PDA

View Full Version : Hunter vs. Fighter?

Deviruki
Jan 11, 2013, 09:24 PM
Which one is the stronger of the two? I've been gone a while and just wanted to see if anyone knew, so I'd knew which class to level...

I know Fighter is faster and whatnot, but does it make up for it?
Are they both just about equal?

I just want to know which is more effective. I really hope "speed stick" isn't still the way to go.

Seany1990
Jan 11, 2013, 09:31 PM
edit - misinformed

The Walrus
Jan 11, 2013, 09:36 PM
Pretty sure it's the other way around

Seravi Edalborez
Jan 11, 2013, 09:37 PM
They both have advantages. (Veeeery simplified view)

Hunter: Sword has great range and speed with Sonic Arrow (among other things), Partizan is a solid choice with Speed Rain and Slide Shaker (huge AoE). Both are also very safe to use as you can guard cancel out of most attacks.

Fighter: Double Saber is king for single target DPS between the two classes for just Deadly Archer.

Fighter/Hunter is typically seen as a "better" combo than Hunter/Fighter, if only because Hunter's best all-class weapons (Lambda Aristin, Lambda Patty Lumeria, Lambda Hyperion) are relatively easy to grind and pretty powerful.

Fighter makes a good sub for any of the Striking and Tech classes due to the Brave/Wise stances.

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 11, 2013, 09:38 PM
Fighter is usually taken as a subclass.

Other way around actually

Most people main fighter because HU has better all class weapons.

The people who take fighter as a sub are people who want the stances to supplement damage but dont want to melee.

Deadly Archer and Kamaitachi (DS Gear) are extremely powerful. and if you wanted to use HU weapons you just run HU as your sub and pick up weapons like Lambda Aristin Lambda Hyperion and Lambda Patilumeira. Fighter Weapons don't have those sorts of options. The good knuckles and DSes are Fi only and the only multiclass TD is really expensive.

Seany1990
Jan 11, 2013, 09:44 PM
Pretty sure it's the other way around

Other way around actually

Most people main fighter because HU has better all class weapons.

Interesting, I've seen more HU than FI during my time so assumed. I don't see FI very often.

Dnd
Jan 11, 2013, 10:03 PM
I imagine you see more fighter subclasses then fighter main classes because of the stances giving a quite tasty damage boost to the ranged main-class.

As far as I see it, Hunters are the more tanky melee classe, can obtain get survivability or pretty nice offensive powers.

The fighters pretty much have one choice - Potent very close range melee damage, daggers providing an aerial option for stuff like ragnes, which is awesome fun.

Using the all-class weapons, as people have already put, enables fighter main with all the hunter weapon classes (And their guarding - so mitigating one huge weakness of the fighter class, unless your good with kuckcles or timing the step invulnerability)

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 11, 2013, 10:15 PM
Hu isn't that meaty compared to Fi. They have marginally more HP but that's it. The other "meaty" skills are all accessible via subclass and again the weapons being accessible to Fi more readily than Fi weapons to Hu, gives all the survival skills of Hu, all the versatility and damage output of two true classes and at the cost of 40-50HP which is negligible considering the equipment options. and how easy it is to cover 50HP with affixes and units.

NoiseHERO
Jan 11, 2013, 10:18 PM
unless you main sword and you get a 10* one, you'll be glued to your lambda artisan. Hunterwise that is.

Hell even wiredlance and partizan have awesome all class weapons...

tempted to buy a non sword gear/just guard hunter tree just to put more points into other things as I sub it for fighter. Then I remember I don't wanna give this terrible game any more money.

schnee4
Jan 11, 2013, 11:04 PM
If you want the best opinion from someone who actually played Hunter and Fighter for a significant amount of time then hear me out...

Hunter is the best MPA/CC in the game. Other Spin, Sonic Arrow, Slide End, Assault Buster with gears destroy mobs. I'm going to tell you right now, if you see a Hunter using Speed Rain..or even Slide Shaker they aren't efficient hunters.

