PDA

View Full Version : So, has there been ANY other updates about EU/NA PSO2?

Nexoz
Dec 22, 2012, 09:37 PM
I know they shown it off at PAX and other game events but has there actually been any other sort of updates about the English release of PSO2 aside from it's announcement?

I haven't seen anything and think I might have missed something about it.

Cagedtaytay
Dec 22, 2012, 09:41 PM
I know they shown it off at PAX and other game events but has there actually been any other sort of updates about the English release of PSO2 aside from it's announcement?

I haven't seen anything and think I might have missed something about it.

Nope. Not a thing since PAX. I have a feeling they will say something soon. Maybe. Hopefully. Probaly not.

Kuronen
Dec 22, 2012, 09:53 PM
Nope. Not a thing since PAX. I have a feeling they will say something soon. Maybe. Hopefully. Probaly not.

Really sad, you figure Sega America would be keeping people somewhat informed so the game doesn't end up slipping under the radar. :-?

UnLucky
Dec 22, 2012, 10:46 PM
There won't be anything about it until it's released.

It'll be a translated version of the pre-alpha build.

No update schedule.

No advertising.

No one will play.

It'll be shut down within a year.

MetalDude
Dec 22, 2012, 11:26 PM
That's disgustingly pessimistic.

And probably correct.

scarecrow36
Dec 22, 2012, 11:43 PM
ops nvm

Gold Saw
Dec 22, 2012, 11:44 PM

No update schedule.

No advertising.

No one will play.

Ouch that's going to hurt some people.

Syklo
Dec 23, 2012, 12:05 AM
They probably took very serious measures in preparation of the supposed apocalypse.

May0
Dec 23, 2012, 12:28 AM
I had a long drawn out post explaining why their lack of any media regarding the franchise was going to ruin the US/EU launch but this forum can't be arsed to keep one logged in more than 2 minutes before it kills your post. All the better I suppose since no one likes reading walls of text...

The jist of what I said being that Sega is making a profit with PSO2 in Japan (http://www.pso-world.com/news/02482-sega-posts-2nd-quarter-earnings-highlights-pso2s-continued-success) ( $44 million dollars to be exact) and it would play to their favor to spread the game to as many markets as possible. Allow me a soap box if you will though.

Fellow hunters, if there was ever a time for prayer now is that time. We're fast approaching the precipice. If there aren't any announcements soon I don't know how much longer this game can retain any of its hype. I'm finding it hard to care and I'm a fan of the series. Even for avid gamers out there Phantasy Star as a franchise may as well not exist- this is the underlying issue. SoA can do everything perfectly and not bungle up any of the content or customer support but if there's no community the game will die.

I hope PSO2 will do well but the lack of any advertising from sega is an ominous sign...

Nexoz
Dec 23, 2012, 07:14 AM

No update schedule.

No advertising.

No one will play.

Not gonna lie, I actually kinda agree with this.

GreenArcher
Dec 23, 2012, 09:25 AM
Well for starters, a good portion of the loyal fanbase won't even be playing the US/EU version..

It's partly our fault :wacko:

BIG OLAF
Dec 23, 2012, 10:01 AM
Yup, not a scrap of news since the announcement. Hell, on the SEGA forums, the admins and moderators that are involved with Phantasy Star haven't even been posting actively, if at all, since the US/EU PSU servers were shut down.

Looks like they're already showing just how 'great' their support for the game will be. Won't be a repeat of past EN experiences at all, no sirrah.

The Walrus
Dec 23, 2012, 10:21 AM
Pretty sad that they haven't learned anything over the years

ShinMaruku
Dec 23, 2012, 10:43 AM
You still put faith in the Japanese mother ship have you learned much? :P

TheMagickHat77
Dec 23, 2012, 11:19 AM
Fellow hunters, if there was ever a time for prayer now is that time. We're fast approaching the precipice. If there aren't any announcements soon I don't know how much longer this game can retain any of its hype. I'm finding it hard to care and I'm a fan of the series. Even for avid gamers out there Phantasy Star as a franchise may as well not exist- this is the underlying issue. SoA can do everything perfectly and not bungle up any of the content or customer support but if there's no community the game will die.

I hope PSO2 will do well but the lack of any advertising from sega is an ominous sign...

