PDA

View Full Version : Explain PSO2 in PSO1 terms

Garrett_TD23
Jan 9, 2013, 06:57 PM
I've been reading through some of the guides and it's honestly like reading it in a foreign language. I'm guessing that a "Fighter" class is similar to a Hunter or a "Gunner" is similar to a Ranger or a "Techer" is similar to a Force, then I see what looks like descriptions for hybrid classes.

Then there are other things from PSO1 that I did not see mentioned for PSO2; grinders, materials, meseta, units, body parts, weapon percents, challenge mode, etc. I reckon they have an equivalent under a different label or I just flat out missed it when reading.

I'm sure it will take a while to get a noob up to speed on what is what, but perhaps a basic run down of the more important things I ought to know about early in the game. Keep in mind I'm waiting out for the NA version of PSO2, but I am very familiar with PSO1.

Sayara
Jan 9, 2013, 07:01 PM
There is Hunter/Ranger/Force just like before.
The Fighter/Gunner/Techer are a different run style of play.

Fighter is like double dagger Hunter from PSO1, or Double Saber.
Hunter is Sword/Partisan etc

Gunner would be an exclusive to Mechguns
While Ranger would use Rocket Launcher or Assault Rifle (which is not like the Rifle its like a multispeed fire handgun)

Techer is more like a... Melee Force?
While Force is just what it is.

Grinding is not as simple as using Monogrinder. Its pretty dumb and frustrating.
meseta exists still the currency.

%s are not based on the enemy element but the element of type... Like
instead of Dark 30%, AB 50% its
Fire 20%, Wind 30% etc

Armors are totally different now.
Mag's exist and function similarly. Just with more stats than just
Power Up, Defense Up, Accuracy Up, Mind Up.
(its all 3 attack stats up, DEX which is like ability thing.., all 3 defense stats.)

Damage is based on 3 different stats vs PSO1s 2....
Strike D - Melee weapon,
Range D - Guns exclusively
Tech D - Magic power. Of course, spells do more as your tech attack is higher, like if your MST was high.
the same goes for the defense too.

Weapons require certain stats just like PSO1...
Melee weapons usually need Strike D.
Range need Range D
and Tech, tech. But some weapons require "Ability stat" usually weapons useable by anyone have that.

Slidikins
Jan 9, 2013, 08:07 PM
I've been reading through some of the guides and it's honestly like reading it in a foreign language. I'm guessing that a "Fighter" class is similar to a Hunter or a "Gunner" is similar to a Ranger or a "Techer" is similar to a Force, then I see what looks like descriptions for hybrid classes.Fighter/Gunner/Techer are alternate classes that you can unlock. "Hybrid" would be an incorrect term, although it does fit Techer. Techer is a battlemage of sorts, not too far away from FOmar's gameplay in PSO. They focus on melee combat more than Forces, but can still throw Techniques around when needed.

Then there are other things from PSO1 that I did not see mentioned for PSO2; grinders, materials, meseta, units, body parts, weapon percents, challenge mode, etc. I reckon they have an equivalent under a different label or I just flat out missed it when reading.

Grinders: Still used to upgrade your weapons (and armor), but there is a chance of failure now. Grinding is the money sink of the game.

Materials: These are no more.

Meseta: Main currency of the game. It's worth something now because it isn't capped insanely low, and because there's a player market. FUN is another currency earned by playing, mostly. And AC is yet another earned with your real life wallet. Most items that AC will net you are vanity items, or they reduce the money sinks of the other parts of the game.

Units: These make up your armor. You can equip 3 units (Rear, Arm, Leg) and they provide your main defenses.

Body Parts: CASTs don't wear clothing, but are comprised of Body Parts.

Weapon %s: A weapon can have elemental photons that will do more damage to enemies weak to that photon. They can only have one, and the effect is not nearly as noticeable as it was in PSO.

Challenge Mode: Gone, though Time Attack will give a similar experience to those looking for a challenge.

As for stuff you should know...

1) Your class is not permanent. You can change from one class to another at any point you're not in the field. Later on, you will be able to have a subclass as well. Therefore it's important to remember that you're not locked to one style of play with your character.

