PDA

View Full Version : Boring...

brian3000
Jan 20, 2013, 01:19 AM
Is it me or does it seem like for the past months PSO2 has been really dull and boring lately?

MetalDude
Jan 20, 2013, 01:49 AM
It's the lack of a new area. We may or may not be getting a new area with the Vita release in late February and I honestly hope so.

Xaeris
Jan 20, 2013, 01:51 AM
I'm still enjoying myself, but given the content of that past few weeks' worth of updates, I can see how you might be bored. You can always take a break and come back when they release something worthwhile.

Reiketsu
Jan 20, 2013, 08:08 AM
No, it's not just you...
There really isn't much stuff to do right now or rather, everything you can do gets boring fast.
They really need to give us at least more variety in areas and please no more content that's only randomly available... ;_;"
(still haven't been abducted and still haven't seen a paraverse and I most likely won't see any of those two any time soon, because I don't have the time to spend hours on doing TAs)

Agitated_AT
Jan 20, 2013, 08:11 AM
What is new content supposed to fix about the boredom anyway? New areas stay fresh for only a couple of runs in my experience.

Basically the issue lie way deeper. I think there's more to it and more of you should realize that instead of thinking that content is the only thing that will address the boredom.

Sebastian & PSO
Jan 20, 2013, 08:13 AM
I agree completely with Reiketsu, I absolutely hate the idea of 'random' events. It's unfair for players who don't have the time to invest playing for hours for something like the abudction to happen. Not to mention finding a team to do TA's with is a difficult task in itself.

I also haven't experienced a paraverse area or abuction and iv'e clocked almost 200 hours on my character.

They need to create bigger and longer area's that have a proper area 1, 2 and 3. Not area's that you can run through in a few minutes and reach the boss. There's no sense of exploration, it actually sucks.

And I'm sick of them switching the bosses between each map, that doesn't make it more interesting, it's the same boss in a new area. Big deal.

@Agitated why don't you suggest what would make it less boring and more interesting if it 'lies deeper' than new maps, instead of just yelling at everyone.

BIG OLAF
Jan 20, 2013, 08:19 AM
I think there's more to it and more of you should realize that instead of thinking that content is the only thing that will address the boredom.

Pray tell.

Agitated_AT
Jan 20, 2013, 08:21 AM
Pray tell.

What keeps repetitive games fresh in general?(think about other genres like beat em ups, shoot em ups or even action games like bayonetta)

@Agitated why don't you suggest what would make it less boring and more interesting if it 'lies deeper' than new maps, instead of just yelling at everyone.

I'm not yelling

ReaperTheAbsol
Jan 20, 2013, 08:22 AM
You can always try changing how you play the game while you wait for a content update. Join a team if you haven't already, try out another class, set challenges for yourself (not getting hit during boss battles, soloing bosses, etc.) or anything else you can think of. Taking a break is also plausible. The content might be more appealing in that case (having taken a break from it), but of course results may vary between person to person.

Z-0
Jan 20, 2013, 08:28 AM
Game doesn't last.

That's the problem. It's fun for the first few hundred hours (or less), but after a while everything feels the same, everything feels continuously repetitive and there's nothing you can do about it.

I actually hardly know anyone who isn't bored with this game right now, since we're somehow expected to be able to play for 3 months with what we have.

It's funny because PSO1 V1 lasted longer than this for most people, and that only had 4 maps, but there was always something to hunt, something to do, something to try. Do I miss linear quests... Running through gauntlets made by the human hand is generally far more exciting than something random (Darker's Den, hello).

Seany1990
Jan 20, 2013, 08:53 AM
It's funny because PSO1 V1 lasted longer than this for most people, and that only had 4 maps, but there was always something to hunt, something to do, something to try. Do I miss linear quests... Running through gauntlets made by the human hand is generally far more exciting than something random (Darker's Den, hello).

It was also more fresh, the ideas given in PSO2 have been done before and done better

Ifrian-x
Jan 20, 2013, 09:40 AM
To me, the worst flaw this game has is it´s community, and this is not exclusive to PSO2 but pretty much any modern MMO.

I really have a hard time to express this with words, but the PSO DC/GC community was something really special and that i have never found in any other game.

The bonds i have crafted with at least a dozen persons from PSO have lasted me this entire decade and will probably do so till the day i die.

And this is not because of "luck" or because of "circumstances" but simply because the people that played PSO were so open, friendly and willing to play and chat with anyone that willed so, that made it very easy to befriend and have fun with them.

Nowadays, everyone seems to be so goal focused and contempt in just playing with their closed circle of friends, that i have found it almost impossible to even have a decent chat with anyone on PSO2 that is not a psow/psogc veteran.

The Walrus
Jan 20, 2013, 09:42 AM
Sure the community thing isn't just cause you're on the JP server? US will probably be more talkative

Ifrian-x
Jan 20, 2013, 09:48 AM
In the lobby we all play there´s pretty much just US/EU players so i doubt that is the case.
Plus it already happened on PSU and other mmo´s.

I just find this new gaming communities sterile and cold and just focused on raiding/finding new gear/ leveling/completing quests.

Where´s those 5 hours long late night chats?
Where is the drama?
Where is those lobbies full of people just chilling after a long, hard day of work?

It´s all gone

NoiseHERO
Jan 20, 2013, 09:51 AM
In the lobby we all play there´s pretty much just US/EU players so i doubt that is the case.
Plus it already happened on PSU and other mmo´s.

I just find this new gaming communities sterile and cold.

The internet's changed in 13 years in neutral but unappealing self explanatory ways I don't feel like explaining.

Where´s those 5 hours long late night chats?
Where is the drama?
Where is those lobbies full of people just chilling after a long, hard day of work?

It´s all gone

Oh and this is still a thing.

Just within' cliques now.

sandylecuistot
Jan 20, 2013, 10:06 AM
Some people also have problems with selfishness (not especially on this thread)
There are some people who like a precise feature and others who don't.

I could name any example.
I personaly like the idea of free fields, especially if I can chose to have multi party available or not, but some people would only like to see "always the same" missions.
In what way, free field or missions, would be better than the other ?
I'm not trying to be insulting or mean or anything, just that first, nobody asked for non japanese players to actually play the game (even if the same critics must have been done by some of them), the game does not even have 1 year.
And as much as Arkz cash is present or no, the game is free to play, with most of the update (fashion excepted) being avaiable.

I can understand some arguments, like the abduction thing forcing the player to do time attack mission (even if it is said that some players has been playing the quest without doing TA), but I don't think sega will ONLY give updates that need players to precisely do 6-7 same quests to access the content. As this "clone"system appears to me as a bonus, it's not that bad.
Plus I don't see this (new ?) zone remain only available with the abduction system.

