PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 NA/JP Voices

Harrada
Dec 24, 2012, 05:33 AM
I'm sure there are a lot of people who feel the same way about this topic as I do, and I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't care.

Straight to the point, I cant see any reason why they shouldn't throw in the option to change the voices to whichever you prefer. (English or Japanese)

They already have the voices done for the Japanese, and they will have the English voices done, obviously, by the time the game is released in NA. It wouldn't take much effort to throw both voice files into the game and just add the choice to the options menu.
Of course, its a bit more complicated then I worded it, but the point is the amount of people this would please greatly out-weighs the amount of effort it would take to do so.

I'm the type of person who would never watch an English dub over an English sub. I would probably opt to continue playing on the JP servers solely due to the voices. On the other hand, I would also like to play with people I can easily communicate with. Here is to hoping we can get the best of both worlds. ^^

Syklo
Dec 24, 2012, 05:40 AM
I will only support this IF, AND ONLY IF they supply/package the "foreign voice packs" SEPARATELY, because I'm not willing to download extra data just for a separate set of voice overs.

Which I highly doubt would happen, cuz then the whole internet could just grab them and perhaps use them without credit.

So in short, if it isn't mandatory to download all voicepacks within the one setup, i'm game.

Btw this IS going to be an "international version", so there will likely be OTHER languages voiced.

Maronji
Dec 24, 2012, 07:35 AM
How many online games have you played that allow you to switch the audio language (bonus points for not having to change the text language too)? I've never heard of such a thing before (then again, I'm a rather sheltered lad when it comes to MMO/ORPGs), and I'd be surprised if one actually exists.

Harrada
Dec 24, 2012, 07:58 AM
How many online games have you played that allow you to switch the audio language (bonus points for not having to change the text language too)? I've never heard of such a thing before (then again, I'm a rather sheltered lad when it comes to MMO/ORPGs), and I'd be surprised if one actually exists.

90% of MMORPG don't even have voice actors. Its mostly just a lot of reading. :P

It's not a matter of if there are or are not any others. The process is not a too difficult one, and there is a significant amount of players that would appreciate this (enough to consider doing so). They will already have all the of the content to do so. It is just a matter of applying it. And voice files and such would most likely be server-side, so not much risk in people stealing them. Its a small enough addition to the options that it could be done by a single person in a relatively short amount of time.

EDIT:
Also, don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining, just praying. :D
I think of this has bonus points for them. Not doing it wont hurt them, but doing it is like a little boost for them in terms of community relations.
So I can understand them not doing it simply because they don't have to. It wont do them any harm. On the other hand, I see no serious reason for them not to. It would make a lot of players happy. :)

jooozek
Dec 24, 2012, 07:59 AM
I know one that allows to use custom voices for your own character
http://divina.nexon.co.jp/news/detail.aspx?c=1&id=315

Noblewine
Dec 24, 2012, 08:59 AM
I'm fine with english as long as they don't butcher it by messing up the translation.

Yunfa
Dec 24, 2012, 09:01 AM
^ "I'm...Ethan Waber, dur dur derp derp derp..."

Golto
Dec 24, 2012, 10:20 AM
I feel they are doing the localization on the cheap and will keep the JPN voices.

domokun1134
Dec 24, 2012, 10:20 AM
I'm in agreement. I can't stand english dubbing in anime, and I'm sure this game wont be an exception. I like the JP voices. It might be possible though, in lots of games (xbox/PS3) of Japanese origin you can choose the Japanese voice files.

Kimil Adrayne
Dec 24, 2012, 11:28 AM
Screw Subs and JP voices. I'll take English Dubs over that any day.

Enforcer MKV
Dec 24, 2012, 11:44 AM

They're not online games, but some of the Dynasty Warriors / Soul Calibur / Namco Bandai games in general include the option to use Japanese VO while still using English subtitles. That being said...

please do this, please do this, please do this...

Edit: I mean, it's not as if it'd be hard; just include the Jp voice files in the downloader with all the rest. They already have them all, for pity's sake.

The Walrus
Dec 24, 2012, 11:59 AM
Pretty sure they'd still have to get new licenses to use the voices over here.

Shirai
Dec 24, 2012, 12:02 PM
Maybe someone will make it possible to switch voice files from both versions.

UnLucky
Dec 24, 2012, 12:48 PM
Pretty sure they'd still have to get new licenses to use the voices over here.

Exactly. It's not a matter of "just leaving them in," there's lots more involved. Sometimes publishers are forced to fully dub a game before it's allowed to even be released, and the costs for including multiple languages is much more than just the one.

Bunch of PC games can be modded to replace language packs, however. I know I've done that for AION and TERA. English/Japanese/Korean and such were all swappable if you can find a download. Just plop the official unmodified files in your install folder and everything plays fine. Might not always be as smooth as that, and most likely against some rules somewhere, but it's totally harmless.

Though I half expect SEGA to just remove all the voiced lines to cut costs.

Sp-24
Dec 24, 2012, 03:10 PM
I doubt that Sega will leave the Japanese voices in the game. Seeing just how many "free to play" games are there in the non-Japanese world, Sega most likely won't bother with English voice acting to cut the spending, and will just remove most of the voices altogether instead of keeping the originals. After all, selling a game that isn't only tailored to appeal to people who aren't them, but also where people speak in some crazy moon language to an actually wide, non-Japanese audience is, despite what some people here are trying to deny, not a very good idea.

Good point about licensing, too. Your average player who prefers English voices (provided this game has them in the first place) wouldn't care if the Japanese language is unavailable, and overestimating the influence of the wapanese audience is one thing that those people like to do and Sega doesn't.

Metalsnake27
Dec 24, 2012, 04:30 PM
I think they are just simply going to take the dialogue out, like they did with PSU.....

I would prefer them to keep some kind of VA... but I can see them doing that.

Silver_Wyrm
Dec 24, 2012, 04:37 PM
I feel they are doing the localization on the cheap and will keep the JPN voices.

I would prefer this to halfassed english voices and no extra voice packs, though that in itself would likely cost them more =/

but as above, it wouldn't surprise if instead we just got nothing at all

The Walrus
Dec 24, 2012, 04:39 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if all we get are the CG scenes and character grunts

Skye-Fox713
Dec 24, 2012, 05:44 PM

I would be very disappointed and highly pissed off if they did this. It will go to show that Sega doesn't care about any of its customers outside of japan. Because frankly to be honest all those voiced cut sceens and emergency mission quick dialog from the operators add to the game in a good way. I will also refuse to acknowledg a non JP pso2 exists with out them.

Sasamichan
Dec 24, 2012, 06:57 PM
They had English VAs in PSU, I don't understand why they wouldn'tdo it for pso2.

CJ Johnny
Dec 24, 2012, 07:53 PM
Disappoint in Advance!

The english Version will be 'Mute', as always. (just the NPC's mouth are moving)

Unless anyone/anybody that are willingly to 'Fetch' a BIG $ doe $ to SoA.

No such Option.
You shoud be very, very happy they let you read/see other than Japanese.

SSMitsuru
Dec 24, 2012, 09:18 PM
The Japanese version of PSP2 was much more fully voiced than the English release. I wouldn't be surprised if PSO2 NA suffers the same fate.

Mike
Dec 24, 2012, 09:23 PM
I would be very disappointed and highly pissed off if they did this.
This is what happened with the last new Phantasy Star game to be released outside of Japan. PSP2 lost the voice-overs for everything but CGs.

EDIT: Sniped :wacko:

Sparzyle
Dec 25, 2012, 04:58 AM
I'm ok with the JP voices, I just hope they translate well everything to other languages, specifically spanish :wacko: