PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to fix a speaker issue?

McLaughlin
Jan 19, 2013, 06:01 PM
I woke up this morning, pulled my computer out of sleep mode, and lo and behold, my speakers were suddenly not working. I tried restarting my PC, disabling and re-enabling my speakers, and uninstalling/re-installing my speaker drivers. Nada. They were working fine last night.

At this point I'm thinking my sound card is probably shot, but I figured I'd see if any audiophiles here want to suggest any more trouble shooting options. Having never replaced a sound card before I'm a bit reluctant to go to Best buy in the morning and buy one, especially if it isn't even the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

CelestialBlade
Jan 19, 2013, 06:21 PM
Try the speakers in another device. I think it's either Windows or your sound card personally, but at least narrow that down.

Sound cards are pretty easy to deal with, just pop em in a PCI slot and load your drivers. I have an extreme hatred of sleep mode so I'm even reluctant to call it hardware, but I doubt it's your speakers.

Go over your audio settings too. Windows sleep mode does some weird, weird shit in my experience.

McLaughlin
Jan 20, 2013, 01:47 AM
Ah, when I say it was sleeping, I just mean that I left it on overnight. I don't think it actually hibernates. My monitors just shut off.

I plugged my speakers into my laptop and they worked. I also fumbled around in the Sound control panel thing. My speakers were enabled and set as the default output device. I tried messing with the Speaker Balance as well but no sound came out regardless of what I did. I don't have an HDMI cable to connect my monitors with (they both use DVI) so I couldn't try using my monitor speakers.

I'm reasonably confident my sound card is an integrated one, if it makes any difference.

Seany1990
Jan 20, 2013, 08:59 AM
You have restarted the computer at some point right?

CelestialBlade
Jan 20, 2013, 12:24 PM
Ah, when I say it was sleeping, I just mean that I left it on overnight. I don't think it actually hibernates. My monitors just shut off.

I plugged my speakers into my laptop and they worked. I also fumbled around in the Sound control panel thing. My speakers were enabled and set as the default output device. I tried messing with the Speaker Balance as well but no sound came out regardless of what I did. I don't have an HDMI cable to connect my monitors with (they both use DVI) so I couldn't try using my monitor speakers.

I'm reasonably confident my sound card is an integrated one, if it makes any difference.
Had a feeling it was integrated. A PCI sound card won't run you much, so that's probably what you're looking at now since your speakers are clearly fine and your sound settings don't seem unusual.

Nitro Vordex
Jan 21, 2013, 05:26 PM
Try another pair in your computer, or your headphones.

andrewall
Feb 20, 2013, 10:01 AM
There might be some connection problems or the port has damaged.Check this one too.