If one don't like the game's systems, then does not play at all.
The other solution is just, as some of you said, to wait for several updates and come again :) .

Play and have fun, if you don't, do something else, that's all.
I'm not even a PSO2 player yet, but that's what I do on any game. If it's boring, I stop to play.
The vita beta gave me the feeling that I'd love the free field, with the emergency codes, the not too large "runs" (in the forest at least) and so on.
I guess it's a matter of taste.
Like there are a lot of people who love Monster Hunter. I don't.

Saffran
Jan 20, 2013, 10:19 AM
What keeps repetitive games fresh in general?(think about other genres like beat em ups, shoot em ups or even action games like bayonetta)

I'm not yelling

Stop beating around the bush and TALK.

(I find the game excellent and absolutely not boring, I'm just here to understand what is wrong with you people)

sandylecuistot
Jan 20, 2013, 10:26 AM
@Saffran Seems like we have some a lot in common.
I'm pretty sure I won't get bored like this when I'll finally play the game.

Kous
Jan 20, 2013, 10:48 AM
I stopped playing like awhile ago, I think I had a Ranger lv 44 and Gunner lv 44, but anywho.

I stopped playing because it got boring to me. Like most of the time I was farming and Grinding. I mean doing the same field over and over again can get boring, but i doubt thats why I really stopped playing.

The point is I stopped because As another person said, I miss the sense of community i get from a mostly english speaking community. I miss the Drama you could have with ppl on a game. The rivalry of guilds.

Sega could add more gameplay options to add more pop to the game, so you don't always have to do about the same thing.

Ezodagrom
Jan 20, 2013, 11:23 AM

(I find the game excellent and absolutely not boring, I'm just here to understand what is wrong with you people)
I occasionally talk with him, he usually talks about wanting more engaging content, like more aggressive/smarter enemies, more unique stuff to each of the areas, things like that.

Anyway, to me the game doesn't feel as boring as some here complain about, I wonder if it's because I don't farm, well, anything, I don't farm MPAs, don't hunt for rare items, don't care much about grinding equipment, I just play whatever mission I feel like playing or hang out in the lobby.
While saying this, I agree with those who complain about the game that it really needs to be improved.

Kion
Jan 20, 2013, 11:37 AM
I don't think it's that the game is boring as much as the mechanics don't fit together very well. People run around the same areas in MPA's for hours which get boring. But there's not too much reason to do TACO's either because those are all of a set pattern. And there's not much incentive to do the story or client because those are pretty much fetch quests. And my room is just randomly added in because unlike PSU my room has no effect on game play when you can get a team room anyways. And team points don't really change the status of the game too much for minor boosts for massive amounts of go and fetch quests.

Ogni-XR21
Jan 20, 2013, 11:48 AM
I just took a 5 week break and am currently having fun again.

But, like I've already posted in other threads, PSO2 really is missing something along the line of Forest to Falz runs. Just give me a set a maps connected where people can join mid game.

I've tried doing "world tours" in the past but never had anyone join the games I made so I usually give up frustrated once I've reached the caves boss without anyone joining the game.

Agitated_AT
Jan 20, 2013, 12:18 PM

No .

brian3000
Jan 20, 2013, 12:51 PM
I don't know what it was about PSU, but I know I would just play that game for hours and hours everyday.

Seany1990
Jan 20, 2013, 01:00 PM
I don't know what it was about PSU, but I know I would just play that game for hours and hours everyday.

Most of us felt that way for PSO. Your first is always the most fun and the next installments feel a little stale.

Ezodagrom
Jan 20, 2013, 01:07 PM
To me PSO got boring alot faster than either PSU and PSO2.
In PSO, Normal and Hard modes were fun, Very Hard starts feeling like "more of the same", and Ultimate, while interesting at first, the unfairness of certain elements (*cough* megid), and the need to grind for several levels to be able to play more confortably on certain areas makes that mode get boring really quick, the highest I've ever reached in PSO was level 145, and that is in Blue Burst (which has Ep1, 2 and 4).

Caledonia
Jan 20, 2013, 01:23 PM
To me PSO got boring alot faster than either PSU and PSO2.
---
---
the highest I've ever reached in PSO was level 145, and that is in Blue Burst (which has Ep1, 2 and 4).

But, by that point you've most likely completed all the story/quests and got most of the rares you wanted (and done the same on the DC/GC versions?) -so to have kept you that long after all the "new" stuff had worn off, there must still have been something fun that appealed to you.

But, even if we could put it in to definitive words, what we found fun about PSO/U/2 we'd be in the same situation here -you can't make a game that pleases everybody.

So my thought is, based on the earlier comments about community and one from another thread -why don't we have external competitions?

Team time attacks for example, something like 5 grinders as an entry fee (per team) the fastest run of an agreed map within a week gets the pot (screenshots required)

Just an example, obviously needs work -but would that add something? Or at least lessen the boredom?

Seravi Edalborez
Jan 20, 2013, 01:26 PM
Most of us felt that way for PSO. Your first is always the most fun and the next installments feel a little stale.

Feeling that way about PSO2 (my first), though I'm jaded enough with MMOs to realize its shortcomings.

I'm easily fooled by pretty numbers and progress bars. My classes and gear still need improving. What do I need to improve them for? Who cares; the option is there, I must do it!

sandylecuistot
Jan 20, 2013, 01:34 PM
Seems like some of the players who are bored do not have friends/family and so on, to play with...

Ezodagrom
Jan 20, 2013, 01:35 PM
But, by that point you've most likely completed all the story/quests and got most of the rares you wanted (and done the same on the DC/GC versions?) -so to have kept you that long after all the "new" stuff had worn off, there must still have been something fun that appealed to you.

But, even if we could put it in to definitive words, what we found fun about PSO/U/2 we'd be in the same situation here -you can't make a game that pleases everybody.

So my thought is, based on the earlier comments about community and one from another thread -why don't we have external competitions?

Team time attacks for example, something like 5 grinders as an entry fee (per team) the fastest run of an agreed map within a week gets the pot (screenshots required)

Just an example, obviously needs work -but would that add something? Or at least lessen the boredom?
I never played PSO GC, only played PSO ver.2 DC in offline (the highest I reached there was lvl 105).
I also haven't really played the story quests in PSO BB, tried to, but got bored of them rather fast.

No idea how much I played PSO in total, but in a single character, I reached at most 150 hours or so, while in PSU I had around 2000 hours in my main character by the end, and in PSO2 I have over 700 hours in my main character.

Railkune
Jan 20, 2013, 01:44 PM

To be honest this could actually be pretty interesting. I mean, let's think about it. If people are getting bored with doing the same ol same ol the current progress of the game allows why don't we as a community try coming up with fun competitions or activities to keep people interested/excited? Who doesn't like a bit of friendly competition and rivalry between fellow community members? I'd be for that personally.

