PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 PSO2 vs Aion

domokun1134
Jan 1, 2013, 01:13 PM
So I've been playing PSO2 for a couple of months now, and in fact PSO2 is my first MMO. Not having anything to compare it against I was so blown away by everything in this game. I've got a good 50 or so hours into the game by now, and I'm up to Level 19. I'm at the point now where I'm starting to feel it's a bit of a "grindfest" and that client orders like "defeat X quest 5 times" are starting to get tiring, especially when you have trouble putting together a party for the needed quest.

Granted there's still a lot I haven't done yet on PSO2, I haven't experienced a team yet, or subclassing. I'm imagining things get better but right now I'm tired of doing the same damn quests over and over again.

I figured, well why not try another MMO to see how PSO2 compares? I did a bit of research and decided to try Aion. It's also free, and therefore low risk. What strikes me is how completely different it is to PSO2. The world is absolutely HUGE (which may end up having it's negatives), and overall the game seems way more complex (also may end up being a drawback). The battle system seems slower and more automated.

The graphics are very nice however and I find that the characters in Aion are drawn more realistically, particularly the way they move.

I'm not sold on it actually, and I don't really know what to do. I'm not going to play both, I don't have time for that. I just don't have enough experience with these games to know what I'm looking at. I've already put so much time into PSO2 that I want to keep playing with the hopes that it stops being so repetitive. THere's definitely things that PSO2 has that mean a lot to me:

-Anime aesthetics (bishonens and bishojos everywhere)

-In Japanese (I've studied Japanese for 4 years and this is a fun/challenging way to practice and converse with Japanese players)

-Other players are like-minded (I'm a complete otaku and it seems that a good amount playing PSO2 are as well. I'm not getting that vibe from Aion)

-NOT massive. Kinda play it for a bit and put it away. I'm afraid of Aion becoming all-consuming of my life.

So I was hoping if more experienced MMO players could offer some perspective. I really only want to play one game. Just pick one and be done with it.

ShinMaruku
Jan 1, 2013, 01:14 PM
PSO2 is not a hotkey game.

Shirai
Jan 1, 2013, 01:15 PM
Can you really compare PSO to AION? They're both two different types of games to be honest...

One's a generic Korean grindfest the other isn't.

Z-0
Jan 1, 2013, 01:19 PM
Yeah, PSO2 is a grindfest just like other MMOs I've played. However, PSO2 just has "action-rpg" tacked onto it, that's all.

Haven't actually played Aion, but posting this on a Phantasy Star Forum is going to get you a lot of bias in PSO2's favour, of course.

ShinMaruku
Jan 1, 2013, 01:48 PM
All MMOs are grindfest. Just Aion never hid it's grind. But ALL of them are grindfests. Look at wow, the master grindfest. Run heroics X times to get X Best inslot gear. If there is RNG there WILL be a grind.

Tcrusader51
Jan 1, 2013, 01:54 PM
I played Aion even before it became F2P when they were struggling. The difference between PSO2 and Aion is that PSO2 is an instance MMO while Aion is an Open World. Both can be considered MMOs but yet and still totally different.

Also Aion is an tab target and hotkey MMO in which PSO2 is more action oriented. That being said, don't let tab targeting take anything away from Aion as it is IMO the best at what it does with it's combat mechanics and animation. A lot of people may not speak too fondly of Aion but that's mainly because how NCsoft has/had mishandled the game especially when they first screwed up on the server merge and transfers resulting in a terrible imbalanced population of factions.

Point is, neither are actually any better outside of personal preference. I suggest you just enjoy both seeing as they are both F2P anyways.

jooozek
Jan 1, 2013, 01:56 PM
How are you only lvl19 when you spent over 50 hours in the game? Did you dance for 40 hours in b-20?

Coatl
Jan 1, 2013, 02:03 PM
How is it a grindfest if you haven't unlocked all the content yet? If you feel advancing into a new and mysterious area every new couple of levels is a grindfest, then you are doing something wrong.

domokun1134
Jan 1, 2013, 02:09 PM
I played Aion even before it became F2P when they were struggling. The difference between PSO2 and Aion is that PSO2 is an instance MMO while Aion is an Open World. Both can be considered MMOs but yet and still totally different.

