PDA

View Full Version : Handheld Opinions needed

Dualbird12
Jan 12, 2013, 03:54 PM
I've been looking for a handheld gaming system for awhile. I had a PSP but it broke and since the PS Vita is out now I've been wanting one.

The best deal I can find for a Vita is $250.
Is it worth spending $50 more to get a Vita with 3G??

Also what games would you recommend I get for it??

I'm into RPGs, Fighting games, and action adventures but I'm open to all suggestions.

Rusty Spoons
Jan 12, 2013, 06:33 PM
I'd say it's most definitely worth the extra $50 for the 3g version. As far as I know the only difference between the 3g/wifi version and the plain wifi version is just that, one has 3g capabilities and one doesn't. Even if you don't think you'll use the 3g you will still have the option. You don't ever *need* to use the 3g capabilities; It is quite possible to ignore that function and just use wifi. It comes down to the saying that goes, "its better to have something and not need it, than to need something and not have it." Personally id shell out the extra $50 and have the extra function rather than have to spend another $300 for the 3g after I've already purchased the $250 wifi model.

I cant help you with the game side of things as I don't own a vita. I really want one but I'm waiting for a price drop or a game I really want for it. At some point I will own one though.

If you discover any cool games, please do share. I'm into pretty much the same type of games with an emphasis on RPGs.

Randomness
Jan 12, 2013, 07:13 PM
I'd say it's most definitely worth the extra $50 for the 3g version. As far as I know the only difference between the 3g/wifi version and the plain wifi version is just that, one has 3g capabilities and one doesn't. Even if you don't think you'll use the 3g you will still have the option. You don't ever *need* to use the 3g capabilities; It is quite possible to ignore that function and just use wifi. It comes down to the saying that goes, "its better to have something and not need it, than to need something and not have it." Personally id shell out the extra $50 and have the extra function rather than have to spend another $300 for the 3g after I've already purchased the $250 wifi model.

I cant help you with the game side of things as I don't own a vita. I really want one but I'm waiting for a price drop or a game I really want for it. At some point I will own one though.

If you discover any cool games, please do share. I'm into pretty much the same type of games with an emphasis on RPGs.

Persona 4 is one of the few games I can think of offhand (don't have a Vita).

-Crokar-
Jan 12, 2013, 07:23 PM
i have a vita all i have for it are hot shots golf and street fighter x tekken. i havent turned it on in months

Nicktendonick
Jan 12, 2013, 08:04 PM
Remember, you have to have a At&t contract to get that 3G signal. If I remember correctly you need to add it to the list of devices you get 3G with.

-Vita has PSO2, Persona 4, Sf X T, Soul Sacrifice, PS+, all the good stuff sony has to offer, and the entire PSN library

-3DS has Soul Hacks, SMT4, Nintendo (Mario, Pokémon X+Y, Kid Icarus, etc) Monster Hunter, Resident Evil Revelations (alright it's most likely getting a HD console version), Kingdom Hearts 3D, and the entire DS library.

I was leaning towards the Vita for PSO2, but now that I got PSO2 working on this laptop and the announcement of Pokémon X and Y, it's now back to buying a 3DS XL.

In terms of modding, I think the exploits are coming. Slowly, but they are.

I'd suggest a 3DS XL. Vita is a good choice too. I'd say find the best deal, see what you want to play / what you're going to be spending a lot of time playing and purchase that. Be it a 3DS, Vita, or something totally else.

blace
Jan 12, 2013, 08:29 PM
The only real advantage the Vita has over a 3DS is cross play compatibility allowing you to play with PS3 users.

If you're going for the Vita, I would suggest looking at some of the bundles around, Assassin's Creed III Liberation bundle, Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified bundle, or Madden 2013 bundle. They come with the handheld, 4GB memory card and a game for $250.

I own a wifi model and the 3G functionality isn't reliable from messing around with.

Currently, there are a few titles that have kept my attention. Since you mentioned RPGs, Randomness also mentioned a game, Persona 4 Golden. It's a remake of the game on the PS2, but due to the larger memory capacity of the cartridge now holds more events over the original.

Fighters on the system include, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Street Fighter x Tekken, Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend, Playstation All Stars and so on. The ones I've mentioned feature cross play compatibility and can be played with other Vita players or PS3 players.

As for action probably Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Gravity Rush. If you're a PS+ member, you can download these two games free. Sega has also recently brought back some of their older games from the Dreamcast era, Jet Set Radio anyone? It's a title that's available on both PS3 and Vita.

NoiseHERO
Jan 12, 2013, 10:14 PM
not sure if it's been said in one of these chunks of text I'm too sleepy to read, but aparently 3DS was finally "hacked"

Of course that doesn't mean every kid(including me) on the block with a flashcard will have every 3DS game ever. But yeah, pirating... it's gonna happen. For any device.

.Rusty.
Jan 13, 2013, 03:21 PM
not sure if it's been said in one of these chunks of text I'm too sleepy to read, but aparently 3DS was finally "hacked"

Of course that doesn't mean every kid(including me) on the block with a flashcard will have every 3DS game ever. But yeah, pirating... it's gonna happen. For any device.

Eh I wouldn't worry about that just yet it's a software hack and the guy who found it doesn't want to share it :-? and the 3ds TOS pretty much says they will brick yo shit if they catch you messing with it.

Dualbird12
Jan 13, 2013, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I don't really care about hacking stuff though. I was reading about the 3DS also but the Vita has more of the games I like.

Xefi
Jan 14, 2013, 12:46 AM
if you do bring your Vita outside a lot, then i guess spending the extra 50 for
the 3g is a good choice for you. personally, i dont think the 3g is worth it much since
i dont really bring my Vita everywhere i go. i just use my wireless and play at home on my bed.

as for recommendation:
Blazblue - a good 2-d fighting game and it has a lot of modes to play too.

Earth Defense Force 2017 - this one just came out a few days ago. i havent play it
yet, but i heard a lot of good thing about from the people that bought it. it's like a 3rd person
shooting game with huge ANTS, robots, and spiders. ^^;

Persona 4 Golden - you cant go wrong with this game.

Ragnarok Odyssey - a pretty fun beat-em up / hack and slash..i guess. it'll last you at most 100+ hrs. of gameplay trying to farm weapons and materials.

Disgaea 3 - if you like some anime + strategy funk. this version basically have everything from the ps3 + all the DLCs.

Lumines - if you want some puzzle. pretty fun...at least for me, it was.

Hot Shot Gold - pretty easy to pick up. it's golf with some cute characters, basically.