PDA

View Full Version : Raising some issues

May0
Jan 20, 2013, 01:34 AM
I've been sitting idle for a bit watching the debates here between the proJP crowd and those choosing to wait for the US version. I've concluded that the reasons most are holding out for the US version isn't necessarily because of the translation issue, 3rd party currency dealers (which are no longer an issue I believe) and/or the small if not tight knit community making it hard to find people to play with. I think PSO2 as a game doesn't really offer that much.

The point being, Japanese or English-I feel hard pressed to bother with either version. Having to do the Japanese registration and the english patch nonsense is merely the icing on the cake of problems that is PSO2. Before I press on though I have to speak in defense of PSO2 for what it has done. The game is stable and balanced from what I've seen so far. On the basic level of "does it work?" I can say yes and in true Phantasy Star style it's truly unique game artistically. Really, my only argument is PSO2 hasn't changed much since PSO. This will turn into another debate based entirely on opinions but I haven't seen this issue really brought up before so I want to see if I'm the only who feels the way I do about the forthcoming issues.

Its a small World(s)

What was your main grievance with PSO? For me it was the lack of open world exploration. In PSO's defense though they had a lot on their plate with what they were trying to do at the time (read online gaming on a console) . Moreover the style of play structured for PSO wasn't conducive to an open world environment. After episode 2 and 4 were released we had these maps; forest, mines, caves, ruins, VR ruins, VR space station, beach, mountains, jungle, submarine base, and desert. So with two hands and one toe I can count all the maps on my body. Pretty respectable for game released in 2000 or so and doing what it did. I don't have that much info on PSU but as I understand its selection of environments weren't exactly stellar. There were also various other phantasy star titles sprinkled here and there across handhelds and such.

So what is the point I'm taking forever to get to? PSO2 should have a large library of locations to pick and choose from. As of my writing this I know of these stages. Forest, caves, tundra, desert, city and ruins (feel free to correct me if I missed one). So that's a grand total of 6 locations. Keep in mind not all of these locations were available at launch. As a fan of PSO I can say "Yep that's PSO" as an outside observer that's a really lackluster display. More than that, the way you travel to these various locales is through a disjointed teleporting system. This only goes to further the instanced feel of the game.

I understand intended playstyle of PSO as a series is "time attack" and exploring the same stage over and over to find that one rare drop but it feels dated. Look at Vindictus and Dragon Nest. They both use instanced areas but the areas they have are diverse and it feels more connected.

no endgame

There isn't much to do once you get to end of the available content.A bold statement considering I've never played PSO2. As I've gathered so far you can create a new character or branch off into another job after hitting the level cap, hunt for rare items or play the gatcha, and compete against others in time attack mode to see if you're the fastest.

As for the story no one plays PSO2 for the story :lol:

Joking aside, I have to ask what is the end game? There's no PVP yet. Its been hinted at with the January update but nothing been announced yet. Time attacks were never really my thing, I was never much for hunting down rares and I'm indifferent towards the new character splicing stuff.

So I have a lot of assumptions I'm sure. Feel free to call me on them as needed. While I was a bit of a negative nancy I don't think I'm too much worse than the Anti PSO2 EN version party :-P.

tldr;

Are you waiting for the english version because you don't want to bother with the translation patch and the japanese registration or is PSO2 flawed in such a way you'd rather wait for whatever issues it has be fixed before you partake of it?

MetalDude
Jan 20, 2013, 01:47 AM
The PSO series is much more related to the Diablo series in that the game is heavily instanced based. It's always been like this and it's not really a bad thing that we have a select few areas. Do we need more than 6? Absolutely, but free roam is definitely not part of the game either. It needs variety more than anything and that's what a lot of people are hoping for out of advanced quests.

As for endgame, yeah, supposedly they're working on that.

May0
Jan 20, 2013, 01:53 AM
The PSO series is much more related to the Diablo series in that the game is heavily instanced based. It's always been like this and it's not really a bad thing that we have a select few areas. Do we need more than 6? Absolutely, but free roam is definitely not part of the game either. It needs variety more than anything and that's what a lot of people are hoping for out of advanced quests.

As for endgame, yeah, supposedly they're working on that.

I agree free roam isn't really for PSO2. The mechanics of this series couldn't really benefit from it but I'm not wanting free roam so much as I would like a better transition between the instanced areas and having enough variety of areas to really make the world feel massive (even though its not).

I expect PSO2 to be like PSO. I want it to be more than that though.