UnLucky
Jan 20, 2013, 01:55 PM
Seems like some of the players who are bored do not have friends/family and so on, to play with...

They all got bored and quit somewhere between lv18-23

I don't blame them.

Not one bit.

What, the entrants all just discard some grinders, and the winner gets to buy some off the player shops? If the contest host is selling them cheap, they'd better be quick before someone else snipes them off the market.

JCGamer
Jan 20, 2013, 01:57 PM
think about it for second everyone. if your one those Gamers that been playing Phantasy star all together for very long time even back in PSO and PSU. Then your gonna feel out of place or in sure of your self on how dull the game is after few weeks or month of gaming. In this case just take a long break from it and then come back when your eager to play the game once again. This can be problem if you don't give your body and mind some rest. but in general this goes for all video games not only to Phantasy star; also depend on what games your playing over the years. I seen many gamers I encounter that play Games and pass out into a deep sleep, this can also be problem and a disorder of lack of sleep. Back in 70's we never had the luxury to play game online but we always spend time hanging out after school. but now these day gamers will play games every other day even when sun come up after school hours or after work . its always best to take long break of gaming in general regardless if your not up to it. Gaming is was meant for killing time when there a bad weather or when u have nothing else to do in your share time. but we the gamers abuse these action regardless if your from school or at your job. only advice I can give to any gamer is:

pause & unplug and relax your body and mind enjoy other thing in life

gigawuts
Jan 20, 2013, 01:59 PM
Yeah. I came to this game with 6 people, all fans of PSO1. Some were fans of PSO1 since the very beginning with v1, one was introduced literally less than 30 days prior to PSO2's launch (and loved every part of it, even the combat).

Of the group, I'm the only one still playing. They all went to do things that weren't going to nickel and dime them just to improve odds by 5% for a weapon that will be completely outclassed in 6 weeks. Some went to GW2, some TF2, others various other games.

Z-0
Jan 20, 2013, 02:07 PM

so i submit 5 grinders

get 5 grinders back

because my team would be the only one that plays considering people act like TA shouldn't be touched with a 10-foot pole here

Finalzone
Jan 20, 2013, 02:18 PM
I frankly don't understand why some people complained about boredom as if they don't have life outside the game. I play PSO2 since launch and found a way to enjoy despite my daily busy schedule. At the moment, I still have to unlock Very Hard difficulty (battling both Banther and Quatz Dragon is quite challenging than intended without heavily grinded weapons as Hunter). I also recently become a mentor training newcomers about strategy or helping them unlocking new area. Those are few examples of new activities inside the game.
Another points address to the community within, the changing to attitude will greatly help. Thinking before answering constructive question. This PSO-World showed how much they care about PSO2, SoJ knew it.

Soultrigger
Jan 20, 2013, 02:21 PM
To be honest this could actually be pretty interesting. I mean, let's think about it. If people are getting bored with doing the same ol same ol the current progress of the game allows why don't we as a community try coming up with fun competitions or activities to keep people interested/excited? Who doesn't like a bit of friendly competition and rivalry between fellow community members? I'd be for that personally.

The issue with this is that no one wants to front the costs of prize money, or said person might be suspected of an ulterior motive/rigging said contest. The last time someone tried to make a TA contest, drama ensued and eventually the organizer just dropped it to avoid more flack. paying for nothing in return.

Reading from a lot of these posts, I find it odd that people are blaming the players for getting bored. Of course taking a break is always an option, but asking yourself why you're getting burnt out is key to understanding why you enjoyed something in the first place.

Agitated_AT cleanly, concisely stated the issue without having to write a wall of text. In terms of longevity, it isn't just lack of content, fundamentally the game does not last long. It's neither challenging nor competitive. Many people are against PvP (which is fine, based on impressions of Clones), but there are no competitive outlets besides Interrupt Rankings (Team Rankings =/= skill). Other longlasting MMOs longevity thrives on raids or PvP. I am not saying PSO2 should copy successful trends for the sake of it, but PSO2 clearly isn't doing anything to fill that gap.

PSO1 thrived on rare weapon hunting because each weapon actually felt unique. PSO2 on the other hand does nothing to distinguish its weapons aside from ATK and a weapon potential most people can't afford [which is completely lazy and backwards in design anyways e.g. Elder Rod]. How often do you see someone wear an Ikutachi or Tarnada purely for cosmetics? Occasionally, but definitely not often. So with people only caring about the number of stars for rarity or the ATK at +10, people very quickly realize hunting for the next new rare is no longer appealing when, within a few weeks, it will become obsolete anyways.

Caledonia
Jan 20, 2013, 02:23 PM
I hate to quote myself but

...obviously needs work, but...

Not focusing on my example then, but community (PSOW really) based competitions in general? --more fun/less boring?

Yes, rewards would be severely handicapped because of the trade system (or apparent lack thereof) but not every reward needs to be extrinsic, right?

Z-0
Jan 20, 2013, 02:26 PM
The reason the last TA contest was cancelled is because the host's team didn't want to participate in said contest to give people a fair chance at winning,

so he decided it was a waste of time as he'd lose 10m.

pikachief
Jan 20, 2013, 02:26 PM
I stopped playing because everyone is busy all doing their own thing. Nothing against that, its just how the game works and it made the game very dull to me. One person is hunting things in Caves, another is Unlocking Hard Mode, another is trying to unlock Sub-classes, and 2-3 others are doing TACOs. They all want to do different things, at different areas, at different difficulties.

One day I got on, new computer and finally a whole day just to play PSO2. After about 6 hours I had finally killed the last 4 bosses or so I needed to complete a client order to continue trying to play catch up with everyone else, because I couldn't find anyone to help out and I wasn't good enough to solo Vardah and Quartz Dragon on my own, and the only open parties I could find were all in very hard which I could not play because I could not find anyone at all to help me unlock very hard.

So finally reaching very hard I find out that all people do is run circles in MPAs fighting ragne a million times in a row (I fought him about 9 times in a row back to back duel's once lol). I would've liked to do TACO's but most of the time people had already done theirs and didn't feel like doing it again.

tl;dr- after trying many different things and attempting many different play styles, areas, CO's and so forth I came to this conclusion about the game one day after being very excited to play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__jiz18l84U

Valimer
Jan 20, 2013, 02:46 PM
Maybe there should be a definition to "fun" before people start arguing whether or not PSO2 lacks that element or not.

What makes a game like World of Warcraft or League of Legends more popular then Phantasy Star Online 2? It's really unfair to compare WoW to PSO2, WoW has had years and years of development. But one element that both WoW and LoL have in common that PSO2 does not have is competition between players. Well, PSO2 does have some competition however passive and rare it may be.

