PDA

View Full Version : Reviews so far?

pionear
Dec 20, 2012, 02:08 PM
So to all who have/are currently playing PSO2, what kinda grade/number would you give it? Over on Gamefaqs, a few of the reviews been mixed, similar to PSU when it first came out.

eharima
Dec 20, 2012, 02:14 PM
great/10

gravityvx
Dec 20, 2012, 02:15 PM
8/10

It's a very solid game for a free to play, and generally what you'd expect from phantasy star online if not more. The main flaws are the terrible AI, difficulty & RNG. I won't go into anymore detail since this forum really can't stand opinions most of the time.

Sp-24
Dec 20, 2012, 02:16 PM
I agree with Gamefaqs on this one. This game is awesome, and, at the same time, it's "meh", and it's also a piece of crap. It's really surprisng how they've managed to combine such vastly different elements into one product, though I can't say I wouldn't rather have them get rid of the latter two.

The Walrus
Dec 20, 2012, 02:36 PM
I'd say 7/10. The best part of the game is definitely the combat. Everything else is kinda, eh.

pionear
Dec 20, 2012, 02:50 PM
8/10

It's a very solid game for a free to play, and generally what you'd expect from phantasy star online if not more. The main flaws are the terrible AI, difficulty & RNG. I won't go into anymore detail since this forum really can't stand opinions most of the time.

Wat is 'RNG'?

And damn, I was really hoping this game would recapture the magic of PSO/PS main series.

Still will play it though.

The Walrus
Dec 20, 2012, 02:59 PM
Random Number Generator. It's what decides stuff like drops, successful grinds, etc.

Insane food dish
Dec 20, 2012, 03:21 PM
8/10

I'm willing to raise it up to a 9/10 if the game gives me a Psycho Wand.

GreenArcher
Dec 20, 2012, 03:24 PM
The game is overall fun but so much of your gameplay is based on chance. There are very few things you can control.

Other than boss rushing, you can't even really focus on what monsters you want to hunt. This is the one thing in the game that really bothers me. Sure grinding sucks, affixing sucks, drop rates suck, but these things are all part of the genre (though other games make their time sinks less obvious). In PSO you had to battle the drop rates, hope your rare dropped with the %s you wanted, and then hope that the %s were high. But you could go look for your target monster at least.

Zyrusticae
Dec 20, 2012, 04:21 PM
The game is overall fun but so much of your gameplay is based on chance. There are very few things you can control.

Other than boss rushing, you can't even really focus on what monsters you want to hunt. This is the one thing in the game that really bothers me. Sure grinding sucks, affixing sucks, drop rates suck, but these things are all part of the genre (though other games make their time sinks less obvious). In PSO you had to battle the drop rates, hope your rare dropped with the %s you wanted, and then hope that the %s were high. But you could go look for your target monster at least.
Buh?

All you have to do is check the monster listings for the missions and see which one has the highest spawn % for the particular monster you're hunting.

Of course you're still subject to randomness, but it's hardly impossible.

As for me... 9/10. After realizing gunning for the super-uber-badass stats is entirely silly and pointless (the game really doesn't warrant it) and that the grinding/affixing system by extension is mostly optional, I have very little to mark the game down for.

The game can actually be extremely challenging at times, especially against certain bosses (*cough*damn cats*coughcough*). The only time this isn't true is in full or partially-full multi parties, where everything just gets swarmed to death by the onslaught of super-beings that are the ARKs. I suspect that the highly challenging fields and quests coming up next year are going to rectify this problem, however.

The Walrus
Dec 20, 2012, 04:41 PM
Banthers are only really challenging solo

GreenArcher
Dec 20, 2012, 05:07 PM
Buh?

All you have to do is check the monster listings for the missions and see which one has the highest spawn % for the particular monster you're hunting.

Of course you're still subject to randomness, but it's hardly impossible.

Exactly, more randomness. Now your highest spawn % is in an arks mission that nobody runs, you struggle to bring friends to come hunt with you if you get any at all. So now you're running around with a low player count, getting few monsters to spawn, hoping that your target monster is going to spawn....

Maybe it's just me but I'd rather there be a different mission structure than what we have.

Z-0
Dec 20, 2012, 05:14 PM
This game is challenging?

Even solo?

o.o

The first times you fight a boss, maybe, but if you look to improve your strategies and try to learn a boss' patterns (in other words, actually try to play the game well oh my god what a radical idea), the game is never really difficult.

Cyclon
Dec 20, 2012, 07:00 PM

Even solo?

o.o

The first times you fight a boss, maybe, but if you look to improve your strategies and try to learn a boss' patterns (in other words, actually try to play the game well oh my god what a radical idea), the game is never really difficult.
The problem being that against certain bosses, one tiny mistake can lead to death very quickly(instantly sometimes, looking at you ruin sub-boss that I forgot the name of), and dying alone means that you have to do the whole mission again, S-ranking it if you want decent loot before getting your next try. It's not even about how hard the bosses are to learn, it's how heavily errors are punished at times. Any amount of work on a mission can be destroyed like nothing when you solo, even with decent defensive gear.

The Walrus
Dec 20, 2012, 07:22 PM
Wolghada. The greatest boss ever when there's more than 1

Flame
Dec 20, 2012, 08:05 PM
6/10

There are some cool ideas but it's a very cheap feeling, shallow experience. It also has a weak visual identity and terrible level progression. Combat is amusing though.

Syklo
Dec 20, 2012, 08:21 PM

Even solo?

o.o

It also depends on your computer, you know.

I've been solo'ing nearly the entire game and the only parts I found challenging were the fang/snow twins and..........Zeshrayda on the first try, because I had no idea what "special" things could happen.

fang/snow twins, because....well sometimes my computer skips frames, and frame skipping with them basically makes it look like they teleport.
So you never know when they pounce on you.

tl;dr- it is challenging, for some people, for some parts.

EDIT:9.5/10. would be 10 for me if you could actually see dudu's grind percentages

Zyrusticae
Dec 20, 2012, 08:31 PM

Even solo?

o.o

Ehhhhhhhhh?

I've spent hours trying to get down Quartz Dragon's shit and I STILL can't get a handle on it. Am I really that terrible a player? (No, obviously, I am not, and fuck you if you think so!)

Moreover, trying to solo mobs in the ruins is often highly frustrating as you have to dodge all the time to not get swarmed by Dagans and Kradas (and those fish are extremely aggressive in VH mode). Of course you would never notice this if you just speed past them all the time or only run in MPs.

Of course you could also be one of the elite 0.001% of the player base that cannot be challenged by absolutely anything the game has to offer, in which case you should kindly stop speaking for everyone else thank you very much.

Ezodagrom
Dec 20, 2012, 08:38 PM
8/10, I'm enjoying the game alot, but I recognize that it has some flaws, and it has alot of room to evolve.

Polly
Dec 20, 2012, 08:43 PM
The Potential That Phantasy Star Online 2 Holds: 8/10
How That Potential Is Being Used: 3/10

Seravi Edalborez
Dec 20, 2012, 08:48 PM
My past experience with MMOs is a bit limited:

FFXI ~6 years
FFXIV year and a half
TERA open beta

Considering PSO2 is F2P, it's astounding that most things bought with AC are mostly for fashion/convenience rather than straight pay-to-win.

Combat is mostly "spam attacks, win everything" but I love the novelty of just being able to dodge attacks in real time. Probably not that novel to a PSO veteran I realize, but adds a nice visceral feel to battles. Maybe "challenging" isn't the right word for it, but I never feel really bored. That's my biggest piece of praise.

In a few ways it reminds me of Dragon's Dogma, which is in turn like Monster Hunter. Combat there is relatively complex like PSO2 but it's not necessary to use all of its intricacies. Lots of bosses to spice up adventuring.

Grindy nature of rares and Dudu is just to make you pay money or time/patience. Either way they win. I'm ok with this model personally.

8/10

Valkyrie Lovrina
Dec 20, 2012, 08:58 PM
honestly I'd give it a 6/10,

the weapon system feels to constricting and segregated. and another word that I can't think of right now(something like PSO2's weapon system isn't very personal). {mini rant}I do miss PSU's hybrid classes like Fighgunner and Wartecher but I really would have preferred PSP2's system of picking the weapon type I desired. down the line, I'm gonna have my 3 favorite Fighgunner weapons in Lov's inventory forever till the game dies when I finally find & have them all at the same time.

another issue is the Special Weapons don't feel very special. the latent ability system doesn't fix this at all unless they fix the grinding system(PSP2's Guaranteed Grind system, no failure rates plz) I would be glad for the latent ability system if Grinding was not a terrible RNG mess.

also, that I can't grasp this backward character progression of having you bumped back down to a level one character. the fact that they plan to release new weapon types only through a "New Class" really bothers me quite a bit. in PSO1 and PSU I really liked how my character went from rookie hero to full fledged hero and stood that way. now it feels bland knowing that I have to be bumped down to a tiny cubical just to equip new weapons. maybe its just that it bothers me they want to keep us down at level 1 and continue to segregate the weapon types like this. something feels amiss here. the game doesn't feel complete. Combat is amazing but....

just my ten cents

blace
Dec 20, 2012, 09:12 PM
6/10

Reasons mostly being pertained that it nearly always forces you having to need outside help and without it, being heavily punishing.

The RNG is another factor, it is nigh impossible to find what you're looking for and at best you'll mostly wind up getting a mediocre 7 star rarity weapon that is known as Vraolet.

The combat feels solid, but at times the skills and Photon Arts feel tacky and thrown in for novelty purposes(I'm talking about you, Messiah Time). There are PAs that are over the top, but it comes with a heavy PP usage to even initialize.

The environment at times, can be pretty nice, but the lack of creativity for the few that don't have anything spectacular to look at is pretty dull. Example, when running through caves, you're mostly looking at rock and more rock. In area 2, there are cracks in the ceiling that allow sunlight, but nothing more than blue sky and more rock.

The game has potential, just needs fine tuning and needs less luck based generators.

Ezodagrom
Dec 20, 2012, 09:17 PM
also, that I can't grasp this backward character progression of having you bumped back down to a level one character. the fact that they plan to release new weapon types only through a "New Class" really bothers me quite a bit. in PSO1 and PSU I really liked how my character went from rookie hero to full fledged hero and stood that way. now it feels bland knowing that I have to be bumped down to a tiny cubical just to equip new weapons. maybe its just that it bothers me they want to keep us down at level 1 and continue to segregate the weapon types like this. something feels amiss here. the game doesn't feel complete. Combat is amazing but....
I think there is a reason for each class lvl being separate, so the low lvl areas don't get too empty, for there to be experienced players to help out new players.

