PDA

View Full Version : Weapon type recommendation

Grayburg
Jan 20, 2013, 06:52 PM
I'm going to start playing PSO2 soon, but I don't know which weapon type to use.

I'd prefer a weapon that
takes skill to use at a high level,
solos bosses well,
and looks flashy.

Like, Great Swords in MH take a lot of skill to use at the highest level (perfectly timed and spaced charged attacks), but doing a single attack over and over is boring.

Twin Sabers in PSU were very flashy, but combat in PSU was very stat-reliant, so every weapon type was easy and capable of soloing.

Watched a few solo videos, but a lot of weapons didn't look too appealing. (Why is everyone doing those awkward looking air combos? lol)

Valimer
Jan 20, 2013, 06:58 PM
I play a ranger and Shooting from the air is easier with launchers because you get a better vantage point, and less chance of missing.

I've played all the classes, from my experience Hunters probably take the most skill jsut because you have to get up in the Boss's face.

Rangers take skill only because getting a weak bullet and landing that sniper shot deals tons of damage and can be very tricky against bosses that move around a lot, like the Fang Banther.

Rob2003ert
Jan 20, 2013, 07:11 PM
Hunter and Fighter take by far the most "skill" of any of the classes, though you'll find you perform worse than something like a FO in most situations, despite how easy it is to play. To me it makes it the most fun class and makes outperforming other players all the more satisfying but you need to be comfortable with that. You shouldn't be limiting yourself to a single weapon though. A Fighter subbing Hunter can use all 6 melee (7 if you count Gunslash) well and with how many skill points we have available now you don't have to sacrifice anything on your skill tree to do so. Admittedly I don't touch my Partisan or Wirelance much, but I constantly swap between Sword, Daggers, Knuckles and Double Saber for different situations.

Kondibon
Jan 20, 2013, 07:13 PM
Honestly any of the weapons can solo bosses pretty easily with practice. I think wired lances might have the highest learning curve though since the grab PAs can't be canceled. They're also really flashy with lots of spinning. I personally like swords but I don't think you'd find them very exciting.

Dual sabers in PSO2 have a lot of style to them but their only real downside is that they lack a block/dodge like other hunter/fighter weapons do. I honestly can't gauge skill curves because frankly. the game is really easy once you get used to it. Things like the Banthers and Quartz Dragon (Maybe vol dragon but I dunno) might be a bit harder but as of right now they're the exception not the rule. I've also heard clones are a pain in the ass but that's more out of the fact that they use cheap player skills and PAs than anything.

And most people jump because whacking a boss's ankles isn't usually very effective. It also gives you a better vantage point for ranged attacks.

EDIT: I missunderstood what you were asking. I Agree with Rob2003ert. Just about all the hunter/fighter weapons require you to be awake while playing and limiting your self to just one weapon sounds like it would get boring after a while if anything.

Seravi Edalborez
Jan 20, 2013, 07:19 PM
Vast oversimplification: the best ways to do damage don't take a lot of skill.

Hunter: Spam Sonic Arrow (an even more vast oversimplification, there's some slightly more advanced stuff you can do with sword gear charged). Wired Lance's Holding Current has some niche use (Falz Elder).

Fighter: Deadly Archer spam. Knuckles and Twin Dagger require more skill for far, far less payoff.

Gunner/Ranger: Weak Bullet, spam anything (Elder Rebellion, Infinity Fire, Sneak Shooter, One Point whatever)

Force or Techer: Spam Safoie, Rafoie, Zan, whatever.

Kirine
Jan 20, 2013, 07:26 PM

Hunter: Spam Sonic Arrow (an even more vast oversimplification, there's some slightly more advanced stuff you can do with sword gear charged). Wired Lance's Holding Current has some niche use (Falz Elder).

Fighter: Deadly Archer spam. Knuckles and Twin Dagger require more skill for far, far less payoff.

Gunner/Ranger: Weak Bullet, spam anything (Elder Rebellion, Infinity Fire, Sneak Shooter, One Point whatever)

Force or Techer: Spam Safoie, Rafoie, Zan, whatever.

This is pretty accurate.

The problem that pso2 has is that more skilled combos/weapon use != does not make you more efficient at killing.

Even if you decide to do a supreme array of action and combo, some of the more abusable technics will do the same thing but with less effort.

However, playing the game in a unique way is pretty fun and it does raise the fun in it.

Kondibon
Jan 20, 2013, 07:31 PM

Force or Techer: Spam Safoie, Rafoie, Zan, whatever.I think what he's asking is for things that aren't like that but are still pretty good solo. He's not asking for the best ways to do damage, just something fun without a lot of loss. But those are specific PAs, he doesn't have to use those if he doesn't want to.

johnwolf
Jan 21, 2013, 02:21 AM
flashiest class(es) i've seen are Gunner and Fighter. and to be fair, fighter just dose far more damge then a gunner, especaly if it has a hunter subclass. Hunter however dose the most damage then any class in the game but they are SLOW. hell, hunters only fastest attacking weapon is the partizan. this includes normal attacks as well as PA's. the fighters have knuckles, double sabers, and twin daggers. the knuckles hit almost as hard as swords and attack much faster normaly. problem is that most of the pa's leave the player wide open because they "wind up" for a split second. Double sabers are flashy as hell and are fast. most of the pa's focus on a flurry of hits. problem with that though is you're left wide open because of the length of some of the attacks. Daggers are fast, can keep you airborn, and are pritty flashy them selves. their only flaw i see is that they have a low damage output.

oh and that being said, gunners aren't bad. they have vary high "substainable" dps because they don't realy need to move much to be able to hit the target.