Hunter's best single dps is Holding Current, Bandersnatch, and Slide End. But, these PA's are outmatched by Deadly Archer..Which is why you will see most "efficient players" main Fi for Double Sabers and then just use multiclass Hu Weapons like LP Lumeria, L Hyperion/FalClaw, and L Aristin.

Fighter is useful for three things, deadly archer with gear, knuckle dash, and stances. Knuckles are a viable single dps but Twin Dagger DPS is a joke even for airborne enemies compared to Gunslash. That's why all the Kiritos you see end up quitting the game.

Jakosifer
Jan 11, 2013, 11:09 PM
That's why all the Kiritos you see end up quitting the game.

+1

KIRITO KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN~

...Say my name say my name, if no one is around you, say baby I love you...

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 11, 2013, 11:17 PM
oh lawd.

Rien
Jan 12, 2013, 12:37 AM
Hunter is the best MPA/CC in the game. Other Spin, Sonic Arrow, Slide End, Assault Buster with gears destroy mobs. I'm going to tell you right now, if you see a Hunter using Speed Rain..or even Slide Shaker they aren't efficient hunters.

Hunter's best single dps is Holding Current, Bandersnatch, and Slide End.

A few questions:

1. How do you deal with:

The charge time of Assault Buster?
Bosses/Mobs that cannot be picked up vs Holding Current?
The jumpback of Bandersnatch? (I know about the jumping part, but quite a few times I find putting myself in the air is simply not a good idea)

2. Other Spin or Other Cyclone?

3. The range on all this stuff. Don't they still lose out on range in MPA's? (Someone tells me a Launcher rocket is faster than Sonic Arrow. I'm too lazy to go check this out myself lol.)

MetalDude
Jan 12, 2013, 01:00 AM
Charge time on Assault Buster's really not that bad. Like with tech charging, you can release it a bit early to still get the full charge out of it.

All WL grapple PAs will still take effect and deal damage on ungrabbable targets with the exception of destructible objects (Baize, Darchyme, any environment objects).

Step forward after Bandersnatch.

If there's a lot of enemies, it won't hurt to grab one especially when using Other Spin which will pull groups together.

Sonic Arrow is thrown out pretty quickly. As long as you frontline the group, you can get to most mobs first. Part of it is learning to attack spawns that haven't been payed attention to yet.

Rien
Jan 12, 2013, 01:03 AM
All WL grapple PAs will still take effect and deal damage on ungrabbable targets with the exception of destructible objects (Baize, Darchyme, any environment objects).

Yeah, but with Holding Current they have the tendency to just move away.

Unless you have them locked in position by some random sorcery (e.g freeze vol's feet)

blace
Jan 12, 2013, 01:11 AM
Yeah, but with Holding Current they have the tendency to just move away.

Unless you have them locked in position by some random sorcery (e.g freeze vol's feet)
Or severe lag that leaves them open to every attack possible.

Cyclon
Jan 12, 2013, 04:46 AM
Hunter's best single dps is Holding Current, Bandersnatch, and Slide End.
Holding current's potential top damage is completely over the roof(I think they nerfed it a bit, but it's still like "hey let's make a PA that deals the damage of rising edge about 15 times in 3 seconds to a single target" and yes that's exaggerating a little but not that much), so much that I don't think even deadly archer comes close; but ONLY on things it can grab. On bosses its damage is pathetic, you're better of using air pocket swing if suicide is your thing.

Bandersnatch is an all around great PA, but not THAT damaging(compare Sonic arrow spamming to Bandersnatch spamming and you'll quickly see the difference).

Also Slide end? Assault buster? Yeah, they deal considerable amounts of damage CHARGED(and then again, they're pretty much equal to rising edge and nova strike in dps). Unlike the sword's chargeable PAs, they're mostly worthless uncharged, and that's a problem, because as a result they lack flexibility. Also, Assault buster cannot be used as an approach tool just because of that, 'cause seriously, an approach tool that HAS to be charged? Might as well just step attack JA.