Pretty much this. I want this game to do well, too, but SoA isn't doing much to show they care about the game at the moment. At least some sort of build up or development news would be nice to see.

pizzagirl
Dec 23, 2012, 01:47 PM

No update schedule.

No advertising.

No one will play.

Unfortunately, this. >_> Though I am deliriously optimistic. :) One last time...

D-Inferno
Dec 23, 2012, 01:50 PM
I'm hoping the lack of PSO2 EN info is just because of the holiday season.

However, it's hard to hope when this is SoA we are dealing with.

Blastifyys
Dec 23, 2012, 01:55 PM
Pretty sad that they haven't learned anything over the years
indeeed it is very sad You would think they would learn from there mistakes. thats like getting beat and then go back to get beat agian and you know damn well Whoever that is shes going back to get beat-(Sega Not doing anything agian And they know Damnwell Something needs to change but goes back to there same Routeein)

Kuronen
Dec 24, 2012, 07:09 PM
Sigh, I was really hoping by now there would be at least something about this. Weren't they suppose to be releasing it 'early 2013' or whatever? With the lack of news, updates, or even a 'we are still alive!' it seems more like this game is slated to release sometime at the end of next year...

The Walrus
Dec 24, 2012, 07:20 PM
I'd laugh if they cancelled it but simply decided to not break the news yet

Ifrian-x
Dec 29, 2012, 05:02 AM
It is hard to have hope in a decent release and future support at this point.
Especially considering their history of failures and not giving a dang about the playerbase or the game.

Then again, i had this signature since i registered for a reason.

moorebounce
Dec 29, 2012, 09:00 AM
At this point I don't care if PSO2 comes stateside.

I would love PSO2 to come stateside only because of the mark-up they charge you for webmoney.

Kion
Dec 29, 2012, 09:37 AM
At this point the game going stateside is a moot point. No details on the game from NoA. JP is already a year ahead in content. It's pretty much setting it's self up exactly like PSU, so I would be prepared for more of the same. The game is already patched in English, the story is translated, and SoJ keeps the game well maintained with monthly updates and actually implement changes submitted by Japanese players. For any fan of the game coming to this site I don't see any reason for not just playing the japanese client of the game.

May0
Dec 29, 2012, 03:16 PM
For any fan of the game coming to this site I don't see any reason for not just playing the japanese client of the game.

It's all about Convenience- I don't want to have to register a sega ID in japanese, I don't want to be forced to go through web money to support the game, I don't want to have to bother with english patches, If something goes wrong with the game I want to be able to contact an english speaking customer service rep, I want servers that are relatively close so I don't have to worry about lag issues and without trying to sound xenophobic I'd like to play with primarily english speaking people.

Now you an argue all these issues aren't that big a deal and the game at the very least is playable but for me its akin to eating crab. I'd rather someone break the shells off for me than have to do it myself. If my only choice is to break off the shells myself then I'll have something else to eat.

I like crab meat a lot but there's food that tastes as good if not better that doesn't require as much work to enjoy.

blace
Dec 29, 2012, 03:24 PM
That's one way to put it, May0.

It's for convenience and the TOS does state it is illegal for us to play outside of Japan. Two reasons really.

Ifrian-x
Dec 29, 2012, 03:27 PM
Not to count using english patches may get you ( remote chance but...) banned, so not only we have a few mild inconveniences to deal with, but we risk losing our character, time and effort by a random "You modified files" banhammer.

And supporting the game is hell expensive as a non jp player <.<

Zorafim
Dec 29, 2012, 03:44 PM
Has anyone been banned for using an english patch? Why do people still make such a big deal about it?

blace
Dec 29, 2012, 03:49 PM
It still counts as modifying game files, but I haven't heard anyone getting banned for it.

Magus_84
Dec 29, 2012, 04:25 PM
Man, where's all the "oh noes, this will be different, the past is never precedent, you can't know anything about how the EN/NA version will go!!1" people to defend the NA version? I guess they wandered off after the past few months. Sad. :(

Tcrusader51
Dec 29, 2012, 04:33 PM
Man, where's all the "oh noes, this will be different, the past is never precedent, you can't know anything about how the EN/NA version will go!!1" people to defend the NA version? I guess they wandered off after the past few months. Sad. :(

Well, we didn't go anywhere. There just isn't any reason to repeat ourselves because there still isn't a release or any info on exactly how much content is going to be release from the start. That is one of the big reason why we are all waiting for an update. To actually know that patch Sega will make for US/EU. Ever consider that possibility?