The "must be certain lvl in a certain class to unlock another class", that I don't like (having to be lvl 30 Hunter to unlock Fighter).

Keyblade59
Dec 20, 2012, 09:24 PM
8/10, one of the points is because I love the PSO series, otherwise its a very good game so far, but needs work here and there. I'm not demanding a carbon copy of what PSO/PSU/PSZ was (although they picked the best parts from it) but I feel some more things needed to be taken from it. I can get by the whole Dudu thing, but monster spawn rates and drop rates should be taken from PSO, I'd rather spend alot of time trying to get a "PSO 1&2 style" rogbelt than the "PSO2 style" rogbelt, mainly because PSO 1&2 made rare monsters annoyingly rare, but still enough to enjoy the game, and provided great drop rates for their stuff. Overall the drop rate system is very flawed, making even the weakest of weapons difficult to find if one plans on farming it.

My summary of the drop rate system "Get the drop you never wanted"

gigawuts
Dec 20, 2012, 10:16 PM
The Potential That Phantasy Star Online 2 Holds: 8/10
How That Potential Is Being Used: 3/10

Sums it up pretty well for me.

There's a lot of potential, and a bunch of content, but most of it's locked up behind the RNG and typical F2P method of giving players lots and lots of hurdles they can pay to get around.

It also becomes boring when you realize every next item is just the same damn thing you were using before with more damage, instead of something neat and different.

UnLucky
Dec 20, 2012, 10:25 PM
4/10. Control and interface issues, map progression is too slow, level progression is slow for minor improvements, gear progression is maddening for minor improvements, gameplay consists of mindless slogging through endless trash mobs for little gain, and the only challenging thing is avoiding stunlocks or outright oneshots.

"But it's free!" with basic functionality reserved for premium subscribers, cash shop items unavailable for sale for in game currency, drop system based around the luxury of a premium only trade function, and it's a huge gamble just to get a rare color of a rare purely cosmetic change instead of just having a color wheel which is already implemented. Even the preset colors for starter outfits or Cast detailings can have any color freely assigned- if you pay (or hack your character creation data somehow).

ZIE creations
Dec 20, 2012, 10:26 PM
So far, the Japanese Version of Phantasy Star Online 2 has gone extremely well. The game looks pretty good on the highest settings but can still run down pretty low to allow older computers to run the game at 30 FPS minimum. One of the strongest points for PSO2 is the combat. There are multiple play styles, and each feel completely different when played. I've yet to find any MMO (or game for that matter) that can execute this well, and PSO2 seems to have nailed it pretty well. At first the game starts off way too easy, like it should, but picks up pretty well into hard mode and very hard where AI become more aggressive and enemy stats scale faster then players. Rares are hard to find, like they should be. The only negative on rares is you don't need their stats since the game is mostly dodge / win since it is skill based. Most players complain about grinding not being super easy, I say shut up, the grinding isn't the easiest thing and you are rewarded for getting a +10 rare with extra abilities that make the weapon even stronger! The game's world is interesting and everything has its own feel, making areas and creatures feel their own creating a nice game environment. The game also challenges you to accomplish tasks to advance into new areas and new classes, such as time trial and fighting bosses with a certain weapon. One of the more pleasing features of PSO2 is it's turn away from competitive play. Everyone gets their own drops and everyone gets experience, gone are the days of greed and racing to hit all the creatures.

Overall the game is pretty great, amazing for a phantasy star game. Although die hard PSO fans will find no nostalgia, PSO2 advances what the series has done so far and is executing it very well with new concepts. Only problem so far being solo players will have more difficult times unlocking Very Hard quests and completing special client orders, but all and all, there really is nothing to win, and PSO2 is all about having fun.

When looked at as a Phantasy Star game, 10/10, as a game in general, 9/10 because it does what no other game does, leaving it little competition.

Requiem Aeternam
Dec 20, 2012, 10:29 PM
While I do enjoy the game a lot of its flaws put me off playing sometimes.

The main thing that annoys me is the almost non-existant amount of time you remain invulnerable to enemy attacks after just being attacked. In PSO1 you'd get a few seconds before the enemies could hit you again. Now they can hit you before your character gets back on their feet which is making unlocking V.hard total hell for me. Also the animation that has to play every time you use an item is total bullshit as it leaves you totally vulnerable to attacks. Seriously, what's the point of this?

RNG also annoys me but others have already said why it sucks.

Some of the bosses are far too difficult to solo on higher difficulties at the end of the free field areas (namely Quartz Dragon and the Snow pair on Hard). No matter what I do they always find a way to f*** me over (mainly due to the first issue I mentioned). I have to spend hours on end doing free fields in the hopes that Banthers and Quartzes will appear that never happens.

Other minor stuff that annoys me.
[SPOILER-BOX]- That Code: Collect with the drills. I HATE this and it always appears when I don't want it too. Never do it, never will. :nono:
- Mag feeding is slow.
- The stuff I want in Player shops being expensive and me not being able to afford it.
- Hans still hating me no matter how many COs I do for him.
- The game putting me in the same MPAs as RMTers or putting them in my MPAs.
- Breeahda (too much HP and they spawn Dagan, lots of Dagan, and then they fly from side to side to further piss me off).
- The story is a bit dry.
[/SPOILER-BOX]
Overall I'd give this game 7/10. Despite all the stuff that annoys me I still enjoy it but I still feel that Sega could make a lot of improvements.

yunamon
Dec 20, 2012, 11:34 PM
Some say yay, some say nay, I say oh yeeeaaahhhhhhh!

Syklo
Dec 20, 2012, 11:42 PM
The main thing that annoys me is the almost non-existant amount of time you remain invulnerable to enemy attacks after just being attacked. In PSO1 you'd get a few seconds before the enemies could hit you again. Now they can hit you before your character gets back on their feet which is making unlocking V.hard total hell for me. Also the animation that has to play every time you use an item is total bullshit as it leaves you totally vulnerable to attacks. Seriously, what's the point of this?

Some of the bosses are far too difficult to solo on higher difficulties at the end of the free field areas (namely Quartz Dragon and the Snow pair on Hard). No matter what I do they always find a way to f*** me over (mainly due to the first issue I mentioned). I have to spend hours on end doing free fields in the hopes that Banthers and Quartzes will appear that never happens.

Firstly, 2 words: Just Reversal.
Now I can see why you're complaining about the animation length of using an item, but I find it just as silly to not have one at all. It would be better if it could play the animation AS YOU MOVE, imo.

What are you currently though? the Snow twins/QD shouldn't be THAT hard at the point when you're about to unlock VH.

10/10 game of the year

imo enemies HP needs to scale depending on the amount of players in the instance. should be fine if that happens

also complaining about RNG is basically like complaining about the lottery

Are you suggesting people DON'T complain about the lottery?

EDIT:

Some say yay, some say nay, I say oh yeeeaaahhhhhhh!
And I say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09s-c2JVI40

Laxedrane
Dec 21, 2012, 12:10 AM
10/10 game of the year

imo enemies HP needs to scale depending on the amount of players in the instance. should be fine if that happens

also complaining about RNG is basically like complaining about the lottery

I get confused by this complaint. Even the old school PSO used it, offline RPGs use it, hell I even know a tactics game that uses it.

It's a fair complaint, I am not saying people shouldn't complain but people acting like this is ONE terrible idea that EXCLUSIVELY SEGA had is perplexing. Is it the best system out there... No, but I be interested to hear of an MMO with a better system. Maybe we can provide sega with better criticism other then we don't like it.

Also this concept of "Locking Content away with RNG" also bewilders me. No area is locked hard to excess. No boss demands every player be at the top of the class with gear. Does it keep us from getting our choice of weapon sometimes? Yes.

But even if you just complain about not being able to upgrade your gear. There's 4-6 star weapons the scale up and compete accordingly well. There's 10 star that come from irastas. And there's plenty of 7-9 stars buyable off the player shops still that compete at base and grind up well enough to still be current. Are they the absolute best? No, but this game offers more for less in terms of accessible gear then most previous titles.

So it requires us to spend a little(Or a lot) more time for our dream gear while giving us decent alternatives statistically. I think that's a fairer shake then most games give.

I give the game a 7/10. Like many others I find the game just plain fun. The steady flow of clothes, maps and story keep me decently motivated. And well the game play is just fun, and after playing an MMO that I continually hated the game-play but the story and challenging battles with good friends kept me going. It's nice to... Well relax go out and just have fun.

There's still a lot of potential in this game and while I think what people have said is true that a lot of that potential is not being used or used incorrectly. I think sega making a good effort and a noticeable one. Any serious misteps they've been quick to correct. And while there still some stagnation in the game(Doo doo we are all looking at you and all you represent) I think it's still an enjoyable experience weather you pay for it or not.

Syklo
Dec 21, 2012, 02:24 AM
No, but I be interested to hear of an MMO with a better system. Maybe we can provide sega with better criticism other then we don't like it.

Mabinogi has an upgrade system where once a weapon/piece of armor gains enough "proficiency" (i.e. used for its purpose a number of times), you can choose an upgrade using the "proficiency" and some money as the cost, and it's a GUARANTEED UPGRADE (there isn't any +1-+5 crap like in some other MMO's, but it still counts as upgrading).

RNG does apply for repairing in that MMO, but at least you have some control on the odds.

jooozek
Dec 21, 2012, 03:31 AM
3/10, too much dumbed down stuff and way too reliant on rng, game seems to cater to apologists

Lumpen Thingy
Dec 21, 2012, 06:26 AM
probably an 8 or 8.5 despite the lack of challenge and some of the bs ac stuff I still find it fun.

Requiem Aeternam
Dec 21, 2012, 08:51 AM
Firstly, 2 words: Just Reversal.
Now I can see why you're complaining about the animation length of using an item, but I find it just as silly to not have one at all. It would be better if it could play the animation AS YOU MOVE, imo.

What are you currently though? the Snow twins/QD shouldn't be THAT hard at the point when you're about to unlock VH.

Even with Just Reversal I sometimes still get hit again before I can react. Playing the item animation when moving would probably solve most of my problems. Hopefully Sega make it happen.

My main class is Lv44 (thanks to Xie's COs) and my subclass is 18 or something. I can defeat the Snow Twins on Hard now but I still have some trouble when the second one comes down before I've killed the first one. The Quartz Dragon just repeatedly hits me before I can use any healing items.

Silver_Wyrm
Dec 21, 2012, 09:06 AM
using an item while moving would be silly, you'd pretty much never get hit, and having to time their use would rarely matter anymore. As it stands you need to avoid the attack and find the right moment to use an item, typically when an attack opportunity would normally be. Generally if I get hit while using an item (which is more often than i should), its my fault. People already complain about it being too easy, healing becoming press button while running around would make it far easier.

