PDA

View Full Version : Rare matterboard drops

Zorafim
Dec 25, 2012, 09:13 PM
So far, matterboard has been fairly straightforward. If it's a weapon, switch to a class that uses that weapon, and hunt for five minutes. Each item has been really common, so it's fairly quick to plow through it.
However, in an attempt to 100% each board, I hit a snag on 6. I'm missing three items there, all dropping from bosses. I spent around five hours today hunting nothing but Quartz dragons hunting a 5* multislot armor, and nothing dropped.
So, is this common? Are boss drops just that much rarer than normal mob drops? It seems strange that I spend five minutes hunting most items, and even 5* weapons are fairly common, yet this one item is giving me this much trouble. Is every boss item going to give me this much trouble?

Heat Haze
Dec 25, 2012, 09:19 PM
Yup, it's pretty common. It's been said that they're implementing a way for Matterboard Drops to appear after a set amount of kills (I think it's already been implemented, but I'm not sure.)

Not every boss item is going to give you that much of an issue; the only problems I've had were the Matterboard 6 Sub Unit drops. Still haven't gotten the one from Quartz Dragon. The one from Vader I sold for 800k; never really occured to me why someone would pay that much when they could get it themselves until I tried getting the one from Quartz Dragon.

Trying to hunt for story items shouldn't be the same as hunting for rares. (Granted, the items aren't obligatory to progress towards the story but.. still. The lack of 100% bugs me.)

Sp-24
Dec 25, 2012, 09:21 PM
It's not exactly boss drops, just certain items. Quartz Dragon's and Varder's units are the best examples here, as they really take an eternity to drop for some reason.

consume
Dec 25, 2012, 09:24 PM
Didn't Sega fix this issue by making matter board items drop after a specific number of kills?

Sp-24
Dec 25, 2012, 09:26 PM
...Did they? I know it was promised, but whether it was implemented or not, no idea.

Angry_Ryudo
Dec 25, 2012, 09:32 PM
I've been hunting Vardha's MB item for countless times. Good thing is that it's a still boss, so destroying it is not difficult. It can take a while but at least is not hyperactive like Quartz.... and he has another uncommon drop?! Awww....

Zorafim
Dec 25, 2012, 11:06 PM
Alright, so I guess I should put this one on hold until I have nothing better to do with my life. Or at least I can blast it in ten seconds flat. Thanks for the experiences.

Kirine
Dec 25, 2012, 11:26 PM
Alright, so I guess I should put this one on hold until I have nothing better to do with my life. Or at least I can blast it in ten seconds flat. Thanks for the experiences.

You will eventually get it since it is a guaranteed drop after a certain amount of kills.

It's much easier to get a drop from a spardion (example) because it appears often but bosses like varder is rare.

Zorafim
Dec 26, 2012, 12:23 AM
Yeah, see, I normally get drops after about 3 kills. Ten at the most. I killed more Quartzes than that, and still nothing. That does make me wonder though. Does the counter reset when you switch investigations? Seems like it would, but it makes it annoying for when you want to grind in a new area.

Heat Haze
Dec 26, 2012, 12:28 AM
You will eventually get it since it is a guaranteed drop after a certain amount of kills.

It's much easier to get a drop from a spardion (example) because it appears often but bosses like varder is rare.

They're easier to drop, for sure. But it isn't because they appear more often. It seems to be that each matterboard drop have their own rates. It wasn't uncommon for many JP players to go through 100+ Vaders to not grab that damn sub unit (I believe it was these very people who vouched for the guaranteed drop feature). Whether you go through 100 Spardan A's, or 100 Vaders, you'd most definitely get that Spardan A drop within that frame but you probably won't snag the Vader Sub Unit.

Most matterboard drops are easy enough, and don't merit the guaranteed drop. But it's here anyway; and that's because some of these drops are near impossible. I'm almost certain that Quartz Dragon and Vader drop are solely responsible for this mechanic.

Alenoir
Dec 26, 2012, 02:09 AM
It took me less than 100 Vadar fights for that sub unit, but I like killing Vadar so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Got it before the guaranteed drop patch, too.

But yes, it usually takes more than 5 times before you will get that drop. Just do it while you're running through your job's lv45 SP quests. 7 Vadar and 7 Quartz per job.

MetalDude
Dec 26, 2012, 03:03 AM
20+ Quartz and no sub unit. Yeah, I'm going to wait until there's actual news on the implementation because this is some hot shit.

Nerineri
Dec 26, 2012, 05:01 AM
So far, matterboard has been fairly straightforward. If it's a weapon, switch to a class that uses that weapon, and hunt for five minutes.

I'm pretty sure that I hunted twin machine gun matter board item as a force though. Or is this actually increasing the drop rate?

Zorafim
Dec 26, 2012, 05:12 AM
Changing class increases the chance of a weapon matterboard drop dramatically. It's not worth switching classes for normal quality items, since those drop fast enough anyway. But for 5*s, you might want to consider switching to a proper class.

The reason why I think it works is the way drops work. You normally get a weapon of your class, and rarely a weapon of another class. So when the matterboard item is of your class, you'll get it much faster.

Alenoir
Dec 26, 2012, 05:15 AM
20+ Quartz and no sub unit. Yeah, I'm going to wait until there's actual news on the implementation because this is some hot shit.

It's already implemented (http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-jp-where-darkness-gathers-part-1-12052012/).

Matter Board Drop Change

Aside from getting the Matter Boards randomly after killing enemies, a system which makes those items certain drops after a set number of enemy kills has been added. Number of enemy kills necessary for the drop depends on the item.