Magus_84
Dec 29, 2012, 04:59 PM
Well, we didn't go anywhere. There just isn't any reason to repeat ourselves because there still isn't a release or any info on exactly how much content is going to be release from the start. That is one of the big reason why we are all waiting for an update. To actually know that patch Sega will make for US/EU. Ever consider that possibility?

The people that I was referring to are people that loved to repeat themselves to no end. I don't think you're one of them.

So for your sake, I hope we're wrong and Sega does actually support the NA version.

DreXxiN
Dec 29, 2012, 05:06 PM
People still don't realize that SoJ is at the most fault for the way the game ran in SoA. It's not really a surprise. Unless SoJ gives them the "go" or resources on anything, they can't do shit but try to be PR and make empty promises.

Also, if people think PSO2 in it's pre-alpha state would die in a year, look at how terrible for how long PSU was...that lasted about 4 years on PS2/PC NA alone..Just sayin'

May0
Dec 29, 2012, 05:34 PM

I don't think I've said it "will be different" so much as I said the circumstances regarding PSO2 are significantly different then the ones its predecessors had to deal with.

Honestly, the argument in this thread isn't so much "how well PSO2 will do in the US/EU vs Japan" so much as its questioning "whether the game will come out at all."

Forget PSO2, any game with advertising this lackluster isn't going to do well. As previously mentioned word of mouth is the only tool Sega has employed thus far. From a low tech perspective this is Sega whispering in someone's ear "hey, PSO2 is coming out, spread the word!" and then relying on that person to inform the entire world. Luckily for Sega the internet can get their message out a bit easier but its still reliant on fans (not unlike myself) to hype the game and spread awareness for it. Hell, A lot of my friends wouldn't know about the oringal PSO let alone PSO2 if I hadn't told them. I'll go on a limb- I'm willing to wager a significant portion of this forum was (in one form or another) advised of PSO from a friend on a message board or a friend in real life rather than learning about PSO through any of Sega's advertisements.

Please, if anyone has any adverts from big name gaming magazines or youtube clips showing commercials directed at US/EU audiences post them here. Prove me wrong.

also this doesn't count (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw6hosekixk)

Tcrusader51
Dec 29, 2012, 05:38 PM
The people that I was referring to are people that loved to repeat themselves to no end. I don't think you're one of them.

So for your sake, I hope we're wrong and Sega does actually support the NA version.

Ha ha. For my own sake, I hope Sega would reconsidering making one whole international server so I can enjoy the story in English while still working on my Japanese with the same character. But we all know that's not gonna happen.

Anduril
Dec 29, 2012, 05:41 PM
I don't think I've said it "will be different" so much as I said the circumstances regarding PSO2 are significantly different then the ones its predecessors had to deal with.

Honestly, the argument in this thread isn't so much "how well PSO2 will do in the US/EU vs Japan" so much as its questioning "whether the game will come out at all."

Forget PSO2, any game with advertising this lackluster isn't going to do well. As previously mentioned word of mouth is the only tool Sega has employed thus far. From a low tech perspective this is Sega whispering in someone's ear "hey, PSO2 is coming out, spread the word!" and then relying on that person to inform the entire world. Luckily for Sega the internet can get their message out a bit easier but its still reliant on fans (not unlike myself) to hype the game and spread awareness for it. Hell, A lot of my friends wouldn't know about the oringal PSO let alone PSO2 if I hadn't told them. I'll go on a limb- I'm willing to wager a significant portion of this forum was (in one form or another) advised of PSO from a friend on a message board or a friend in real life rather than learning about PSO through any of Sega's advertisements.

Please, if anyone has any adverts from big name gaming magazines or youtube clips showing commercials directed at US/EU audiences post them here. Prove me wrong.

also this doesn't count (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw6hosekixk)
The only thing I can think of was what got me into PSO; it was a DVD bundled with an issue of Nintendo Power that had previews for Gamecube games including PSO Ep. I&II.