Magus_84
Jan 20, 2013, 02:14 AM
I agree free roam isn't really for PSO2. The mechanics of this series couldn't really benefit from it but I'm not wanting free roam so much as I would like a better transition between the instanced areas and having enough variety of areas to really make the world feel massive (even though its not).

I expect PSO2 to be like PSO. I want it to be more than that though.

It sounds like a lot of the "issues" you're bringing up basically boil down to "I want PSO to be more WoW-like". (or insert other popular MMO that has free-roam, 'endgame' and PvP).

I'll pass, thanks.

And even the game being in English isn't worth the mess Sega/SoA is going to make of administering the game.

I'm expecting "endgame" on this to be something like the Guardians Advance System from PSU, or Diablo 3's Paragon Levels.

UnLucky
Jan 20, 2013, 02:17 AM
Everyone waits around for content updates. I'd say they're slow, but at least they're somewhat steady. Though they're not always substantial.

But you don't really lose anything for playing right away and then sitting around bored all day waiting for next month's patch. There's no subscription. Most of my time is spent afk.

Endgame consists of doing the same thing you did to reach the cap, only slightly faster. All there is to do is get more money and upgrade your gear. For what? To get more money and upgrade your gear. Not like there's any gear checks or anything actually difficult that would require it, it's just raising numbers for the sake of raising numbers.

ShinMaruku
Jan 20, 2013, 02:17 AM
Nice to want those things perhaps with enough players they will expand it a bit. I am mostly fine with what is here. Just less sucmbag rng with dudu and the weak pay structure and some mechanics that can be tweaked it's still good.

I would say we need a much stronger cash shop in the West one more like other sucessful games than porting Japanese ideals because those don't always translate (FF13 I'm looking at you)

As well probably a better transition between areas. (Although how they sturcture unlock quests that design is probably intended.

May0
Jan 20, 2013, 02:32 AM
It sounds like a lot of the "issues" you're bringing up basically boil down to "I want PSO to be more WoW-like". (or insert other popular MMO that has free-roam, 'endgame' and PvP).

I'll pass, thanks.

And even the game being in English isn't worth the mess Sega/SoA is going to make of administering the game.

I'm expecting "endgame" on this to be something like the Guardians Advance System from PSU, or Diablo 3's Paragon Levels.

As mentioned I before I don't think free roam will really benefit PSO2 so much as more diverse environments mixed with better transitions to said environments would make the world feel more real.

Endgame can be rather ambiguous as it depends on what game we're talking about. For WoW it would be a gear grab. For PSO I think end game would most likely test your reflexes/pattern memorization for a truly difficult boss or getting the best clear time/score for an instance

PVP and end game are kind of in the same basket. I didn't really shine much light on that in my original post but the inclusion of it wouldn't hurt as long as its not crowbarred in so to speak. Two teams competing to kill a certain monster first or holding territories would be interesting I think. The ground work for PVP has been laid out but there needs to be refinement in regard to balance.

But you don't really lose anything for playing right away and then sitting around bored all day waiting for next month's patch. There's no subscription. Most of my time is spent afk.

I have world of tanks taking up my time nowadays-that and various video editing projects. I don't wish to dissuade people from playing though. Not that the opinion of some random on the internet is going to stop people from playing either way ;-)

MetalDude
Jan 20, 2013, 03:06 AM
Yeah, advanced quests are hopefully going to start fulfilling endgame content needs (as well as actually establish some more substantial non-random content outside of Time Attacks). Quest diversity is definitely one of PSO2's big issues currently compared with past games. If they're anywhere near as good as what I hear about Darker Den, AQ's should be an awesome addition.

Cyclon
Jan 20, 2013, 04:36 AM
Forgot floating continent, mines, and I guess you could say darker's den. So that's nine areas.
Also PSU had quite a lot of different environments, actually. It was just... very reskinny.

Otherwise, I'd say you should maybe just play it. People complain a lot around here, but mainly about things you'll face after playing the game for quite some time; so basing your opinion on this place alone is probably not that good of an idea.
Also don't worry too much, even though endgame is lacking, you're not getting there that soon.

Anyway, this game's main strength is its gameplay, and you can't judge that if you don't play.

Maronji
Jan 20, 2013, 04:40 AM
So what is the point I'm taking forever to get to? PSO2 should have a large library of locations to pick and choose from. As of my writing this I know of these stages. Forest, caves, tundra, desert, city and ruins (feel free to correct me if I missed one). So that's a grand total of 6 locations.