WoW and LoL have close to zero RNG. Maybe that is just a coincidence, RNG is a large part of Maple Story iirc, and look how popular it is. Personally I think gambling is a poor way to reward players. Over-all I believe it discourages players rather than reward and encourage. And instead of making you feel rewarded for working hard, it makes you feel lucky that you got what you wanted.

Here are some articles if anyone cares to read up on this subject:
http://accidentalscientist.com/2008/08/what-makes-games-fun.html
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/130734/game_feel_the_secret_ingredient.php?page=1
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/168370/the_origins_of_fun.php?page=2

terrell707
Jan 20, 2013, 03:19 PM
What is new content supposed to fix about the boredom anyway? New areas stay fresh for only a couple of runs in my experience.

Basically the issue lie way deeper. I think there's more to it and more of you should realize that instead of thinking that content is the only thing that will address the boredom.

I don't know if the issues lay way deeper but I feel like the game gets boring because its the same ol same ol that a new area isn't going to change. The areas add nothing new besides something new to look at. I think something that kept PSO fresh was the variety of missions offered at the Hunter's Guild. It ranged from fighting a gauntlet of enemies, to a boss rush, to collecting things, to escorting someone to end the of a mission, to a story told while helping someone, etc. Not only were there a variety of missions, but they also changed up the level in someway to fit the theme of the mission. This is something I feel they should add to keep people engaged. The quests right now are nothing different from the Free Areas (except those point quests).

gigawuts
Jan 20, 2013, 03:26 PM
Don't mind him, he thinks if you can't play forever on one level you shouldn't play at all. He's been outlogicked multiple times and just comes back saying the same shit ad infinitum.

Soultrigger
Jan 20, 2013, 03:53 PM
@Valimer: I completely agree with your post, but I would like to point out that competitive games retain their players for years: take Street Fighter and Daigo/rest of the community. Maple Story (and many RNG-based games in general) on the other hand relies on waves of players: players find the game to be new and exciting, gradually exhaust all the content, understand its flaws (RNG/grind reliant), burn out, then quit -> repeat for new players for each update until the game dies out.

http://radoff.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/mmorpg_addict.png

Maple Story is a bit of an exception, as it's still surviving even today, but that's largely because MS is one of the major games that started the RNG trend.

I made that point using PSO1 in my post (although it was an EDIT so I can understand if you missed it), in that RNG done right can keep a game refreshing, which was PSO1's unique appeal. Unfortunately, PSO2 lacks that which makes playing the game longterm hard to justify. The difference between PSO2 and other games, though, is that it definitely has potential to become more than just "another grindy MMO" (despite not technically being "massive"). However, recent updates from SEGA pretty much show they don't know what they're doing (exp curves and weapon potential to name a few).

In SEGA's defense, the recent RNG-reliant features is because they're trying to mask the lack of content that comes as a result of the Vita launch. In other words, there's a content drought right now because of the Vita.

Railkune
Jan 20, 2013, 03:59 PM
Well, hopefully things pick up. Myself and multiple friends have fallen for the game; it's incredibly fun in my personal opinion. Sure, there may be times where you get burnt out for playing it for so long and you may need to break for a bit, or do something else, but I always find returning to the game to be a really wonderful experience. I mean, my friends and I always mess around and try to out do each other or take on missions together and such. It's just what you make of it I suppose.

FacelessRed
Jan 20, 2013, 04:22 PM
The game definitely needs more stuff to do besides Killing.

I personally suggest On rails shooting emergencies (like space ship gunner sort of deal)

Better housing community. Instanced neighborhoods etc.

On Ship Exploration, more stuff to do on ship. Areas to find. Maintenence to run, events to find things.

Also a more in depth item system would have made it a lot better. Instead of farming one item (grinders) for eternity and then failing for eternity, it should have just been 100% success, but withmore customization and harder to get items. (10 grinders = 100% +1 and other boosts such as elements and souls require synthesizers, 100% success but you need hundreds of em, and special synthesizers from bosses for their souls) That way you'd actually give a damn about fighting a boss instead of having RNG

Mini games, Why don't minigames appear more often in MMO's anyway? we have houses, set up our houses to have minigames, but REAL minigames. Stuff like tic-tac-to the dart board could be a REAL dart board. Arm wrestling, MINI GAMES!

The problem with all Onlin games for me is I really like to imagine myself in the game, but everything but the hunting falls short of activities you really would participate in on a daily basis. Being able to sit down in your house is a bit more than staring at a wall.

abitz
Jan 20, 2013, 04:32 PM
The game definitely needs more stuff to do besides Killing.

I personally suggest On rails shooting emergencies (like space ship gunner sort of deal)

Better housing community. Instanced neighborhoods etc.

On Ship Exploration, more stuff to do on ship. Areas to find. Maintenence to run, events to find things.

Also a more in depth item system would have made it a lot better. Instead of farming one item (grinders) for eternity and then failing for eternity, it should have just been 100% success, but withmore customization and harder to get items. (10 grinders = 100% +1 and other boosts such as elements and souls require synthesizers, 100% success but you need hundreds of em, and special synthesizers from bosses for their souls) That way you'd actually give a damn about fighting a boss instead of having RNG

Mini games, Why don't minigames appear more often in MMO's anyway? we have houses, set up our houses to have minigames, but REAL minigames. Stuff like tic-tac-to the dart board could be a REAL dart board. Arm wrestling, MINI GAMES!

The problem with all Onlin games for me is I really like to imagine myself in the game, but everything but the hunting falls short of activities you really would participate in on a daily basis. Being able to sit down in your house is a bit more than staring at a wall.

I definatly agree with this. But also in a topic like this it's just another one of those "too each their own" things. I suppose reading other peoples plights in what might have worked for them might help some people who lost their "fun" with the game.

I personally still can't stop playing pso2 just cause it covers so many gaming genres that I really enjoy playing plus I do put abit of effort towards finding people I can actully communicate with because I have too being on the JP server and everything so that helps.

Feel like hacking and slashing with swords? It's here, do I feel like playing a third person shooter? It's there aswell. Doing any of these things with a anime style and character cusomization that I love? I can do that here too.

I'm on ship 10 and my player ID is abitz if anyone wants another english speaking player to play with or just to talk to. Our teams got plenty of room too.

sandylecuistot
Jan 20, 2013, 04:37 PM
The thing I don't understand is why nobody ever write what RNG is (at least the 3 words).
Not that I absolutely don't know what it is, but because there are people who don't (as I did not too long ago).
I never had the best weapons in PSO 1 (chaos wand, lavis weapons and so on...) and I had fun. I wasn't even playing online, more like split screen on Gamecube.

For the "boring subject", I guess that's why I really asked for one of my relatives to wait for me so that we play both at the same time.
As such we always be somewhat at the same level and doing the same thing, while helping each other for the few client orders which would be different considering the classes and all...