By the way I've been meaning to say this for a long time, but if this is to ever become a game that isn't laughed at by everybody, we should have ways to experiment with our dps. So basically have dummies with infinite hp somewhere(additional room in the campship perhaps?). I could understand that some people wouldn't want this, but hasn't this series been treated as a joke for far too long now?

Anyway, the best of the two is probably fighter, if only because of its ridiculous stances.

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 12, 2013, 04:54 AM
...wut?

gigawuts
Jan 12, 2013, 05:46 AM
Holding current is really that devastating? I didn't know. The last time I touched it was way back in PBT, since then I've stuck mainly to swords. I'll have to give it another try the next time I main hu. Thanks for the tip.

Rien
Jan 12, 2013, 06:13 AM
Holding current is really that devastating? I didn't know. The last time I touched it was way back in PBT, since then I've stuck mainly to swords. I'll have to give it another try the next time I main hu. Thanks for the tip.

Actually it's always been that devastating, but like a lot of things it's kind of a guide-dang-it where you're not shown how to make the most out of it.

Gen2000
Jan 12, 2013, 06:39 AM
Hori Turbo controller + Holding Current = Wired Lance HU solo'ing VH Elder Falz under 10min, breaking all the arms...both times. It's stupid.

More on-topic, not sure why HU would be at odds with FI or vice versa. You put em together to make one of the ultimate combos.

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 12, 2013, 06:40 AM
Hori Turbo controller + Holding Current = Wired Lance HU solo'ing VH Elder Falz under 10min, breaking all the arms...both times. It's stupid.

More on-topic, not sure why HU would be at odds with FI or vice versa. You put em together to make one of the ultimate combos.

O_o no one's saying they're at odds. We're saying lead with Fi so you get the best of both since there are really no good Fi all class weapons.

Rien
Jan 12, 2013, 06:40 AM

Does it actually, um, shock?

Gen2000
Jan 12, 2013, 06:42 AM
The thread title is called Hunter vs. Fighter and OP ask which one is stronger. You're most likely gonna end up combining em both anyways so no real reason to even question it.

Edit: If you put Shock on the weapon it will but it doesn't matter of the haxed out damaged from maxed mashing.

Rien
Jan 12, 2013, 06:49 AM
The thread title is called Hunter vs. Fighter and OP ask which one is stronger. You're most likely gonna end up combining em both anyways so no real reason to even question it.

Edit: If you put Shock on the weapon it will but it doesn't matter of the haxed out damaged from maxed mashing.

But unless you receive multiple ass-smashes from Elder you're not really going to have access to the laser arms....

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 12, 2013, 07:01 AM

That was on page 1. we've already established they should be combined for twice the awesome.

Gen2000
Jan 12, 2013, 07:23 AM
@ Rien, then put shock on the weapon.

@ SociableTyrannosaur: Yes that's what I said and implied too, can I not just add on the notion of the two being combined is awesome like everyone else. Not sure why you're hounding me but whatever.

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 12, 2013, 07:25 AM
@ Rien, then put shock on the weapon.

@ SociableTyrannosaur: Yes that's what I said and implied too, can I not just add on the notion of the two being combined is awesome like everyone else. Not sure why you're hounding me but whatever.

Wasn't trying to jump on you, was just letting you know we'd moved past that.

Rien
Jan 12, 2013, 07:33 AM

I found the video you're talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvuPlSFsf9I

Cyclon
Jan 12, 2013, 08:36 AM
Well, forget what I said, apparently the additional damage of holding current is dealt in a small aoe -that just so happens to be where a grabbed ennemy lies-, and it still exists if you use the PA on non-grabbable stuff. Can't believe I missed that.

...wut?
Was that why? Or is there something else?

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 12, 2013, 06:06 PM
More like "you really care if a game is taken seriously?"