If I had to get really technical, here is a more complete list of locations (including special ones since we're including City in this) currently in PSO2:
[spoiler-box]Forest
Caves
Desert
Tundra
Mines
Floating Continent/Skyland
Ruins
City (Story/Emergency Quests only so far)
Darker's Nest (abduction events only so far)
Arks Ship Wreckage (Dark Falz Elder Emergency Quest only)[/spoiler-box]
That's a grand total of 10 areas, 8 of which we can access on a whim (if you count the Chapter 7 Story Quest for the City or the semi-frequent Emergency Quests; otherwise it's 7).

More directed at the topic, I'm currently playing on JP, but if the NA/EU servers don't commit suicide within the first six months, then I don't intend on staying (except to try out new content as it comes). My natural way of playing involves always playing on localized servers because (ideally, mind you) in the long run, it's less of a hassle (again, ideally). The only time I settle down on anything other than that is if A: localized servers don't exist (or were nuked) or if service on localized servers is so terrible that I'd rather watch paint dry or fill my head with good ol' buckshot.

That's just how I roll. That's how I've done things since I started playing online RPGs, and that's the way it's going to stay. I see no reason to change this methodology just because "lol English patch", "lol guides", or "lol WebMoney". It's just not how I do things, and although there are probably differing feelings or reasons behind it, I'd imagine others that are waiting for the US/EU servers feel similar.

On a semi-related but mostly off-topic sidenote, I'm not going to participate in arguments between pro-JP and pro-US/EU for one reason: What other people choose to do to get their experience is none of my business. If they want to play on JP, then I'm going to respect that decision and leave them be. If they want to play on the US/EU servers, then okay, that's their choice, so who am I to tell them otherwise?

I have nothing more to say on the matter until the US/EU servers come out and we've had time to see how they're being run. If you disagree with my opinion or my way of thinking, then that's a shame, but I'm not going to go out of my way to make you think otherwise.

Dnd
Jan 20, 2013, 05:04 AM
Tbh, the argument of endgame content, lack of zones is quite a shallow one for simply not playing pso2, for a major start the game is still young, which wont help it.

The original pso had FOUR levels to pick from, then it increased to 8 with ep2 (12 if you count each part of CCA separately and east/west tower as one) then it increased to 10 (14) with crater and desert from EP4 and that took years to get to. I admit, recently I was thinking about how the games progress has slowed down in regards to actual content (Or restriction of content, ala parallel worlds and darkers den) but as many have said, its a free game and you can just take a break for afew weeks if your not happy...

Endgame content? Whilst I'd agree somewhat pso2 has no true endgame content, the simple answer to that is obvious - Pso2 hasn't hit 'endgame' yet and it wont for at least 3-4 years. Ignoring the annoying pre-requisites to enter the darker den, I would consider that current endgame - it truly was a pleasure to play that map and i cant wait to do it again, think a PW3 quest, but in pso2 and bingo. Even if the advanced quests are HALF as fun as the den was, I really have no worry for the future in regards to challenging content and/or pseudo endgame material.

Then again, even with all this being said, the true essence of PSO isn't the content (It does help) - I've always thought of it as the many, many epic and fun times spent smashing stuff up with a group of friends (And, of course, that elusive red box). To be honest, if it wasn't for that point alone, I don't think I'd even be playing pso2 to this day. Even tho, I have spent ~80% of my playtime soloing, its the 20% with groups that make it ALL worthwhile and I wouldn't trade it for anything from ANY other game.....

Seany1990
Jan 20, 2013, 08:58 AM
I like the game the way it is, I just wish we had more variety

May0
Jan 20, 2013, 12:56 PM
Anyway, this game's main strength is its gameplay, and you can't judge that if you don't play.

I am biased by my not playing the game I'll concede that. I will agree that PSO2 is all about the gameplay but there are many games that do what PSO2 does gameplay wise while at the same time offering more.

That's a grand total of 10 areas, 8 of which we can access on a whim (if you count the Chapter 7 Story Quest for the City or the semi-frequent Emergency Quests; otherwise it's 7).

I'll call it at 10 then. Nothing to sneeze at to be sure. Hows is the transition between these instanced areas? Does it feel like you going from one world to the next? Does it feel like your part of a massive universe? With 10 different unique environments to play with Sega can stretch things out and make the world(s) seem bigger than it(they) actually is(are). Do you think Sega is making a convincingly big universe to play in?

The reason I pose so many questions is (as previously mentioned) that I've yet to play the game so its hard for me to really understand every single aspect of navigation between environments and how it feels.