Menasthos
Jan 21, 2013, 08:20 AM
Force, dodge when needed, and you're done for long ;)

Z-0
Jan 21, 2013, 08:34 AM
Homing Emission = most broken PA.

Alucard V
Jan 21, 2013, 08:46 AM
For Force/Techer I'd say Tails. It's non-tech attack throws out a card which floats there for a bit but any Techniques you cast will be cast from the card. That means if your a support Tech user you can throw one close to your allies and cast Resta from a safe range. If your attack based there's Zondeel ( ゾンディール) the monster magnet.

Grayburg
Jan 21, 2013, 11:13 AM
To clarify, I do just mean a weapon that's fun to use. Not interested in dealing the absolute best deeps. I don't, however, want a weapon that kills bosses 3 times slower than others.

I'll switch around weapons when I do get bored, of course. That's one of my favorite things about Phantasy Star and Monster Hunter. But I was wondering which weapon was agreed upon for being the most "stylish" in a fight.

Btw, do certain weapons have fewer invincibility frames on their dodges than others? Dodging/parrying through attacks is really appealing. I don't know where to read about that sort of information. I just see lists of actual weapons on various wikis.

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 21, 2013, 01:24 PM
Honestly I'd say TMGs They're flashy as all hell and have a decent learning curve for their shift dodge. When coupled with RA for WB, a gunner can use chain trigger to wreck bosses very quickly, easily under a minute for most of them even on vhard with good gear.

Seravi Edalborez
Jan 21, 2013, 01:56 PM
Btw, do certain weapons have fewer invincibility frames on their dodges than others? Dodging/parrying through attacks is really appealing. I don't know where to read about that sort of information. I just see lists of actual weapons on various wikis.

Step (dodge for Hunter/Fighter weapons and Gunslash): Short invincibility, but quick movement.

Dodge Roll (dodge for Ranger/Gunner weapons): Slightly longer invinc than Step, but has ending lag that leaves you vulnerable (can be cancelled with Twin Machinegun Shift).

Mirage Escape (dodge for Force/Techer weapons): Ridiculously long invincible time. Ground version has some ending lag. Air version will stop early if you hit an elevation change and is otherwise quicker.

Guard (Hunter weapons): Not "invincible", takes PP to guard, and some attacks can't be guarded. But...

Just Guard (Hunter weapons): Can nullify absolutely everything from enemies, provided you have good timing (somewhat generous). Swords and Partizans can cancel most of their moves into a guard before they finish (though Partizans need to jump, then guard cancel).

Twin Dagger shift (Fighter): Short invincibility time but, like Just Guard, will nullify attacks.

Knuckle shift (Fighter): Extremely short invincibility time. Mostly just used to reset your attack chain. But Knuckle attacks can almost always be cancelled by shift, and you can jump or use Step during/after shift since it's very quick.

Twin Machinegun shift (Gunner): Moderate invincible time, flips to the side or back even in midair. Every 3rd flip in a row is a slower one (bullet time!), and can cancel most PAs into shift.

Misc: Some attacks have auto-guard during their animations. Acro Effect (Double Saber) has auto-guard through most of it, and many Twin Dagger attacks (even normal attacks) have very short windows of auto-guard while you're slashing.

I'd go for Gunner, since part of the skill in that class/weapon is knowing what situations are better suited for another weapon. Rifle for Weak Bullet, Gunslash and Launcher for some crowd control situations.

Grayburg
Jan 21, 2013, 05:13 PM
Oh, wow. Just Guarding sounds pretty cool. Royal Guard is my favorite style in DMC3.

So Partisans can jump cancel, then cancel that jump into a guard?

Dual sabers in PSO2 have a lot of style to them but their only real downside is that they lack a block/dodge like other hunter/fighter weapons do.
So.. what? Do Dual Sabers not have the "Step" dodge mentioned by Seravi?

Seravi Edalborez
Jan 21, 2013, 05:36 PM
Dual Saber has Step, but their shift isn't defensive like Guard or TD parry/Knuckle dodge. Purely offensive. It's a more high-risk weapon.

Skye-Fox713
Jan 21, 2013, 06:16 PM
Homing Emission = most broken PA.

Works best with bosses with multiple lock on points, and IRC i think they increased the lock on range for the PA.

Bosses its good against... Banther/Banshee, Mamoth break points, Wolgana and Ruins free roam boss, Dark Falz hands. All of which have at least 5 lock on points.