Also Aion is an tab target and hotkey MMO in which PSO2 is more action oriented. That being said, don't let tab targeting take anything away from Aion as it is IMO the best at what it does with it's combat mechanics and animation. A lot of people may not speak too fondly of Aion but that's mainly because how NCsoft has/had mishandled the game especially when they first screwed up on the server merge and transfers resulting in a terrible imbalanced population of factions.

Point is, neither are actually any better outside of personal preference. I suggest you just enjoy both seeing as they are both F2P anyways.

Thank you. That's the kind of information I was looking for. I didn't know the difference between an instance MMO and open world and now I'm going to read up on it. I was just trying to find out the difference between the two without having to put 50 hours into it.

domokun1134
Jan 1, 2013, 02:10 PM
How are you only lvl19 when you spent over 50 hours in the game? Did you dance for 40 hours in b-20?

Lack of experience perhaps? Is it necessary for you to be so condescending?

SkyLx
Jan 1, 2013, 02:24 PM
Level 18-24ish is the hardest part of the game.
Dark Falz makes this much easier.
And then 46+

Zyrusticae
Jan 1, 2013, 02:33 PM
I've played Aion a lot, and there are some things you should know about it:

- Grinding for gear is time-consuming and completely necessary if you want to participate in PvP. PvP gear makes a HUGE difference in the game and you are very likely to be at a massive disadvantage if you try to fight someone who has a full set while you're running around in PvE gear.
- There are some class balance issues that may frustrate you depending on what class you're playing. Sorcerers in particular are pretty infamous for having a way to counter just about any situation outside of being ganked by an entire group.
- Faction balance is nonexistent. Asmodians are frequently outnumbered by Elyos by a factor of 2:1 or more. It's a huge problem and one that doesn't seem to be getting any better.
- You WILL have to do some repeatable quests on your way to 60 (and then do it again when they raise the cap to 65 in a few months). "Grinding" is a lot worse in Aion than in PSO2 due to the repetitiveness of the combat; you'll always be doing the same thing the same way every time, whereas in PSO2 you can at least change up your weapons, PAs, and techniques.

Aside from these, the PvP is actually tons of fun, the housing system is excellent (only beaten out by stalwarts like Everquest II), the graphics are indeed quite beautiful (aside from the low-resolution textures you see everywhere), and so on and so forth. I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the 'classy' armor looks they're going for (I prefer more, er, fanservice), but that could also be a positive depending on your tastes.

But the two are very different and hard to compare, with PSO2 being an instanced coop action-RPG and the other being a competitive open-world MMORPG. There's really little reason not to play both (unless you're REALLY worried about losing too many hours to gaming).

Xaeris
Jan 1, 2013, 05:23 PM
Really, Elyos outnumber Asmodians now? My, the winds sure do change.

Tcrusader51
Jan 1, 2013, 05:41 PM
Really, Elyos outnumber Asmodians now? My, the winds sure do change.

When I was playing it depended on what server you was on. Zikel had significantly more Elyos than Asmos. Vaizel had significantly more Asmos than Elyos. The other servers were imbalanced as well but not as bad as the previous two I mentioned. I don't know how it is now and I believe that they had another merge during the time of the 3.0 patch and the F2P change.

May0
Jan 1, 2013, 06:14 PM
This point has been brought up over and over but its the main reason I don't play private server WoW or a lot of other tab target MMOs. I want my reaction timing and knowledge of the game mechanics to trump my character's stats in importance.

Subsequently, if its a matter of PVP its always nice to be able to hit above your belt and take down players with better armor/stats by being better at the game. Although its not my favorite genre FPS games do this well enough if you're an old Counter strike veteran.

If you want a more open world style game but don't like tab targeting I would try Fallen earth, vindictus or Dragon nest. All of those can be found on steam. I would also say to try global agenda but that game is more or less dead already.

Most free to play FPS games blow but if you're interested in those there's always... Crime Craft? It does some very interesting things. Not my favorite MMO though.

As of the time I'm writing this the torchlight series is on sale as is terraria. Both really good games that use rpg elements mixed with some real time combat. Awesomenauts is also on sale and it does some things right but they need to rebalance stuff.