2) MAGs are very similar, but different. They have more stats now, and they all work 1:1. They still have Photon Blasts but they also have Abilities that will help you much more often. They also do not drop in the field. If you mess up your free MAG, you need to purchase AC to get another shot at it.

3) Combos are not limited to 3 hits. There is no Strong Attack. If you want to hit harder, you need to master the timing of the Just Attack.

4) CASTs can use techs, provided they are a Force or Techer of some kind. Conversely, Humans and Newmans can not use techs if they are not. Almost all racial distinction is gone. Don't expect CASTs to provide you with HP Regen, Trap Search, or Poison Immunity. It's gone.

There's tons more, but I'll wait until you have more pointed questions.

Courina
Jan 9, 2013, 10:02 PM
Trap Search now become Ranger skill

Seany1990
Jan 9, 2013, 10:11 PM
Did you play Phantasy Star Universe? If so then PSO2 is about 50% PSO, 25% PSU and 25% microtransactions.

striker0
Jan 9, 2013, 10:28 PM
CASTS lost trap vision?
That's what made them so awesome in the first place. Robots using spells is BS in my eyes. They were the ones that us front line guys loved using since they could take the most damage and dish it out.

Kirine
Jan 9, 2013, 10:42 PM
Weapon %s: A weapon can have elemental photons that will do more damage to enemies weak to that photon. They can only have one, and the effect is not nearly as noticeable as it was in PSO.

I would like to point out that elements does play a big role. A weapon that has elements does noticeably higher damage than a non elemental weapon. Also all elements affects enemies, even those not associated or a part of (i.e. Fire element vs. Vol Dragon), so you will always gain damage up with higher elements, but you do a bit more than usual versus enemies weak to your element.

Garrett_TD23
Jan 9, 2013, 10:42 PM
I did play PSU about 3 years ago. I just played through the offline story mode and called it quits. I vaguely remember the game, but I remember that it felt like the game was lacking a certain element that kept me hooked. I think what I missed about PSU was the ability to build mags. I also did not care for the ability to change character classes in the story mode, but if I remember right it was just a feature limited to the story mode. I was also some what confused about the the little robot that stays in your room and it makes things depending on what you feed it.

I'm very worried that I will not get the same joy out of PSO2 as PSO1, it just seems like the 2 games are more different than similar. I was basically hoping that PSO2 would follow the same model as PSO1.

Kirine
Jan 9, 2013, 10:47 PM
I did play PSU about 3 years ago. I just played through the offline story mode and called it quits. I vaguely remember the game, but I remember that it felt like the game was lacking a certain element that kept me hooked. I think what I missed about PSU was the ability to build mags. I also did not care for the ability to change character classes in the story mode, but if I remember right it was just a feature limited to the story mode. I was also some what confused about the the little robot that stays in your room and it makes things depending on what you feed it.

I'm very worried that I will not get the same joy out of PSO2 as PSO1, it just seems like the 2 games are more different than similar. I was basically hoping that PSO2 would follow the same model as PSO1.

The problem comes is that you're looking at pso2 through the glass lens of pso1.

Play the game as if it is new. Just try the game with completely new eyes, expect nothing, so that when you decide it is a game worth playing, it will truly come from your own decision. Don't start playing the game with a mindset of "what is similar to pso1" or else you will never have a good time and be disappointed. Just treat pso2 as a new different game unrelated to pso1.

Angelo
Jan 9, 2013, 10:52 PM
That's what made them so awesome in the first place. Robots using spells is BS in my eyes. They were the ones that us front line guys loved using since they could take the most damage and dish it out.

Then just make a HU/FI Cast? Tons of HP and Defense there. No 'spells'.

DS23
Jan 9, 2013, 11:05 PM
It's PSO, now with JUMPING EHRMAHGERD!!! And subclasess, too.

blace
Jan 9, 2013, 11:06 PM
A couple of things I haven't seen mentioned, jumping and gun turrets.

Aside from those, they're self explanatory. As for the overall feel of the game, the name is PSO but it doesn't engage you in that feel for the unknown that PSO had when venturing deep into Ragol.

This is a whole new game and does not continue from PSO.