PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 JP help!

Bryanpt3
Jan 17, 2013, 02:46 PM
I really am lost after the installation as far as playing my only experiance is with a few years on PSU so im lost in a jap world. I was wondering if its worthing playing and learning in JP or wait until the west release!

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 17, 2013, 03:36 PM
Wrong sub forum.

Short response: big english speaking community on ship 2. there's a patch that switches all the menus to english.

it's a small adjustment, not that bad. I'm glad I did it.

ashley50
Jan 17, 2013, 03:37 PM
Wait for the NA/EU release so you can read it.

Bryanpt3
Jan 17, 2013, 04:02 PM
So if i change the menus and find english speaking ppl il be fine until US release right?

Seany1990
Jan 17, 2013, 04:05 PM
Calling the Japanese a "Jap" is frowned upon here because it can be deemed offensive.

Bryanpt3
Jan 17, 2013, 04:09 PM
Ehh. I Apologize where I'm from is its a shortened term... :(

Seravi Edalborez
Jan 17, 2013, 04:18 PM
So if i change the menus and find english speaking ppl il be fine until US release right?

Not everything will be translated by the patch. It will help to have certain resources bookmarked until you get muscle memory for most menus and common items.

http://cirnopedia.frostsabre.com/
http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-guide-list/

Having a katakana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katakana) chart will help greatly as most names, weapons, abilites, etc are in katakana and it's a relatively simple character set as opposed to hiragana and kanji.

Bryanpt3
Jan 17, 2013, 04:31 PM
damn this should complicated with the patch will i be able to find certain places and have general typing communication?

Seravi Edalborez
Jan 17, 2013, 04:59 PM
I'm assuming you're already installed and playing?

Just play. You will learn as you go. There are popups with pictures, NPCs will have icons over their heads if they have something important for you. Most things are intuitive. You won't be expected to learn Japanese overnight. JP don't chat much even among themselves. You won't be chatting much if you're out playing and killing things. There's no need.

If you have short questions, there's a quick questions sticky in PSO2 General.

Bryanpt3
Jan 17, 2013, 05:07 PM
i havent yet finished installing i have 2 hours and 11 minuts till im done and i guess il learn as i go and talk with my team mates if i get some

blace
Jan 17, 2013, 05:20 PM
You'll find people to play with, don't be afraid of the Japanese either. They're all rather helpful and may try to communicate with you despite the barrier. The alternative would be to hand around block 20 on ship 2 with smaller english communities on ships 8 and 10.

As for teams, you'll want to look around in the player matchup subforum, some of the teams around aren't exactly too friendly to new users or are on the competitive edge.

Learn as you go, the patch provides basic translations such as menu interface, enemy names, abilities and so on. Weapons, armor, story text, some character text isn't translated, either the files are too large or they're server sided.

Bryanpt3
Jan 17, 2013, 05:33 PM
damn weapons arnt :/

Syklo
Jan 17, 2013, 07:56 PM
Not to mention, by install do you mean just the setup?

Well not to break your bubble but you still got another 5.6gb of patch data to download after that if that's the case.

Bryanpt3
Jan 17, 2013, 08:05 PM
... i just figured this out........ well i guess il chat on the fourms some more and play it after school tomorrow

Bryanpt3
Jan 17, 2013, 11:12 PM
Wrong sub forum.

Short response: big english speaking community on ship 2. there's a patch that switches all the menus to english.

it's a small adjustment, not that bad. I'm glad I did it.

is theirs a certain patch to get or what im confused

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 17, 2013, 11:23 PM
there's an unoffical patch that we are not allowed to link to or discuss in depth here that you apply after installing the game. sega does not support it and it is possible, however unlikely that they will ban you if they catch you using it because it violates the ToS. However it doesn't adversely affect the game or players in any way and makes playing the game much easier if you can't read Japanese.

many people here use it without any issues but if you want it, you'll have to google it

ArcaneTechs
Jan 17, 2013, 11:33 PM
Ehh. I Apologize where I'm from is its a shortened term... :(

its not a shortened term more like a slang word since WWII (maybe even earlier) for JP people, still offensive and idk it just bugs the crap out of me when i hear people say it, just typical stereotypes when it comes to americans or even when other countries do the same to us, just something people should stop doing or saying that wont ever stop.

anyways aside from that, go to block 20 on ship, good amount of English players there and scattered about the other blocks. Im sure there are people there that are willing to help you out if need be.