Syklo
Jan 1, 2013, 07:19 PM
If you want a more open world style game but don't like tab targeting I would try Fallen earth, vindictus or Dragon nest.

Vindictus and Dragon nest are both instanced.
Just saying, but it IS true that they're more open-world than pso2 (extra towns to go to, some exploration here and there and that's it; pso2 is just the one arks lobby.)

May0
Jan 1, 2013, 07:56 PM
Vindictus and Dragon nest are both instanced.
Just saying, but it IS true that they're more open-world than pso2 (extra towns to go to, some exploration here and there and that's it; pso2 is just the one arks lobby.)

My point exactly. I love the original PSO but the only hub for contact Pioneer 1. No bases on Ragol, no other star bases with unique looks- Nothing. You can argue there was a choice of "lobbies" but all the lobbies looked the same more or less. Episode 2 was a welcome change in that there was a new " hub town" tat looked different but they should of had several places like that in episode 1.

I don't wanna rag on the lack of content since the original PSO wasn't forcast to do all that well I believe. I forget where I read it but I remember reading something along the lines of PSO originally being planned as an advertising tool before it got turned into a full fledged game...or something to that effect. Whatever the case the lack of locales is one thing that hurt PSO and from the look of things so far PSO2. If I'm wrong regarding things in PSO2 please correct me. From all the screen shots I've seen the main hub area always looks the same.:-?

While dragon Nest/vindictus are instanced it feels more like an open world game because there are several different instances you can travel to- or hub towns or whatever.

FOnewearl-Lina
Jan 1, 2013, 08:07 PM
I played Aion before I came to PSO2, I just have to say Aion has a way better character creation, but the boobs don't bounce...

I like being able to fly around the abyss and world travel and stuff but endgame is pretty boring and raids are pretty much a clusterfuck, that being said there's not much to do in PSO2 apart from wait for falz but it's still a pretty young game.

Miwako
Jan 1, 2013, 08:39 PM
I played Aion for a long time. Both before it went F2P and after... they spent a lot of time working on ways to please both PVP oriented and PVE oriented people yet it took them forever to get it right... It is now however becoming a P2W game more then anything... When I started playing PSO2 I dropped Aion.. it was long... you could only lvl one class per char and you couldn't do a lot of things by yourself... and yea it might not look like it but not only was it a grindfest but also just to get anything worth a dam u had to bust out days and days worth of work... I like how PSO2 has that drop everything when u gtg and come back and not worry about anything..

Akaimizu
Jan 1, 2013, 08:51 PM
Well, to me, I tend to be a bit of a freak when it comes to Dungeon Hackers. However, Phantasy Star Online 2, still has one main thing that truly separates itself from most online RPGs, MMOs, and MOBAs. The same thing that makes all the Online Phantasy Stars more unique. The idea that you directly control your character in terms of every portion of combat, movement, and aiming directly from a controller instead of only movement having a possible direct movement utilizing the keyboard. Attacks aren't some queued up ability with cooldowns and such, which kind of simulates a bit of an active-turn-based combat initiative.

No. PSO takes it far enough to feel like an arcade-controlled experience with RPG elements. The most direct "I'm directly controlling my character" feel of them all outside of something like Gauntlet. No amount of keyboard and mouse control and/or queued action activation delivers quite that experience for me. Whether that makes a difference to you or not, is up to you. However, it is something that makes it unique enough to always want to be in my book. Yeah, I nearly play them all, here and there, but I guess it's because I like so many of the subtle and not-so-subtle differences that make each game in the overall Dungeon Hacking genre, unique. I may sound like a bit of a fanatic in putting so much weight on that difference, but perhaps it's because I am. I admit I'm a dungeon hacking freak.

And yes, one might sum up some of it with Shinmaruku's single line post. Just that hotkey's, cooldowns, mouse/keyboard control compared to gamepad all contribute to the feel of the game.

