PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 So how's fighter/Ranger?

Darki
Jan 16, 2013, 03:43 AM
Hey there! I hope I can get some imput on this, because I'm not much in any of these classes and I wanna try them out.

As a little backstory, I created my male CAST based on a character I had in PSU as a Protranser. I don't really like pure ranged classes, but in this game they seem interesting enough, so I wanna give them a try. My main is a FO/HU, so I though of going FI/RA or viceversa to avoid repeating classes, and I put FI as main because of having a more decent set of class free ranger weapons in the pyroxene (or however is spelled) shop.

My plan is basically to go with knuckles, doubles, rifle and launcher. Ideally, I'd like to get traps too, but it seems like a really bad idea in this game... <_< So what do you recommend with this combination?

Coatl
Jan 16, 2013, 10:40 AM
Uh. There's no synergy besides with weak bullet really. :s

Atyl
Jan 16, 2013, 11:19 AM
Weak Hit only applies to bullet attacks. The all class weapons usable by the opposite class are slim pickings. If you really want to play a ranged class with good melee options I'd try RA/HU for now. If that isn't an option because of repeats you could try RA/FI, though the all class weapons are bad or expensive.

Edit: Well at the very least you'd have probably the best/2nd best gunslash user as RA/FI. Swapping your classes around to FI/FO and RA/HU would probably be more effective if you wanted a melee+caster and a range+melee.

Lumpen Thingy
Jan 16, 2013, 11:33 AM
go ra/fi+get the good all class ds and twin dagger+max standing snipe 1 and 2 for launchers rifles and additional bullet to be supper op=profit

Darki
Jan 16, 2013, 03:20 PM
Weak Hit only applies to bullet attacks. The all class weapons usable by the opposite class are slim pickings. If you really want to play a ranged class with good melee options I'd try RA/HU for now. If that isn't an option because of repeats you could try RA/FI, though the all class weapons are bad or expensive.

Would the deal be so bad at high levels using the Pyroxene shop weapons? The thing is that you got there both RA weapons while there's only one FI weapon, so it seems more useful for me to go FI/RA, not RA/FI.

Edit: Well at the very least you'd have probably the best/2nd best gunslash user as RA/FI. Swapping your classes around to FI/FO and RA/HU would probably be more effective if you wanted a melee+caster and a range+melee.

I wouldn't change my FO/HU, to be honest, is my favorite combination in this game and I've spent a good deal of effort and money to bring my main to a good state.

Also, I don't really see that much better synergy between HU and RA than FI and RA. Both classes' stance skills affect both melee and ranged damage, but if we're talking about available class-free weapons to use for the subclass, either Pyroxene shop ranged weapons or Lambda Alystein-like melee set seem like good choices to me.

Seravi Edalborez
Jan 16, 2013, 07:00 PM
The synergy problem with Ranger as a sub to everything that isn't Gunner:

It's only Weak Bullet. Literally. Gloam Rain and Craft Procyon (Pyroxene ranged weapons) are not that good*, are a royal pain to grind, and you're going to need to max one R-DEF Up on RA tree to be able to equip as male Cast FI/RA (not that RA has much else to spend on). Brave/Wise will only cover so much of the damage falloff, and I don't see them helping much for situations where you would think to use ranged weapons on Fighter.

*"Not that good" meaning, Lambda all-class Hunter weapons basically make every other all-class weapons look inferior.

Weak Bullet only lasts so long, so you're either using your extra shots with Rifle PAs (and waiting for PP to regenerate because WB replaces normal shot) or you just get the one WB per cooldown to use on going nuts with Fighter weapons. Launcher will be significantly less effective, only seeing use against extremely large groups of enemies or as fast travel with Rodeo Drive (unnecessary because Step and knuckledashing are PP-free fast ways of moving).

You would be much better off sticking to Striking or Ranged rather than trying to do both. RA/FI or RA/HU can do good with Gunslash but that's still mostly focused on the shooting part of the weapon.

And traps... not worth it. Poison and Stun take a ton of points down the wrong side of the tree to even invest into, and Upper Trap (which I sadly have) isn't impressive. The limit of 10 each in your inventory, a ~2 second can't-move deploying animation, then a ~3 second delay before you can remote detonate (because triggering on its own is unreliable) = anything worth using it on is either dead or moved.

Edit: Fighter/Gunner is a different story, since you're getting something out of Gunner's passives (mainly Attack PP Restorate, which makes Double Sabers gain an absurd amount of PP).

gigawuts
Jan 16, 2013, 07:52 PM
If standing snipe worked for melee we'd be onto something, but alas.

I find fi/ra worse than te/gu, on paper anyway. They're just completely wrong for eachother.

Maybe if grenades were better fleshed out too.

Magus_84
Jan 16, 2013, 10:48 PM
If standing snipe worked for melee we'd be onto something, but alas.

I find fi/ra worse than te/gu, on paper anyway. They're just completely wrong for eachother.

Maybe if grenades were better fleshed out too.

I wish Standing Snipe and Weak Hit Advance worked with techs. That'd be awesome (and probably hilariously OP).

UnLucky
Jan 16, 2013, 11:42 PM
30% + (*??) 50% = damnnnn

If only, hey? RIP RA sub

tentionfree
Jan 17, 2013, 07:14 AM
There's no synergy besides with weak bullet really.

:D:-?:-D

Darki
Jan 17, 2013, 08:07 AM
Hmm I guess then I should just go with GU/RA and get done with it (whih saves me some time since the character is just level 20 RA, everything else is lv1). In the future I guess I might explore the possiblity of swapping classes around on my main, as I got both FI and TE unlocked for her already.

Fortunately twin mechs are very melee'ish so I shouldn't get too bored.

TheAstarion
Jan 18, 2013, 09:35 AM
FIRA needs more stats to use either the pyroxene guns or the lambda schvann, but bouquet rifles are fine. Using RA's poison traps and grenades, if you went for a fun general spread, enables FI's chase advance and chase bind. Chase advance is 40% extra damage at lv10 against any status's enemies, and chase bind is 20% chance at lv1, 70% chance at lv10 to stun status's (but not stunned so stun grenade isn't the smartest option) enemies.

Chase Advance has mixed responses though. On paper it's good, but in practice as soon as you status something it's half dead already.

Fighter's Brave and Wise stance are good for ranged damage as much as anything else, and have no stat disadvantages unlike hunter. However, hunter gives just as much bang for your buck if you invest in JA bonuses without the need to be always switching stances depending on what body part you're attacking.

RAFI gets an alright doublesaber in the fossil victor and a decent twin dagger in nishiki but no decent knuckle. RAHU gets all 3 lambda HU weapons, most of which are reasonably cheap. I'd go FIRA myself, because knuckles and launchers and bombs make me feel more like a Protranser than the hunter weapons... plus it'd be nice for someone to use chase bind for a change, which I will when I have enough points on my droid.

Seravi Edalborez
Jan 18, 2013, 04:05 PM
It's much more practical to just put a status effect on your weapon than to rely on Poison Trap for Chase Advance.

Syklo
Jan 18, 2013, 08:54 PM
Not to mention chase bonuses only apply to striking attacks (according to description)

ShinMaruku
Jan 18, 2013, 09:52 PM
Sometimes weak bullet is all you need. Go ham.