Bryanpt3
Jan 17, 2013, 11:48 PM
its not a shortened term more like a slang word since WWII (maybe even earlier) for JP people, still offensive and idk it just bugs the crap out of me when i hear people say it, just typical stereotypes when it comes to americans or even when other countries do the same to us, just something people should stop doing or saying that wont ever stop.

anyways aside from that, go to block 20 on ship, good amount of English players there and scattered about the other blocks. Im sure there are people there that are willing to help you out if need be.

theres alot of slang words that need to be stoped and im having trouble signing in :/ i have the game but i dont remember my sega id user name and i cant make another one cus of the captcha

Syklo
Jan 17, 2013, 11:51 PM
theres alot of slang words that need to be stoped and im having trouble signing in :/ i have the game but i dont remember my sega id user name and i cant make another one cus of the captcha
Refer to the sticky. It has resources to help you on captcha.
Also, did you assign your SEGA ID to the pso2 service when you registered/created an ID?

Bryanpt3
Jan 17, 2013, 11:53 PM
i made a jp sega id about 1 months or so ago but i dont remember the id
i dont know if i registered it i made the id off the pso2 site

Syklo
Jan 17, 2013, 11:55 PM
Ouch. But making another one shouldn't hurt so much since you've made 0 progress :P

After going through ID creation process there should've been a button that lead you to a page with a bunch of links. That's the place where you assign the services to your ID.

Bryanpt3
Jan 17, 2013, 11:57 PM
nvm i figured it out :) even though i forgot it agian lol but i need help with the patch now :/

Bryanpt3
Jan 17, 2013, 11:59 PM
i got errors when following directions

Syklo
Jan 18, 2013, 12:18 AM
I don't think we're allowed to discuss that sort of thing here :(

Bryanpt3
Jan 18, 2013, 12:24 AM
yea nvm il drop it but im sure u can tell me how long this crazy tutorial is in the start of the game >.<

Bryanpt3
Jan 18, 2013, 12:32 AM
how do i go to a diff block >.<

Seravi Edalborez
Jan 18, 2013, 12:32 AM
The green elevators.

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 18, 2013, 02:18 AM

Not like I'm trying to argue with this, but the only reason it's derogatory is because of that WWII connotation. I could see if he was calling the people "Japs" that it could be deemed offensive, but 16 years ago when SNES games were getting translation patches one of the biggest groups was calling themselves "dejap". It's an older term that the community dropped to be PC, but I never looked at it (in that context) as a racist term. Realistically, it's just the first three letters in the name of a country that isn't even the ACTUAL name of the country. The japanese don't speak japanese - they speak friggin nihongo, they don't live in japan, they live in Nippon and oh yeah they're NOT JAPANESE! THEY'RE NIHONJIN

So if we're going to start nitpicking and telling people what is and isn't appropriate shorthand, Why are we stopping there? "Japan" is a name that westerners gave the continent because they couldn't pronounce the damned word that the Chinese (who are actually not Chinese, thank Marco Polo for that) used in the Wu dialect when talking about their neighbors. The fact is, that even calling them Japanese should be considered a slight if we're really going to get down to it.

I mean I'm not saying we should be free to say things that people find openly offensive, but once we start drawing lines, where do we stop?

Syklo
Jan 18, 2013, 02:22 AM
'Tis how langauge changes, my friend (are you?).
Some people deem the term offensive, others don't. It is censored in the game though so offensive by default, i guess?

What you say wouldn't really matter, the context does though.
Enough of debating over language. I believe this thread has been completed.

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 18, 2013, 02:36 AM
Some people deem the term offensive, others don't. It is censored in the game though so offensive by default, i guess?

What you say wouldn't really matter, the context does though.
Enough of debating over language. I believe this thread has been completed.

