PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 So...Are we all evil?

RedRaz0r
Dec 8, 2012, 01:29 AM
Haven't seen a thread about this, and my friend brought it up, so figured I'd post about it...

In PSO Episode 3, the 2 sides are the Hunters (PSO) and the Arkz (PSO2). The Hunters, which we played as in PSO, are the good guys/heroes, while the Arkz, are the evil/villains. So, what does this mean in PSO2? Are we all the villains, or did SEGA say "Lol@psolore" And just re-use the name?

Rika-chan
Dec 8, 2012, 01:31 AM
Arks in PSO2 doesn't have anything to do with the Episode 3 Arks, as far as I know.

gigawuts
Dec 8, 2012, 01:33 AM
Yeah, people have mentioned that Sakai has confirmed they're separate entities.

I still pretend we're evil though. We are kind of going to multiple planets and killing everything for kicks.

RedRaz0r
Dec 8, 2012, 01:42 AM

I still pretend we're evil though. We are kind of going to multiple planets and killing everything for kicks.

Ahhh dang didn't see that. But I like you're thinking, Imma pretend we're evil too!

Keyblade59
Dec 8, 2012, 01:52 AM
"Lets go find a planet, kill every inhabitant, then claim it as our own!"

"Oh crap there's a dark deity sealed in the planet better go kick its ass and find another one"

That summarizes PSO Ep.1 and PSO2, so we are indeed evil, to everything that isn't Arkz.

ZIE creations
Dec 8, 2012, 01:59 AM
In all technicality, we are mercenaries. We do everything so we can get paid, buy our wants, and get better equipment to kill stuff faster and obtain our wants even faster. Mercs are not good or bad, whoever pays them is the one to blame >.>

blace
Dec 8, 2012, 02:05 AM
I dunno, we all pretty much voluntarily jump down onto the planets and kill everything be it ancient darkness, natural wildlife or even machines.

Keyblade59
Dec 8, 2012, 02:14 AM
A bunch of mercenaries looking for a home, using money we get to buy better stuff to kill more stuff till no inhabitants exist on the planet, then we don't even live there. As for darkers they are pretty much the "communists" to the "American Arkz" as we do everything we can to screw them over. That and we have the fortunate luck of finding a planet that sealed some colossal god of destruction. That's what we get for murdering innocent animals, like the rappies. They trot and sing, and the first we do? Shoot them in the hand and demand they cough up their own children that we can pluck feathers from, a cannon that shoots them out of it, and frozen tuna. No wonder we can't find a planet, we treat the people who live there like crap lol.

Heat Haze
Dec 8, 2012, 02:17 AM
We're not evil.

We're just collecting egg shaped rocks.

RedRaz0r
Dec 8, 2012, 02:17 AM
We're not evil.

We're just collecting egg shaped rocks.

And murdering every living and non living creature and gets in our way!

darkante
Dec 8, 2012, 03:31 AM
Hey, if killing those animals are evil then good golly enslaving pokemans are evil too.
Get in tah ball whether you like or not and obey my commands!

Dark Emerald EXE
Dec 8, 2012, 03:47 AM
I dunno, we all pretty much voluntarily jump down onto the planets and kill everything be it ancient darkness, natural wildlife or even machines.
I didn't choose Arkz....Arkz chose me...

Rien
Dec 8, 2012, 04:21 AM
We're Diamond-shaped box pirates.

If you has one, we keel you and take it.

If you don't has one, we keel you anyway because you're in the way of us getting to the things with the diamond-shaped boxes.

The Walrus
Dec 8, 2012, 08:26 AM
To be fair, it's the dragonkins own fault for not giving us their eggs to use for our omelets. Delicious gulf meat omelets

Laxedrane
Dec 8, 2012, 08:57 AM
Sometimes it's all rightious then sometimes like in psu JP servers it's a mission where we are cleaning out a mine that we abandon of the native life becuase we want to use it again....

Incidentally arkz weren't exactly evil. The "Good" side while all the playable characters were generally good people. Their leader was a power hungry psychotic. Where as the arkz were just a group of people fed up with the status quo. Half of them were out there for cast and Newman rights. They even had a movement to change their names from Androids to Humanoids to help show that they have rights like humans do too.