Endgame content? Whilst I'd agree somewhat pso2 has no true endgame content

I think I mentioned before but
Endgame can be rather ambiguous as it depends on what game we're talking about.

I said for WoW it would be a gear grab. I was hoping someone would dispute me and say it was PVP, or crafting, or completing every quest, or becoming the best fisherman. The point I didn't get to make earlier being this- endgame can mean different things to different people depending on how they play. Right now PSO2's end game doesn't offer much in the way of choices as to what you can do.

Both of the problems I've addressed- the environment and the endgame aren't set in stone. These issues can be resolved and the game can get better. In the interim I'm not that impressed. That's my fault for expecting Sega to do something extraordinary with PSO2 right out of the gate.

Forget the registration and english patch issues. There isn't much PSO2 offers at the moment. At least for me. :-?

Noblewine
Jan 20, 2013, 05:47 PM
I plan to play on jp hub but uncertain about whether or not to spent money an extra character, mags or clothes.

Valimer
Jan 20, 2013, 05:57 PM
I'm not waiting, because look at what the core game play is. The thing I spend the most time doing. The thing that is suppose to be the most fun element in the game.

At level 1, you're beating up monsters.

At level 50, you're beating up monsters.

I play PSO2 when I feel like beating up monsters... or feeling lucky. ;)

Syklo
Jan 20, 2013, 06:10 PM
PSO2 is an online game that still feels like a console game whenever i play it.
And my friends will occasionally be there (for JP at least) so we can team up whenever that time comes.
Other than that, SOLO ALL THE WAY!
Except for MPA's when i really want to accelerate my hunting pace, which is also an option ready to choose.

I just play....cuz i want to.
Sure when I say my usual routine: Check taco's (I only bother soloing normals), check team orders, partner FUN points, then whatever, sounds boring, i still do it. If it weren't for RNG, emergency codes, EQ's and the like wouldn't be there (or otherwise always predictable), in which case I don't know if I would still be playing.
I love the RNG. I hate it when the RNG fails me when I really need it not to fail, but for the times where it won't really matter, it's AWESOME.

Cyclon
Jan 21, 2013, 05:41 AM
I am biased by my not playing the game I'll concede that. I will agree that PSO2 is all about the gameplay but there are many games that do what PSO2 does gameplay wise while at the same time offering more.
I have no knowledge of such games. I'm not cynical when saying this, I just don't know any. What games are you thinking of?

Hows is the transition between these instanced areas? Does it feel like you going from one world to the next? Does it feel like your part of a massive universe? With 10 different unique environments to play with Sega can stretch things out and make the world(s) seem bigger than it(they) actually is(are). Do you think Sega is making a convincingly big universe to play in?
Areas are separated into planets/others. As of now, We have access to three planets, plus the darker's den, though we don't know where the latter is located. Areas on the same planet can be seen in the distance from other areas/(floating continent in the sky in caves, snowy mountains when in the forest, huge pillar/tree/thing from the ruin at the tundra...)
Otherwise they're all instanced separately. So huge universe... no. I wouldn't say that.
To be clear, you start at the Arks' spaceship, select a mission from there, then get into a campship, which is a separate instance with mostly everything you need to prepare for the mission, then you literally jump into the area. If you use a telepipe, or if you die, you get back to the campship. You can also select missions directly from it. Areas are made of blocks, from one to three depending on the mission, with the third usually being the boss fight. Exceptions excluded, these blocks look mostly the same and take place in one single area. Different areas aren't linked directly at any point, except through time attack, which goes by planet instead of areas. So the Lilipa-or desert planet- time attack, will have you going through desert AND mines, since they're on the same planet.

Forget the registration and english patch issues. There isn't much PSO2 offers at the moment. At least for me. :-?
There is something important that you don't say. In Wow, while in my opinion being the worst part of the game, endgame is your goal. In PSO 2 it's not. Just like it wasn't in PSO, or Diablo. There is no real goal so to speak in these. Rather than that, there are myriads of smaller objectives here and there that you choose yourself, but these are not supposed to lead you anywhere. These are games that end when you're utterly bored to death with them, it's as simple as that.

Now if your problem is that you believe there is nothing to do, well allow me to tell you that you're wrong, because there is content to be experienced and there are things to be done to keep you busy. Even people complaining they have nothing to do may have merely chosen to ignore some part of the content, because they weren't interested in it(or have played for quite a lot of time anyway). But if you don't like the game there's no point, because that's not content that makes the experience feel brand new.

