition Comet, Imperial Pick, Avenger and the Yasminkov 9000m make it worse because they can't be traded, giving players no choice but to manually get out there and strike the mobs down.

Even then, at this time there's the Umbra Stick/Madam Umbrella, requiring a rare code (Present), serious luck (that your mags don't hit him, though that was fixed) and then more luck for it to actually drop when completed.

Then, just like Inception, Sega decides to go deeper and give us Rare Maps.

And all this just comes together to give us the most convoluted blend of extreme rageworthy RNG systems you'll ever see in a single online game. We're only lucky they didn't make us pay for any of the above.

So, I want to ask:

How deep is too deep?
Have they gone too deep?
How much deeper are they going to go?
How deep are you willing to see them go?

eharima
Dec 5, 2012, 02:39 AM
rare maps are to counter your 'its too rare' problem, the rare enemy rate in parallel areas are gonna be like, well maybe even rare enemy only?

rare map spawn/ teleport might be of a better apperance than current rare mobs.
im not even sure how its implemented, like you start a map and pow rare boss everywhere, or like you roll to area 3 and its raar boss map?

if you join an 11/12 and your in area1 rare map, can you go to area2 get everyone and come back to rare map?? i just dont know.

that feel when in a party, 'xxxxxxx has received 10*rare you want FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Zyrusticae
Dec 5, 2012, 02:40 AM
I don't care as long as I get alternatives that are easier to get, that look good, and that are competitive with such obscenely rare weapons.

Lambda Aristin, sadly, only fulfills 2/3 (it's ugly as hell). Good thing ruin charms aren't that rare!

Edit: Parallel worlds are going to have a LOT more rare mobs (or rare mobs only), and AFAIK there are no new rare mobs unique to those locations.

Darki
Dec 5, 2012, 02:47 AM
Lambda Aristin, sadly, only fulfills 2/3 (it's ugly as hell).

I think it's actually very beautiful compared to most swords out there. At least it doesn't look like a dildo when sheathed. <_<

Rien
Dec 5, 2012, 02:50 AM
I think it's actually very beautiful compared to most swords out there. At least it doesn't look like a dildo when sheathed. <_<

I'd ask you a lot of things right now, but... uh...

Which swords look like a dildo when sheathed?!?

Dinosaur
Dec 5, 2012, 02:50 AM
interesting thread title...

Zyrusticae
Dec 5, 2012, 02:51 AM
I like that part about it. MULTI-PURPOSE DESIGN.

But seriously, all those hard edges hurt my eyes. I hate it. Can't stand it.

Darki
Dec 5, 2012, 02:51 AM
I'd ask you a lot of things right now, but... uh...

Which swords look like a dildo when sheathed?!?

Lol Ruins Charm but not that much, just a silly comparision. In any case I agree with Zyru with the fact that I'd rather wear beautiful weapons than ugly and useful, although I guess our aesthetical sense diffiers.

interesting thread title...

Yeah, and the fact that we mentioned dildos already adds to the fun.

I like that part about it. MULTI-PURPOSE DESIGN.

But seriously, all those hard edges hurt my eyes. I hate it. Can't stand it.

Uh... good point, lol. I dunno, for me it looks very classical without being an ubber boring, repetitive to death and lacking originality as a simple katana in such game as this would be.

/inb4AgitoFansHateAnswers

Zenobia
Dec 5, 2012, 02:58 AM
I don't care as long as I get alternatives that are easier to get, that look good, and that are competitive with such obscenely rare weapons.

Lambda Aristin, sadly, only fulfills 2/3 (it's ugly as hell). Good thing ruin charms aren't that rare!

Edit: Parallel worlds are going to have a LOT more rare mobs (or rare mobs only), and AFAIK there are no new rare mobs unique to those locations.

I'll have to say Ruins charm looks very plain and non-decorative.

Lambda Artisin may be a re-skin but it looks way better than it's former.

As far as rare's go i got 2 of them both when i did my very first mpa's in there respective locations,but i guess that factors in the good pse burst's the players racked up.

Oh btw i didn't use any rare boost enhancement items either for some reason i just fine myself holding on to those lol.

yoshiblue
Dec 5, 2012, 03:00 AM
Rare missions from your friends to get rare gear. Gear from them won't be as good as the ones randomly found. That'll work.

Macman
Dec 5, 2012, 03:28 AM
Rare mobs were a nice thing in PSO1 since most of them had 50% droprates for their rare. You were pretty much "oh man finally I found something decent" most of the time.

Here though... it's just CO progress for Girard. I haven't seen a single rare monster drop anything aside from Rappy Cannon and maybe a disk or two.

eharima
Dec 5, 2012, 03:30 AM
PD by a Torr.
PD by a Mil lilli.
...never forget.

Dammy
Dec 5, 2012, 03:30 AM
well, in PSO1 on hard and very hard they dropped trigrinders and sol atomizers, you know
lets wait for ult

eharima
Dec 5, 2012, 03:33 AM
god they need to hurry up and start dropping di/tri grinders.
push the price down and not have to frequent between the bank and dodo so often.

Macman
Dec 5, 2012, 03:33 AM
well, in PSO1 on hard and very hard they dropped trigrinders and sol atomizers, you know
lets wait for ult
Uh no, in PSO1 they dropped materials in normal, and usually 9* "box"rares on hard/vhard. Though Ultimate IS where they started actually dropping more unique stuff. (the better stuff being 1/21 or around 5% droprate)

blace
Dec 5, 2012, 03:35 AM
Thread title:
Rareception: How deep is too deep?

At least it doesn't look like a dildo when sheathed. <_<
Gah the visuals in my head. Thanks for the images!

On topic:
We need some actual fixed rates rather than the RNG.

eharima
Dec 5, 2012, 05:07 AM
okay, rare parallel maps will appear as a teleporter according to here;
http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=680

will this be the demise of MPA farming, and increase of RARE MAP OR RESTART ???

jooozek
Dec 5, 2012, 05:15 AM
Don't think so, they might appear like the turrets appear, out of thin air. But even if it is like you say there is really no harm in that, not everyone wants those rare monsters.

Dammy
Dec 5, 2012, 05:36 AM
Uh no, in PSO1 they dropped materials in normal, and usually 9* "box"rares on hard/vhard. Though Ultimate IS where they started actually dropping more unique stuff. (the better stuff being 1/21 or around 5% droprate)

yeah, i dont really remember what they dropped, but at least you get my point

Dark Emerald EXE
Dec 5, 2012, 05:52 AM
IIRC couldn't you just do that old telepipe trick until you saw a rare version of a mob in pso?

Rien
Dec 5, 2012, 07:12 AM
IIRC couldn't you just do that old telepipe trick until you saw a rare version of a mob in pso?

That'd be cool if the majority of the stuff we were looking for weren't bosses...