The grind itself, isn't a turnoff for me, especially if there is a good variety of areas I can go for. Nor is a bit of the RNG, unless it severely impedes my progress to getting to the end-game *especially with friends*. A trait which FFXI had and I couldn't stick with. While I'm sure it is still great stuff, I found my one insurmountable issue with the genre. Only on a game in which progress to the end-game (not the end-game itself) relies on luck of the RNG to actually achieve. RNG is a trait, in almost all of these games, I completely suck at. Luck is rarely on my side (Though in D3's case. Unless it is everybody else having RNG troubles at the time, then I have almost the opposite). On the other hand, having cool friends to play with in any of them, is always a formula to keep me plugging away at it longer. Having a cool group to joke with and make fun of mobs and such, always makes the grind no longer a grind. Running it alone too much, no matter the game, is usually the main way to burn me off of it a bit (which it has from time to time), but I've learned to conserve my time on each, if only to keep me excited to return.

CODE5
Jan 1, 2013, 10:03 PM
Well I can compare Pso2 to Tera since I played both..

Tera:
Open world
Real action combat
Can fight BAMs in open world ( Big Ass Mons)
Also a grind fest (once level cap)
Dungeons
Enchanting aka grinding
Paid sub with cash shop

PSO2
Action combat
Lobby (not open world)
Missions
Also a grind fest
Free but with cash shop and P2W option

Now Tera is a great MMO it's very fun and open world is great what kills the game is RNG you think Dudu is evil (lol) try enchanting a weapon to +10 or +12 I failed over 200 times just going to +8 and I'm not making this number up . I actually counted before I quit.. The Alkahest aka grinders are very expensive you would have to gold mine (aka save gold) for 4-5 days just to try 3 or 4 times to try and enchant.

Now PSO2 is more forgiving I started 2 months ago and already my 9* weapons are +8-+9
So I'm very proud of that.. And I have much more fun of pso2 than I did on Tera I just wish sega made it open world but eh w/e works for them I'm fine with I guess. Tera is a Korean grind fest where they make you fail to keep you playing.. IMO pso2 is much more of a casual atmosphere and for that I love it.. I don't have to be on 8hrs a day like I had to be on Tera grinding like a mad man.. I can log in play some EQ or grind for an hr hop off and be about my day.. :)

domokun1134
Jan 1, 2013, 10:15 PM
Lots of good info here. Thanks guys. I haven't put much time into Aion (maybe 1 hour) but I can already tell I don't like the "tab target" combat system, and I prefer the arcade-ness of fighting in PSO2. My main thing was I was getting a bit burned out doing the same quests over and over again for various client orders, and that it seems to be taking forever to get to LVL 20 where I can finally subclass, because I'm getting somewhat bored with Hunter and don't want to switch classes and go back to Level 1. Seems that Aion doesn't even have subclasses or give you the ability to switch and is just as bad if not worse with repetitiveness.

I guess I wish PSO2 was a bit more open world (tired of looking that same lobby all the time) but overall I think I'll be happy sticking with it. That is until Sega pulls the rug out from under us and IP-bans us all, which hopefully wont happen.

domokun1134
Jan 1, 2013, 10:26 PM

Just checked some videos/screenshots of Tera. Holy shit does this game look good, at least visually.

Anon_Fire
Jan 1, 2013, 10:32 PM

PSO2 is not P2W!

Z-0
Jan 1, 2013, 10:57 PM
Oh, but PSO2 is P2W.

Shop rakes in so much meseta that it's not a joke, providing you know how to use it of course. Don't need much "luck", just need to know what you're looking for (affixes mainly). Market Star Online is what you can call it.

AC Scratch also gives items which can sell for a bomb if you're lucky, although I don't really recommend this because it's expensive.

The game is a bit harsh on Free Players (especially due to massive trading restrictions), but you can't really complain as you're supposed to pay really.

Syklo
Jan 1, 2013, 10:59 PM
Oh, but PSO2 is P2W.

Shop rakes in so much meseta that it's not a joke, providing you know how to use it of course. Don't need much "luck", just need to know what you're looking for (affixes mainly). Market Star Online is what you can call it.

AC Scratch also gives items which can sell for a bomb if you're lucky, although I don't really recommend this because it's expensive.

The game is a bit harsh on Free Players (especially due to massive trading restrictions), but you can't really complain as you're supposed to pay really.
Phantasy Market Star Online.....