Snow twins leave plenty of item openings, count their jumps to know when you have time and stay far away so they don't use the fast hop. Quartz dragon shouldn't be hitting you if your not attacking and actively avoiding (dodge op), just wait for him to bury his face in the ground then eat a mate. If your a hunter though then hes just a ***** to fight.

Next, leveling your sub helps ALOT, you get all the skill and 20% of the stats but the stat gains at low level are quite high, that helps too.

With that said, my biggest problem is how they treat melee in this game. Damage output doesnt matter if I spend 2/3 of the fight trying to be in a position to swing maybe once or twice, hopefully get a pa off (hi quartz dragon). Then some enemies have some weird hitboxing, claws I jump far over that still hit me for example. Worst though is the rare banther. Normal banther I can safely stand behind and avoid the back kick, if he jumps, I dont get hit (I mean, he doesn't even touch me) the rare banther, if I am standing even near his TAIL when he hops at someone in front of him (opposite of me) I instantly get hit twice for 600~ damage each and die. This also happens if I am in front or side...I mean, wth? You cant really see that hop coming and I need to swing in SOMETIME, unless I wanna gunslash for 100 a shot the entire fight.

Too many fights I feel like I'm getting carried not because I'm not playing well, but because I can never freaking attack or every attack is some kind of weird aoe even if it doesn't look like it. I even have weapons with pas for the purpose of closing in and I still sometimes hardly get a hit in.

edit: Also, using mates while moving would not help "boss combo attacked me" issue, if you had time to chomp a mate while moving, you had time to dodge.

Cyclon
Dec 21, 2012, 09:22 AM
Train, train, train, and then train some more. Also get the best defensive gear you can to mitigate cheap deaths. Hp drink when you're going up against a boss you know you have a hard time fighting. Consider maxing automate halfline if you have enough points left. Consider dropping fury stance for guard stance. That's all I can say really...

Of course real idiots men don't do any of the last three8-)
Those die a lot though...

Silver_Wyrm
Dec 21, 2012, 09:29 AM
Train, train, train, and then train some more. Also get the best defensive gear you can to mitigate cheap deaths. Hp drink when you're going up against a boss you know you have a hard time fighting. Consider maxing automate halfline if you have enough points left. Consider dropping fury stance for guard stance. That's all I can say really...

Of course real idiots men don't do any of the last three8-)
Those die a lot though...

Yea they do >_> I'm working on what my anti measure will be XD

Saffran
Dec 21, 2012, 10:05 AM
Even with all its flaws as to the RNG, I still really love that game.

For the difficult bosses, I'd advise Deband Drink EX + bringing some NPCs (Aki, Jean, Afin) for a cheap chance at some free weak bullets.

Cagedtaytay
Dec 21, 2012, 10:10 AM
They could add more hub areas rather then just the first and second floor of a ship.
Unless Im retarded and theres more then that.

Rien
Dec 21, 2012, 11:19 AM
They could add more hub areas rather then just the first and second floor of a ship.
Unless Im retarded and theres more then that.

Define floor because the shop area has 3 freakin' floors/layers and the gate area has two.

Cagedtaytay
Dec 21, 2012, 11:49 AM
Define floor because the shop area has 3 freakin' floors/layers and the gate area has two.

Areas that you can teleport to.

Syklo
Dec 21, 2012, 08:32 PM
using an item while moving would be silly, you'd pretty much never get hit, and having to time their use would rarely matter anymore. As it stands you need to avoid the attack and find the right moment to use an item, typically when an attack opportunity would normally be. Generally if I get hit while using an item (which is more often than i should), its my fault. People already complain about it being too easy, healing becoming press button while running around would make it far easier.

edit: Also, using mates while moving would not help "boss combo attacked me" issue, if you had time to chomp a mate while moving, you had time to dodge.

Is it any different from charging a technic, say, shifta or resta? Seriously, would it essentially be THAT different?
'mates are freaking DRINKS; who says you can't move while drinking? Atomizers and traps are a different thing though; leaving them to require you being idle to use them is fine by me, but 'mates? ugh, stupid.

You also make that sound as if drinking while running makes you invincible and would have the same duration...

@the EDIT; so what? It's the player's choice to determine whether to risk successfully dodging the attack (combo) altogether, or gulp down a mate and try to endure it entirely.

P.S. I don't use mates at all, resta ftw!

The Walrus
Dec 21, 2012, 08:36 PM
Automate halfline

psycho4r5
Dec 22, 2012, 09:37 PM
Wat is 'RNG'?

And damn, I was really hoping this game would recapture the magic of PSO/PS main series.

Still will play it though.

Honestly man, take it from me, this game DOES recapture the magic of PSO ep1&2. If you were dissappointed by phantasy star universe but you loved PSO back in the day then this is the game you have been waiting all these years for (Some may disagree with me but I honestly dont see how, if you were a fan of DC or GC PSO then your about to fall in love with this game just as I have) There are some great games out right now that I truly love like counter strike global offensive and even that hasnt been able to take me away from PSO2

Gen2000
Dec 23, 2012, 04:47 PM
On the issue using mate drinks while running, they could treat it like Vindicutus where doing similar action resulted in being healed but for a terrible amount (because you're spilling most of the drink while running) compared to just standing still and drinking to get the full benefit of the heal. You had options.

Anyway, the way mates work in this game is fine by me, coming from Monster Hunter were you did flex poses after each heal, now that was some trolling.

More on-topic, as a review for this game...for a "Free" game I find it to be good what it provides. Knowing what I know of the game now and if it was paid retail release, I probably wouldn't pay for it on Day 1 or anything. I don't want to get too wordy on my feelings on it since the main issues have been beaten on already.

Combat is cool but lack of good enemies/bosses to use the mechanics on. Hardly any difference in difficulty levels. Inability to participate in market/trade with friends/community without paying real money (or get lucky with FUN scratch) is a pretty big nono in a loot heavy game. The account bound items doesn't help on that fact either. Heavy RNG mindset really shows its age with this game. At the end of the day though, I just log on, look at my cool design characters and wack/nuke stuff, just mindless fun. The benefit of being F2P I guess.

FacelessRed
Dec 23, 2012, 05:17 PM
My biggest issue with the game is doo doo, he's a piece of DooDoo. SO much of this game is headed in the right direction. I hope it will reach the depth of PSO ep 1&2 with the scope of items (equivalent items etc)

2nd Biggest issue, Male Cast look like crap. What happened to the original Cast design?

Graphics could have been ramped up a BIT, but I'm honestly not bothered by it. It's better to make a game more accessible than high end and empty.

I would get more in depth but I am going to work tomorrow and it's about time for bed.

Agitated_AT
Dec 23, 2012, 05:56 PM
RNG is the last thing i'd complain about. Maybe the RNG is a little too harsh for some, but none of the things are essential for you to progress and experience so as long that isn't the case, i'll let the RNG do its thing and when I do find a rare or whatever without expecting it, it feels all the better.

What I don't understand is that people leave out the fact we have a playershop now. Isn't that a good compensation with the harsh RNG? I would think so.

Also if everything was so easy to get the playershop would as well be useless so if your RNG complaints end up being adressed(which would be a very irresponsible thing of the developers to do), the market would basically die off.

About the 10*> not being tradeable. I think that is totally justified in my opinion. The game is F2P MMORPG. If you'd be able to get everything so easily in a F2P game, then literally nothing would require any efforts for those who are rich or whatever. F2P with ingame purchases are always designed this way and people will always complain. My advice, use your brains and think for a change. Don't let your selfishness influence your opinion but try to see things from a broader perspective.

This is basically another one of my rants where I say people are simply complaining about the wrong things.

What matters the most is whether achieving things is a fun experience in this game. Making up goals for yourself isn't a problem, but do you actually enjoy the experience that leads towards your goals? In other words, is the field experience fun in this game?

The combat is definitely top notch and it lends to such a great potential and engaging game. While the game is definitely going towards the right direction in some aspects, in a lot of other aspects it feels like what should be the main attraction, is put in the backseat of things that are important. The fields sometimes just feel like a mess. There's a boss at the end of an area, but there is almost 0 encouragement to get to the end(aside from the occasional CO, which sometimes lead to boring games like boss rushes). This results into boring, long lasting back and forth MPA games. I will never understand how people don't get bored after an hour.

This type of play is literally encouraged in this game because they are the most rewarding. But it also makes a lot of people clash and I've noticed that people don't join each others party because of this. The way to do it in this game is to have friends, communicate and then see if you can find someone who can join you at that moment knowing your playstyle and what your missions are. This is flawed "compared" to the first PSO. It's probably not worse than PSU(allthough i'm not sure) or even other MMO's, but defenitly a step backwards from the first PSO.

I think the flaw here is that the reward system is broken. You get rewarded for very boring gameplay methods. This should not be the case. Endlessly running back and forth should not be the most rewarding way to play unless if it's a special occasion like emergency missions, but not always.

I agree that the fields look a bit dull as Flame mentioned earlier in this thread, but ruins looks amazing so I hope they'll lift up that standard consistently from there on.

Other than that I love this game, but what I love even more is its potential so because of all this i'll have to give the game a 6/10

A game I love for personal reasons, but objectively has a lot of flaws which will prevent the franchise from becoming larger than it deserves

FacelessRed
Dec 23, 2012, 06:28 PM
RNG is the last thing i'd complain about. Maybe the RNG is a little too harsh for some, but none of the things are essential for you to progress and experience so as long that isn't the case, i'll let the RNG do its thing and when I do find a rare or whatever without expecting it, it feels all the better.

What I don't understand is that people leave out the fact we have a playershop now. Isn't that a good compensation with the harsh RNG? I would think so.

Also if everything was so easy to get the playershop would as well be useless so if your RNG complaints end up being adressed(which would be a very irresponsible thing of the developers to do), the market would basically die off.

An RNG system doesn't need to exist to make player shop's viable (in regards to + weapons). if it's going to cost 1million -3 million meseta to + a 10 star weapon then it can just as easily be done with a non RNG solution that requires the same amount of time without the backward crap. RNG has no excuse to exist except it's a lazy way to make people feel satisfied and disguise the grind behind the game. +10 could easily be replaced by a +100 or even +200 + system, where it equates to the same as +10 except it doesn't fail. if it costs the same and the same amount of time sink/money sink then player shops are still just as viable. (And I'd never buy a bloody grinder off of player shops 12k a pop on ship 1)

gigawuts
Dec 23, 2012, 06:35 PM

About the 10*> not being tradeable. I think that is totally justified in my opinion. The game is F2P MMORPG. If you'd be able to get everything so easily in a F2P game, then literally nothing would require any efforts for those who are rich or whatever. F2P with ingame purchases are always designed this way and people will always complain. My advice, use your brains and think for a change. Don't let your selfishness influence your opinion but try to see things from a broader perspective.