...Am I what?

How many words that are completely harmless on their own are censored?

you know how many times I could have a conversation with someone that would easily be deemed suitable for a toddler but would be riddled with asterisks, exclamation points and at symbols when passing through PSO2's filter?

Sega's got a list a mile long of words and terms that COULD be used in an offensive manner if they were intended to be and yet are otherwise deemed fit for every day conversation.

You know in classic PSO my friends and I had a game where we'd try to find out all the words that would trip the censors. I can't really remember any of them now because it was so long ago but I remember "SHOES" was a banned word because it contained "hoe"

Anyway a lot of words are on that list so that SOMEONE doesn't sue them.

EDIT:

What you call "evolution of language" others might call "typical western defensive response to their subjugation of an entire culture"

Syklo
Jan 18, 2013, 04:22 AM
(A list of very good points)

I really hope that wasn't attacking my post that expresses what I think.
Who knows, some day the F-word will be sooooooo common that it won't even seem insulting anymore (it's happened to previous insults).

And i kinda lol'd at your edit......would that be deemed offensive?

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 19, 2013, 02:18 AM
All I'm saying is we're quick to tell others they're wrong or using offensive language without having any knowledge of the words they use. Language is something that is constantly used to control thought and it's seldom that people even question the very language they use from day to day.

My edit was simply saying that your comment could be seen as dismissing the very issue I brought up. which is that the name we use for that country is not the name the very people who live there use nor has it ever been. it's a westernization of a lost dialect that itself was not of that country. The pseudonym we commonly use "land of the rising sun" is actually a adaptation of the name the founders gave the country. Japan is nothing, it means nothing. it carries the same weight that "India" did when columbus came to America and thought he'd been going east the whole time. Japan literally is a misappropriation of the name the Wu used for Nippon, yet due to western colonization spreading over most of the world, the name stuck and the Nihonjin were called Japanese. They still call their land Nippon/Nihon though and it's just silly that anyone should be insulted by someone truncating a made-up name for the sake of simple shorthand.

Really we get caught up in our own bullshit so much at times. All I'm saying is as a people I'd be just as offended at being called japanese as I would be jap and if we're really going to start drawing lines like that, lets draw them properly and refrain from calling them by names made up out of laziness.

Language is so powerful and there's so much about our language that we gloss over, yet there's so much tucked away and unquestioned even when our very language has a dark side to it that strips whole countries of their culture.

For the record I dont care if you call them japanese or not. My by closest and dearest friend is half Japanese and grew up there for almost half her life. Do you know how much of your pride you have to swallow when you can't even protest that the very name of your place of birth, the language you speak and the culture you grew up in is almost a lost relic due to laziness of international traders? You can't even say where you come from with pride because hardly anyone has the slightest idea that the word we're all using was made up by outsiders out of convenience and THAT's what everyone uses instead of the name your ancestors gave your home?

Anyway we're jumping on the wrong thing and I tend to feel like the PC stuff is all a big attempt at misdirection that we buy into.

and am I what?

Seravi Edalborez
Jan 19, 2013, 02:36 AM
and am I what?

/5char

Syklo
Jan 19, 2013, 02:38 AM
Really we get caught up in our own bullshit so much sometimes.

Lets leave it at this. We could probably go on and on and on (like right now, this very post) meaninglessly, because, imo, it won't change anything that we're discussing.
How is this not closed yet?

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 19, 2013, 02:49 AM
/5char

lol well I thought that was what he meant but I mean...who asks that?

"are you my friend?"

Like...o_O

Lets leave it at this. We could probably go on and on and on (like right now, this very post) meaninglessly, because, imo, it won't change anything that we're discussing.
How is this not closed yet?

Change comes through observation as much as necessity. we cease to evolve if we brush things off and shut ourselves in. Talking about it brings it to the surface and if even one person has a new thought from this little exchange, imo it was worth it.

Anyway feel free to not respond. The thread will only get bumped and beg another reply if you respond. So if you really want it to die, it's better to dismiss it as you have wanted than to empower what I'm saying, no?