PMS Online

MetalDude
Jan 1, 2013, 11:44 PM
You don't have to pay to get good weapons and grind them up.

But holy shit, MyShop is just ridiculously good. Farm Mizer Souls e'ry dai. Found a Lambda Radeigle and sold that in a heartbeat despite nearing Lv. 50 on GU. Having tons of money is necessary for reaching +10 grinds in a reasonable amount of time.

thinktank001
Jan 2, 2013, 12:09 AM
So I've been playing PSO2 for a couple of months now, and in fact PSO2 is my first MMO. Not having anything to compare it against I was so blown away by everything in this game. I've got a good 50 or so hours into the game by now, and I'm up to Level 19. I'm at the point now where I'm starting to feel it's a bit of a "grindfest" and that client orders like "defeat X quest 5 times" are starting to get tiring, especially when you have trouble putting together a party for the needed quest.

Granted there's still a lot I haven't done yet on PSO2, I haven't experienced a team yet, or subclassing. I'm imagining things get better but right now I'm tired of doing the same damn quests over and over again.

I figured, well why not try another MMO to see how PSO2 compares? I did a bit of research and decided to try Aion. It's also free, and therefore low risk. What strikes me is how completely different it is to PSO2. The world is absolutely HUGE (which may end up having it's negatives), and overall the game seems way more complex (also may end up being a drawback). The battle system seems slower and more automated.

The graphics are very nice however and I find that the characters in Aion are drawn more realistically, particularly the way they move.

I'm not sold on it actually, and I don't really know what to do. I'm not going to play both, I don't have time for that. I just don't have enough experience with these games to know what I'm looking at. I've already put so much time into PSO2 that I want to keep playing with the hopes that it stops being so repetitive. THere's definitely things that PSO2 has that mean a lot to me:

-Anime aesthetics (bishonens and bishojos everywhere)

-In Japanese (I've studied Japanese for 4 years and this is a fun/challenging way to practice and converse with Japanese players)

-Other players are like-minded (I'm a complete otaku and it seems that a good amount playing PSO2 are as well. I'm not getting that vibe from Aion)

-NOT massive. Kinda play it for a bit and put it away. I'm afraid of Aion becoming all-consuming of my life.

So I was hoping if more experienced MMO players could offer some perspective. I really only want to play one game. Just pick one and be done with it.

PSO2 isn't a MMORPG. It is more along the lines of an ARPG or dungeon crawler (Diablos series). Repeating areas for more phat loots is main attraction for this type of game. The lobby areas kind of give it a more community centric feel.

Aion, LOTRO, are some P2W MMORPGs that you can try without having to invest any money into them. Age of Wushu (beta) is a bit more sandboxish, but is another P2W MMORPG that you could try.

WOW, FFXI, and FFXIV (release in May?) in the near future are a few high quality MMORPGs that would require a subscription, and EVE would be a sandbox option.

Tcrusader51
Jan 2, 2013, 01:17 AM

Tera:
Open world
Real action combat
Can fight BAMs in open world ( Big Ass Mons)
Also a grind fest (once level cap)
Dungeons
Enchanting aka grinding
Paid sub with cash shop

PSO2
Action combat
Lobby (not open world)
Missions
Also a grind fest

Now Tera is a great MMO it's very fun and open world is great what kills the game is RNG you think Dudu is evil (lol) try enchanting a weapon to +10 or +12 I failed over 200 times just going to +8 and I'm not making this number up . I actually counted before I quit.. The Alkahest aka grinders are very expensive you would have to gold mine (aka save gold) for 4-5 days just to try 3 or 4 times to try and enchant.

Now PSO2 is more forgiving I started 2 months ago and already my 9* weapons are +8-+9
So I'm very proud of that.. And I have much more fun of pso2 than I did on Tera I just wish sega made it open world but eh w/e works for them I'm fine with I guess. Tera is a Korean grind fest where they make you fail to keep you playing.. IMO pso2 is much more of a casual atmosphere and for that I love it.. I don't have to be on 8hrs a day like I had to be on Tera grinding like a mad man.. I can log in play some EQ or grind for an hr hop off and be about my day.. :)

Yea, Tera is indeed a good game. Problem with Tera atm is that it is in a sandbox form right now and need to refine it's content. For that reason, I temporarily left as I was getting bored.