Episode 3 had some of the most deep concepts and dark subject matter I've been out of any phantasy star game that came out after the dreamcast.

Blizz3112
Dec 8, 2012, 10:01 AM
Hey guess what? Humans do despicable things for profit, even on our own planet... and they don't have to be drug lords or weapon dealers to be that way...

ShinMaruku
Dec 8, 2012, 10:17 AM

That is only human. To be as sucessful as we have been we have to be very adriot in going down and killing everything.

[Ayumi]
Dec 8, 2012, 11:24 AM

I would really like to see where he say this.

Because I've been having 2 ideas for PSO2.
One that PSO2 is a reboot of PSO in a way (that's why the storyline if very similar) or a continuation from many years after PSO EPIII (which is why we're named arks/arkz).

The reboot one I don't think I need to explain, but for the continuation I've been thinking seeing how in the end of EPIII Pioneer 2 finally landed on Ragol with the Arkz that after some years, they've noticed the planet is way too dangerous to live on even after all those years.
Their technology later have advanced which would explain all their technology as of now and have decided to look for a new planet(s). By this time they took in the name "Arkz" as themselves as a whole and called themselves "Arks".
Now the game I would say can maybe take place hundreds or maybe even more years after EPIII. Don't forget that it was 25 years since they came to Ragol they found out how to make monsters into creatures they can somehow control into card items. Same for weapons. a few hundred years I can see them advancing drastically.

Once again just my hunch. And I'm sticking with it.
This would also explain why Arks (to me, before anyone go YOUR OPINION IS WRONG!) are partially evil even if they don't see it. They have the same mentality of their ancestors of once Ragol that liked poking their nose in places they don't belong and stirring up trouble. Which lead us to where the story is right now in PSO2.

gigawuts
Dec 8, 2012, 12:10 PM
Hey guess what? Humans do despicable things for profit, even on our own planet... and they don't have to be drug lords or weapon dealers to be that way...

Man, even PSO1 had some grim stuff going on for such a kid's game. It had ethics on race and species equality and rights, stuff on human trafficking, killing people and selling their weaponry, landgrabs, ethics of genetically engineering weapons and human experimentation (even knowing that newmen have heavily reduced lifespans as a direct result of such engineering), etc.

The first time I played it I was young enough that I didn't pick up on any of that stuff, but after a few years when I actually read the lines again I found myself muttering "holy shit" quite a few times at the kind of ideas they were putting in a game I never really thought of as having a story any more complex or sophisticated than pokemon.

Of course it's still largely a kid's game, but I'm looking for any of that stuff here and I get...boobies. Not complaining, I like boobies too.

Syklo
Dec 8, 2012, 06:47 PM
We're not evil, Dudu is!

KILL HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIM

blackstar
Dec 8, 2012, 07:11 PM
We're not evil, Dudu is!

KILL HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIM

Yeah, this!
Remember that Christmas Rappy you snuck up on last night and yelled "Suprise Santabird! Gimme all your sh@t!"? Then you proceeded to blast it all to hell with a Launcher... Well they are looking for you now, so lets give them a scape goat... DUDU.

[Ayumi]
Dec 8, 2012, 07:13 PM
We're not evil, Dudu is!

KILL HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIM

Deudeux isn't evil.
He's very smart. He's not evil.

Syklo
Dec 8, 2012, 07:37 PM
;2890717']Deudeux isn't evil.
He's very smart. He's not evil.
He may be smart, but he's clumsy and not very useful

Therefore, eeeeebil

Link1275
Dec 8, 2012, 07:45 PM

Therefore, eeeeebil
Correction, he's not clumsy. He brakes stuff intentionally.

LK1721
Dec 8, 2012, 07:49 PM
Well, all of the Christmas COs revolve around murdering tundra creatures, pilfering their presents, and all around just being mean. Oh, and cake too I guess.