This is basically another one of my rants where I say people are simply complaining about the wrong things.

What matters the most is whether achieving things is a fun experience in this game. Making up goals for yourself isn't a problem, but do you actually enjoy the experience that leads towards your goals? In other words, is the field experience fun in this game?

The combat is definitely top notch and it lends to such a great potential and engaging game. While the game is definitely going towards the right direction in some aspects, in a lot of other aspects it feels like what should be the main attraction, is put in the backseat of things that are important. The fields sometimes just feel like a mess. There's a boss at the end of an area, but there is almost 0 encouragement to get to the end(aside from the occasional CO, which sometimes lead to boring games like boss rushes). This results into boring, long lasting back and forth MPA games. I will never understand how people don't get bored after an hour.

This type of play is literally encouraged in this game because they are the most rewarding. But it also makes a lot of people clash and I've noticed that people don't join each others party because of this. The way to do it in this game is to have friends, communicate and then see if you can find someone who can join you at that moment knowing your playstyle and what your missions are. This is flawed "compared" to the first PSO. It's probably not worse than PSU(allthough i'm not sure) or even other MMO's, but defenitly a step backwards from the first PSO.

I think the flaw here is that the reward system is broken. You get rewarded for very boring gameplay methods. This should not be the case. Endlessly running back and forth should not be the most rewarding way to play unless if it's a special occasion like emergency missions, but not always.

I agree that the fields look a bit dull as Flame mentioned earlier in this thread, but ruins looks amazing so I hope they'll lift up that standard consistently from there on.

Other than that I love this game, but what I love even more is its potential so because of all this i'll have to give the game a 6/10

A game I love for personal reasons, but objectively has a lot of flaws which will prevent the franchise from becoming larger than it deserves

You really need to finish the game's content before you critique it like other people who have finished the content.

Cyclon
Dec 23, 2012, 06:42 PM
The fields sometimes just feel like a mess. There's a boss at the end of an area, but there is almost 0 encouragement to get to the end(aside from the occasional CO, which sometimes lead to boring games like boss rushes). This results into boring, long lasting back and forth MPA games. I will never understand how people don't get bored after an hour.
Rare bosses actually give a very good reason to go to the end of an area. Also, it seems better to kill quite a lot of enemies beforehand if you want it to drop anything good.
It's only for very hard though, but it balances things a bit. Of course mpas are still rocking.

jooozek
Dec 23, 2012, 06:55 PM
Rare bosses actually give a very good reason to go to the end of an area. Also, it seems better to kill quite a lot of enemies beforehand if you want it to drop anything good.
It's only for very hard though, but it balances things a bit. Of course mpas are still rocking though.

Good point, this also reminded me that 3 of my 10* rares dropped from rare bosses (2 launcher from agranis and 1 pair of wolga hands from alonghtaadaw/e).

Syklo
Dec 23, 2012, 07:00 PM
What I find really stupid is the quest results shown after you complete a quest from the quest counter.

Unless I left a blind eye, NONE OF THEM Give "exp" as a reward, only meseta.
Yet EXP is shown as a possible reward

Will there ever be a quest that rewards with EXP on completion?
I doubt it.

@RNG Complainers - Isn't not having RNG worse than having some sort of randomiser at all?
I was going to type up an argument defending RNG, but figured that would be a bit silly so I'll just say this:
if RNG screws you over, bad luck, try again next time.
I'd complain if RNG was biased in anyway or otherwise a predefined sequence, but it isn't from my point of view.

jooozek
Dec 23, 2012, 07:08 PM
It's all fun and games till you are that guy that busted 8 full risk grind protectors to go from +8 to +8. Just saying. Don't think that the hate for d00d00 is unjustified.

Agitated_AT
Dec 23, 2012, 07:13 PM
An RNG system doesn't need to exist to make player shop's viable (in regards to + weapons). if it's going to cost 1million -3 million meseta to + a 10 star weapon then it can just as easily be done with a non RNG solution that requires the same amount of time without the backward crap. RNG has no excuse to exist except it's a lazy way to make people feel satisfied and disguise the grind behind the game. +10 could easily be replaced by a +100 or even +200 + system, where it equates to the same as +10 except it doesn't fail. if it costs the same and the same amount of time sink/money sink then player shops are still just as viable. (And I'd never buy a bloody grinder off of player shops 12k a pop on ship 1)

I agree when it comes to other things than the field. I was mostly talking about the RNG in drops. I thought that was a common thing in games or isn't it?

@gigawuts

I think I have a good idea of what the game is. What end content do I have to reach before I can make good judgement of the game? In my review i've only been talking about the things I do know about. I didn't mention the difficulty just for the fact I took your words in trust in our previous conversation. Instead i've spoken about the field experience in general.

However if you mean that on VH unwords there's a whole different experience, with no mpa area games with a duration of more than an hour of back and forth running parties, then i'll take back my words. It would still be an odd thing that it would take that long for a game to show "its true potential". Correct me if i'm wrong though

It's only for very hard though, but it balances things a bit. Of course mpas are still rocking.

Yeah the RNG is probably allrigh. It's really the last of my concernes. But then again I never really put priority finding rares in a PSO game. They're supposed to be the things in the back of your head encouraging you to keep playing, but the experience to achieve said things are supposed to make the ride worth it even if you didn't get what you want. This is supposed to be consistent and I really felt that way with the first PSO.

I don't know if it's just me not seeing the actual game in the game, or that i'm playing it the wrong way perhaps? I'll try to keep an open mind about it

Z-0
Dec 23, 2012, 07:32 PM
The RNG is definitely a problem, and definitely worth complaining about, but I don't think it's the worst aspect of PSO2.

Xenobia
Dec 23, 2012, 08:10 PM
I won't go into anymore detail since this forum really can't stand opinions most of the time.
This forum is way to biased, majority cant judge from a unbiased point of view so i wont make much comments regarding this matter. Have to be expected its a lot of true fans, its difficult to think neutral.

Heat Haze
Dec 23, 2012, 08:21 PM
My only major gripes would have to be..

The RNG. The Economy.
As far as the RNG goes, it's mostly fine. Until you realize, the long streaks of successes/failures are not uncommon. Of course, it could just be their own luck but in the eyes of many it seems to be more than just a coincidence.
The economy? It's bad. The value of meseta is going down pretty hard. When sell backs get nerfed to 1/4th of their original value; people turned to Time Attack COs (Really, Time Attack is fun as is. COs aren't necessary); which simply injects 600k-ish worth of meseta into the economy. The current money sinks aren't enough to deal with that; as most of it is swirling around in player shops.

Smaller issues would be..

Single Party vs. Multi Party, Content.
Basically, it seems as though you're punished for trying to do things solo. Content, it seems grindy but that seems to be the nature of MMOs so I can't fault Sega here.

Mostly everything else is good in my opinion.

Syklo
Dec 23, 2012, 08:28 PM
Basically, it seems as though you're punished for trying to do things solo.

Really?
In my eyes, solo is a BENEFIT.
Can someone enlighten me as to how solo'ing is "punished"?

Z-0
Dec 23, 2012, 08:38 PM
Oo

In a party (even just a party of 4), you get more enemies, thus more drops, more EXP, and more bursts, which now gives more enemies, which now gives more drops and even more EXP. If you're boss hunting (miniboss, specifically), you get more bosses at the end of a run.

When you play solo, everywhere is like a desert, there are hardly any enemies (even with 3 NPCs), thus you don't get many drops, not much EXP, not many bursts, even if you do get one you get like 1 enemy, thus leading to far less drops and far less EXP. You also only get one miniboss at the end of a boss run also.

If you do TA, solo takes more time (although still not very long unless you insist on using all your favourite stuff instead of trying to get to the end as fast as you can!), which means less meseta in the long run, as it's much faster with a group of people.

What exactly is the benefit of solo'ing? lol.

Syklo
Dec 23, 2012, 08:42 PM
The single-player experience.

It's as close to kingdom hearts as I can get from an MMO :3
Also less stress on my laptop; having a 12-player PSE/CROSS Burst really heats it up ;_;
and people actually hunt (trash) mobs FOR EXP? ugh, I sure don't; only the drops are what I want.

The Walrus
Dec 23, 2012, 09:09 PM
>Single Player experience

>MMO

Son I don't quite think you understand the point of an MMO

Also no one really hunts trash mobs for EXP, it's just that having more of them allows you to complete stuff faster

Syklo
Dec 23, 2012, 10:31 PM
>Single Player experience

>MMO

Son I don't quite think you understand the point of an MMO

Maybe if I knew how to make friends on this JP server on this ship (.8.) - Main reason that I'll be moving over to the EN server, even though I've racked up 500 something hours on JP.
But please, tell me what IS this point of an MMO? I don't see it as an MMO; I see it as another GAME with multiplayer: something to enjoy, whether by solo or group.

Lumpen Thingy
Dec 23, 2012, 10:40 PM
Maybe if I knew how to make friends on this JP server on this ship (.8.) - Main reason that I'll be moving over to the EN server, even though I've racked up 500 something hours on JP.
But please, tell me what IS this point of an MMO? I don't see it as an MMO; I see it as another GAME with multiplayer: something to enjoy, whether by solo or group.

if you were in ship 2 I don't think you would have a problem finding English speakers

Ryno
Dec 23, 2012, 10:52 PM
6/10

There are some cool ideas but it's a very cheap feeling, shallow experience. It also has a weak visual identity and terrible level progression. Combat is amusing though.

Sweet my time to make a constructive criticizm about the game.

To be honest 6-5/10 for some reason I still like PSU better , but ill still play just to keep the phantasy star streak going. Graphics are great .
But PSu because of the lobbies go I can just go anywhere.
I know since this is like original pso I still would prefer original PSO . Because if this is PSO2 why don't they just expand it from Orginal PSO just like PSU how they did If you want it to be like original PSO than .should have just made an expansion instead of Pso2 . Everything is basically PSO Orginal related might as well make it expansion wise
Speaking of the same with fighting the bosses . Why does it all have to be ground fighting bosses. Can it have like something on the air? I've notice that. Oh well don't reply to my message I'm just saying. If you do don't cause iWont reply back.
And with the ships in the game. That's dumb. Because you can't meet other friends. ��
P.s. they shouldn't have put those PSP creatures and bosses on the portable it ruins it! PSP even looks Bette than pso2. If English servers come that will boost it up to a 6/10 can't stand JP version even if English patch is installed.

