PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

Blue-Hawk
Jan 9, 2013, 09:28 PM
Since we have a gaming, watching and listening thread, why not a reading thread?

I'll start. Just started The Trial by Kafka. Never read him before. Why didn't anyone TELL me to read this before? It's REALLY good!

Seany1990
Jan 9, 2013, 09:43 PM
I'm currently reading: Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie. I'm a nut for British crime literature.

RenzokukenZ
Jan 9, 2013, 09:56 PM
Dungeons and Dragons Player's Handbook, 3.5 ruleset edition.

Sinue_v2
Jan 9, 2013, 11:41 PM
Moby Dick. Pretty good so far, but... er, there's quite a bit of apparent homoerotic descriptions and scenery in it. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, and it's not detracting from my enjoyment of the novel, but it's just not something I would have expected from what's hailed as one of the greatest works of 19th century literature. I always thought the "Moby Dick"/Big Penis references were just a juvenille and ignorant play on the title... yet just a few chapters in and I find Ishmael and Queequeg spooning with "legs entangled" like a "husband and wife" in the Inn owners marital bed.

Also reading The Great Challenge: The Myth of Laissez-Faire in the Early Republic (http://books.google.com/books/about/The_great_challenge.html?id=fAMixpViqWYC), by Frank Bourgin. It's an academic treatise on the economic philosophies and actions of the founding fathers. Namely he examined the writings of constitutional convention, the federalist papers, and the policies of Jefferson, Hamilton, Adams and Gallatin and determined that the founders had intended for a strong activist central government that promoted economic management and an active hand in funding infrastructure and national planning - such as building roads, funding public education, etc. Why he didn't add in the views of Thomas Paine as endorsed in "The Rights of Man" and "Agrarian Justice", I don't know. Perhaps his endorsement of a sort of proto-social security, educational grants, and a national public wage guaranteed for every citizen were more well known in the 40's. They certainly aren't now if Bob Basso and the Tea Party are any indication. At any rate, his thesis was rejected unilaterally by a single member of the review board (the others, upon reading it later, approved), and it wasn't published until around 1990, after which he granted an apology and an honorary PHD.

NoiseHERO
Jan 10, 2013, 06:15 AM
Reading PSOW comedy sketch script.

Outrider
Jan 10, 2013, 10:19 AM
Nothing at the moment, but my plan is to sit down maybe this weekend or next and finally finish The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I started it over the summer but didn't have a chance to finish it. I liked what I read, though.

Ryno
Jan 10, 2013, 08:15 PM
I am currently reading.

Runners World Magazine February Issue. It is great reading health magazines! :D
[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.worldwidenewsonline.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/c/scan0002_11.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Orange_Coconut
Jan 10, 2013, 08:19 PM
I am currently reading the Sandman series by Neil Gaiman.

LK1721
Jan 10, 2013, 11:00 PM
Of Mice & Men by John Steinbeck (this one is actually for a class of mine)
A History of the Vikings by Gwyn Jones
Spice & Wolf Volume 6 by Isuna Hasekura

Bonjet
Jan 10, 2013, 11:28 PM
TopGear magazines. For now...

washuguy
Jan 11, 2013, 05:59 PM
Sun Tzu Art of War, its beautiful.... Its definitley going to require more that one read through, but I reccomend it highly.

Book of Proverbs

Blue-Hawk
Jan 11, 2013, 08:21 PM
Sun Tzu Art of War, its beautiful.... Its definitley going to require more that one read through, but I reccomend it highly.

I read that a couple of years ago. Very interesting read.

Anduril
Jan 12, 2013, 01:49 AM
I'm burned out on "serious" literature (seven years as an English major, yay!), so I've been reading through Terry Pratchett's Discworld series since it is well written and entertaining. Read Mort first since I had heard it was a good book, and now I've been going through the others in order. Currently almost done with Equal Rites.

CupOfCoffee
Jan 12, 2013, 02:15 AM
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, by Hunter S. Thompson. It's written in a pretty schizophrenic style, and I've never seen the movie so I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I kinda like it. After that I'm planning to hopefully knock out The Crying of Lot 49 (Thomas Pynchon), As I Lay Dying (William Faulkner), and The Bird's Nest (Shirley Jackson). I previously began reading all three of those but put them on the back burner for some reason or another.

