PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 Just a random thought I had regarding 3D printers.

domokun1134
Jan 3, 2013, 10:44 AM
The recent popularity of 3D printers got me thinking. Wouldn't it be awesome if Sega had a mechanism set up where you can order a figurine of your character? I think it would be a great way for Sega to make a huge profit considering how serious most Japanese Otaku are about collecting figures (and American otaku as well). Who wouldn't love a figure of their character that they could display?

Sayara
Jan 3, 2013, 10:50 AM
It'd be cheaper to do it yourself.
(and more satisfying i feels)

Meji
Jan 3, 2013, 10:52 AM
What Sayara said.

Also, SEGA offered a scaled figure of your PSO Character back in some very old contest, so I believe they do have a way (unless they just ordered someone to make a garage kit out of it).

Heat Haze
Jan 3, 2013, 11:02 AM
I remember this being mentioned somewhere.

Sega originally did plan for players to be able to get figurines of their characters using 3D printers; but it eventually came down to: Not cost efficient, and difficult to streamline the process.

Wonder if I can find it somewhere.

gigawuts
Jan 3, 2013, 11:05 AM
Better job? MYSELF?

Give me nothing but clay and a table and I'll manage to set the entire building on fire by accident.

You have no grasp on how inconceivably artistically untalented I am.

I would make so many botched attempts I'd pull the entire world economy up by its bootstraps, and possibly another world's economy while too, just by sheer volume of clay production.

Cheaper, bah.

(It would be pretty satisfying if I managed it though)

Sayara
Jan 3, 2013, 11:09 AM
I didn't say it'd be easy! hahaha.... I probably flotch it up tons as well, but when it did come to form, it'd be like.
This is "チンクル" and i made her with my own blood. (Clay, PCP)

domokun1134
Jan 3, 2013, 11:26 AM

How? Whittle one out of wood? :)

What Sayara said.

Also, SEGA offered a scaled figure of your PSO Character back in some very old contest, so I believe they do have a way (unless they just ordered someone to make a garage kit out of it).

That's really cool that they used to do that. I mean it's not like they'd be doing it themselves, they'd subcontract it out to someone. They don't even have to do any work other than their programmers creating a mechanism to export the 3d model of your character to whatever format the printing company needs. If they managed to create a whole damn game I'm sure that would be pretty easy work.

Sayara
Jan 3, 2013, 11:31 AM
Thats one method. Or, disect some other dolls, and create the fabrics.
Or pcp, and wire or clay :>

Alenoir
Jan 3, 2013, 12:47 PM
How? Whittle one out of wood? :)

Some sculptors like to use Sculpey to create their figures IIRC, but I forgot what the other stuffs are. Just look around the garage kit scene and you will find some info on how to go about doing it sooner or later.

You probably need to know human anatomy for this to work, though.

As for 3D printing... It's just too expensive. You're looking at some 200 to 300 USD for a 1/8 scale figure that's probably not colored.

Syklo
Jan 3, 2013, 05:54 PM
There's always minecraft.

Skye-Fox713
Jan 3, 2013, 07:06 PM
I do agree it would be really cool if Sega offered something like WoW Figure Prints. http://www.figureprints.com/wow/Default.aspx

Chik'Tikka
Jan 10, 2013, 01:12 AM
3D printers are coming along nicely and getting better at making very small moving parts, but they aren't a be all end all figurine factory, and painting is an issue too+^_^+ if you want quality your still gonna need to spend some time working by hand (or finding someone else who can) to get what you want+^_^+