May0
Jan 22, 2013, 12:17 AM
Many people have noted this one but I'll go ahead and drop Dragon Nest. Not as deep with the character customization and I think of it more akin to a 3d version of streets of rage set in a fantasy universe. I would of played this game a bit more but World of Tanks won't let me go. From what I have played the environments really draw you in and even though they are instanced it doesn't feel disjointed. The action in that game is fast and fun. My only problem is I can't really find anyone to play with. Still

Then there's Vindictus, or as I call it Dragon Nest for adults. I've barely scratched the surface of this one. Stylistically I prefer dragon nest. Still despite it being published by Nexon it has a lot more polish than most give it credit for and is a challenging game. I kinda consider both of those games cousins.

Spiral knights- 4 swords link online
Raiderz- little bit of monster hunter and Tera mixed together

here are some games I haven't played but are on the horizon/out
Wizardy online- kinda like dark souls MMO from what I've seen so far.
Tera- I haven't played this one yet since the style wasn't that interesting but its going to be free to play pretty soon.

There's also a lot of free to play games that don't have the same gameplay as PSO2 but for this post I wanted to mention games in a similar vein.

because there is content to be experienced and there are things to be done to keep you busy

Please enlighten me. You don't have to go into any immense detail

Here are the main things to do that I've heard so far.
Time attacks/comparing scores after beating a level- never tickled my fancy
Hunt items-I don't like focusing heavily on RNG for item drops which makes me wonder why I care for PSO as a series as much as I do
monster mashing- I do like a challenge vs enemies and bosses alike.

Cyclon
Jan 22, 2013, 07:56 AM
Okay, you're obviously not looking into specifics there, but from what I've seen/played, Vindictus is the only one that might be truly similar. I'll try playing it myself so I can tell you for sure.

Otherwise, PSO 2 is not a button masher, each hit counts, and enemies in this game are neither trash nor bosses with huge lifebars that take ten minutes to defeat when properly prepared. Everything dies quickly in this game, wether it's you taking hits of the weakest monster of your level, or the strongest bosses if dealt with properly.
Speaking of bosses, they also aren't about mindlessly attacking while occasionaly dodging an attack, like most MMOs, and killing them efficiently is done by targetting certain parts of their body, which once destroyed, will stun them and grant more loot once they're down/take considerably higher damage. As a hunter in particular, hitting these require you to get out of your way or put yourself in danger, since they're rarely reached by simply walking to the boss and attacking, and hitboxes are quite precise in this game.

Which brings me to my next point, this game has a much more "vertical" gameplay than most other action-mmos; jumping plays a huge role, since every offensive/defensive action can be used in the air, enabling aerial combos for close ranged classes. Also, hunters cannot reach flying ennemies otherwise.
Some weapons are actually more efficient when used exclusively in the air, like daggers or launchers, and arguably mechguns.

Weapons are also unique and play differently from one another, the best proof to this being that we only have thirteen different weapon types(much less than PSO or PSU), and hardly anyone's complaining. You also make your own style of gameplay as a hunter, since you "create" your combos.
I have only spoken of hunter(which implies fighter as well, even though their weapon choices are quite different), but all three main classes play completely differently, aside from weapons that also play differently. While hunter could be classified as the most classic of the three, ranger and force are quite unique.

Also, one of this game's particularity is how randomized everything is. This might seem like a bad thing(and sometime it is), but it has its advantages. Anyway, areas are randomized, the people you will play with are too(sort of), and most important, there are what we call emergency codes, which are random events, that, while area bound for most, can take place at any time, transition into one another, and are numerous enough not to feel too repetitive.
E.g.; a random npc could need your help to fight enemies that are after him, an allied spaceship may crash near you and need your protection until it's done with repairs, items will appear troughout the block that you must collect and bring back to a precise location, or a boss that you must defeat or capture may show up. These are only some examples, as there really are quite a lot(some are very similar though).
There are other particularities, but let's not get TOO specific either. Since I didn't know for sure how much you actually knew, I thought I might as well be precise.

Please enlighten me. You don't have to go into any immense detailOh. Well I think there's a slight misunderstanding, but I'll try to list what I can think of anyway.

Matter board. Takes quite a lot of time to complete. Through the matter board you unlock story chapters, which are solo only. Catch is, it's mostly comprised of basic fetch quests. Also, japanese.

