PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Free to Play

Sarthraa
Dec 6, 2012, 09:26 PM
Personally, I fully approve of the F2P model, mostly because I'm a college student, and I don't exactly have money to spend once a month on a game that I may not have much of a chance to touch throughout my semesters.

However, I will say that I was more than willing to at least pay a one-time fee for the game (note, this was before I found out about the F2P model).

GreenArcher
Dec 6, 2012, 09:40 PM
Holy necro batman

But that is such an overused and weak argument. People posting on forums, with internet connection, with a computer, enrolled in college....etc..... argue that they can't pay monthly for a game. If you have time to play games, you can afford $10-$15 a month.

Seraphus
Dec 6, 2012, 10:27 PM
And if you hardly had anytime to play video games but would still like to on rare occasions, does that $10-15 a month seem worth it? Monthly fees are really a dying breed, or maybe people don't find any better alternatives to WoW. Cost is not an overused and weak argument when companies want you to give them money. I'm sure companies would rather have the money I will spend on cash shops than none at all.

Of course, I'm biased and never saw the appeal of paying monthly fees. I already pay $15-20 a month for internet which gives me access to so much more, why would I want to pay almost the same price for access to one game?

ZIE creations
Dec 6, 2012, 11:53 PM
I payed monthly for PSU for about 1.5 years, then I couldn't afford it when entering college. Yes, it's a lot of money when you spend 60%+ of your time doing school work and are unemployed...

thinktank001
Dec 7, 2012, 03:01 AM
Personally, I fully approve of the F2P model, mostly because I'm a college student, and I don't exactly have money to spend once a month on a game that I may not have much of a chance to touch throughout my semesters.

However, I will say that I was more than willing to at least pay a one-time fee for the game (note, this was before I found out about the F2P model).

Who would not share your opinion if they were in the same situation?

++++++++++++++++++

I really only have 2 problems with the P2W business model (cash shop games).

1. The game is advertised as free to play, but it is really just free admission.

2. Every game mechanic is monetized and suffers a detrimental effect.

+++++++++++++++++++

I'm not too impressed with PSO2s model.

Seraphus
Dec 7, 2012, 04:01 AM
Who would not share your opinion if they were in the same situation?

++++++++++++++++++

I really only have 2 problems with the P2W business model (cash shop games).

1. The game is advertised as free to play, but it is really just free admission.

2. Every game mechanic is monetized and suffers a detrimental effect.

+++++++++++++++++++

I'm not too impressed with PSO2s model.

Are you saying PSO2 is P2W or you just aren't a fan of PSO2's model? F2P is not always P2W which you are inferring. And PSO2 is currently far from P2W. What aren't you impressed about?

MissMalice
Dec 7, 2012, 10:41 AM
PSO2 is currently far from P2W.

This.

Anyone who thinks PSO2 is P2W needs to go play any game published by Perfect World Entertainment for an hour. Seriously, ANY game~

Here's what you get from PSO2's "P2W" store: A room and a shop [that you can technically get for free], more storage space, a new character slot, a new skill tree when you've f*cked up your current one, EXP boosts [that you can get pretty much for free now], and clothing.

When they start adding 10* gear to the cash shop and start making enemies powerful enough that you actually need to spend money to progress, then we can all safely say that PSO2 has become P2W.

Nitro Vordex
Dec 7, 2012, 11:08 AM
While I can somewhat agree about college, I'm in college as well and still have time for games when I wanna play. I also have a job, so I can (kinda) afford it. I'm not really worried about the fee, but more of what I'm going to get out of it. Is it a game that I'll enjoy every time (or close to) I play it? Or am I just gonna get pissed at it? That's what I look for.

And also the P2W thing. Very stupid. Drift City does that. It could almost be a good game, but it's ruined by cash shop.

Sarthraa
Dec 7, 2012, 11:18 AM
This.

Anyone who thinks PSO2 is P2W needs to go play any game published by Perfect World Entertainment for an hour. Seriously, ANY game~

Here's what you get from PSO2's "P2W" store: A room and a shop [that you can technically get for free], more storage space, a new character slot, a new skill tree when you've f*cked up your current one, EXP boosts [that you can get pretty much for free now], and clothing.

When they start adding 10* gear to the cash shop and start making enemies powerful enough that you actually need to spend money to progress, then we can all safely say that PSO2 has become P2W.

I hate the P2W game models for this reason. I see no point in playing a game that I have to continually shell out money to even be competitive.

