PDA

View Full Version : Pure defense and ability mag

sandylecuistot
Jan 13, 2013, 10:42 AM
I would say the title should already make some of you laugh (even if I have some hope it won't) ^^; .
Since I can't find this information anywhere, I would like to ask for your opinion on this.

Would it be terribly useless to make a mag which this kind of balance :
"Edit (Thx Saffran forgot about 150 lvl max) :
40 ability
35 phy def
35 hit def
40 tec def"
To be precise, without anything in offense stats.
I was thinking you could not equip some weapons or just that defense stats were very far from being as efficient as offensive stats... but I don't know if I'm right.
I'm trying to figure some things out as I'm waiting to play on vita soon.

And if this mag build was completely useless, what would be good if I wanted to be quite versatile ?

Thanks !

Rien
Jan 13, 2013, 10:44 AM
Yes it is useless. You don't need that defense unless you're specifically going for certain unit sets.

And it depends entirely on what class you want to play, too.

Saffran
Jan 13, 2013, 11:24 AM
well, mags only have 150 levels so a 0/0/0/50/50/50/50 mag is impossible.

That being said, I'm using that kind of a mag.
I pondered that given the skill trees - and more precisely, the place of the base attack and base defense skills - I would spend less points leveling up the attack skills then the defense skills - if only because I have to "reach" the defense skills in the tree before leveling them.
A quick example : Techter needs to spend 12 skill points before even reaching TDef Up. (and 3 of those are in the TAtk Up, to boot!) So spending some mag levels on TDef instead of TAtk is not unreasonable.

As Rien said, the purpose of raising your base stats is to enable you to equip stuff.
Do you want the best defensive gear? the best offensive gear? both?
Now, "both" will be tricky to achieve I suppose, I made my choice to be "best defensive gear". And in that case, attack on your mag is just about useless. But you probably WILL have to compensate later on with skill points in the Atk Up skills to be able to equip better weapons.

sandylecuistot
Jan 13, 2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the answers.
So, would it be somewhat possible to equip the "high-tier" weapons, if I raise as much as possible the offensive stats with other ways than the mag (skills) ?

In fact I don't have a specific type in mind. I would like to play nearly everything (yes it must seem silly).
I read everywhere that the game is "easy", so I won't try for the "best" builds, but the most versatile one then.
To be able to change class as soon as I need.

Vintasticvin
Jan 13, 2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the answers.
So, would it be somewhat possible to equip the "high-tier" weapons, if I raise as much as possible the offensive stats with other ways than the mag (skills) ?

In fact I don't have a specific type in mind. I would like to play nearly everything (yes it must seem silly).
I read everywhere that the game is "easy", so I won't try for the "best" builds, but the most versatile one then.

Did someone just say Versaile?! I llllllike YOU :D

Rien
Jan 13, 2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the answers.

Then your best bet is to invest in all-class weapons, with cookie cutter builds. (Which tend to give the best output if you are specializing in that one class anyway)

The problem is getting to the point you can use a (viable) all-class weapon.

Also, there are no easily accessible all-class Force weapons (no wands are all-class, no mid-level all-class rod, the only good/the best all-class rod is too rare) with the exception of the Talis.

That being said, the game is only easy when you go for a straight specialization. Building a "Jack-of-all-trades" is pretty frustrating. Looking at you two, Techer and Hunter.

Edit: To further elaborate, Hunter has you either picking between offense (JA bonus 1+2, Fury Stance) and defense (Automate Halfline, Iron Will). Techer has you picking from support (territory burst, resta advance, Deband advance+cut, Shifta advance), standalone (shifta advance, element mastery of your choice) or subclass oriented (a build where Techer as a subclass for the PP regeneration bonuses, basically shifta advance, PP restorate, PP convert)

Saffran
Jan 13, 2013, 01:36 PM
To elaborate a little, I'm still trying to figure out where I will be when we hit lv55 but I will have barely enough to equip Elder Rod and never, ever enough for Psycho Wand. And also way more than necessary to equip the best magic based armors.

I will be able to equip any other item in the game though. As of now. Which means I might fall off a couple of points short when eventually harder difficulties come around and new equipment is released...

Seravi Edalborez
Jan 13, 2013, 03:12 PM
If you really wanted to build for defense, this topic is a little old but worth a read:
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202697

sandylecuistot
Jan 13, 2013, 05:49 PM
Thanks for all your answers !

THat being said, I'm thinking about the opposite.
Would a All offense mag possible ?
Something like :
35 ability
40 phy atk
40 hit atk
35 tec atk
Would it be a better solution ? As useless as the other ?
I can plan a little, but for the mag It's too difficult for me to only chose one route (physical, or magic or...)