The Walrus
Dec 23, 2012, 11:01 PM

The point of an mmo is to form groups and go kill things, get better loot, repeat till you delete it in rage :/

Remember that by design MMO's are multiplayer games that just so happen to have plots for those crazy solo players

Syklo
Dec 24, 2012, 02:19 AM
if you were in ship 2 I don't think you would have a problem finding English speakers
Not my fault that my RL friend (whom I got PSO2 from because it's too big for me to download) chose to start in ship 8 ;_;

The point of an mmo is to form groups and go kill things, get better loot, repeat till you delete it in rage :/

Remember that by design MMO's are multiplayer games that just so happen to have plots for those crazy solo players
No wonder people ask me how I don't get bored of an MMO. How dull of them.

and You Callin' me crazy?
Hey I just met you,
and this is CRAAAZZYY
But here's my ID
So call me maybe~

Cyclon
Dec 24, 2012, 08:55 AM

This ain't World of warcraft you know. Since this game is based on player's skill a lot more, soloing is possible. Plus it's challenging, especially if you compare it to multiplayer. Some people need challenge to have fun.
Besides, PSO and PSZ were games that could be experienced and enjoyed while playing solo; in fact some people did just that, and never went online(PSU was something else entirely). So since there is no "offline" mode in this game, it's to be exepcted to see people playing alone online.

The Walrus
Dec 24, 2012, 10:42 AM
I know that it's not WoW and that PSO1 had an offline mode, which was likely only done because of the time it came out. PSZ wasn't even an mmo, it was primarily a single player game with multiplayer thrown cause its a PS game. Hell I played PSO solo for years since I didn't have my GC connected to the net and I know people that solo WoW...and love it...
All I'm trying to say is that this game was designed as a multiplayer experience aside from the story mode which is single player.

That said its funny how a game based on player skill is so easy isn't it

Cyclon
Dec 24, 2012, 01:46 PM
I know that it's not WoW and that PSO1 had an offline mode, which was likely only done because of the time it came out. PSZ wasn't even an mmo, it was primarily a single player game with multiplayer thrown cause its a PS game. Hell I played PSO solo for years since I didn't have my GC connected to the net and I know people that solo WoW...and love it...
All I'm trying to say is that this game was designed as a multiplayer experience aside from the story mode which is single player.

Wether it's easy or not has nothing to do with it. Performance on Wow is almost exclusively dependent on gear; here, player performance has a much bigger role.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Dec 24, 2012, 02:16 PM
Wether it's easy or not has nothing to do with it. Performance on Wow is almost exclusively dependent on gear; here, player performance has a much bigger role.

Class is also a major factor in WoW soloing. Hunters, Paladins, and Death Knights have been consistently good at soloing for different reasons. Hunters have plenty of mobility along with pets to take the damage for them (and Hunters can heal those pets themselves.) Paladins have both strong armor and numerous healing abilities. Death Knights... are tough and have healing techniques too, but they are also good at spreading DOTs. Meanwhile, pure DPS classes such as Rogues may have techniques that are useful for invading dungeons alone, but they ultimately aren't as effective in solo play. Gear and skill can remedy this, but they will be outclassed by a player of equal skill and gear level that plays a more solo-oriented class.

Noblewine
Dec 24, 2012, 02:17 PM
As long as this game gets a decent review I will enjoy it. I am curious if anyone has mentioned the item mall and if it helps or ruins the game.

Zyrusticae
Dec 24, 2012, 02:20 PM
As long as this game gets a decent review I will enjoy it. I am curious if anyone has mentioned the item mall and if it helps or ruins the game.
There is no item mall.

There is only the gatcha.

Personally, I would like the game more if it actually had an item mall in addition to the gatcha.

Noblewine
Dec 24, 2012, 02:23 PM
There is no item mall.

There is only the gatcha.

Personally, I would like the game more if it actually had an item mall in addition to the gatcha.

Oh. So its a gacha? Thanks.

Silver_Wyrm
Dec 24, 2012, 04:45 PM
Oh. So its a gacha? Thanks.

every form of progression the game is essentially gambling on top of gambling on top of gambling. Basically, sega has a gambling addiction and I think they need help.

the above is my biggest issue (moreso then some annoying melee stuff), you can put all the time and effort required, and someone can put in 10x less or more and theres no telling if the rng will have decided to award you efforts or not. It can be very frustrating for some people.

Heat Haze
Dec 24, 2012, 04:49 PM
every form of progression the game is essentially gambling on top of gambling on top of gambling. Basically, sega has a gambling addiction and I think they need help.

the above is my biggest issue (moreso then some annoying melee stuff), you can put all the time and effort required, and someone can put in 10x less or more and theres no telling if the rng will have decided to award you efforts or not. It can be very frustrating for some people.

It's not that Sega needs help, it's the players that need help who gamble that much.

They're exploiting the gambling nature of people, and it's doing well for them.

Sp-24
Dec 24, 2012, 05:01 PM
True, but I am still not going to recommend this game to others just because of something that Sega enjoys and I don't. That combat system can only last a game so long when almost everything else is either underwhelming or just horribly done. Even I'm getting a little tired of months of seeing the stuff that I want NOT drop EVER, and some people experience the same thing, but lose real money, and not just free time. And yeah, that's not even to mention grinding, a.k.a. Sega Masochism Services.

Flame
Dec 24, 2012, 10:28 PM
True, but I am still not going to recommend this game to others just because of something that Sega enjoys and I don't. That combat system can only last a game so long when almost everything else is either underwhelming or just horribly done. Even I'm getting a little tired of months of seeing the stuff that I want NOT drop EVER, and some people experience the same thing, but lose real money, and not just free time. And yeah, that's not even to mention grinding, a.k.a. Sega Masochism Services.

Agreed. I have been trying to convince myself for months that this game isn't garbage but the more I play the more it becomes clear that this is not only a failure as a sequel, but a failure as a game in general. They should have made a great single player game first, a shallow multiplayer grindfest second. It feels more like a cheap combat app than an actual game.

At this point my hope is that they decide to rerelease PSO1 on PSN/Xboxlive somewhere along the line so that people can experience that great game once again in its entirety. PSO2 on the other hand can be left by a ditch somewhere to die.

Rien
Dec 24, 2012, 10:42 PM
"This whole game is basically one massive pile of RNGception."

There, done in one sentence.

Ezodagrom
Dec 24, 2012, 10:53 PM
Agreed. I have been trying to convince myself for months that this game isn't garbage but the more I play the more it becomes clear that this is not only a failure as a sequel, but a failure as a game in general. They should have made a great single player game first, a shallow multiplayer grindfest second. It feels more like a cheap combat app than an actual game.

At this point my hope is that they decide to rerelease PSO1 on PSN/Xboxlive somewhere along the line so that people can experience that great game once again in its entirety. PSO2 on the other hand can be left by a ditch somewhere to die.
The way you post about PSO2 makes it seem more like that you would have hated it independently of how good or bad it is, you're always looking at it with a negative mindset, so of course you're not going to like it.
PSO2 has some big flaws which definitely need to be addressed, but to me the positives outweight the negatives.

Oh, and shallow multiplayer grindfest you say? That sounds just like PSO1 ultimate mode.

Zyrusticae
Dec 25, 2012, 12:04 AM
Fortunately, I was never delusional enough to expect anything other than fun combat, nifty items, sweet character customization and crazy bosses from a PSO game.

Also fortunately, I never did give a shit about the "special" items in the original PSO, so their absence in the sequel is not missed.

The Walrus
Dec 25, 2012, 12:24 AM
The problem is that without interesting items to grind for there really isn't any reason to keep playing the game unless you like the bosses and other players THAT MUCH

Zyrusticae
Dec 25, 2012, 01:23 AM
Well, let me put it this way.

Given the choice between new PAs and "special items"... I'll take the PAs. Every. Single. Time.

Syklo
Dec 25, 2012, 01:52 AM
The problem is that without interesting items to grind for there really isn't any reason to keep playing the game unless you like the bosses and other players THAT MUCH
Not other players.
Not bosses (not as much, but i love 'em still...except fang/snow twins)

but.......the EMERGENCY CODE/PSE BURST ANNOUNCEMENTS :3

gigawuts
Dec 25, 2012, 02:00 AM
Well, let me put it this way.

Given the choice between new PAs and "special items"... I'll take the PAs. Every. Single. Time.

I like how according to you reskins are passable because they're easier and thus we get more, and I'm awful for preferring new designs even if it means fewer in total, but you cannot extend this logic to weapon abilities.

Special weapon abilities could be as simple as another class's ability at a heavily reduced strength, i.e. 15 cap chain trigger for noise blower every few minutes, 30% damage poison ignition every few minutes for demonic fork, level 1 chase bind on divine tsukuyumi, etc. None of these would REQUIRE the associated origin class as a main or sub, but may improve in combination.

Adding balanced options is never bad, and in this case it's not even difficult, yet there seems to be a whole bunch of people who absolutely refuse to acknowledge that such a thing can be added and they don't have to want it for it to still make plenty of other people happier with the game as a whole who ARE looking for that kind of thing. I would understand if there was never a PS game that had this sort of system, but there was, and it was a major part of the gameplay for a considerable number of players whether you used it or not and many of them would have a better experience if it returned. Indeed, so might you.

If your only reasoning against something is that you don't care, you don't have a reason against it.

Zyrusticae
Dec 25, 2012, 11:16 AM
No, see, the difference is I know not to hope for things THAT WILL NEVER COME.

It's unhealthy. If the devs didn't see fit to add it now, they probably never will. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Also,

I like how according to you reskins are passable because they're easier and thus we get more, and I'm awful for preferring new designs even if it means fewer in total, but you cannot extend this logic to weapon abilities.
I also mentioned that it lets them re-use models that would otherwise completely fall by the wayside at later levels. This is good for people who like those particular models as they don't have to be gimped when using them. (Of course I would prefer that they just added weapon remodeling but, again, not getting my hopes up.) PSO didn't really have this issue because they had only one tier, and you would frequently end up using the same weapons for dozens of levels.

But what's really the issue here is not that you prefer new designs even if it means fewer in total, it's that you espouse your views in a detrimentally insane manner that goes completely beyond mere "preference" into outright crusade. It is possible, indeed, to state a preference without putting down others for stating their views even if they disagree with yours. I know that's hard - hell, I do it a lot of the time, too - but you seriously need to reign it in. Half the time I don't even want to respond to your posts anymore because I know the next response is very, very likely to be a completely sarcastic diatribe on how wrong I am for holding my opinion.