Mystil
Jan 5, 2013, 05:22 PM
NCSoft is one of those companies that SEGA is 10000000000000000x better than.

Aion would make a great PVE only MMO. Due to the setup of PVP...its a bad game for PVP. Stack Mres, or just be higher level than your opponent and you (the lower) stands no chance at all.

Seany1990
Jan 5, 2013, 05:33 PM
NCSoft is one of those companies that SEGA is 10000000000000000x better than.

I couldn't disagree more. As much as I don't like open world MMOs, Guild Wars 2 is a much better game than PSO2.

SkyLx
Jan 5, 2013, 06:20 PM
I couldn't disagree more. As much as I don't like open world MMOs, Guild Wars 2 is a much better game than PSO2.

Guild Wars 2 all it really has is PVP, the rest is uhh so so. PVE grind dungeons all day just for exotic gear. WvWvW Zerg fest.
It was fun for the first few weeks, then afterwards it's kinda boring.
I for one play the heck out of it, Full exotic and a legendary the first month.

FacelessRed
Jan 5, 2013, 08:38 PM
As someone who has logged months of Aion and gotten to level 54. I will say that Aion is relentlessly stupid. It can be fun if you're in a large guild and have a lot of friends, but that's the case with almost every game.

Once you hit the grind wall in Aion, the pretty graphics are immediately just a tacked on visual interface to a repetitive grindy game, just as bad as PSO. However with the added annoyance of NEEDING to party for specific quests, that are absolutely required for your character to progress, which results in hours of wasted time, and unpleasent player interactions. Forced PVP aspects which will have many high levels, who are decked out in the gods gear, decimate you over and over till you want to rip your own arms off.

Horrid class balance in a forced PVP situation makes the game even dumber. Sorcerers can Kill anyone and everyone, Priests can kill and assist almost anyone and everyone who doesn't outright get the jump on them. followed by rangers, then templars, assassins and then gladiators, who are basically redundant (yeah you can tell i was a gladiator) I don't know much about it within the last 4 months or so, but when i tried to play it I was forced to go to a specific area for a quest to which 2 magic spewing enemy race characters were 1 shot killing everyone, so I just immediately quit.

Aion and other MMO's like it has larger open worlds and bigger goals than PSO does, something PSO needs to work on. (things that PSO could do is expand section of the fleet to make areas nice to be around or have different quest hubs to make the game feel bigger) PSO has a lot to work on to immerse you passed maximum, but we shall see if it gets there. But as a warning I'd suggest to stay away from Aion, Tera (which suffers from a lot of the same crap though) Is a much better choice, although I hate that game to.

Raxx425
Jan 7, 2013, 04:25 AM
But I have played my fair share of mmo's and I'm just playin pso2 until final fantasy xiv ARR hits beta.

Lumpen Thingy
Jan 7, 2013, 07:13 AM
But I have played my fair share of mmo's and I'm just playin pso2 until final fantasy xiv ARR hits beta.

you really think ff14 is going to be good? you funny

ShinMaruku
Jan 7, 2013, 01:58 PM
All MMOs in the traditional sense suck bawls.

Since PSo2 does not hide behinds 300 people opn screen hiding the bullshit like wow,aion and gw2 I think it will have more of a game than wow and aion with them making a bunch of people and a grind cover up the bad shit. But make no mistake MMOs are bad games. They just cover it up for some people. Others see through the shit. That's why there are only 15 million MMO players and much more others. :E

Para
Jan 7, 2013, 02:27 PM
Imo... PSO2 is not a mmo. It is a persistant online RPG with MMO qualities but should never qualify as a MMO due to its instance based setup.

MetalDude
Jan 7, 2013, 02:43 PM
It's far more similar to the Diablo series in the way that areas are set up and how you navigate.

Lumpen Thingy
Jan 7, 2013, 03:42 PM
Imo... PSO2 is not a mmo. It is a persistant online RPG with MMO qualities but should never qualify as a MMO due to its instance based setup.

holy sh_t I thought I was one of the only few that thought that lol

Seany1990
Jan 7, 2013, 04:59 PM

That's taking the definition of "Massively" to the extreme.