Blundy
Jan 13, 2013, 09:57 PM
theres nothing intrinsically wrong with ability mags, but you should pick 1 defense to raise alongside it rather than all of them.

you may have to depend on stat ups in class trees to more quickly equip stronger weapons, yes, but you will have a mag that is always useful to any class.

Rien
Jan 13, 2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks for all your answers !

THat being said, I'm thinking about the opposite.
Would a All offense mag possible ?
Something like :
35 ability
40 phy atk
40 hit atk
35 tec atk
Would it be a better solution ? As useless as the other ?
I can plan a little, but for the mag It's too difficult for me to only chose one route (physical, or magic or...)

Yes and no.

You're only thinking of distributing mag stats. The idea behind PSO2 mags is to gain the stats required to equip desired weapons. You have to work out your race and gender stats first, then from there calculate how much stats you need extra in order to equip the weapon.

edit: Don't forget to include skills from your skill build (like fighter builds because you usually put the extra points in s attack up 1)

sandylecuistot
Jan 14, 2013, 07:26 AM
I see. The 3 different defense are confusing. I have trouble to imagine what kind of attack I would eat the most...

I think I will see on the japanese wiki if I can find the max stats and some of the best gears's to see the gap between them.

Saffran
Jan 14, 2013, 08:46 AM
Just use the skill tree simulator, it has an inbuilt stats simulator in the top corner.
http://ryuhiroshi.ry.funpic.de/pso2/skillcalc.html

Right now the values to remember are:
(Edited values)
700 TAtk for Psycho Wand - next one is Elder Rod, needs "only" 580.
600 SAtk for Fal Claw - 580 is enough to equip most of the 9 and 10 stars.
600 RAtk for Flame Visit - 580 is enough for most other weapons.
566 SDef (Zan series, unreleased yet but datamined) - "only" 489 are needed for the Ragne set which is quite popular
497 RDef (some beta unit, we can bet gamma will be released later...) - "only" 489 are needed for the Big Varda set
489 TDef (Throat? Slaught? series)
400 ATA (aka Dex aka Ability) Elder Units

sandylecuistot
Jan 14, 2013, 09:46 AM
I must thank you as much as I can. This post proved me exactly the perfect information I need.
Here's a hug for you > .... > done :D .
I'm in your debt.

700 Tech atk... woo...
Without some point in T atk for the mag it's impossible to have this much even with all the bonuses from Force + Techer.
That's the Psycho wand indeed :p .

Coatl
Jan 14, 2013, 11:13 AM
That's the Psycho wand indeed :p .

The psychowand is the only weapon that's been in every Phantasy Star game released, and it's never been easy to obtain. ^^

As for your defensive build, there are a few weapons that require a defensive stat to equip, most particularly the shiny stone *10s which are all-class as well.
Are you planning to go full defensive or are you hoping to deal some damage as well? Hu as a class is an offensive tank already, and it is perfectly possible for you to be tanky and still deal decent dps along with being a good support.

sandylecuistot
Jan 14, 2013, 03:25 PM
In fact I absolutely don't know.
I'm the kind of person who don't really like "build".
It completely closes freedom when there are too much useless things.

I just try to gather lots of informations to have a global idea.
With your reactions as well as Saffran's link, I think It will be much easier.

Rien
Jan 14, 2013, 09:38 PM
566 SDef (Zan series, unreleased yet but datamined) - "only" 489 are needed for the Ragne set which is quite popular

Zan series is out already.. It's dropped by darker den exclusive mobs, making it near impossible to actually obtain.

Saffran
Jan 15, 2013, 06:08 AM
Oh really? The japanese Wiki saiid 未実装. Ah well, so much for that then.

I guess i should TA more and level up less...

>I'm the kind of person who don't really like "build".
This.
I don't either.
If you haven't started yet, wait until we know the stats at level 55.
If you did start already, don't raise your mag.
I mean, if you're going to buy several mags and several skill trees, you might as well go for the special type builds, but if you want to touch everything?

Z-0
Jan 15, 2013, 08:29 AM
Zan series is out already.. It's dropped by darker den exclusive mobs, making it near impossible to actually obtain.

No, Zan series of units drop from the clone codes. They're not impossible to obtain, just rare.

sandylecuistot
Jan 15, 2013, 08:33 AM
Since I screwed up the vita beta (which anyway delete you data afterward), I will only begin in February...
I see your point, but what if they add even better weapons which needs even more stat points ?

I should even be able to make other characters by switching for an other psn ID I guess, in the worst case. Don't know if it's possible, should be...