PDA

View Full Version : Resists vs Defence

Syklo
Jan 20, 2013, 01:18 AM
So I've been getting into a lot of affixing lately for units now but there're a few things I'm not certain about.

Do blow/mind/shot resists work by adding +X% to the respective attack resistance (So for instance, 3% less S-atk damage).
How is ALL RESIST produced/obtained outside excube shops? (Just wondering, it's most likely better to just get mind resist for elemental resistances though, imo.)
Would blow resist III be more optimal than Body III? < Main question.

And would I be better off getting stamina/spirita instead...?
15% less (striking) damage sounds nice, but I'm not sure if it's worth getting.

Seravi Edalborez
Jan 20, 2013, 01:22 AM
How is ALL RESIST produced/obtained outside excube shops? (Just wondering, it's most likely better to just get mind resist for elemental resistances though, imo.)

Flame/Ice/Shock/Wind/Light/Gloom resist all in the same unit, at least that's what I'm assuming. Similar to how you make Ability (All atks + all defenses + Arm).

Saffran
Jan 20, 2013, 08:27 AM
Erm, no.
You make ability with either "Power+Shoot+Technique" or with "Body+React+Mind". Only up to AbilityIII (doesn't work with IV units)
As for All Resist, they are impossible to create right now. The Wiki indicates the existence of All resist affixes in the matter board though.

As for resists in general, some tests done rather recently show that the Blow resist effect is not implemented. I haven't seen any tests for Shot Resist nor Mind Resist.
Also, you can't get any higher than Mind Resist 1.

It is assumed, however, that just like "Panic" and "Mirage", these effects will be implemented at a later stage. (And incidentally, people have been reporting this issue to SEGA, so we might see some change to this rater soon)

Soultrigger
Jan 20, 2013, 02:45 PM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/seventhlimit/pso20121119_040615_002.jpg

Fun fact: you can't upgrade Mind Resist. EDIT: Saffran beat me to it.

To answer OP, most attacks from enemies are SATK, so Body/Blow Resist would be ideal if you were really going for tanking. However, HP is "universal", so in theory it's better because it accounts for everything.

Syklo
Jan 20, 2013, 05:35 PM
As for resists in general, some tests done rather recently show that the Blow resist effect is not implemented. I haven't seen any tests for Shot Resist nor Mind Resist.
Also, you can't get any higher than Mind Resist 1.

It is assumed, however, that just like "Panic" and "Mirage", these effects will be implemented at a later stage. (And incidentally, people have been reporting this issue to SEGA, so we might see some change to this rater soon)

Wait, what's wrong with mirage and panic? They work perfectly fine ._.
But panic never drops....so that's one problem, but mirage is stilll perfectly fine...
Those resists don't actually work? Interesting.
Mind resist...what a troll.

I guesss i'll just go for stamina or something then; that 50hp boost is definitely better than 5% damage reduction I reckon...

Thanks for the help guys, this will really help me clean out my storage :|

MetalDude
Jan 20, 2013, 05:38 PM
I just don't get what the point of damage resistance is when we already have defense stats.

Syklo
Jan 20, 2013, 05:53 PM
What i was asking before was if 30 S-def would do more than lowering all incoming S-atk damage by 5%.
What you're saying is kinda like why do we have elemental resistances when we have t-def

MetalDude
Jan 20, 2013, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I'm not really sure I get the difference especially since it's a straight value. Or at least I'm pretty sure it's a value and not a %.

Saffran
Jan 21, 2013, 01:29 AM
Mirage and Panic used to not be implemented. In the times where the wind magic was not implemented yet, you could find Mirage and Panic on affixes, but they would never work.
It is believed the same problem is happening with blow resist.

Syklo
Jan 21, 2013, 02:14 AM
Ah.

That kinda makes sense....but deband cut kinda does the same thing?
Meh.

Valimer
Jan 21, 2013, 03:06 AM
I just don't get what the point of damage resistance is when we already have defense stats.

Maybe you might want to switch out all your units to units with fire resist right before fighting Vol Dragon or something

Acel
Jan 21, 2013, 03:15 AM
I thought the resists helps with the status effects or something, cos when I had 0% cold resist, I would often get frozen by King Eddy's 3-way snowball. But when I had 10% cold resist it almost never ever happen...

Meji
Jan 21, 2013, 04:46 AM
I think the resistance would be awesome combined with the Hunters "Flash Guard" skills. I've done some research regarding this, and 2 fully maxed Flash Guards (40% in total) did reduce the amount of damage taken more than Guard Stance LV10 + Guard Stance Up LV10 + Guard Stance ability from Lambda Aristin (+30 S-DEF) all together.
Combine these already 40% with another 15% from the units (with Blow Resist III), and you'll be quite the tank.
I think these skills only will govern towards end game though.

Syklo
Jan 21, 2013, 06:53 AM
Didn't someone else's experiments suggest the flash guard boosts were multiplied onto each other in a fractional way?
i.e. 20% reduction each, so 0.8*0.8=0.64, leads to 36% less damage.