I think it's important to see what is bad what you don't like, which is not always the same thing.
And as I see several people stating that almost everybody is doing multi party just to drop/exp... It does not seem to me anyone try to have fun.
There are some people who grind constantly and like this (I have a friend who does and that is why he became level 50/50 in less than one or 2 months). I could not play like this : / .

When someone says : "you can level up without even playing... blah blah..." I stop listening O.o .

Xaelouse
Jan 20, 2013, 04:38 PM
Advanced quests and improving the bosses enough to be challenging even to a party of 4 will be enough. Being able to improve your strength beyond the dependence on RNG is also wishful thinking.

MetalDude
Jan 20, 2013, 04:39 PM
Random Number Generator, basically anything that has to do with how your progression in the game, outside of leveling, is randomly determined. It's mostly referring to Dudu and the horrible grinding and affixing processes although the current rate of 10* weapons is often considered.

Mystil
Jan 20, 2013, 04:39 PM
I used to be bored to the point that it would depress me cause I had no one to play with. And when I did, I was too scare to join them.

Having came back to the game 2 months later though, a lot of things happened in that time, and I don't mind playing solo. There's enough for me to enjoy.

Railkune
Jan 20, 2013, 04:48 PM
I personally don't care if people want to come and play with me. Heck, possibility of more gaming friends, and it generally makes handling missions easier for me. So, I welcome it.

sandylecuistot
Jan 20, 2013, 05:27 PM
Advanced quests and improving the bosses enough to be challenging even to a party of 4 will be enough. Being able to improve your strength beyond the dependence on RNG is also wishful thinking.

And what about the players who find the game to hard, or difficult enough ?
I saw several people who said that it could be too hard .
Why do I see everything and its contrary ?

Noob, gamers, casuals, hardcore gamers and shit like this ?
Or is the game really that easy, or that hard ?

I will have to check by myself ^^ .

gigawuts
Jan 20, 2013, 05:30 PM
this game ranges from pong where your side isn't a paddle but is instead a wall to pong where the ball sees where your paddle is going and triple stomps you or juggles you or flinches you until you die.

Really, this game is less about surviving damage and more about not taking it. Be it by dodging, guarding, or simply being out of an attack's reach, if you're not being hit you're probably doing it right. It's when you get hit by multiple attacks that it becomes an issue.

Caledonia
Jan 20, 2013, 05:40 PM
Why do I see everything and its contrary ?

You cannot please everybody.

No two people are going to have the same gaming experience. Personally I think that's great as it creates diversity and a whole range of topics to discuss and personal achievements to be genuinely proud of.

Although, naturally it does raise arguments when one side cannot see the point another is making or refuses to accept it in favour of their own experiences. And that leads to all the contrary opinions of what should be done/could improve the game.

I rather like the existentialist remark Railkune made earlier:

It's just what you make of it I suppose.

If you go in looking for fun, I suspect you'll find it.

Valimer
Jan 20, 2013, 05:49 PM
In SEGA's defense, the recent RNG-reliant features is because they're trying to mask the lack of content that comes as a result of the Vita launch. In other words, there's a content drought right now because of the Vita.

Some very good points, and when I look at the design of PSO2 now, on paper it doesn't sound so bad.

They implemented a system that lets you beef up your weapons and armor, you can add abilities, add and increase elemental damage, and grind weapons to your satisfaction, plus it's not hard to do. They don't need to be "rare" weapons, which is good because then it takes the players mind off of the fact you may not be lucky and find rares, but you still have the option to beef up 3 star gear if you want so you don't have to wait for rares.

And as far as I know, you can't "hunt" for rares like you used to be able to... they are all equal chance drops from every monster as long as its not a boss or a different difficulty. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) So that would make rare gear more like happy coincidences. And if you don't want it you can put it in the shop which makes up the economy.

So what went wrong exactly... ?

Personally, and this is just a theory, there are huge money pits (doodoo) and not enough money being injected into the economy fast enough, at least for noobs. Noobs don't know how to make money quickly, so they save all their hard grind-ed cash from selling junk to NPC's and feel like they can't afford to spend that cash on doodoo for 3* weapons. So the feeling they get is "Wow it is such a grind to get money, it takes forever!"so they wait to spend their money on rares (which are rare, or from the shop) and then when they do decide to doodoo and they get fails, they get discouraged.

Now I'm not saying that's the ONLY problem in PSO2, but I think it's part of why some people feel like it is such a grind. I believe for RNG to be successful, it needs to be a "earn fast, spend fast" type of economy.

NoiseHERO
Jan 20, 2013, 05:53 PM
Everything wrong you see with PSO2 is done on purpose, or not finished out of laziness...

They know damn well what this game is. e_e

It's not a bad game.

It's an EVIL game.

Lumpen Thingy
Jan 20, 2013, 06:56 PM
So people play the game for hundreds or even thousands of hours and don't expect it to get boring? I still find ways to keep it fun but breaks every now and then help alot.

Powder Keg
Jan 20, 2013, 07:15 PM
As long as Drip-feed is their MO then yeah, it will get boring. Then you'll have only about 2 weeks to enjoy the last thing they release when the game ends. At least they did it right this game and didn't charge you to wait.

Acel
Jan 20, 2013, 07:52 PM
Hitting 50 on all classes on my main soon.
Already have a couple of 10 star unit sets for different purposes.
6 Different mags for different builds.
Fully decorated my room and bought most of the songs.
Bought nearly every costume that came out...
Grinded and affixed every rare that Ive found that are worthless if they were sold these days (eg. knightlancer).
Rolled a second account.
Rolled a third account...
Rolling a fourth account to complete my character theme... (to bring all other 3 of my alts as well with their custom AI settings/setup)

Nope Im still finding so much fun in this game... are you guys on crack?

Ps: having multiple accounts is fun when you can bring your own AI friend partners of your own alts. Feels kinda like the Guildwars Henchmen system where they are customized the way you want them to be... the fun part is getting them to behave/react the way you want them to in battle... also kinda like the "Pawn" system in Dragon's Dogma...

Agitated_AT
Jan 20, 2013, 08:09 PM
The issue with this is that no one wants to front the costs of prize money, or said person might be suspected of an ulterior motive/rigging said contest. The last time someone tried to make a TA contest, drama ensued and eventually the organizer just dropped it to avoid more flack. paying for nothing in return.

Reading from a lot of these posts, I find it odd that people are blaming the players for getting bored. Of course taking a break is always an option, but asking yourself why you're getting burnt out is key to understanding why you enjoyed something in the first place.