Gardios
Jan 7, 2013, 05:00 PM
Guild Wars 2 all it really has is PVP, the rest is uhh so so. PVE grind dungeons all day just for exotic gear. WvWvW Zerg fest.
It was fun for the first few weeks, then afterwards it's kinda boring.
I for one play the heck out of it, Full exotic and a legendary the first month.
You don't need to grind at all for exotics, you grind for the look alone (and oh boy can that be a massive grind). WvW can be a lot of fun if you stop mindlessly following the zerg and get proper gear/trait setup. Also, PvP in GW2 is actually one of its weakest points right now since you're locked into certain party compositions.
The thing GW2 has going for is the absolutely massive and immersive world and the content updates. The event stuff has been far, far bigger than the content other MMORPGs have provided. The mechanics such as individual loot or reviving/ressing other players also assures that players are actually helping each other, rather than bitching about KSing or looting...

GW2 is the reason I haven't logged into PSO2 in a while... aside from having no space on my hard drive to patch. Come out faster, VITA PSO2!

Agreed.

Cyclon
Jan 7, 2013, 05:29 PM
Yeah, PSO2 is a grindfest just like other MMOs I've played. However, PSO2 just has "action-rpg" tacked onto it, that's all.

Haven't actually played Aion, but posting this on a Phantasy Star Forum is going to get you a lot of bias in PSO2's favour, of course.

I haven't read the rest of the posts yet, but on THIS forum? Allow me to doubt it.

Let's see if I'm wrong...

Edit: I stand corrected.

Since the most important difference between these two games is the gameplay, the choice should be rather obvious really, depending on what you prefer. But, PSO 2 has no pvp as of now, and just like you said, no massive world either. In any case, these are two very different games, and finding the one you prefer really shouldn't be that hard. The most time consuming, however, is probably Aion.

Cyrusnagisa
Jan 7, 2013, 11:34 PM
PSO2 vs Aion?

Well since PSO2 is an Multiplayer Online Action Role Playing Game MOARPG
and Aion is an Massive Multiplauer Online Role Playing game or MMORPG
you can not really compare the two..... it would be like comparing Diablo 1 and 2 with Ever Quest or Ragnorok Online.

That and Aion is a bland generic Koren MMORPG that markets itself with boobs and ass

NoiseHERO
Jan 7, 2013, 11:43 PM
That and Aion is a bland generic Koren MMORPG that markets itself with boobs and ass

That sounds like 70% of PSO2

But replace koren with Korean.

Zyrusticae
Jan 8, 2013, 12:08 AM
That's taking the definition of "Massively" to the extreme.
No, it's not. Massively has always referred to huge number of players operating alongside one another in the same open world. It wasn't until people started bastardizing the term that we started getting bullshit like EVERY MULTIPLAYER GAME EVER being referred to as "massively".

There's no point to even having the word "massively" if every multiplayer game automatically qualifies for it.

Porkmaster
Jan 8, 2013, 05:59 AM
After having played WoW for 6 years and being the leader of a hardcore raiding guild, I've got a little MMO experience. I've also played Aion and if I had to choose between PSO2 or Aion, I'd pick PSO2.

Both games are grindy (moreso than other MMOs I've played) and can get pretty boring pretty fast. PSO2 gets the edge because the combat is pretty damn fun and the music is awesome.

Meji
Jan 8, 2013, 06:05 AM
That sounds like 70% of PSO2.*Looks at January 2013 Screenshot thread*
https://twimg0-a.akamaihd.net/profile_images/2936832657/abb6076501335852fded24f16583c977.png

Syklo
Jan 8, 2013, 07:02 AM
After having played WoW for 6 years and being the leader of a hardcore raiding guild, I've got a little MMO experience. I've also played Aion and if I had to choose between PSO2 or Aion, I'd pick PSO2.

Both games are grindy (moreso than other MMOs I've played) and can get pretty boring pretty fast. PSO2 gets the edge becuse the combat is pretty damn fun and the music is awesome.

Whoa.

Understatement.