Agitated_AT
Dec 25, 2012, 12:08 PM

So you say that the game is underwhelming yet the only thing that is worth stating is not being able to get the drops you want from all the "underwhelming" issues. This seems to be such a weird tradition I've been noticing here in today's PSO community.

gigawuts
Dec 25, 2012, 12:43 PM
No, see, the difference is I know not to hope for things THAT WILL NEVER COME.

It's unhealthy. If the devs didn't see fit to add it now, they probably never will. I'm not getting my hopes up.

They don't listen to input?

Everybody pack up your bags, no new content for 20-30 range, no hard-exclusive maps for normal, no...oh.

If anything is unhealthy, it's a defeatist mentality.

edit: I stopped reading the longer parts of your posts a while ago because they're always so outright crazy, but I scrolled up after clicking post to read this gem and golly it takes the cake

But what's really the issue here is not that you prefer new designs even if it means fewer in total, it's that you espouse your views in a detrimentally insane manner that goes completely beyond mere "preference" into outright crusade. It is possible, indeed, to state a preference without putting down others for stating their views even if they disagree with yours. I know that's hard - hell, I do it a lot of the time, too - but you seriously need to reign it in. Half the time I don't even want to respond to your posts anymore because I know the next response is very, very likely to be a completely sarcastic diatribe on how wrong I am for holding my opinion.By any chance, was this text something someone else said to you, and now you're just copying and pasting it? Because good lord, read some of your own posts some time.

Ezodagrom
Dec 25, 2012, 12:55 PM
About the weapons recolours (can't believe that some actually have an issue with this), not only these allow for weapon models associated with weaker weapons to be used in stronger weapons (allowing players to use weapon models they like without having to use weak weapons), some recoloured weapons could also end up being available in the pyroxene shop, this could end up being a good alternative to the RNG.
Of course, the pyroxene shop needs to be expanded alot for this to work (like, more types of pyroxenes that don't depend on Dark Falz Elder, and more weapon types).

About the potential ability, this I have to agree with the complainers, this shouldn't have required grinded weapons at all, at least in the first few levels.
Something that could have made each weapons more unique ruined by a lousy system. :|

ZIE creations
Dec 25, 2012, 01:01 PM
Well this thread became a gigantic argument (I didn't even read most of the rage/rant posts)

Look at it this way, PSO2 is a video game. It was created for 3 reasons, as stated by the development team and SEGA.

1. Carry the Phantasy Star series in a new direction
2. Create an Action MMO anyone can play
3. Generate income to the point of a profit

PSO2 is vastly different then any other phantasy star game. It's still in its known futuristic/fantasy world, but combat advanced and new systems brought it into a new era.

The game is basic enough anyone can play, but still allows advanced players motives and challenges to overcome.

Game is a HUGE success in Japan, generating millions.

I love the game, and I'm pretty sure they are farther from failure then they could ever be. it's a game meant to be fun, if you find this game not fun or are displeased then leave, they don't need you and we don't need you complaining.

The Walrus
Dec 25, 2012, 01:07 PM
So instead of voicing our opinions on what they could do to improve the game we should just shut up and drop the game? Like did I read that right is that what you're saying.

gigawuts
Dec 25, 2012, 01:16 PM
So instead of voicing our opinions on what they could do to improve the game we should just shut up and drop the game? Like did I read that right is that what you're saying.

It's the mentality taken by anyone with a moment of contentness with what's in front of them, and the ones to say it first are typically the ones to cry the loudest the instant whatever makes them content is changed.

I've never seen such a bunch of children as I have with PSO->PSU. This entire thing is essentially PSO->PSU, except for PSU->PSO2. You find all the standard kneejerk fallacies. "Obviously the devs think you're wrong," "It's hopeless," "Go play something else," etc.

The people who break these out have literally nothing of value left to say, yet insist on having the last word, so they go with something they know does not make them right and serves no purpose to do anything but create strife. You find it in every community, it's not like it's exclusive to this game or even gaming itself. Try having a "debate" (as in, just any conversation about anything that might need changing no matter how important or unimportant it might be) about any old topic you can think of with some random person on facebook or wherever, chances are high you'll be met with "Well it's not like you'll change anything, so get used to it." The excuse is either "It's too big to change," or "it's too little to matter."

Society has devolved into an anti-achieving goo of complacency and defeatism. Or, maybe it was always like that, I don't know.

Ezodagrom
Dec 25, 2012, 01:25 PM
Posting in a fan forum won't achieve anything though. Want something to change? Get someone who knows japanese to translate your opinions and use the feedback feature in PSO2 official website.

gigawuts
Dec 25, 2012, 01:33 PM
Posting in a fan forum won't achieve anything though. Want something to change? Get someone who knows japanese to translate your opinions and use the feedback feature in PSO2 official website.

Indeed. This is something I've been casually working towards. Posting on a forum will accomplish nothing.

But one single suggestion isn't likely to accomplish anything, if it's even read at all.

You'd want multiple fans to send in the message. Where do fans go, though? Can you think of a place where I can get a hold of multiple fans that may agree already or may agree after reading a thorough reasoning for why such a thing could be implemented? Fans I might not actually play with, but I could still get a hold of on like a site or something?

Ezodagrom
Dec 25, 2012, 01:39 PM
Indeed. This is something I've been casually working towards. Posting on a forum will accomplish nothing.

But one single suggestion isn't likely to accomplish anything, if it's even read at all.

You'd want multiple fans to send in the message. Where do fans go, though? Can you think of a place where I can get a hold of multiple fans that may agree already or may agree after reading a thorough reasoning for why such a thing could be implemented? Fans I might not actually play with, but I could still get a hold of on like a site or something?
But so far I haven't seen anyone actually trying to gather the feedback of everyone, forming a consensus and using the shared opinion in the feedback page. So far there's been only random complaints in random topics.

Sp-24
Dec 25, 2012, 01:40 PM
So you say that the game is underwhelming yet the only thing that is worth stating is not being able to get the drops you want from all the "underwhelming" issues. This seems to be such a weird tradition I've been noticing here in today's PSO community.

Am I really obliged to point out every single thing that's wrong with PSO2 just to shut up those who can't seem to adjust to the notion of some people not liking a stale grindfest of a game? "Did that person really just whine about never seeing more than half of the content that the game has to offer which is, coincidentally, also the only real reason to play the game over any other one, since everything else is just mindless grinding for experience, meseta, excubes, iritista, team points and grinders? Jeez, what a pathetic loser, what did our once wonderful community come to? Kids these days!"

But so far I haven't seen anyone actually trying to gather the feedback of everyone, forming a consensus and using the shared opinion in the feedback page. So far there's been only random complaints in random topics.

Well, that will accomplish very little unless Japanese players also complain about it vocally enough. And unlike us, they aren't as spoiled with games that don't RNG anything and everything.

Ezodagrom
Dec 25, 2012, 01:48 PM
Am I really obliged to point out every single thing that's wrong with PSO2 just to shut up those who can't seem to adjust to the notion of some people not liking a stale grindfest of a game? "Did that person really just whine about never seeing more than half of the content that the game has to offer which is, coincidentally, also the only real reason to play the game over any other one, since everything else is just mindless grinding for experience, meseta, excubes, iritista, team points and grinders? Jeez, what a pathetic loser, what did our once wonderful community come to? Kids these days!"
About Agitated_AT, he finds it strange that people complain more about the RNG than about others things that he finds alot more important (like enemies being too passive).

Well, that will accomplish very little unless Japanese players also complain about it vocally enough. And unlike us, they aren't as spoiled with games that don't RNG anything and everything.
This is something that you just don't know if it'll work or not until someone actually tries to do something instead of just randomly complaining.

gigawuts
Dec 25, 2012, 01:52 PM

Indeed again. With the reactions this community has to anything that either doesn't affect them or they are not bothered by, I've been putting off making (and then having to maintain the effort to keep up) a thread about this for a while. I know exactly the kind of response I'll get. It's likely to be sent to rants within an hour of having to defend it from people whose only response is "I do not care particularly strongly, therefor I am extremely against it," unless I coordinate with moderators, which I haven't felt like doing.

I saw numerous people try to do something like this in PSU, and the response was always several pages of frothing Sega-can-do-no-wrong responses. I've never seen such a thread not get that kind of a response, no matter what it was specifically about.

Which is why for the time being I'm not bothering, and casually thinking about ways to actually do it. I see why people say it won't work, and people like Zyru have points for why such-and-such wouldn't work. Having to design entirely new attacks for each weapon, for instance. That would be better applied to just making new PA's, like he said. So that's out. If it's something like the lavis cannon and orochiagito, which got very similar specials, why not just make that a PA and give it to everything? That's where I figured it would be easiest to take pre-existing content and apply it in varying strengths to existing things.

Generally, the kind of people I expect to need to sell this to are the type that will see a paragraph long idea, see that a number is way too high or low for them to think it's balanced, and instead of saying to change that number they say the entire idea is bad. Shit like that needs to be airtight.

Sp-24
Dec 25, 2012, 02:02 PM
This is something that you just don't know if it'll work or not until someone actually tries to do something instead of just randomly complaining.

True, but I just get a feeling that Sega listens to money, and not people. And when they see the majority of complaining coming from the anonymous players and the residents of Sega HQ, I doubt they'll budge. I'm not against the idea, but one thing people like to do is overestimate their importance and, in the case of gaijin PSO2 players, even their numbers.

Ezodagrom
Dec 25, 2012, 02:18 PM
True, but I just get a feeling that Sega listens to money, and not people. And when they see the majority of complaining coming from the anonymous players and the residents of Sega HQ, I doubt they'll budge. I'm not against the idea, but one thing people like to do is overestimate their importance and, in the case of gaijin PSO2 players, even their numbers.
Yeah, it's possible that our opinion wouldn't be heard at all, or that our numbers are far too small to matter, but I think it would still be worth a try.

Indeed again. With the reactions this community has to anything that either doesn't affect them or they are not bothered by, I've been putting off making (and then having to maintain the effort to keep up) a thread about this for a while. I know exactly the kind of response I'll get. It's likely to be sent to rants within an hour of having to defend it from people whose only response is "I do not care particularly strongly, therefor I am extremely against it," unless I coordinate with moderators, which I haven't felt like doing.

I saw numerous people try to do something like this in PSU, and the response was always several pages of frothing Sega-can-do-no-wrong responses. I've never seen such a thread not get that kind of a response, no matter what it was specifically about.