Agitated_AT cleanly, concisely stated the issue without having to write a wall of text. In terms of longevity, it isn't just lack of content, fundamentally the game does not last long. It's neither challenging nor competitive. Many people are against PvP (which is fine, based on impressions of Clones), but there are no competitive outlets besides Interrupt Rankings (Team Rankings =/= skill). Other longlasting MMOs longevity thrives on raids or PvP. I am not saying PSO2 should copy successful trends for the sake of it, but PSO2 clearly isn't doing anything to fill that gap.

PSO1 thrived on rare weapon hunting because each weapon actually felt unique. PSO2 on the other hand does nothing to distinguish its weapons aside from ATK and a weapon potential most people can't afford [which is completely lazy and backwards in design anyways e.g. Elder Rod]. How often do you see someone wear an Ikutachi or Tarnada purely for cosmetics? Occasionally, but definitely not often. So with people only caring about the number of stars for rarity or the ATK at +10, people very quickly realize hunting for the next new rare is no longer appealing when, within a few weeks, it will become obsolete anyways.
Im in a grumpy mood lately(personal issues) but thanks for your and also my friend ezodagroms great posts. U hit the nail on the head sir

Don't mind him, he thinks if you can't play forever on one level you shouldn't play at all. He's been outlogicked multiple times and just comes back saying the same shit ad infinitum.

Im sorry but the person you are replying to perfectly understood what i meant from reading his post. You missunderstanding the point seems to have been the issue in all the occasions we got into discussion. To correct your post. A game, and especially a game like this is supposed to stay all round interesting. Not just half or one third of the game. Especially with how the classes work and how they encourage a player start over. Oh wait its not a problem because if i pass these 40 levels again it will become fun again right?. Iirc that is what your referring to? Very hard making a huge difference as in being a much better and different experience? Yes ive never reached caves on very hard and i think it is silly to think i am at fault here for not doing so as if im missing out on "the real game". Because even if that's the case, it would be a huge flaw constructing a game like that. I dont even know so as ive said before. Im putting my trust into your words where u claim vh is worth goig through 2/3s of "boredom" with each class.

All this said i always like to praise the bossbattles in this game. They are the ultimate prove of why engaging the player consistently would be a good idea.

Zyrusticae
Jan 20, 2013, 08:39 PM
It can't be emphasized enough: There is no game on the planet that can survive hundreds or, gods forfend, thousands of hours of gameplay without eventually growing repetitive. Even competitive fighters, shooters, and the like eventually lose their luster because you've just done everything you can in those games a thousand times over.

People need to manage their expectations. There is absolutely no such thing as a godly game that will last you forever, simply because it's impossible to design anything to stay fresh for that length of time. It's just not going to happen.

That being said, the game would really benefit hugely from something that's actually challenging with multiple players, like a survival mode with endlessly escalating enemies or something of that nature. Perhaps they could make MPAs grow more and more difficult as they grow older, until you're dealing with 4 bosses simultaneously and they just keep coming one after the other... I don't know, just throwing stuff out there.

Right now the game just suffers from a bit too much downtime where you're not actually swinging at anything because everything dies too fast, the spawns are too sparse, or the MPA just refuses to throw emergencies at you. They could really serve to learn from, say, Mass Effect 3's multiplayer mode, where you are given short breaks but are otherwise fighting for your life, with every little mistake bringing you to the brink of destruction (yeah, I enjoy that mode, in case that isn't obvious).

But seriously? Anyone who says they should remove MPAs outright is a fool. It'll never happen and it is COMPLETELY USELESS FEEDBACK. Suggest instead ways to make MPAs (and, by extension, SPAs) more interesting instead of trying to suggest that they throw it all out outright. At least they can actually do something with that sort of suggestion.

Syklo
Jan 20, 2013, 08:47 PM
It can't be emphasized enough: There is no game on the planet that can survive hundreds or, gods forfend, thousands of hours of gameplay without eventually growing repetitive. Even competitive fighters, shooters, and the like eventually lose their luster because you've just done everything you can in those games a thousand times over.

People need to manage their expectations. There is absolutely no such thing as a godly game that will last you forever, simply because it's impossible to design anything to stay fresh for that length of time. It's just not going to happen.

That being said, the game would really benefit hugely from something that's actually challenging with multiple players, like a survival mode with endlessly escalating enemies or something of that nature. Perhaps they could make MPAs grow more and more difficult as they grow older, until you're dealing with 4 bosses simultaneously and they just keep coming one after the other... I don't know, just throwing stuff out there.

Right now the game just suffers from a bit too much downtime where you're not actually swinging at anything because everything dies too fast, the spawns are too sparse, or the MPA just refuses to throw emergencies at you. They could really serve to learn from, say, Mass Effect 3's multiplayer mode, where you are given short breaks but are otherwise fighting for your life, with every little mistake bringing you to the brink of destruction (yeah, I enjoy that mode, in case that isn't obvious).

But seriously? Anyone who says they should remove MPAs outright is a fool. It'll never happen and it is COMPLETELY USELESS FEEDBACK. Suggest instead ways to make MPAs (and, by extension, SPAs) more interesting instead of trying to suggest that they throw it all out outright. At least they can actually do something with that sort of suggestion.
Even real life can be just as repetitive (even if you don't consider reality/life a game)
Wake up, breakfast, go to work/school, come back, play this game, dinner, tv, w/e

and fit in a day off, outing or 2 every now and then in the daily routine.

Life ain't much different.
Or maybe im crazy for comparing life with this game.
Uh oh.

MetalDude
Jan 20, 2013, 08:54 PM
I definitely think there's more that this game can do to really help with repetition complaints like less random-based content to give us some definitive hunting quests to do alongside everything else, but most of my 800 hours has been really enjoyable (except fucking Dudu).

Zyrusticae
Jan 20, 2013, 09:20 PM
Even real life can be just as repetitive (even if you don't consider reality/life a game)
Wake up, breakfast, go to work/school, come back, play this game, dinner, tv, w/e

and fit in a day off, outing or 2 every now and then in the daily routine.

Life ain't much different.
Or maybe im crazy for comparing life with this game.
Uh oh.
Exactly.

At some point you just have to do something different. No one can do that for you; you're in charge of your life, after all.

I definitely think there's more that this game can do to really help with repetition complaints like less random-based content to give us some definitive hunting quests to do alongside everything else, but most of my 800 hours has been really enjoyable (except fucking Dudu).
Non-random content is, by definition, going to last you one playthrough, because it'll be exactly the same as last time. I honestly don't understand how people can enjoy the TAs after the second time, because it's always the same thing, and they're not even particularly difficult.

What we need is more engagement, something that actually requires us to pay attention instead of just running blindly through an area disintegrating everything that spawns before they can even attack. Again, ME3's multiplayer is a good example of this - it's always challenging, no matter how much time you've invested into the game and how much obscenely overpowered gear you've accumulated. That's how the game should be. Hopefully the Advanced Quests push us in that direction.

