PDA

View Full Version : Story question- Mate/Fluids, how do they work?

Nicktendonick
Jan 6, 2013, 10:57 PM
This is a question that popped into my head as I've been writing my fanfic. I figured I might as well ask (and I guess here I suppose)

How in the world do things like the mates, the fluids, and things like the atomizers work?
Were there ever anything, in any PS game talking about it at all?

How do you think they actually work?

Noblewine
Jan 7, 2013, 11:56 PM
I think they are consumed or injected them into their body.

Nicktendonick
Jan 8, 2013, 01:11 PM
I've been thinking that too, but then I started to think about the CASTs / androids. How does a healing item that heals an organic body heal a mechanical body?

(I'd also ask how human-like are CASTs and the like built too. I do wonder if they're robots, or if they're built with human-like features (like able to eat food and expel the waste.

I've been thinking about it, and using Nanotechnology might be the answer? In the form of a paste or spray-like thing, applied to wounds. When they make contact they begin to repair what was there.

Noblewine
Jan 9, 2013, 01:12 AM
Probably the same way. Dunno. Nano bots is a probability. Good luck with your fanfic.

Nicktendonick
Jan 10, 2013, 12:47 AM
Thanks. It's actually the same one I started here a while back. (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184780)

It never really died, it just got thrown into textbook development hell (if you think that's bad, you should see my videogame and movie backlog). Finally got over my hurdles and continued writing again and ran into this little snag.

A simple liquid filled with nanomachines which can be applied as a paste/lotion application or used as a quick acting spray. After specifically identifying that it's made contact with a Cast, Newman or Human (and beasts, in PSU) it gets to work restoring injuries. That could work, that could work...

Sp-24
Jan 10, 2013, 06:18 AM
Isn't "photons" the default explanation for anything and everything in the PSO world(s)?

Nicktendonick
Jan 10, 2013, 08:26 AM
Yes...yes it is.

(also, fun fact, healing lasers do actually exist in some form IRL. My friend at his job uses them with animals, they promote growth/healing. Not really related to this topic, but hey, fun fact.)

Only problem would be how to explain it in forms of text. "I used a monomate" I can't use that initially. It'd leave the audience saying What is a healing mate? How does it work? Is it a spray, an item, a magic healing thingy?

What I currently say is actually this.
-----------------

I felt a pain the back of my head, instinctively checking I felt some of my own blood.

...not good. I rose up and took out whatever healing item I had, a trimate and applied it to the back of my head.
I felt the mate do it's job and started to heal up my wound, pulling in photons and applied whatever nanotechnology fluid it's made of to fix my bleeding head.
------------------
Not as fancy as what I said earlier (could probably explain it better too), but it's a working draft.

I wonder if there's a way to merge the ideas. Healing photons in a concentrated paste/spray?
Has any of the canons said anything on how they work?

Sp-24
Jan 11, 2013, 05:14 AM
Well, PSO2 has your character pause in the middle of a battle and drink a bottle of green liquid when you use a mate item, regardless of their race. And atomizers are some kind of pods that are thrown into the air in order to heal status problems, death or some HP by shining brightly.

Omega-z
Jan 11, 2013, 08:46 PM
Drinking/Introducing Photonic Nanomite/s into your body, the other's is a Photonic Radiation field. My guess.

Nicktendonick
Jan 11, 2013, 10:36 PM
Photonic Nanomites....that's such a techo-babbly word that it'd work perfectly. If you don't mind, I'd like to steal it.
The light thing definitely does work too (and like said, it does exist IRL. This would be the sci-fi future version of it)

It's funny how through the entire series they've never once had to explain what the heck they are (leaving it up to us), that drinking thing in PSO2 is the closest we've gotten to how they're used.

At least in fantasy you can go "it's magic, I don't got to explain a thing!" In science fiction we go "it's so advanced we don't have to explain!"

Sp-24
Jan 12, 2013, 09:37 AM
it's photons, I don't got to explain a thing!

Omega-z
Jan 14, 2013, 10:06 PM
Nicktendonick - NP, I'm glad that it work's.:):rappy:

Tooks
Jan 15, 2013, 12:52 PM
"How does this work?"
"Science!"

I've read once that the difference between magic and science is knowledge.

Though for this topic I'd say its probably some form of advanced nano-machine that, when ingested/injected it can determine the race of the creature it is inside and, if anything, what is causing the problem.

Of course the reason why Trimates are better, and thus more expensive, than monomates is due to the programming of the nano-machines being that more efficient at locating and dealing with injuries.

I suppose the reason Sega didn't feel the need to explain how they work is because their games are not rooted in actual science at all. Also its rare that a game will explain how things work, unless you're playing mass effect.

RedRaz0r
Jan 18, 2013, 02:26 PM
You drink monomates, duh. Play PSO2 for just a minute, you'll see.

gigawuts
Jan 18, 2013, 02:57 PM
space magic