Emergency quests. Whole ship(server)time based missions; one out of about ten is selected and everyone can run it for a limited duration, depending on the mission itself; the shortest is fifteen minute long, the longest is an hour. These happen every two or three hours. You of course cannot access them otherwise. They're rather fun, and rewarding too, so most people participate in them. As of now, the final boss of this game is EQ only.

Interrupt ranking. Whole ship, kill this enemy as many times as you can during -I'm not sure how long-. The best ones out of you all will be rewarded with a cookie. These happen from time to time.

Cosmetic stuff, specifically MyRoom. It is a time limited feature that you must pay to access(thankfully they're never erased afaik), but technically you can get it for free. Otherwise it's pretty self-explanatory. It's an instanced place that's yours alone, but that other people can access. Note that this feature is far more interesting than it was in PSU imo, though it's account bound.
Also "dressing up" your character can take some time, if you're into this.

There is other minor stuff, like COs(client orders, the quests of this game), or simply building up your character(read subclass), but while not being things that take very little time(it would rather be the opposite), they're still about you killing monsters, even moreso than most of the above. They're more of a reason to actually do so. Note that most COs are repeatable daily/weekly.

Rien
Jan 22, 2013, 08:05 AM
Everyone waits around for content updates. I'd say they're slow, but at least they're somewhat steady. Though they're not always substantial.

Endgame consists of doing the same thing you did to reach the cap, only slightly faster. All there is to do is get more money and upgrade your gear. For what? To get more money and upgrade your gear. Not like there's any gear checks or anything actually difficult that would require it, it's just raising numbers for the sake of raising numbers.

I say two/one-manning one of the newer Emergencies/quests is already a pretty serious Gear Check.

GreenArcher
Jan 22, 2013, 12:04 PM
Personally, I'm glad it's a small world. For once I can spend a majority of my time actually playing the game.

What's that? You want to kill this monster? Enjoy spending 30 minutes getting there! No thanks.

Black Nova
Jan 22, 2013, 12:10 PM
I find the main problem with PSO2 is simply the way the game progresses. In PSO1 the progression was quite linear which was nice because you didn't have to replay the forest 3-4 times to get to the caves. In PSO2 you may have to do a mission 5-6 times to finish all the COs to unlock a new area. This leaves the player feeling bored because they are forced to do the same area several times instead of just moping up the enemies and moving on.

ShinMaruku
Jan 22, 2013, 12:16 PM
COs need some slight redesigns I will agree. Also they need more things like the special events rather than just stacking ship when they occur I think such things should be unlocked.

gigawuts
Jan 22, 2013, 12:35 PM
CO's that scale rewards with difficulty activated on would be good (i.e. rockbears from hans could be unspecified rewards until you kill 1 rockbear on normal, then it's normal until you turn it in or reset it to activate on hard for better rewards).

There should also be optional sub-objectives, and alternate methods of completion. For a game made in 2012 it sure makes a lot of 2005 mistakes.

ShinMaruku
Jan 22, 2013, 04:08 PM
CO's that scale rewards with difficulty activated on would be good (i.e. rockbears from hans could be unspecified rewards until you kill 1 rockbear on normal, then it's normal until you turn it in or reset it to activate on hard for better rewards).

There should also be optional sub-objectives, and alternate methods of completion. For a game made in 2012 it sure makes a lot of 2005 mistakes.

Sega's mindset is back in 2004 http://www.hotbloodedgaming.com/forum/images/smilies/Kappa.png

Syklo
Jan 22, 2013, 05:50 PM
Which brings me to my next point, this game has a much more "vertical" gameplay than most other action-mmos; jumping plays a huge role, since every offensive/defensive action can be used in the air, enabling aerial combos for close ranged classes. Also, hunters cannot reach flying ennemies otherwise.
Some weapons are actually more efficient when used exclusively in the air, like daggers or launchers, and arguably mechguns.

Probably the biggest point for me. I don't get why games like DN and vindi lack aerial gameplay, if any. At least c9 had SOME form of "vertical" gameplay so I liked it much more than the former 2.

Whatever the "issue" is, I'm still enjoying this game.

Cyclon
Jan 24, 2013, 09:36 PM
Okay, you're obviously not looking into specifics there, but from what I've seen/played, Vindictus is the only one that might be truly similar. I'll try playing it myself so I can tell you for sure.
Yup, out of all the games in your list, Vindictus is the closest to PSO 2 imo. I wouldn't say they're the same gameplay wise though; then again, maybe that's just me.

Edit: just in case, haven't played Dragon Nest. Just watched videos, didn't seem that similar.