The Walrus
Jan 20, 2013, 09:55 PM
Non-random content is, by definition, going to last you one playthrough, because it'll be exactly the same as last time. I honestly don't understand how people can enjoy the TAs after the second time, because it's always the same thing, and they're not even particularly difficult.

Because it's fun to constantly plan out new ways to do them and try to be even more efficient each time through? It's like how I enjoyed running the beginning of RT in the first game to get a double saber from barba. It was really really fun to learn exactly how things spawned and what was the most efficient way to clear rooms quickly. It never got boring either. That's the fun in set area layouts.

MetalDude
Jan 20, 2013, 09:57 PM
It's like why any good old school game is fun to replay from time to time; part of it is refreshing your memory and enjoying yourself, the other is finding new ways to play through it.

Kimil Adrayne
Jan 20, 2013, 10:02 PM
I fall in and out of love with the game at months of a time; which is not a problem really.

Zyrusticae
Jan 20, 2013, 10:34 PM
Because it's fun to constantly plan out new ways to do them and try to be even more efficient each time through? It's like how I enjoyed running the beginning of RT in the first game to get a double saber from barba. It was really really fun to learn exactly how things spawned and what was the most efficient way to clear rooms quickly. It never got boring either. That's the fun in set area layouts.

It's like why any good old school game is fun to replay from time to time; part of it is refreshing your memory and enjoying yourself, the other is finding new ways to play through it.
Eh. Different strokes, I guess. Personally, I need some element of challenge to have motivation to go through repetitive content.

Geometry Wars is great for this. After a certain point there's no longer any variation, it's just straight-up more stuff being thrown your way, but it requires so much finesse and there's so much room for optimization that it never truly gets old. I can't imagine how you could pull the same thing out of PSO2's TAs, which don't have that same element of challenge, only of beating your own score, which is only like half the equation for me.

Shiyo
Jan 20, 2013, 10:51 PM
I have tons of fun playing everyday, the only things I find negative fun is the affix system(The actual cost is fine, it's the fact it's tedious as hell and takes too much thinking) and grinding. It shouldn't be possible to spend 400+ grinders on a 8 star and not +10 it, while spending 45 on a 9 star and +10ing it. Too random.

Valimer
Jan 20, 2013, 10:57 PM
Eh. Different strokes, I guess. Personally, I need some element of challenge to have motivation to go through repetitive content.

Geometry Wars is great for this. After a certain point there's no longer any variation, it's just straight-up more stuff being thrown your way, but it requires so much finesse and there's so much room for optimization that it never truly gets old. I can't imagine how you could pull the same thing out of PSO2's TAs, which don't have that same element of challenge, only of beating your own score, which is only like half the equation for me.

TA's are boring because there is no competition. The computers best time is 21 minutes, I can solo way faster than that, but there is no motivation to improve.

I have tons of fun playing everyday, the only things I find negative fun is the affix system(The actual cost is fine, it's the fact it's tedious as hell and takes too much thinking) and grinding. It shouldn't be possible to spend 400+ grinders on a 8 star and not +10 it, while spending 45 on a 9 star and +10ing it. Too random.

I personally welcome anything to the game that "takes too much thinking" at this point. Right now the game is about as shallow as my little sisters swimming pool, at least for me.

Alisha
Jan 20, 2013, 11:09 PM
sounds like this game needs challange mode.
also i played pso at launch and people did get bored of thier lvl 100 char the difference is in pso it was relatively trivial to make a new char and start having fun again. to a certain extent infinity was this way too.

MetalDude
Jan 20, 2013, 11:17 PM
sounds like this game needs challange mode.
also i played pso at launch and people did get bored of thier lvl 100 char the difference is in pso it was relatively trivial to make a new char and start having fun again. to a certain extent infinity was this way too.

That reminds me of my FOnewm I recently made on BB that I need to start nuking through to 80.

Mike
Jan 21, 2013, 03:52 AM
Indeed. Even things as simple as cosmetic changes can keep things fresh. In the Portable games, I'd change my character's costume or tweak her appearance if I started getting bored and that'd help a bit. I'm willing to believe that Sega knows the importance of appearance beyond the "playing dress up with your online doll" aspect but I wonder what effect the real money (and/or) RNG wall that must be overcome to access those features has on player retention. Either way, it doesn't change the fact that the only things to do in PSO2 are grind or socialize.

Z-0
Jan 21, 2013, 04:28 AM
There's plenty of TA competiton on PSO2, people just don't see it because Interrupt Ranking occurence has been nerfed to hell (I've jumped over to different ships and they only get IRs like once a week, lol), and Ship 2 is just completely devoid of real TA teams (except Ash's. There was Eve's team and Shakura's team but they seem to have given up or just quit). There's also the problem of the split ship system, which splits up much potential competition. I can't directly compete with the teams of Ship 1 on Ship 2; only indirectly by posting records around.

It's a little disheartening to see a certain aspect of the game to just be completely ignored outside of "mesetalol". People seem to completely miss the point of the quests when they just keep arguing "but it's the same over and over again", as the point isn't just to get to the end of the straight line, it's to do it as fast as you can can, which is a pleasure you simply cannot achieve from randomly generated maps.

Right now, I only know a few TA teams, being Valiant (Ship 1), Ignition (Ship 2 - this is mine), Resonance (Ship 4) and Outer Haven (Ship 4 - Not a TA team, but definitely have some able TA'ers). There's probably more out there, especially on other ships, but I never see them since I'm stuck on Ship 2. There's actually been times a few of us have considered jumping ship just to make things a bit more lively, but I doubt that's ever going to happen.

And when it comes to TA'ing, you don't need 100 million meseta gear to do it. Things crumble quickly in this, so you just need the right mag, the right skill tree and some decent equipment which isn't too expensive at all.

Meji
Jan 21, 2013, 04:49 AM
I'm REALLY enjoying myself with Clones, Paralell areas and Darkers Den.

Then again, not everyone might have been lucky finding those.

Menasthos
Jan 21, 2013, 08:18 AM
Lv. 55 incoming, yay :)

Zerex
Jan 22, 2013, 07:28 PM
When i log on i think "So what should i do today.." i mean i could go to find 10* rares, but i've been killing bosses for the last hundred and thirty hours or so and the only 10* i've ever gotten is a rifle from falz..

Then there's money, i need money, but it's such a pain getting a TA party together.

i'm not 50/50 yet, but i honestly don't see the point in being capped, it wont unlock new content, it wont make it more exiting, and sure the boss fights may go faster, but i would still be able to kill them even if i wasn't capped.