Though I'd say, it is the same sort of situation as original PSO. The Arks are simply looking out for their interests before anything else, doing what these space-vigilante organizations have been doing (Hunters, Arks, ect) for a looong time. Sticking their noses where they don't belong for profit or what have you and causing problems whether they see it that way or not. Not extremely "evil" by any stretch, but definitely not "good" either.

[Ayumi]
Dec 8, 2012, 07:51 PM

Therefore, eeeeebil

Clumsy?
Think of it this way.

I have a market where I can help make your items great. I know that you want these items great no matter what and I'm the only one that can do it. No competition at all.

What do I do?
Oops! I messed it up. I just couldn't do it, want me to try again?
Oh Dark it went down more than before, want me to try again?
Rinse and repeat.

That's not clumsy. That's brilliant.

Syklo
Dec 8, 2012, 08:02 PM
Not really
There's 10 ships, each ship having about 45 blocks?

So 450 dudu's.
not really niche.

P.S. he has a really nice drop table heheheh

blackstar
Dec 8, 2012, 08:07 PM
So 450 dudu's.

Sorry, I can't help myself.
"Now that is alot of DUDU."

[Ayumi]
Dec 8, 2012, 08:08 PM
Not really
There's 10 ships, each ship having about 45 blocks?

So 450 dudu's.
not really niche.

P.S. he has a really nice drop table heheheh

If you're going by that. Then Deudeux is like the Nurse Joy of PSO2.
Either way it's one company with a ton of employees... from the same mother... or family... or whatever.

Syklo
Dec 8, 2012, 08:33 PM
;2890745']If you're going by that. Then Deudeux is like the Nurse Joy of PSO2.
Either way it's one company with a ton of employees... from the same mother... or family... or whatever.
So someone has a crush on dudu

should be the person next to him?

Rien
Dec 8, 2012, 10:49 PM
So someone has a crush on dudu

should be the person next to him?

Her name's Chiara/Kiara, and her business is not rigged like poopoo.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Dec 9, 2012, 11:54 AM
Well, all of the Christmas COs revolve around murdering tundra creatures, pilfering their presents, and all around just being mean. Oh, and cake too I guess. Yup, pilfering presents that the monsters are trying to destroy.

...Maybe the monsters break their own presents for Christmas?

LK1721
Dec 9, 2012, 12:05 PM
Yup, pilfering presents that the monsters are trying to destroy.

...Maybe the monsters break their own presents for Christmas?

D: Maybe that's how their culture celebrates maan.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Dec 9, 2012, 12:09 PM
D: Maybe that's how their culture celebrates maan.

If so, then... hooray for senseless anti-materialism?

LK1721
Dec 9, 2012, 12:39 PM
If so, then... hooray for senseless anti-materialism?

Yeeeees~

ShilohSham
Dec 9, 2012, 03:30 PM
guess we have to wait till we get more story really

atm we know what 2 of the 3 heros and

zero of the 6 pillars of the arks.

pretty sure in a nutshell we just like any other JRPG were the people at the very top are evil and the bottom ring (us) are good

Shirokami
Dec 9, 2012, 10:54 PM
What we do in game is no different from what we're doing to planet Earth IRL.
So yeah, I'm ok with this, I'm a human and I'm made to destroy, kill and consume.

kisa707
Dec 9, 2012, 11:15 PM
im only slightly evil how can some one that beats little rappies to near death be compleatly evil

Griffin
Dec 10, 2012, 12:01 AM
I'm hoping for an update where we can transform into Falz versions of ourselves.

Sparzyle
Dec 10, 2012, 12:21 AM
I'm hoping for an update where we can transform into Falz versions of ourselves.
Duman+Beast?

Meji
Dec 10, 2012, 05:57 AM
If Arks were related to the Arkz, I have a feeling we'd fight alongside with the mobs. Now we're just wiping them all out for data. I feel like a bad guy here...

Still, it's a little silly they name them the (almost) same thing.

Darki
Dec 10, 2012, 06:36 AM
Personally I don't think that in particular is silly. I never played Ep3 so I can't say anything about that, but in PSO2 we are some sort of wandering civilization whose ships could be considered as "arks".

