PDA

View Full Version : No video on PSO2?

Income Taxs
Jan 11, 2013, 03:24 AM
I'm having a bit of an issue here:

Recently redid my desktop, and PSO2 starts fine with audio, but no video? I'm running an i5-3570k processor, 14GB RAM, Nvidia GT 620 graphics, up to date drivers... no idea what the problem is? Not the shaders or FPS settings of the game, not my firewall or antivirus, not windows 8 (I'm running 7 Ultimate x64).

Does anyone have an idea that may help me out?

ZIE creations
Jan 11, 2013, 12:17 PM
I can suggest the obvious things, such as checking the files on the patcher and try running the game in windowed mode with simple shaders.

Seany1990
Jan 11, 2013, 12:23 PM
14GB RAM

Erm... Why?

Lumpen Thingy
Jan 11, 2013, 12:52 PM
Erm... Why?
I have 16 and its amazing for multi-tasking while playing games on max settings while streaming

Seany1990
Jan 11, 2013, 01:44 PM
I have 16 and its amazing for multi-tasking while playing games on max settings while streaming

I've had photoshop and battlefield 3 running and only used 6gb

Income Taxs
Jan 11, 2013, 08:00 PM
Tried updating the files, nothin. I'm currently doing a fresh download and complete fresh install, see if that works. If not I'll see if it's an nvidia setting...

As for the RAM, not really important why I have 14GB lol. I had 6, had bought an 8 upgrade, bought a new motherboard, decided to combine them for S&G's :)

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 11, 2013, 08:50 PM
...how many slots for ram do you have? I've never heard of a 3GB DIMM and if you have 6 slots but are only using 5 that can cause problems from what I've heard.

Income Taxs
Jan 11, 2013, 08:56 PM
I have 4 slots, using 4GB chips on 3 of them, and a 2GB on another. My motherboard supports up to 32GB.

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 11, 2013, 09:07 PM
Well I'm no expert, but I think having one channel set up for dual channel and one set up in single can cause some issues. They may not present everywhere but PSO2 may just be one of those things that doesn't like it.

Also Did you do what the others prescribed and set your graphics settings to minimal? the 620 is not a very good GPU.

Income Taxs
Jan 11, 2013, 09:22 PM
I'll experiment with that, who knows.

Not yet, finishing the fresh install now so I'll try. I can run PSO2 on level 5 settings on my laptop fine (A10 processor, 6GB ram, AMD 7660G 3GB graphics). My desktop should run better, no?

Seany1990
Jan 11, 2013, 09:23 PM
I have 4 slots, using 4GB chips on 3 of them, and a 2GB on another. My motherboard supports up to 32GB.

Bro your memory modules should all match. 2 4gb modules of the same model memory would probably be better.
Try taking the non matching ram out and see if it improves.

Income Taxs
Jan 11, 2013, 09:28 PM
Bro your memory modules should all match. 2 4gb modules of the same model memory would probably be better.
Try taking the non matching ram out and see if it improves.

Good idea, I'll go pick some up from work here in a bit. Threw the 6GB non-matching in for the hell of it lol, probably not the smartest idea but whatevs, and now I have an excuse to bump up to 16 :)

Seany1990
Jan 11, 2013, 09:30 PM
Good idea, I'll go pick some up from work here in a bit. Threw the 6GB non-matching in for the hell of it lol, probably not the smartest idea but whatevs, and now I have an excuse to bump up to 16 :)

I would think it wouldn't be a problem, but when min/maxing a computer specification, the second rule is to match your dual/quad channel modules.

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 11, 2013, 09:32 PM
I'll experiment with that, who knows.

Not yet, finishing the fresh install now so I'll try. I can run PSO2 on level 5 settings on my laptop fine (A10 processor, 6GB ram, AMD 7660G 3GB graphics). My desktop should run better, no?

GPU can be a big difference. if your laptop's gpu is better than the 620 that would be a big change. i would definitely run it at level 1 and see if there are any changes because the 620 is really a pretty low end card.

But yeah the RAM is also an issue. I remember reading when I built my computer that all your ram should match.

Income Taxs
Jan 11, 2013, 09:39 PM
Wellllll never mind everything lol. Just copied all the files from my laptop to my desktop and it works like a champ on level 5. Still going to fix the RAM mismatch (thanks for the advice), but hell I'm running fine right now :)

Thank you SociableTyrannosaur and seany1990 for your input :)

Chik'Tikka
Jan 12, 2013, 01:57 AM
Well I'm no expert, but I think having one channel set up for dual channel and one set up in single can cause some issues. They may not present everywhere but PSO2 may just be one of those things that doesn't like it.

Also Did you do what the others prescribed and set your graphics settings to minimal? the 620 is not a very good GPU.

your correct, the entire board will only go as fast or as well as the weakest/slowest component+^_^+ if you must have RAM with different GB values, at least make sure they have the same channels and Hz rates+^_^+ optimally they should not only be the same specifications, but also be the same Brand name (like Trancend, Corsair, Kingston), that way there are no underlying hardware differences from the manufacturing process mucking things up+^_^+

Seany1990
Jan 12, 2013, 07:37 AM
your correct, the entire board will only go as fast or as well as the weakest/slowest component+^_^+ if you must have RAM with different GB values, at least make sure they have the same channels and Hz rates+^_^+ optimally they should not only be the same specifications, but also be the same Brand name (like Trancend, Corsair, Kingston), that way there are no underlying hardware differences from the manufacturing process mucking things up+^_^+

I would go as far as to say to keep the same product within the brand, such as Corsair Vengeance or Kingston Hyper-x Genesis.

DoubleCannon
Jan 12, 2013, 09:09 AM
When I plan my computer down the road it will be Intel Haswell, Nvidia Maxwell High performance type card, 16gb ram! You can just never have enough! Plus the games in the future will become more and more complex. Always nice to stay ahead of the game :)

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 12, 2013, 06:12 PM

You mean timing not channels right? the channels are on the montherboard.

what you should really be doing is buying the kits specific to your configuration. Brands like g.skill actually pair up DIMMs that they can guarantee will sync up without issue since there are always variables in the fabrication process. even buying the exact same ram in singles can cause timing issues in multi channel modes.

When I plan my computer down the road it will be Intel Haswell, Nvidia Maxwell High performance type card, 16gb ram! You can just never have enough! Plus the games in the future will become more and more complex. Always nice to stay ahead of the game :)

gotta go 32Gb (which by 2014 will be standard at this rate) and not just haswell/maxwell. a GTX 820 will be a maxwell GPU but will still probably fall to a 680 or a 660, right? Same with i3 vs i7. you have have cheap new and still not get the performance of the old stuff.