EDIT: Here's the video itself. (http://youtu.be/gIaVjNZjMRY)

Ezodagrom
Dec 29, 2012, 05:44 PM
People still don't realize that SoJ is at the most fault for the way the game ran in SoA. It's not really a surprise. Unless SoJ gives them the "go" or resources on anything, they can't do shit but try to be PR and make empty promises.
I wonder if it is really SoJ's fault, it seems more like SoA's fault. Even before the english version was announced, SoJ was aware of the english fans posting in the official facebook page and they actually attempted to post occasionally in (broken) english there.
Now that the page is in the hands of SoA, there hasn't been any posts there since PAX, no one from SoA has posted anything in the SEGA blogs, twitter or forums since early September, now don't tell me that this is SoJ's fault.

Tcrusader51
Dec 29, 2012, 05:56 PM
I wonder if it is really SoJ's fault, it seems more like SoA's fault. Even before the english version was announced, SoJ was aware of the english fans posting in the official facebook page and they actually attempted to post occasionally in (broken) english there.
Now that the page is in the hands of SoA, there hasn't been any posts there since PAX, no one from SoA has posted anything in the SEGA blogs, twitter or forums since early September, now don't tell me that this is SoJ's fault.

I think you missed the point the person was trying to make. As far as updating us and letting us know what's going on, you can blame that on SoA. However, I would think the main issue is more with the actual content and not with the word. SoJ initially has procession of the game and they make the call on what to release and when to release it. If SoJ takes long (for whatever reason) on whatever they are to send then what exactly is SoA to do?

Sure SoA can go and say something like "We are sorry for the inconvenience but we still can't give you any info on release due to SoJ's slow pace on handing out the content to us" but then that would be dumb in so many ways. Have anyone ever heard the old say "Don't shoot the messenger"? Yea, you should think hard about that.

Ezodagrom
Dec 29, 2012, 06:08 PM
I think you missed the point the person was trying to make. As far as updating us and letting us know what's going on, you can blame that on SoA. However, I would think the main issue is more with the actual content and not with the word. SoJ initially has procession of the game and they make the call on what to release and when to release it. If SoJ takes long (for whatever reason) on whatever they are to send then what exactly is SoA to do?

Sure SoA can go and say something like "We are sorry for the inconvenience but we still can't give you any info on release due to SoJ's slow pace on handing out the content to us" but then that would be dumb in so many ways. Have anyone ever heard the old say "Don't shoot the messenger"? Yea, you should think hard about that.
Don't shoot the messenger? What messenger? SoA isn't saying anything at all about the game.
It could be SoJ being slow to give content to SoA, or it could also be SoA being slow to handle translation and planning of the english release. There's no way to know who's at fault for it taking so long to bring the english version to the west, but, the lack of advertising and lack of news is entirely on SoA's hands, which is what the topic is about, the lack of news.

ZIE creations
Dec 29, 2012, 06:23 PM
The messenger has been getting shot at for at least 8 years, but it is partially SoA fault on the advertising end, even with a low budget they could do a little more then facebook...

Still hoping they are preparing a large amount of content, like a years worth of translating, to prevent hiccups and droughts that plagued PSU...

Tcrusader51
Dec 29, 2012, 06:31 PM
Don't shoot the messenger? What messenger? SoA isn't saying anything at all about the game.
It could be SoJ being slow to give content to SoA, or it could also be SoA being slow to handle translation and planning of the english release. There's no way to know who's at fault for it taking so long to bring the english version to the west, but, the lack of advertising and lack of news is entirely on SoA's hands, which is what the topic is about, the lack of news.

You are right that we don't know the stage of the localization so can't really tell where to place blame. And like I already said, SoA can easily be blamed for not relaying any update. However as said, if the blame is actually SoJ's fault then what do you expect SoA to say they would remain professional?

As far as the "Don't kill the messenger", you went too literal with it and thus went over your head. The point of the saying is to not be so easy to blame the closest person (or rather group in this case) you can place on. You say that THIS topic is about lack of news but if you go through the whole post and constant others you will always hear people also placing blame to SoA on NA PSO1 and PSU as well which the person you replied to was referring to.