I might also give The Long Walk (Stephen King/Richard Bachman) another read in the near future because it was really compact and had a mean-spiritedness that was kind of surprising and refreshing. It wasn't particularly scary, but the concept was vile enough that I'm still thinking about it months later. Apparently most of the Bachman books were like that and stand in pretty sharp contrast with King's usual "friendship conquers all and the good guys usually win" stuff.

AC9breaker
Jan 12, 2013, 09:15 PM
[spoiler-box]http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/421131_4773900836867_2051115124_n.jpg[/spoiler-box]

A bunch of 40k stuff. Got done with the Night Lords Trilogy and Grey Knights Omnibus. Aaron Dembski Bowden is easily my favorite Black Library Author. The way he fleshes out his characters makes them so incredbly interesting and he doesn't go overly into detail trying to describe things. His pacing for the Night Lords Novels where superb and Im so looking forward to cracking into the Emperors Gift. At the moment I'm trying to finish up the Ravenor omnibus. Just got done with the first part and was pretty entralled with it. So far Im enjoying it more then I am Eisenhorn when I first read it which is pretty surprising cause I thought Eisenhorn was fantastic.

Anyway yeah, nerding out with Warhammer! Its been keeping me sane since I still don't have internet in my room and my own personal laptop just kicked the bucket and I don't have a TV to play any games on it.

Outrider
Jan 13, 2013, 04:16 PM
Scratch what I said before. I've been meaning to re-read the Hobbit, and I found this gorgeous, leather-bound pocket edition at Barnes & Noble the other day. That's going to take priority for now.

Noblewine
Jan 14, 2013, 12:28 PM
Last week of the Sunday comics. Gotta love the humor in Garfield comic strips.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jan 18, 2013, 12:51 AM
I just finished A Memory of Light, the final book of The Wheel of Time series. It's been a good run, and I find myself satisfied with the ending.

Noblewine
Jan 20, 2013, 05:38 PM
I read the final issue of Nintendo Power. They had a poster of all the front cover art from the beginning to the finale. I disliked how it had little to read but I smiled when they brought Nester (he was sorta like a mascot for nintendo power) back to make a final appearance in the last issue.

Algrnon
Feb 21, 2013, 09:06 AM
Hi All,
Bought "The diamond compendium" of Deedee Cunningham last week and like to say if someone has any interest in diamond then must check this book. This book has a complete rang of diamonds origin and their properties, through mining and the four Cs of grading. Marketing, to modern high tech treatments, fancy coloured diamonds and synthetics.

Weeaboolits
Feb 21, 2013, 12:15 PM
I'm burned out on "serious" literature (seven years as an English major, yay!), so I've been reading through Terry Pratchett's Discworld series since it is well written and entertaining. Read Mort first since I had heard it was a good book, and now I've been going through the others in order. Currently almost done with Equal Rites.The discworld series is great, you should read Monstrous Regiment, if you haven't yet.

Also I am reading a translation of Megami Tensei.

Enforcer MKV
Feb 21, 2013, 01:16 PM
Online: I've taken it upon myself to read a few guides on taking care of a puppy.

Actual Books: The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien.

Anduril
Feb 21, 2013, 07:22 PM
Actual Books: The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien.
Great book. He strung together all those individual short stories in such a cohesive way that you would think they always had been conceived as a novel. I love his style and the connection he has to his characters is very evident, even in his other more fictional works like Going After Cacciato.

AC9breaker
Feb 22, 2013, 03:13 AM
Manga Wise: Hajime No Ippo
Beelzebub
The Breaker
Bleach and Naruto
Claymore and Berserk when ever they feel like updating them.

Actual book wise: Warhammer 40K: Ravenor the omnibus. Inquisitor trilogy
The 2nd book of the inquisitor trilogy, I'm surprised that I am enjoying this way more then the first book, Eisenhorn since I was simply blown away with it.

Up next I've got The Emperors Gift, a Grey Knights Novella. Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Aaron-Dembski Bowden, I was sold.