So then what do i do besides go on MPA's and just kill endlessly (or kill nothing, as being a hunter in a area full or force and techers means that i will never get a hit in on mobs), or kill bosses? there really is nothing else.

Soultrigger
Jan 22, 2013, 09:30 PM
When i log on i think "So what should i do today.." i mean i could go to find 10* rares, but i've been killing bosses for the last hundred and thirty hours or so and the only 10* i've ever gotten is a rifle from falz..

Then there's money, i need money, but it's such a pain getting a TA party together.

i'm not 50/50 yet, but i honestly don't see the point in being capped, it wont unlock new content, it wont make it more exiting, and sure the boss fights may go faster, but i would still be able to kill them even if i wasn't capped.

So then what do i do besides go on MPA's and just kill endlessly (or kill nothing, as being a hunter in a area full or force and techers means that i will never get a hit in on mobs), or kill bosses? there really is nothing else.

Exactly. No challenge+no competition+no uniqueness (aside from ultra rares that no one gets) = no incentive to actually improve (and thus play) aside from "showing off". And besides, if any lvl40+ player out there is equally as qualified as someone who spends hours upon hours min/maxing to their best potential for something like an 11/12*, then essentially PSO2 is the equivalent of one giant lottery where you congratulate the random person who won. Sounds fun/sarcasm

PSO1 at least had gear checks. You could be the most skilled player out there, but you still need good gear to take on ultimate. In PSO2, quite honestly THE biggest problem is no penalization upon death unless you solo (lol). Boss killing your entire party? No worries, have someone jump back to campship, pay a measly 2.5k, and oh hey everyone is revived again.

Even community speaking, hardly anybody talks in MPA or lobby (aside from B20, which is synonymous for dirty SA spam/noob-central for many people). It's incredibly hard to even meet anyone because everyone locks their parties for Friends/Team only. The only thing people do nowadays is EQ, and good luck joining an open party (let alone an English speaking one) when the MPA fills up 12/12 in a matter of seconds.

MetalDude
Jan 22, 2013, 09:41 PM
In PSO2, quite honestly THE biggest problem is no penalization upon death unless you solo (lol). Boss killing your entire party? No worries, have someone jump back to campship, pay a measly 2.5k, and oh hey everyone is revived again.

You could do the same thing in PSO1 ._.

Soultrigger
Jan 22, 2013, 09:43 PM
You could do the same thing in PSO1 ._.

Yea I kind've realized that after I posted that. I don't remember too well, it's been more than a decade. lol

I vaguely remembering having poor gear and running Ultimate was not a good idea, but yea I need to refresh my memory.

MetalDude
Jan 22, 2013, 09:44 PM
Ultimate is definitely a gear check though and generally speaking, there's not a ton of rares you could find in Very Hard to really get you a head start in Ultimate. Levels meant everything until around level 120.

terrell707
Jan 22, 2013, 09:45 PM
Yea I kind've realized that after I posted that. I don't remember too well, it's been more than a decade. lol

I vaguely remembering having poor gear and running Ultimate was not a good idea, but yea I need to refresh my memory.

In PSO, you would lose any money you were carrying if you chose to go back to the ship and your MAG would hate you a little lol. But most people would deposit their money before attempting the boss anyway.

Ezodagrom
Jan 22, 2013, 09:49 PM
PSO1 at least had gear checks. You could be the most skilled player out there, but you still need good gear to take on ultimate. In PSO2, quite honestly THE biggest problem is no penalization upon death unless you solo (lol). Boss killing your entire party? No worries, have someone jump back to campship, pay a measly 2.5k, and oh hey everyone is revived again.
There's no equivalent to ultimate in PSO2 currently, it's not like PSO was really "hard" between normal and very hard.
About the bosses thing, I don't think it works that way, if the party members die and return to the campship, doesn't the gate close? (or at least when soloing the gate closes and the mission fails when the player dies in the boss arena and returns to the campship)

In PSO, you would lose any money you were carrying
That only happened in PSO DC and, honestly, it was a terrible feature, thank goodness it ended up being removed in...hmm...if I'm not mistaken it was in PSO GC, right? (I only played DC ver.2 and Blue Burst)

terrell707
Jan 22, 2013, 09:57 PM
There's no equivalent to ultimate in PSO2 currently, it's not like PSO was really "hard" between normal and very hard.
About the bosses thing, I don't think it works that way, if the party members die and return to the campship, doesn't the gate close? (or at least when soloing the gate closes and the mission fails when the player dies in the boss arena and returns to the campship)

The gate closes if all the members return. So if you're running solo, then that solo person is all the members and it closes lol. But if only one member returns, they can just jump back into the map and then go to the boss, however they do sacrifice part of their rank.

That only happened in PSO DC and, honestly, it was a terrible feature, thank goodness it ended up being removed in...hmm...if I'm not mistaken it was in PSO GC, right? (I only played DC ver.2 and Blue Burst)

Ah I wasn't aware it was removed. I'm pretty sure it was around for PSO GC because that was the only one I played extensively. I'm guessing it was removed in PSOBB then.

Ezodagrom
Jan 22, 2013, 10:02 PM
The gate closes if all the members return. So if you're running solo, then that solo person is all the members and it closes lol. But if only one member returns, they can just jump back into the map and then go to the boss, however they do sacrifice part of their rank.
Oh, wasn't aware of that. I don't really play much in parties, and when I do it's very rare for everyone to die (I think the only time that I was in a party where everyone died at the boss it was just in a party of 2, and we both returned to the campship since an EQ was about to start).

MetalDude
Jan 22, 2013, 10:14 PM
They removed the meseta loss in Blue Burst but instead made you lose a % (yes a %) of your experience, which was awful if you were level 150+.

terrell707
Jan 22, 2013, 10:25 PM
They removed the meseta loss in Blue Burst but instead made you lose a % (yes a %) of your experience, which was awful if you were level 150+.

Wow, that makes losing meseta seem a lot better lol

Cyclon
Jan 23, 2013, 06:16 AM
Actually, in PSO V1, also V2 I believe, all your money AND your equipped weapon dropped to the ground upon death, allowing fellow partners to gladly steal them from you, or a random DC on the way back to make you lose it all.

Mystil
Jan 23, 2013, 08:06 AM
~_~ yep, those were some hellish days back then.

brian3000
Jan 23, 2013, 11:48 AM
Glad I made this thread lol I needed to know how people really felt about this game and the differences from the other PSO/PSU games.

Nicktendonick
Jan 23, 2013, 12:43 PM
I believe you did keep your weapon in the GC version. You just lost all the money you had on you.

Cyclon
Jan 23, 2013, 01:02 PM
I believe you did keep your weapon in the GC version. You just lost all the money you had on you.
V1 and V2 were on the Dreamcast. Episode 1&2 for GC (and Xbox?) came after that.

But otherwise yes.