RedRaz0r
Dec 10, 2012, 02:18 PM
Personally I don't think that in particular is silly. I never played Ep3 so I can't say anything about that, but in PSO2 we are some sort of wandering civilization whose ships could be considered as "arks".

I also never played episode 3. My good pal that I play with regularly filled me in on the events that took place in Ep. 3 though.

[Ayumi]
Dec 10, 2012, 02:36 PM
If Arks were related to the Arkz, I have a feeling we'd fight alongside with the mobs. Now we're just wiping them all out for data. I feel like a bad guy here...

Still, it's a little silly they name them the (almost) same thing.

Not truly.
As I said, if it's hundreds or thousands of years into the past. Time have changed.
Things let's say people in the real world thousands of years ago are far from what we do today.
Once saw animals/monsters as friends/tools. Now see them as a threat and deciding the bes tthing to do is eliminate them all.

gigawuts
Dec 10, 2012, 03:08 PM
;2891305']Not truly.
As I said, if it's hundreds or thousands of years into the past. Time have changed.
Things let's say people in the real world thousands of years ago are far from what we do today.
Once saw animals/monsters as friends/tools. Now see them as a threat and deciding the bes tthing to do is eliminate them all.

Er, PSO2 is said specifically by Sakai, in an early interview, to only be a couple hundred years after PSO1.

[Ayumi]
Dec 10, 2012, 04:24 PM
Er, PSO2 is said specifically by Sakai, in an early interview, to only be a couple hundred years after PSO1.

Coupe hundred is still in the "Hundreds" they could've advanced a lot by then.
It took them 25 years just to make weapons in card forms they can hold onto easier.

Mysterious-G
Dec 10, 2012, 05:23 PM
;2891352']It took them 25 years just to make weapons in card forms they can hold onto easier.

That is not true. Developing the technology did not take this long; the reason CARD technology came into existence that late is that it is built on the germ, which is leftover material from the clash between Dark Falz and Olga Flowen. They found the germ very late, which is the reason for the late development of CARD technology.

On another note: The Arkz weren't the bad guys; it gives me a headache that people think that. They had knowledge about the true nature of the germ and thus tried to get rid of CARD technology and rightfully so. Their leader Red had his own selfish agenda (which in turn is justified to great extent), but the core members of the Arkz did not.

The Hunters, however? They worked for the power-hungry government that was not even interested in the origin of the germ and simply wanted to make use of its power. Your direct higher-up, while being selfish himself (he sends you to collect probes for his son's homework?), at the end of the story agrees that the germ should be destroyed albeit the government not wishing so, so you do.

The realization that you as a Hunter were just a pawn of the government while the Arkz just tried to save the people was one of the major "plot twists" the game had in store.

pikachief
Dec 10, 2012, 05:28 PM
Yes.

*reads contents of topic*

Oh I mean not at all...

blace
Dec 10, 2012, 05:32 PM
That is not true. Developing the technology did not take this long; the reason CARD technology came into existence that late is that it is built on the germ, which is leftover material from the clash between Dark Falz and Olga Flowen. They found the germ very late, which is the reason for the late development of CARD technology.

On another note: The Arkz weren't the bad guys; it gives me a headache that people think that. They had knowledge about the true nature of the germ and thus tried to get rid of CARD technology and rightfully so. Their leader Red had his own selfish agenda (which in turn is justified to great extent), but the core members of the Arkz did not.

The Hunters, however? They worked for the power-hungry government that was not even interested in the origin of the germ and simply wanted to make use of its power. Your direct higher-up, while being selfish himself (he sends you to collect probes for his son's homework?), at the end of the story agrees that the germ should be destroyed albeit the government not wishing so, so you do.

The realization that you as a Hunter were just a pawn of the government while the Arkz just tried to save the people was one of the major "plot twists" the game had in store.
Just seems like not many people actually played the game to figure the story.

In the end of it all, both Hunters and Arkz had pretty much come to the conclusion with the exception of the government and its current principal.

So far, the only key things that tie this game with PSO are the three races and the whole frontier to explore planets.