PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 Damage Wise: Pure Mag Vs Hybrid Mag

Dark Emerald EXE
Dec 25, 2012, 03:37 AM
Before I get started due to the Pure Mag having the more ?-atk in terms of damage it would do more (or so I'd think)

And when I say Hybrid Mag I'm referring more to the ?-atk/Ability Mags where you just fed it like say nothing but range weapons.

I heard ability is ok but overall is just increases the "minimum damage" you can do which would then make your damage seem consistent as said by....

Ability is less intuitive, but its function is no less simple when properly explained. Ability increases your average damage for a given attack by roughly the same amount per point as the applicable attack stat. However, this damage bonus is added purely to your minimum damage, making your damage more consistent but less capable of large spikes. Ability comes with one significant advantage. Unlike specific attack stats, ability can be applied to all attacks, meaning it is equally useful to all classes. However, ability has some very notable drawbacks too. The damage increase from ability comes with a hard cap. You cannot increase the minimum damage of an attack to greater than 96% of that attack's maximum damage, so points into ability past tha tpoint are essentially wasted. Second, one must consider equipment requirements.

Now with that said in mind...if you want to just say....be straight damage in w/e job of your choice (in my case gunner)

Would it be better to do the pure or just stick with hybrid?

What's the pros and cons of both? (Not counting the process of making either or)
I took r-def into account but come to realize that w/o anything equipped I can wear Vardha unit soley on the tree skills.

I wanted to redo them both but looking at this as an example...and only using the minimum amount of SP to go to the next option, R-def isn't a problem to wear stuff unless they bust out with some other stuff :o
GU/RA Skill Tree (http://ryuhiroshi.funpic.de/pso2/skillcalc.html?kEIYIkIYIkIYIkIXIkIYIkIYIkIbIn00000 0ib00000ib4dGF00008dBeDI2cFIN000ib00000ib00000f)
And since now we have the option to have different PB options despite the stats via the excube shop...kind of gives you more options if you require said stats but may not like the PB tied to it....

Opinions?

Rien
Dec 25, 2012, 06:14 AM
Stick to the cookie cutter hybrid build. It seems upcoming gear may require more ability to equip than you may be prepared for.

Dextro
Dec 25, 2012, 01:48 PM
In general you should go for at least 100 mag levels in S/R/T-Atk.
The remaining <50 levels should be split between Ability or the corresponding Def stat - enough to equip the units you want to use.

Always spec your mag according to equipment requirements.
Never raise a mag's stats with the intention of benefiting directly from them; that's what unit abilities are for.

That extra 30Dex, T-Atk or R-Def you put into your mag will do virtually nothing for you in the field.
But what those points will let you do, is use a weapon that'll boost your Atk by an additional 90pts, or equip a unit set that'll boost your Def by an additional 110pts.
That's how it works.

As a FO, If i had a pure 150-T-Atk mag, I wouldn't be able to use either the black wing set or the snow set.
However, if i took it down to just 145 T-Atk and 5 T-Def, i'd now be able to use the snow set, which would grant me an extra +45 T-Atk set bonus.
Now I've got more T-Atk than someone with a pure mag.

So no, I wouldn't ever advise making a pure 150-Atk mag, even if your goal is to completely disregard everything but damage.

Z-0
Dec 25, 2012, 02:25 PM
If you're a female caseal or a male newman, and we're taking GU/RA, you need neither Ability or R-Def on your mag to wear the Vardha Units (don't) or the Black Wings.

If you're neither, you need like 10 R-Def for the Vardha Units (don't), and nothing for the black wings.

So since you're GU/RA, pure is the way to go. \o/ Unless you want to equip the Falz units, too lazy to figure out if you can equip them.

Dark Emerald EXE
Dec 25, 2012, 03:38 PM
Its funny you mention that as I end up getting the arms last night
Looking at it now.

With no units/weapon or MAG equipped.
Im sitting at Ability DEX which is exactly what you need for the FALZ gear lol
That's soley on my skill trees lol

I'm male cast 49GU/50RA if that means anything

In general you should go for at least 100 mag levels in S/R/T-Atk.
The remaining <50 levels should be split between Ability or the corresponding Def stat - enough to equip the units you want to use.

Always spec your mag according to equipment requirements.
Never raise a mag's stats with the intention of benefiting directly from them; that's what unit abilities are for.

This interested me a whole lot...and have a point.
Guess I'm thinking short term as it stands right now, I can wear w/e Vardha/Falz Units
Soley on my class's trees with no weapon even equipped.

Actually...the only thing I can't equip naked are my twins... Need 578 Ratk and im sitting at 548

So i figured...hey why not put focus into attack...for the MAG...

Hmmm

TheMagickHat77
Dec 26, 2012, 01:17 AM
I honestly didn't think this much thought had to go into preparing your MAG for getting end game content. Now I'm finding myself re-thinking what equipment I want for my Fi/Te and how to set up my new MAG for it.

Any experienced Fi/Techers want to share their experiences on what they did?