Which is why for the time being I'm not bothering, and casually thinking about ways to actually do it. I see why people say it won't work, and people like Zyru have points for why such-and-such wouldn't work. Having to design entirely new attacks for each weapon, for instance. That would be better applied to just making new PA's, like he said. So that's out. If it's something like the lavis cannon and orochiagito, which got very similar specials, why not just make that a PA and give it to everything? That's where I figured it would be easiest to take pre-existing content and apply it in varying strengths to existing things.

Generally, the kind of people I expect to need to sell this to are the type that will see a paragraph long idea, see that a number is way too high or low for them to think it's balanced, and instead of saying to change that number they say the entire idea is bad. Shit like that needs to be airtight.
I guess the wording of a such a topic would be really important. Like, instead of just stating an opinion, asking for others their opinions as well, and asking how they would solve the issues.
I guess some people would still argue in such a topic, but seeing how many people don't like the RNG around here (especially since the weapon potentials feature was introduced), it maybe could work out? Who knows. ^^;

Zyrusticae
Dec 25, 2012, 05:38 PM
They don't listen to input?

Everybody pack up your bags, no new content for 20-30 range, no hard-exclusive maps for normal, no...oh.

If anything is unhealthy, it's a defeatist mentality.

edit: I stopped reading the longer parts of your posts a while ago because they're always so outright crazy, but I scrolled up after clicking post to read this gem and golly it takes the cake
Really? There is absolutely nothing crazy about what I said.

This is a fan forum.

SEGA doesn't read this forum or take input from it.

The only people reading this forum are other people playing the game or are interested in playing the game.

I have to wonder what the point of telling other players how many ways you dislike how the developers are "failing to deliver on the potential of the game" over and over ad nauseum is? Because it's not convincing me to go send them feedback, it's convincing me to tune out a huge chunk of the forum because so much of it is empty noise.

By any chance, was this text something someone else said to you, and now you're just copying and pasting it? Because good lord, read some of your own posts some time.
You didn't actually read that paragraph, did you? Because I did say that I am guilty of it myself, but the difference between us is extremely obvious - just look at our post counts.

If nothing else, I can say that I am NOT guilty of shitting up the forum with constant and unending bitching and moaning in every goddamn thread everywhere in every place you can possibly look.

gigawuts
Dec 25, 2012, 05:47 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]Really? There is absolutely nothing crazy about what I said.

This is a fan forum.

SEGA doesn't read this forum or take input from it.

The only people reading this forum are other people playing the game or are interested in playing the game.

I have to wonder what the point of telling other players how many ways you dislike how the developers are "failing to deliver on the potential of the game" over and over ad nauseum is? Because it's not convincing me to go send them feedback, it's convincing me to tune out a huge chunk of the forum because so much of it is empty noise.

You didn't actually read that paragraph, did you? Because I did say that I am guilty of it myself, but the difference between us is extremely obvious - just look at our post counts.

If nothing else, I can say that I am NOT guilty of shitting up the forum with constant and unending bitching and moaning in every goddamn thread everywhere in every place you can possibly look.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Just going to jot down some notes.

Member of zeitgeist movement, does not advocate for being the change you want to see
Dislikes a person's posting, does not stop reading their posts
Asks if someone finished reading their post, brings things up that are countered in the rest of the thread
Says he's being convinced to tune out a chunk of the forum, does not tune out anything

Alright.

Would you just block me or something? You obviously have serious issues with me based on things that either aren't actually true or don't even occur. I think we'll both benefit from you never seeing what I say again.

Zyrusticae
Dec 25, 2012, 06:59 PM
Just going to jot down some notes.

Member of zeitgeist movement, does not advocate for being the change you want to see
It's a fucking video game.

I have bigger priorities. Much, much bigger priorities.

Dislikes a person's posting, does not stop reading their posts
Guilty as charged.

Asks if someone finished reading their post, brings things up that are countered in the rest of the thread
Except these things still stand.

Says he's being convinced to tune out a chunk of the forum, does not tune out anything
I skipped about 3/4 of this thread alone.

Alright.

Would you just block me or something? You obviously have serious issues with me based on things that either aren't actually true or don't even occur. I think we'll both benefit from you never seeing what I say again.
That doesn't even work as I still compulsively look at posts made by people I ignored when they are made in topics that are not related to why I ignored them in the first place. (Sometimes I even regret ignoring them when they make a salient point... at least until the reason I ignored them comes up again.)

But you know what? I think I just need to take a hiatus from this entire forum. Not like I need anything other than GAF and bumped for my PSO2 updates anyways.

Cagedtaytay
Dec 25, 2012, 07:05 PM
Read most of this thread.
Some of the posts made me LAWL from the stupid.

gigawuts
Dec 25, 2012, 08:09 PM
It's a fucking video game.

I have bigger priorities. Much, much bigger priorities.

Then spend time on them instead of going on and on about how you don't care about something here.

Just a point worth making: If someone sincerely doesn't care, they do not go out of their way to make sure everyone knows how little they care. Since they don't care, they leave it alone.

You're not acting like someone who doesn't care.

Flame
Dec 26, 2012, 06:40 AM
The way you post about PSO2 makes it seem more like that you would have hated it independently of how good or bad it is, you're always looking at it with a negative mindset, so of course you're not going to like it.
PSO2 has some big flaws which definitely need to be addressed, but to me the positives outweight the negatives.

Oh, and shallow multiplayer grindfest you say? That sounds just like PSO1 ultimate mode.

This is a ridiculous assumption to make. With over 500 hours invested that would make me quite the masochist wouldn't it? I play games to enjoy them, just as any other person does. I've tried almost everything to have fun with this game: taken long breaks (weeks!), waited for new content to show up, changed the way I play based on other people's recommendations (multiparty areas during Eqs, Solo, time attack quests with some close friends), etc. . .

But regardless of what I do, there's always a nagging truth at the back of my brain, that the reason that I'm having to resort to all these "strategies" in the first place is that the game just isn't well constructed. Simply put, it's a bad game. I can say this with more confidence than ever now that I've beaten falz, the final boss. I have never felt more unsatisfied after having "beat" a game.

I'm not here just to spit venom and poop on other peoples' good times. I'm just frustrated that such an anticipated game of mine turned out to be such a colossal dud. More than anything it feels like the developers have NO idea what it was that made the first game such a treat to play in the first place. I have no idea who's responsible but it feels like ever since PSU the franchise has lost its way in a major way.

Oh and yeah, I agree that Ultimate mode in PSO1 sucks. But guess what? That was extra content that was slapped on for ver. 2; the core game still rocks.

Ezodagrom
Dec 26, 2012, 08:31 AM
This is a ridiculous assumption to make. With over 500 hours invested that would make me quite the masochist wouldn't it? I play games to enjoy them, just as any other person does. I've tried almost everything to have fun with this game: taken long breaks (weeks!), waited for new content to show up, changed the way I play based on other people's recommendations (multiparty areas during Eqs, Solo, time attack quests with some close friends), etc. . .

But regardless of what I do, there's always a nagging truth at the back of my brain, that the reason that I'm having to resort to all these "strategies" in the first place is that the game just isn't well constructed. Simply put, it's a bad game. I can say this with more confidence than ever now that I've beaten falz, the final boss. I have never felt more unsatisfied after having "beat" a game.

I'm not here just to spit venom and poop on other peoples' good times. I'm just frustrated that such an anticipated game of mine turned out to be such a colossal dud. More than anything it feels like the developers have NO idea what it was that made the first game such a treat to play in the first place. I have no idea who's responsible but it feels like ever since PSU the franchise has lost its way in a major way.

Oh and yeah, I agree that Ultimate mode in PSO1 sucks. But guess what? That was extra content that was slapped on for ver. 2; the core game still rocks.
For something that, as I quote, "can be left by a ditch somewhere to die", you sure did invest alot of time into it.
At this point you sound just like Sonic Adventure 2 fanboys, you talk about the newer game as if it had no good points, you focus completely in the bad points, and you over-glorify the old game, focusing completely on the good points while forgetting that the older game had big flaws too.

Flame
Dec 26, 2012, 09:10 AM
For something that, as I quote, "can be left by a ditch somewhere to die", you sure did invest alot of time into it.
At this point you sound just like Sonic Adventure 2 fanboys, you talk about the newer game as if it had no good points, you focus completely in the bad points, and you over-glorify the old game, focusing completely on the good points while forgetting that the older game had big flaws too.

In my opinion I have written well enough why I dislike the game without brainlessly talking up the original. I'm not trying to over glorify anything. The original game had it's share of flaws, totally: when it released there were only 4 levels, the combat is stiff by modern comparison, and the character customization options are laughable. However those are non-issues compared to PSO2's broken F2p based level progression(level caps and COs in place ONLY to delay your progress!), bland and un compelling dungeon design, RNG based grinding from hell, severe class imbalances, a complete abandonment of atmosphere or any sense of adventure, embarrassing patchwork of a "story", ridiculous AC based economy, and numerous other crippling problems.

And yeah, I DID invest a lot of time in it. I spent a lot of time trying to like the game and hoped the updates would result in a better experience when most of the time they just exacerbated things. Hell, It takes easily 200 hrs just to be able to experience all the content, not to mention in each of the three "difficulties"

In other news, I find your SA2 comparison hilarious given that I think that game is absolute garbage. Generations and Colors are infinitely superior to that hot mess of a game.

Noblewine
Dec 26, 2012, 10:56 AM

What's hunting or buying equipment like similiar to PSU? I just hope its not as bad as trying to get a vjeri/resist.

Lumpen Thingy
Dec 26, 2012, 12:15 PM
What's hunting or buying equipment like similiar to PSU? I just hope its not as bad as trying to get a vjeri/resist.

getting the best armor you want for a class is really easy. Finding the best weapons however can vary lol.

Saffran
Dec 26, 2012, 01:09 PM
As far as the whole "not voicing my opinion on a fan board" is concerned, I just want to say that you just never know who reads the posts.
Employees are sometimes asked to look for "the tempature outside". I'm not saying Sega has some ppl reading PSO World, but I would bet my ass that they read 2ch and other post aggregators that talk about the game.
Also, how can you be sure that I would not take randomly time to report some of the issues I see here? I may even have compiled a few things I've read here and reported them in the new form just today, for that matter.

I'm not saying that all wishes will come true. But if you don't voice your opinions, nobody can listen to you, even with the best intentions. Saying "they won't listen to me/us" is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy when you don't talk in the first place anyway, isn't it?

Ezodagrom
Dec 26, 2012, 01:34 PM
As far as the whole "not voicing my opinion on a fan board" is concerned, I just want to say that you just never know who reads the posts.
Employees are sometimes asked to look for "the tempature outside". I'm not saying Sega has some ppl reading PSO World, but I would bet my ass that they read 2ch and other post aggregators that talk about the game.
Also, how can you be sure that I would not take randomly time to report some of the issues I see here? I may even have compiled a few things I've read here and reported them in the new form just today, for that matter.