@Seraphus Thanks for understanding my position. I, for one, have a car to pay off, car insurance, student loans (I'm constantly setting most of my paychecks aside so I'm not broke for God knows how many years after college), and textbooks. I also have to pay for gas and pay for my food. I am also a full-time student working a part-time job (normally 25+ hours per week) and trying to maintain all A's. Anybody can tell why I don't want to shell out $10 or $15/month for a game that I may not have much time to play.

@GreenArcher Sorry, I totally forgot to look at the last post date. T_T

jooozek
Dec 7, 2012, 11:29 AM
There is no PvP in this game so no, not a chance even for it to be pay2win.

Sarthraa
Dec 7, 2012, 11:41 AM
There is no PvP in this game so no, not a chance even for it to be pay2win.

Actually, if they scaled the enemies to the point where you had to buy cash shop items in order to progress, it could be P2W. Not quite to the extreme as a game with PvP, but still...

Cypher_9
Dec 7, 2012, 12:09 PM
Which ever model works for someone will work for them. It will either give them the convience or not, as someone already mentioned - you would play the game for its value, its worth in the time you are going to invest in it. I payed both into p2p and f2p during the time of my like of them... of course I had my dislike too but, the time spent on them was reletivaly long. The longest MMORPG I have ever been on was Phantasy Star which was a good 5+ years when it was p2p, and played to its dying breath. Now when this came out and introduced the first f2p model within the series... you better believe I said "hell yes" to that because if it was the p2p model - I wouldn't of been able to stay on it long.

Whether this was a good idea or not is on SEGAs behalf and however much they are making with this model in the series. I would truely say this is a breath of fresh air for Phantasy Star, as we already know, the f2p model gives someone that quick access so thats one advantage it does have... the most I can think about as far as p2p's is that all of its 'usual' things would be unlocked and all you have to do is sell what you find, and grind the shit out of things to get more things to sell, etc etc. I don't really see the lack of the 'usual' within PSO2 and I can understand one would benifit more IF they are prem BUT most players are not limited there of - you would just end up with a box full of useless items that could of been sold ages ago in player shops... LOL

So of course some benifits would go to those who pay for it... its what they call 'incentive' to reward those who payed for a service as far as f2p is a concern and I don't mind that method, especially when the game is, again worth your time.

GreenArcher
Dec 7, 2012, 12:14 PM
There is a difference between saying "money is tight and I don't see a monthly fee as worthwhile" and saying "I can't afford it." The first one is a valid point. The second one annoys me to no end. Most of us on the internet are very privileged, I hate hearing "I can't afford it" as if $10 - $15 a month will break you.

Cypher_9
Dec 7, 2012, 12:20 PM
There is a difference between saying "money is tight and I don't see a monthly fee as worthwhile" and saying "I can't afford it." The first one is a valid point. The second one annoys me to no end. Most of us on the internet are very privileged, I hate hearing "I can't afford it" as if $10 - $15 a month will break you.

Well, that is up to the person, if it would break them is up to question for we do not know their situation in full detail... probably they want to use that 10 -15 bucks to buy food or drink for the house... or give someone charity... or get a blow from that girl at the strip joint... LOL

Alot can factor... alot can be questioned but, overall a penny saved is a penny earned...

Now if you really want an overused quote - "I made a female character so I don't have to look at a man's ass" but, thats for another thread.. Xd

Purple Lamplight
Dec 7, 2012, 12:22 PM
Wow, I'm going to post a thread about my opinion of a game and actually expect people to care in even the slightest!

Galax
Dec 7, 2012, 12:29 PM
Since we're all fans of the game/series here, yes, I expect people will care about an opinion. I don't expect them to like or dislike it. I don't expect them to proclaim the opinion holder savior of the Phans. I do think they'd care, though, since it pertains to something they care about.

That aside...I don't really have anything else. Jus' wanted to share that thought.

Cypher_9
Dec 7, 2012, 12:30 PM
Wow, I'm going to post a thread about my opinion of a game and actually expect people to care in even the slightest!

Yes... because we are:

chorus

Lalalalalala ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY... Lalalalalalalaaaa

end chorus

MissMalice
Dec 7, 2012, 12:45 PM
Welp, whether people like that fact that this game is F2P or not, it is what it is.

I understand what the OP is trying to say when it comes to not really wanting to pay. Even if it were only $10, it could go towards something he actually needs. And really, in college you pretty much need access to the internet in or near where you're living. Not all campuses have 24-hour libraries with WiFi. Not every student wants to get up at 2am to run to the nearest McDonald's with WiFi to work on something last minute. Through the stress of it all--bills to pay, homework, studying, jobs, the normal bullsh*t of being around equally stressed out people for 4+ years--having one little escape to just relax is great. The last thing he would probably want to do is shell out even more money just to have an hour of relaxation before starting the process all over again.

Sarthraa
Dec 7, 2012, 01:07 PM
Welp, whether people like that fact that this game is F2P or not, it is what it is.

I understand what the OP is trying to say when it comes to not really wanting to pay. Even if it were only $10, it could go towards something he actually needs. And really, in college you pretty much need access to the internet in or near where you're living. Not all campuses have 24-hour libraries with WiFi. Not every student wants to get up at 2am to run to the nearest McDonald's with WiFi to work on something last minute. Through the stress of it all--bills to pay, homework, studying, jobs, the normal bullsh*t of being around equally stressed out people for 4+ years--having one little escape to just relax is great. The last thing he would probably want to do is shell out even more money just to have an hour of relaxation before starting the process all over again.

^This. You, MissMalice, have described my EXACT situation. I am in a Network Security program, so Internet access is an absolute must-have. I research information all the time for various projects, every day. Not only that, but Internet is my one-stop resource to finding a solution to a problem in any subject. There is no way I could survive college if I had no Internet, since I commute every day.

thinktank001
Dec 7, 2012, 01:16 PM
Are you saying PSO2 is P2W or you just aren't a fan of PSO2's model? F2P is not always P2W which you are inferring. And PSO2 is currently far from P2W. What aren't you impressed about?

You and many are others are confused on what F2P and P2W actually mean.

P2W is a business model. It describes the purchasing of character advancement. It has nothing to do with whether or not you feel it is apporpriate.

F2P is a marketing term. It doesn't describe anything about the payment model.

I probably shouldn't have used the term "model", but should have just stated that I am not impressed with their cash shop. It looks to be much of the same as any other cash shop based game.

Seraphus
Dec 7, 2012, 02:43 PM
Those are your definitions so no one is actually confused about anything. Sure, F2P is a marketing term and people advertising the game use the term. It means free to play which is true for games that advertise it as such. Sure P2W is a business model, but is a term the community has made up. No publisher/developer would admit that's what they are doing. It is based solely on what the community feels is appropriate or not. Some could argue that My Shop is a P2W feature as you can gain meseta easier allowing you to be able to access/make better gear than everyone else.

F2P and P2W mean what they mean. If you would like to add some underlying meanings and reasons why they exist, go ahead. You can't just say it looks like much the same as any other cash shop game because cash shops are wildly different throughout games. DOTA2 you can only buy strictly cosmetic items (or things that would only affect cosmetics) and while others make you pay to continue playing for an extended amount of time. In PSO2, some things aren't strictly cosmetic such as success rate boosters.

sandylecuistot
Dec 7, 2012, 03:26 PM
I would never pay Monthly fees but I can buy a game at full price (if the game is good of course).
Probably because I prefer to play when I want rather than HAVE to play because Y payed for a month.
For example, if they released a full game (after all the updates) for more than 100$ I could pay for it as long as the game was really good/worth it.

pikachief
Dec 7, 2012, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't pay monthly, not cuz I can't pay $10 but because, also as a college student and one who also does play other games, I can't get my money's worth out of $10 a month with the amount of time I'd actually be putting into it. Infact, I'd be ignoring my other games too trying to get my money's with with this.

So I am very glad its F2P and I can jump in however often I want, whether it be once a month, once a week, or everyday for a few hours.

Also the Cash Shop is great. It's basically clothes, the ability to sell and trade, and other minor items. There is never a time where I feel like I'm missing out on an important part of the game because I don't pay money and there is never a time where I feel like people who pay have a huge advantage over me.

sandylecuistot
Dec 7, 2012, 05:44 PM
That's what I think to.
And nothing prevents us from buying anything at will, if we feel like it at some point.

MetalDude
Dec 7, 2012, 05:56 PM
Probably the only think I've felt that I've missed out on is two additional mags (super cheap) and MyShop every other month or two. I have 500 hours in this game without a single penny spent and I finally plan on spending ~$50 to get 3000 points to buy a chunk of permanent stuff (the mags, 50 inv spaces, one or two additional skill trees) and MyShop for the first time. I used to not like the kind of microtransactions they were doing, but the game is exceptionally playable without them.