Seravi Edalborez
Jan 12, 2013, 06:24 PM
Well, forget what I said, apparently the additional damage of holding current is dealt in a small aoe -that just so happens to be where a grabbed ennemy lies-, and it still exists if you use the PA on non-grabbable stuff. Can't believe I missed that.

Yeah, all "grab" PAs are like this. If the enemy can't be grabbed for whatever reason (too big or using an attack with super armor), you'll just be throwing/grabbing a white ball or thin air after the first hit. Like trying to use Other Cyclone on a boss you would just hit something and throw "air".

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 12, 2013, 06:31 PM
just out of curiosity is there an easy way to setup rapid fire on a kb or mouse? I tend not to mess with that stuff so I don't know. I haven't used holding current in ages and while I knew mashing helped I didn't think it was the eater of worlds. I wanna check this out

Punisher106
Jan 12, 2013, 09:32 PM
Me, personally, I find fighters much more effective. People say daggers are bad, DPS-wise, but I use it as a great defensive strategy. Raging Waltz the monster, air combo, throw in an Orchestra or two, RW again when needed to keep you up in the air. You will rarely ever get touched, especially with most bosses.

Seravi Edalborez
Jan 12, 2013, 09:40 PM
Twin Dagger is definitely very defensive (heck, most attacks and normals have some auto-guard frames as well) but if enemies move even slightly you tend to start missing and have to do another Raging Waltz.

Syklo
Jan 12, 2013, 10:20 PM
and that's where scherzo comes in to pull them back!

Seravi Edalborez
Jan 12, 2013, 11:09 PM
Dark Scherzo draws enemies in? Still, problem stands on bosses. Falz Arms stand out in my mind as even the attacks they hold still for tend to move their butt-stump weak point a lot.

Syklo
Jan 12, 2013, 11:50 PM
Dark Scherzo draws enemies in? Still, problem stands on bosses. Falz Arms stand out in my mind as even the attacks they hold still for tend to move their butt-stump weak point a lot.
On the third (final) hit, yes.
Works brilliantly with an orchestra follow-up.

As for bosses....it's not hard to get that pp back after a waltz in position :P

Cyclon
Jan 13, 2013, 12:55 AM
More like "you really care if a game is taken seriously?"
Oh, that... well yes, I guess I do care. I could elaborate, but let's leave it at that.

Yeah, all "grab" PAs are like this. If the enemy can't be grabbed for whatever reason (too big or using an attack with super armor), you'll just be throwing/grabbing a white ball or thin air after the first hit. Like trying to use Other Cyclone on a boss you would just hit something and throw "air".
Yeah, like most people I noticed that long ago, but I couldn't get that to work with holding current the few times I tried. So I figured that was an exception, because of its otherwise very high damage.

BIG OLAF
Jan 13, 2013, 02:22 AM
Daggers absolutely wreck certain bosses (Vol Dragon, Zeshrayda, etc.). But, they are definitely not for 99% of regular mobs, or certain other bosses. Very situational weapon.

As for the original point of the topic-

[spoiler-box]http://i48.tinypic.com/11c455t.jpg

That's what I do.[/spoiler-box]

ShinMaruku
Jan 13, 2013, 02:28 AM
Daggers absolutely wreck certain bosses (Vol Dragon, Zeshrayda, etc.). But, they are definitely not for 99% of regular mobs, or certain other bosses. Very situational weapon.

As for the original point of the topic-

[spoiler-box]http://i48.tinypic.com/11c455t.jpg

That's what I do.[/spoiler-box]
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/28995627.jpg

Alisha
Jan 13, 2013, 03:00 AM
well for me i like to make alts specializing in diifferent classes.

blace
Jan 13, 2013, 03:07 AM
well for me i like to make alts specializing in diifferent classes.
It's a really time consuming process if you play casually. I say that from experience, because some of the unlockables compliment another class from a different spectrum entirely.

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 13, 2013, 03:24 AM
yeah the money and time spent to make a Fi/Gu for example...not worth it when you already have Fi and GU unlocked on another character with comparable stats.