I'm not saying that all wishes will come true. But if you don't voice your opinions, nobody can listen to you, even with the best intentions. Saying "they won't listen to me/us" is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy when you don't talk in the first place anyway, isn't it?
My point wasn't about not complaining, but about actually trying to do something about the complaints instead of just complaining in random topics. ^^;
For example, creating a topic with the purpose of asking other users their opinions about a certain issue, trying to reach a consensus, and ask if someone would kindly translate the opinions to japanese to send to the feedback page.

Tcrusader51
Dec 26, 2012, 03:40 PM
PSO2's combat is pretty solid and there are many nostalgic things they brought back from PSO. However, all PSO2 have is it's combat and there are things from PSU that should of most definitely brought over.

1. Class level system: Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of the skills and also the sub jobs. However, I just feel the PSU rank skill system for the classes would of been much better while keeping race levels with it's own stats. Also, there is little to no point of even ranking up in PSO2 due to this.

2. Weapon customization: Not talking about the combat mechanics per say. More talking about the variations of weapons it self or lack of. Because of their removal of slotting weapons on each hand, there will be as much options such as dagger/sword/slicer and handgun/machinegun/crossbow/shield (whichever you may of preferred) though I do understand it would of been harder with the current game mechanics which I do enjoy.

Also, I strongly believe that there should of been a much better option for leveling up techs than the current system we have.

Areas to reside: I don't care what anyone says. Only being able to reside in the Ark is a total step backwards after all the places you could hang and planets/colony to have a room in for PSU.

Difficulty: IMO the AIs in this game is way too slow and also one thing about PSO/PSU is that you would have a whole bunch of mobs that could blast projectiles at you to the point in which even if they didn't kill you it could still cause elemental effects like burn/freeze/confuse/dizzy/paralyze/silence/etc. Not that I've played more than a lot of others but the only stat effect I've ever seen my character get was burn.

Others: As said, I do feel that PSO2 has an overall great combat system but it seems to be all they have. I know a lot of people don't seem to like PSU but I really do recommend that Sega add additional things like casinos, crafting, mini games, and so for to further entertain.

That's just my two cents. It probably sounds like I'm doing this to diss the game. However, I strongly believe it should be essential to point out flaws so have it improved on than just praise the game and have it kept on stand still will no improvements.

Laxedrane
Dec 26, 2012, 04:49 PM
2. Weapon customization: Not talking about the combat mechanics per say. More talking about the variations of weapons it self or lack of. Because of their removal of slotting weapons on each hand, there will be as much options such as dagger/sword/slicer and handgun/machinegun/crossbow/shield (whichever you may of preferred) though I do understand it would of been harder with the current game mechanics which I do enjoy.

Personally I never liked the idea. Besides condensing slots. There is no real benefit to it all. You couldn't do combo attacks, the only benefit to doing it was be able to quickly switch between two weapons. If they had combination photon arts or other benefits then maybe but there was no real point.

MetalDude
Dec 26, 2012, 05:01 PM
Also, I strongly believe that there should of been a much better option for leveling up techs than the current system we have.

Outside of finding lv. 11+ discs off of rare monsters (Signo Blue, I'm looking at you), I strongly disagree. PSU's PA leveling system was awful. It's usually never necessary to get the highest level disc, just the lv. 11 or higher one.

Tcrusader51
Dec 26, 2012, 05:14 PM
Outside of finding lv. 11+ discs off of rare monsters (Signo Blue, I'm looking at you), I strongly disagree. PSU's PA leveling system was awful. It's usually never necessary to get the highest level disc, just the lv. 11 or higher one.

I don't think I mention that PSU's was better. I personally didn't like to keep spamming same techs either. However, I do feel there should of been other methods to use like for example: using the ranks in missions to gain points which could be used to increase whatever skills you wanted. IMHO, I find the disc looting to be a real clutter as far as space.

Personally I never liked the idea. Besides condensing slots. There is no real benefit to it all. You couldn't do combo attacks, the only benefit to doing it was be able to quickly switch between two weapons. If they had combination photon arts or other benefits then maybe but there was no real point.

That would be really nice if they did that but at this point it's probably asking for too much.

MetalDude
Dec 26, 2012, 05:20 PM
The Gunslash kind of already accomplishes that anyways. Although it still needs more shooting dedicated PAs. A weapon like a poleaxe would be interesting and I do agree that there needs to be more weapons in the future (hopefully to accommodate more new classes or classes that need more weapons).

Tcrusader51
Dec 26, 2012, 05:33 PM
The Gunslash kind of already accomplishes that anyways. Although it still needs more shooting dedicated PAs. A weapon like a poleaxe would be interesting and I do agree that there needs to be more weapons in the future (hopefully to accommodate more new classes or classes that need more weapons).

Still waiting for ____/Shield, bow, crossbow, shotgun, whip, and slicers. I'm a bit hoping for twin sabers/gunblades (me personally) and laser cannons but I doubt that will happen.

RagolianHunter
Dec 26, 2012, 05:52 PM
well not reading any of the stuff in this thread other than question made in first thread...

Game is cool stuff.
I hear the moaning and groaning about rng...dudu dude and what not but you know what some of the best times i/we have had on this game is complaining about him.

It enjoyable...........expensive but enjoyabe but makes getting that 10+ even bettter.
Sometimes u have to walk thru shit to find a nicely froze ice cream sniker bar...BRING IT!

If you could just walk into the freezer ever time and grab one how good would it be....boring.

The game can be played for free..........there are perks for premium and rightly so......but to those that play for free and complian about stuff.......don't.

It's all about how/why you play imo. Are you super anal bout getting said wep to 10 ...........understand it doesn't work that way here.

BUt the silver lining to that is that it does not break and always has chance to get to 10.

Remember trying to 10 up a DC? if it broke it was bot food...find lost.

I prefer my get still having potential.

jooozek
Dec 26, 2012, 06:13 PM
How can people even bring up PSU in that context? Was there in PSU gacha in which you had protectors that prevented from "breaking" the weapon? And then they were just protectors, you would need to burn through at least a dozen of them?

gigawuts
Dec 26, 2012, 06:17 PM
well not reading any of the stuff in this thread other than question made in first thread...

Game is cool stuff.
I hear the moaning and groaning about rng...dudu dude and what not but you know what some of the best times i/we have had on this game is complaining about him.

It enjoyable...........expensive but enjoyabe but makes getting that 10+ even bettter.
Sometimes u have to walk thru shit to find a nicely froze ice cream sniker bar...BRING IT!

If you could just walk into the freezer ever time and grab one how good would it be....boring.

The game can be played for free..........there are perks for premium and rightly so......but to those that play for free and complian about stuff.......don't.

It's all about how/why you play imo. Are you super anal bout getting said wep to 10 ...........understand it doesn't work that way here.

BUt the silver lining to that is that it does not break and always has chance to get to 10.

Remember trying to 10 up a DC? if it broke it was bot food...find lost.

I prefer my get still having potential.

Lol everyone says this for like 3 days until they start out hunting a weapon, find the wrong kind of 10*, try to grind it up anyway, and spend way way more failing to get it anywhere above +4 than they would have on PSU by just breaking and replacing their weapon three times.

RagolianHunter
Dec 27, 2012, 07:44 AM
lol nope you have no idea what i have spent on grinds.........

different game different system..it is what it is.

Mike
Dec 27, 2012, 07:54 AM
How can people even bring up PSU in that context? Was there in PSU gacha in which you had protectors that prevented from "breaking" the weapon? And then they were just protectors, you would need to burn through at least a dozen of them?

I believe you could simply pay Sega to get a +8 after the Japanese version went f2p and pay to fix a weapon if it broke.

Lumpen Thingy
Dec 27, 2012, 09:36 AM

if you even think the grinding system is bad in PSO2 you know nothing compared to PSU lol. But ya it sucked

jooozek
Dec 27, 2012, 09:40 AM
if you even think the grinding system is bad in PSO2 you know nothing compared to PSU lol. But ya it sucked

Did it take 300 grinding attempts to not even see +8 on a weapon?

The Walrus
Dec 27, 2012, 10:17 AM
iirc it was easier to grind weapons in PSU it's just that the penalty for failure was much higher.

That said the current system really isn't that much better. Hell the only reason they probably took out the weapon breaking aspect is cause it would just make people quit the game. Making it take forever to grind and find weapons is much better for them.

Lumpen Thingy
Dec 27, 2012, 10:45 AM
Did it take 300 grinding attempts to not even see +8 on a weapon?

try having 20 final impacts and not even getting 1 past +7 lol

jooozek
Dec 27, 2012, 11:01 AM
try having 20 final impacts and not even getting 1 past +7 lol
If you managed to get 20 final impacts then what is the problem you are seeing? Try getting in this game a single copy of a weapon that you actually want (you will only get it if stars align in the right positions), and not just trying to grind some weapon that you just had dropped. It's like "bro it was bad there its better here", no one cares how bad it was in PSU, it's not any better here. It's even worse because even when you sink real money into gacha to get protectors you aren't guaranted anything anyway. Blow 30$ and go from +8 to +8. Don't know about you but to me it seems like an elaborate scam.

EDIT: Also, forgot to add one more thing: why you need to grind to +10? Latent abilities (they will be going to up to level 5). Why do you want them? Because they are the only thing that makes the rares a little bit unique and closer to PSO specials.

artbunker
Dec 27, 2012, 08:15 PM

8.5/10
I gotta agree with teh above poster. I played PSO1&2 on gamecube solo. Well my friends and I did. My ex and I would get those cards form my other friends and ahve a 4 player multiplayer all night long. It was fun but repetitive. Always fun killing all those bosses on very hard and even ultimate. I love PSO2 as well. So far I only put in a hundred hours so not enough time to really judge, but so far I would ahve to give the game a 8.5/10.I love that they combined the weapon/technique charge of PS0 and the dodging ability as well. Believe me you will need it in this game.

I also love the fact that to curbe the grind, you can "cheat" a little in multi party fields and just hang around people for exp. Although tis not much, any exp is better than 0 exp I say. The random monsters are fun in field as well. Love killing the Spider in the caves with at least 10 other folks out of no where helping out.

I dont like the fact that the resell of weapons went down, grinding increased for leveling , and doing mission over and over again to move on is a bit tedious. that has to be improved on.

I havent unlocked most of the features in the game yet, but so far it is fun . Just be ready to go to bumped.org to figure out some of the items for sales and how to get through some missions or even get some. Overall the JP version is fun just gotta find folks to team up with and go on missions with but the game has lots of potentional