May0
Dec 29, 2012, 07:15 PM
The only thing I can think of was what got me into PSO; it was a DVD bundled with an issue of Nintendo Power that had previews for Gamecube games including PSO Ep. I&II.

EDIT: Here's the video itself. (http://youtu.be/gIaVjNZjMRY)

I hope when you say bundled it had some actual info regarding the game in the magazine rather than the DVD by itself.

I'm not saying Sega should hire me as a PR director but I remember putting together better videos in my college media art classes. :nono:

Vintasticvin
Dec 29, 2012, 07:17 PM
I will NEVER EVER FORGET the time Edward went to town on you all :p

Ezodagrom
Dec 29, 2012, 07:35 PM
You are right that we don't know the stage of the localization so can't really tell where to place blame. And like I already said, SoA can easily be blamed for not relaying any update. However as said, if the blame is actually SoJ's fault then what do you expect SoA to say they would remain professional?

As far as the "Don't kill the messenger", you went too literal with it and thus went over your head. The point of the saying is to not be so easy to blame the closest person (or rather group in this case) you can place on. You say that THIS topic is about lack of news but if you go through the whole post and constant others you will always hear people also placing blame to SoA on NA PSO1 and PSU as well which the person you replied to was referring to.
The same argument could be said about DreXxiN pointing fingers against SoJ though. Yeah, it's possible that SoJ is being slow to give content to SoA, but, it's also possible that it's SoA that is being slow to handle their part of the job, the translation, planning of the AC shop and such.

Same thing for previous games, there's no way to know if it was SoJ or SoA the main culprit about the slow updates in previous games, the only thing we know is that the japanese version of these games had much better treatment than the english version.

Also, even if SoJ was being slow to give content to SoA, that still doesn't excuse complete silence from SoA's part for over 3 months. Even a vague "we're working on the game" statement would have been better than this complete silence.
Even though the game was announced for early 2013, at this point it's not even known if the english version will have any sort of beta testing.

Anduril
Dec 29, 2012, 07:57 PM
I hope when you say bundled it had some actual info regarding the game in the magazine rather than the DVD by itself.

I'm not saying Sega should hire me as a PR director but I remember putting together better videos in my college media art classes. :nono:
Actually, the issue had a section on the game where they went over the classes and their differences (with... not complete accuracy) and a guide to the first couple of Hunter's Quests from Ep. I, if I recall correctly.

EvilMag
Dec 29, 2012, 08:01 PM
The same argument could be said about DreXxiN pointing fingers against SoJ though. Yeah, it's possible that SoJ is being slow to give content to SoA, but, it's also possible that it's SoA that is being slow to handle their part of the job, the translation, planning of the AC shop and such.

Same thing for previous games, there's no way to know if it was SoJ or SoA the main culprit about the slow updates in previous games, the only thing we know is that the japanese version of these games had much better treatment than the english version.

Also, even if SoJ was being slow to give content to SoA, that still doesn't excuse complete silence from SoA's part for over 3 months. Even a vague "we're working on the game" statement would have been better than this complete silence.
Even though the game was announced for early 2013, at this point it's not even known if the english version will have any sort of beta testing.

In PSU's case, SoA already had the content from the start (since all of it was already on the disc and in the supplemental updates case, they had everything with that as well) so you can't really blame SoJ for not giving the content to them when they already have it.

Tcrusader51
Dec 29, 2012, 08:13 PM

No, I don't really know who's to blame. However, I am pretty sure that SoJ has far more say so over SoA and would suffer far less consequence if they were to take however time they feel needed. SoA, on the other hand, just got done with a big lay off.

Also as far as previous games, it's not just a issue in which just content was delayed but items and events were completely cut off for us not to have. PSP2i never even made it to us. So again... even though I can't really say for sure, I find it less likely that this is mostly SoA's at fault.

ShinMaruku
Dec 29, 2012, 08:19 PM
In PSU's case, SoA already had the content from the start (since all of it was already on the disc and in the supplemental updates case, they had everything with that as well) so you can't really blame SoJ for not giving the content to them when they already have it.
SoJ sets SoA's budget. How can you not blame both?
PSU was shit on all continents.

Ifrian-x
Dec 29, 2012, 08:34 PM
The bottom line is that many of us were hoping that this time (and considering the quality of the game) we would finally get the western/international PS release that we deserve.

Instead of that, and unless an unforeseen miracle happens, this is simply going to be yet another unknown ( to the masses ) PSU with ridiculous support and one year behind in updates.

And sure, i would LOVE to be wrong in what i say and i will be the first one to bow my head if SegaUS/EU proves me wrong, but being realistic, that has a ...smaller chance of happening than the PSu scenario.

And even if we were actually not that far behind in updates, when it comes to advertising and support, i think the facts speak for themselves and so does their silence when the game is supposedly going to be released soon.

0 communication = 0 hipes for future support.

FacelessRed
Dec 29, 2012, 08:57 PM
The bottom line is that many of us were hoping that this time (and considering the quality of the game) we would finally get the western/international PS release that we deserve.

Instead of that, and unless an unforeseen miracle happens, this is simply going to be yet another unknown ( to the masses ) PSU with ridiculous support and one year behind in updates.

And sure, i would LOVE to be wrong in what i say and i will be the first one to bow my head if SegaUS/EU proves me wrong, but being realistic, that has a ...smaller chance of happening than the PSu scenario.

And even if we were actually not that far behind in updates, when it comes to advertising and support, i think the facts speak for themselves and so does their silence when the game is supposedly going to be released soon.

0 communication = 0 hipes for future support.

Soo, what you're saying is, they are laying low with PSO 2 West because they want us to stay on PSO 2 JP? fair enough I'll stay.

SupraMedical68
Dec 29, 2012, 11:18 PM

No update schedule.

No advertising.

No one will play.

Quoted for truth...

Actually, I'm going to get my hopes up one last time and try to stay positive, but if Sega pulls the same bull crap they have been since PSO V.1 this will be my last Phantasy Star.

They've had over 10 years to get themselves straight, but haven't shown much improvement.

Right now I'm predicting that they won't advertise or communicate anything, that they'll release the game in Fall 2013, and then wonder why the JP servers which will be far ahead and are pulling in more money. Sega's support of the U.S servers will dwindle quickly and then after 5-6 years of servers bleeding money they'll pull the plug like they normally do.

Syklo
Dec 29, 2012, 11:27 PM
Right now I'm predicting that they won't advertise or communicate anything, that they'll release the game in Fall 2013, and then wonder why the JP servers which will be far ahead and are pulling in more money. Sega's support of the U.S servers will dwindle quickly and then after 5-6 months of servers bleeding money they'll pull the plug like they normally do.

Probably more likely, but what do i know, this is my first time being on SEGA's servers

UnLucky
Dec 30, 2012, 02:17 AM
If something goes wrong with the game I want to be able to contact an english speaking customer service rep

What makes you think that would change?

Silver_Wyrm
Dec 30, 2012, 02:24 AM
putting some faith in them..one last time...I really hope it turns out for the better but

May0
Dec 30, 2012, 02:36 AM
What makes you think that would change?

To make sure you're quoting me in the right context I was talking about what I wouldn't be able to do in with the Japanese version of the game.

Last time I checked the only technical support for PSO2 was Japan only...since the version of PSO2 has only been released in japan. Until its released elsewhere why would Sega need technical support for a customer base that doesn't exists?

The pie will be in my face if they have an option for alternate languages in their automated system I'm sure....

To be honest, I'm rather curious what JP PSO2 customer service sounds like. :rolleyes:

Get me the vocaroo (http://vocaroo.com/) of it. Watch out for those long distance charges. :-D

UnLucky
Dec 30, 2012, 03:45 AM
Well I suppose they'll have a guy responding to tickets regarding payment issues, but any (English) complaints, comments, or suggestions will still be ignored.

Syklo
Dec 30, 2012, 07:17 AM
Well I suppose they'll have a guy responding to tickets regarding payment issues, but any (English) complaints, comments, or suggestions will still be ignored.
then lets use..........GERMAN!

Silver_Wyrm
Dec 30, 2012, 07:43 AM
then lets use..........GERMAN!

a fantastic idea, let me go get a dictionary. What could go wrong with this plan!

Syklo
Dec 30, 2012, 09:00 PM
a fantastic idea, let me go get a dictionary. What could go wrong with this plan!
Hitler?

Was that too far...?